Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pikeville Spring Practice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The Panthers had their first practice tonight and it seemed to go pretty well.
How many kids came out? How do the linemen look?
Did they give them leeway on the practice. I know it's normally you have 15 days directly after the basketball season is over to get your spring practice in. I was wondering if they cut them some slack since they didn't have a coach?
OMG Wrote:Did they give them leeway on the practice. I know it's normally you have 15 days directly after the basketball season is over to get your spring practice in. I was wondering if they cut them some slack since they didn't have a coach?

Micheal Copley is the new head coach.
ComfortEagle Wrote:How many kids came out? How do the linemen look?

There were right at 30 that got equipment. There are some that couldn't be there. There is also around 20 freshmen to be that showed up to watch from the sidelines. It was a good practice and there has already been improvement from last year.
Redneck Wrote:Micheal Copley is the new head coach.

Yea I know that, but the basketball season was over well before they hired him. Usually they have 15 days to get 10 days of practice in starting the day after basektball ends. I just wondered since basketball ended before they got a coach if they were still going to let him have his full spring?
You have 15 days from the first practice to get in 10 days of work. When they start it really doesn't matter, it's just common for teams to start after basketball season.
Who will be the asst. coaches this year on Copely's staff?
OMG Wrote:Did they give them leeway on the practice. I know it's normally you have 15 days directly after the basketball season is over to get your spring practice in. I was wondering if they cut them some slack since they didn't have a coach?

KHSAA give someone a breakBig Grin

Actually the 1st day Pikeville could have practiced was March 10, Copley was hired March 11 and the 1st practice was March 13. They can get the 10 days of practice in with no problems.
Copley will do great. Anyone heard who the assistants are?
BlueBells Wrote:Copley will do great. Anyone heard who the assistants are?
His Assitants are:
Jason "Gravy" Anderson
Mark Wheeler
Mike Roberts
Matt Branham
Paul Sullivan
I also saw former Pikeville great QB Doug Powers out there helping tonight. Good sign that some former greats are helping out with the program. I didnt get to say it earlier in the week but congrats to Coach Copely. The reaction from the kids Ive talked to so far is very positive about how things are going now.
Doug Powers is a heck of a guy. I believe he went to Marshall to be the person to fill Chad Pennington's shoes after he left but Leftwich was brought in around the same time. Good pick up by the staff if he stays on.
who and all are returning for the panthers this year.
DALE Wrote:You have 15 days from the first practice to get in 10 days of work. When they start it really doesn't matter, it's just common for teams to start after basketball season.

This is not correct! Actually you have three weeks to get in a maximum of 10 practices. Your three week period begins with the first week in which you no longer have either a boys or girls basketball team in post season play. For everyone in the 15th but Paintsville and JC that means your three weeks either began the week of the regional tournament or the week following the regional tournament. I will look for the actual rule.
The actual rule is KHSAA By-law 25, a portion of which is pasted below

8) Each football school may conduct ten (10) practice periods of
not more than two (2) hours in length and not more than one
practice per day over ten (10) days during the three calendar
school weeks following the school’s elimination from postseason
play in basketball. All equipment authorized by the
football playing rules may be used during this period. There
can be no inter-school competition during this period, and all
participants must be eligible according to all KHSAA eligibility
rules.
I'm glad you found that rule and proved me right.
What kind of Offense/Defense is he going to run at Pikeville? The same thing Coach Jackson ran?

Where was copley last season, an assistant at Pikeville?
One thing i have noticed since Copley has gotten the head coaching position is all the new faces out this year...he really has the players excited about Pikeville Football
I hope Spring Practice really shows them how much they have been missing in not playing the past years...i firmly believe Pikeville Football is headed in the right direction!
TRAIN85 Wrote:There were right at 30 that got equipment. There are some that couldn't be there. There is also around 20 freshmen to be that showed up to watch from the sidelines. It was a good practice and there has already been improvement from last year.

If there are 30 with equipment, 20 possibly coming on as freshmen and a few (let's guess 10 here) that could not be there, is it really possible that the Panthers could have 60 players? This seems like an unreal number for a school as small as us. Not meant to be negative in any way. Only trying to be realistic.
Back in the day, it was not unusual for Pikeville to have 50 players..... at least to start the season! Good luck Panthers.... I hope the adjustment is a smooth one!
Beechwood gets that many out. It's a great sign that the kids believe in the coach for a school that small to get that many players out.
I know this thread is not about this but I'm curious about Pikeville's random drug testing. I know Copley is on staff so he could randomly be tested, but what about assistant coaches and others helping who are not teachers?

Good to hear the high numbers coming out and expected with freshmen. Way to go Panthers!
Panther Tradition Wrote:I know this thread is not about this but I'm curious about Pikeville's random drug testing. I know Copley is on staff so he could randomly be tested, but what about assistant coaches and others helping who are not teachers?

Good to hear the high numbers coming out and expected with freshmen. Way to go Panthers!

Are you one of the coaches that's worried about this? HaHa i'm just kidding really I was just joking.
Everyone affiliated with the school in some aspect is subject to random drug testing....even if they are not on the payroll.
FOOTBALLFORLIFE Wrote:What kind of Offense/Defense is he going to run at Pikeville? The same thing Coach Jackson ran?

Where was copley last season, an assistant at Pikeville?
Copely has been DC at Pikeville since 2005. Hes running a Power I/ Belly offense like last year. This season IMO this offense will be more effective than it was last year. From what Ive been told hes going to simplify the terminologies and blocking schemes to make it less complicated for the players. IMO this will do nothing but help. Copely will run a 4-3 just like he has been running.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Copely has been DC at Pikeville since 2005. Hes running a Power I/ Belly offense like last year. This season IMO this offense will be more effective than it was last year. From what Ive been told hes going to simplify the terminologies and blocking schemes to make it less complicated for the players. IMO this will do nothing but help. Copely will run a 4-3 just like he has been running.

I know my son has gym with Copley and has told me because of him there are alot of guys who haven't played that are going to because of him. Reminds me of Coach Stewart of WVU, the kids up there all love him and it sure showed during the Fiesta Bowl. He has assembled a great staff and he said that practices would be open to the public and the media. The reference in the news said the boys knew from him that they wouldn't be verbally abused so badly. That's why Rodriquez closed it. I can get you the quote. I think respect begets respect. I'm not saying that had anything to do with Jackson, I'm just saying when the kids are really fond of a coach they really want to learn and play for them when they are going to get commended but yet firmly disciplined when needed.
Paul Sullivan and Matt Branham are very great guys that will make great assistants and also will let the boys feel they can come to them if they have problems. I know both of them and that are wonderful men.
Panther Tradition Wrote:I know this thread is not about this but I'm curious about Pikeville's random drug testing. I know Copley is on staff so he could randomly be tested, but what about assistant coaches and others helping who are not teachers?

Yes, assistant coaches are subject to drug testing and have been drug tested before.
Chuck Taylor Wrote:If there are 30 with equipment, 20 possibly coming on as freshmen and a few (let's guess 10 here) that could not be there, is it really possible that the Panthers could have 60 players? This seems like an unreal number for a school as small as us. Not meant to be negative in any way. Only trying to be realistic.

I was there to fit all of the kids, and there were close to thirty that got fitted. Some of them that got equipment are not dressing out though because of baseball, which should be understandable. There are twenty if not more eighth graders to be freshmen that are not allowed to practice. Then there are always a few kids that could decide to play by the time the season starts.
Pages: 1 2