Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley-59 Pike County Central-54
BlueStripes Wrote:Well most are hold backs so young in years dont play a factor either. Most the sophs are 17 maybe almost 18.

Thats exactly right i was referrin to:thumpsup:
my hawks are playing much better. Thompson has done a great job!
What is happening to Valley?
Valley is a bad spot right now. They played a lot of big early season games and tournaments and did really well. Now they are in a stretch of their schedule that are games they know they are supposed to win and I think every game since the trip to New York they are not playing with very much intensity. I think you will see a different team Friday against Pikeville and going into the All A. You know it is always dangerous when your turning the switch on and off.
I hope Valley is on top of their game in the All "A". I would rather see them beat Paintsville while playin their best then to see us beat them while they are havin a rough time.
5timechamp Wrote:Valley is a bad spot right now. They played a lot of big early season games and tournaments and did really well. Now they are in a stretch of their schedule that are games they know they are supposed to win and I think every game since the trip to New York they are not playing with very much intensity. I think you will see a different team Friday against Pikeville and going into the All A. You know it is always dangerous when your turning the switch on and off.

Good post.

I agree, something is not right with Valley. This makes three straight games where they have let a lesser opponent hang around a lot closer than they should have. Granted, they have all been road games, which are always tougher to win by a blowout, but still.

I think you hit the nail on the head in that they are not playing with a lot of intensity right now. An earlier poster remarked that it seemed SV was going at about 75% tonight, which may be enough to squeak by Pike Central but won't get it done against stronger competition. I suppose if I was a player, I might have a hard time getting up for a meaningless local game after having played so much elite competition over the past month (Male, DeSales, J-Town, Miami Senior, Holy Cross).

I guess we will find out in this Friday if this is just a matter of not being fired up for a lesser opponent, or if the problems run deeper. Important district game against a rival like Pikeville, and back at home, if they can't get things turned around for that one it will be a long night.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ashley Hatfield led the Wildcats with 28 points and 11 rebounds, and was 8-8 from the line.
Elisha had 9 points, 7 assists, and 5 rebounds.
Jacob Bryant had 7 points, 5 rebounds, and 3 assists.
Jonah had 4 points and 3 rebounds.
Logan had 4 points and 3 steals.
Cody Varney had 4 points.
Tyler Newsome had 3 points and 3 rebounds.

Unofficially:
Valley shot 21-59 (35%) from the field.
They shot 4-24 (16%) from the 3 point line.
They shot 13-17 (76%) from the free throw line.
They had 31 rebounds, 13 assists, 14 steals, and 11 turnovers.

Pike Central shot 22-43 (51%) from the field.
They shot 2-3 (67%) from the 3 point line.
They shot 8-16 (50%) from the free throw line.
They had 34 rebounds and 17 turnovers.
J-DUB23 Wrote:PC played really well. They broke the press almost every time. Free Throws is what killed them though. They didnt hit them the whole game and in the end missed 3 front end bonuses. Colby Slone had a great game, he took over.
Hatfield had something like 30 pts. and hit free throws in the end to beat the Hawks.
Conrats Wildcats & Great effort from the Hawks!

Valley didn't press all that much. They started out in a full court man to man, which I don't consider to be a press. They dropped into half court man later, playing a little run-and-jump. They played some 2-2-1, but not very much. They also went to a 1-2-2 for a few possessions. They mostly played half court man and half court 1-2-2.

It is hard for Valley to score against a zone. I think teams are beginning to see this. They took entirely too many threes. They shot 11 in the first quarter, making 2.

I think teams away from here don't know much about Valley, and how to play them, so that is what contributes partly to their success against those teams. The teams around the region have them scouted very well.
EKY Sportster Wrote:It sounds like the Hawks can say that they beat themselves at the line rather than lost to Valley. Anyway, good effort by the Hawks!!

That's not exactly true. Pike Central hit a 30 foot 3 pointer at the buzzer to put the margin at 5. Ashley Hatfield did a nice job down the stretch hitting his free throws and keeping PCC from having a chance at the victory.
:Thumbs:
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:Ashley Hatfield led the Wildcats with 28 points and 11 rebounds, and was 8-8 from the line.
Elisha had 9 points, 7 assists, and 5 rebounds.
Jacob Bryant had 7 points, 5 rebounds, and 3 assists.
Jonah had 4 points and 3 rebounds.
Logan had 4 points and 3 steals.
Cody Varney had 4 points.
Tyler Newsome had 3 points and 3 rebounds.

Unofficially:
Valley shot 21-59 (35%) from the field.
They shot 4-24 (16%) from the 3 point line.
They shot 13-17 (76%) from the free throw line.
They had 31 rebounds, 13 assists, 14 steals, and 11 turnovers.

Pike Central shot 22-43 (51%) from the field.
They shot 2-3 (67%) from the 3 point line.
They shot 8-16 (50%) from the free throw line.
They had 34 rebounds and 17 turnovers.

I haven't watched them a lot this year, but I think they may try to do too much. I have never seen so many players try to make a no look pass. Keep it simple and things will come together.
By looking at the stats I would have to agree that they shoot to many 3's. They also have people on the team that shouldn't even think about shooting a three but will throw it up anyways.
The number that stands out to me the most is that they only had 13 assist. Elisha had seven assist so that leaves 6 assist for a whole them. I wasn't at the game but I can tell you right now that there is no way that they shared the ball and made the extra pass like they have in the past.
SV will be fine, but right now someone needs to step up and be a leader every night. You have to be consitant night in and night out. You have to have one or two players that is going to get 15-20 points a game. A coach has to count on that and right now coach Booher doesn't have that.
Bottom line a win is an win and it is very hard to get up for a weaker apponent, but when the time comes they will be ready.:Thumbs:
Nice job Hawks. Valley better play better than this if they want to blow out Pikeville like I know they do.
looks like Hatfield had a good game.....valley needs to start steppin it up before or during the all A...good effort PC
Good job cats and i heard hatfield played very well
Valley may have a little burn-out right now.
good game by both teams.
congrats valley
hootie Wrote::Thumbs:

I haven't watched them a lot this year, but I think they may try to do too much. I have never seen so many players try to make a no look pass. Keep it simple and things will come together.
By looking at the stats I would have to agree that they shoot to many 3's. They also have people on the team that shouldn't even think about shooting a three but will throw it up anyways.
The number that stands out to me the most is that they only had 13 assist. Elisha had seven assist so that leaves 6 assist for a whole them. I wasn't at the game but I can tell you right now that there is no way that they shared the ball and made the extra pass like they have in the past.
SV will be fine, but right now someone needs to step up and be a leader every night. You have to be consitant night in and night out. You have to have one or two players that is going to get 15-20 points a game. A coach has to count on that and right now coach Booher doesn't have that.
Bottom line a win is an win and it is very hard to get up for a weaker apponent, but when the time comes they will be ready.:Thumbs:

Valley has a leader, and they all know who that is. I don't even think I need to put his name on here, everyone knows.
GREAT game from both teams.
pike central seemed really pumped up for this game and it showed with colby slone having a great game with 23 points
5timechamp Wrote:Valley is a bad spot right now. They played a lot of big early season games and tournaments and did really well. Now they are in a stretch of their schedule that are games they know they are supposed to win and I think every game since the trip to New York they are not playing with very much intensity. I think you will see a different team Friday against Pikeville and going into the All A. You know it is always dangerous when your turning the switch on and off.

I agree! I think that they pick two good games to play below their capabilities. Now when they play teams like Pikeville and possibly Paintsville (in the All A) they MUST but on their game to avoid being spanked.
The Pike Central game seems to be very similar to the ER game. I have not looked at any stats from the game but lately it seems like Logan has had a bad couple weeks. If the team can get their normal scoring components clicking again and kick that amazing defense up to normal intensity I believe that they will be fine.
This one shocked me...Good Job Hawks on keeping it close!
More Cowbell Wrote:Good post.

I agree, something is not right with Valley. This makes three straight games where they have let a lesser opponent hang around a lot closer than they should have. Granted, they have all been road games, which are always tougher to win by a blowout, but still.

I think you hit the nail on the head in that they are not playing with a lot of intensity right now. An earlier poster remarked that it seemed SV was going at about 75% tonight, which may be enough to squeak by Pike Central but won't get it done against stronger competition. I suppose if I was a player, I might have a hard time getting up for a meaningless local game after having played so much elite competition over the past month (Male, DeSales, J-Town, Miami Senior, Holy Cross).

I guess we will find out in this Friday if this is just a matter of not being fired up for a lesser opponent, or if the problems run deeper. Important district game against a rival like Pikeville, and back at home, if they can't get things turned around for that one it will be a long night.

I watched SV play Male at the Expo center and was ashamed to be from Pike Co. due to the biased officiating. Due to this reason Male said they would never return to play in a tournament again in Pikeville. Can't quite say I blame them.
fairplayer Wrote:I watched SV play Male at the Expo center and was ashamed to be from Pike Co. due to the biased officiating. Due to this reason Male said they would never return to play in a tournament again in Pikeville. Can't quite say I blame them.

Well then let them stay in Louisville!Big Grin
fairplayer Wrote:I watched SV play Male at the Expo center and was ashamed to be from Pike Co. due to the biased officiating. Due to this reason Male said they would never return to play in a tournament again in Pikeville. Can't quite say I blame them.
The only thing Male can be mad about is getting outplayed. Valley missed 5 or 6 lay ups that could have opened the Male game up... It sounds like you are a bit jealous of SV's win.
Maybe someone from Male did feel they got ripped, but it wouldn't be the first time that a team blamed their loss on something other than their own play...Rolleyes
Larry Legend Wrote:The only thing Male can be mad about is getting outplayed. Valley missed 5 or 6 lay ups that could have opened the Male game up... It sounds like you are a bit jealous of SV's win.
Maybe someone from Male did feel they got ripped, but it wouldn't be the first time that a team blamed their loss on something other than their own play...Rolleyes

I agree 100%.

Smile Yeah that's why the refs gave them 2 FT's for a chance to win at the end of the game. Something makes me wonder if they'd have called that if they really *wanted* Shelby Valley to win.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]