Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th Region Freshmen for 2007-08
ERblue4ever Wrote:Pikeville's incoming freshmen all should be sophomores, they were held back a year. The big kid from Elkhorn City (Jake McClanhan) who will be enrolling at East Ridge is a good looking prospect. He is 6-6 and he can play. Pikeville has tried to recruit him to go alone with Devan Adams (South Floyd), Clevinger (Pike Central), Jordan Bell (Shelby Valley), and Tim Honaker (Betsy Layne), I'm sure I missed a few more. Is Pikevile's talent pool that weak that they have to recruit other kids from other schools?

I'm sure that Paul Deese just happened to fall out of the sky??? It's also very well known that Coach Hurley begged the big kid from Haysi to come and take Brandon Ratliff's spot to assure ER's spot in the 15th Region Championship!Confusedhh:
Has anyone even considered the fact that maybe, just maybe people may transfer to Pikeville for the educational aspect of going to school? Why does every move have to do with sports? I know some cases, it wasnt for sports but more for convenience and the educational aspect.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Has anyone even considered the fact that maybe, just maybe people may transfer to Pikeville for the educational aspect of going to school? Why does every move have to do with sports? I know some cases, it wasnt for sports but more for convenience and the educational aspect.

Are or have those kids went to college on a academic scholarship?
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:Are or have those kids went to college on a academic scholarship?

Any of those mentioned, not that I know of because they are all underclassmen. But yes, Pikeville did have a basketball player off the 06-07 that is going to attend Georgetown College on a academic scholarship.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Any of those mentioned, not that I know of because they are all underclassmen. But yes, Pikeville did have a basketball player off the 06-07 that is going to attend Georgetown College on a academic scholarship.

And he transferred to Pikeville because he was trying to better his educational standards?
I think not, I bet he went through Pikeville his whole life.

I want you to name me a person who transferred to Pikeville, didn't play a sport, and is going to college on a academic scholly, I know of Andrew Carter, I think is his name, and he came from Virgie, he'll be attending Georgia Tech.
thepharmacist Wrote:I'm sure that Paul Deese just happened to fall out of the sky??? It's also very well known that Coach Hurley begged the big kid from Haysi to come and take Brandon Ratliff's spot to assure ER's spot in the 15th Region Championship!Confusedhh:

Really, is that why both started?
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:And he transferred to Pikeville because he was trying to better his educational standards?
I think not, I bet he went through Pikeville his whole life.

I want you to name me a person who transferred to Pikeville, didn't play a sport, and is going to college on a academic scholly, I know of Andrew Carter, I think is his name, and he came from Virgie, he'll be attending Georgia Tech.

Seems to me like it would be more impressive to name athletes that got an academic scholarship than non athletes. Not to mention because the whole conversation started because ERblue was the one who said Pikeville recruits athletes. BTW, what would Pikevilles recruiting strategy have been while the ones he mentioned was in middle school?
It's not hard to see that unlike what you said, people don't transfer to Pikeville for academics, they transfer for sports.
1. Betsy Layne
2. Johnson Central
These two are probally the top 2.

This thread isnt about Pikeville and the people they have recruited.
The_Pistol Wrote:1. Betsy Layne
2. Johnson Central
These two are probally the top 2.

This thread isnt about Pikeville and the people they have recruited.

Johnson Central, Belfry, and Martin County are about the same, actually Martin County is better than Belfry and JC
When you have a successful program, kids (and parents) want to join sometimes without any coaxing from the coaches. Bart is doing a good job at Pikeville.

Also, for those of you who don't know "HOBO" on here, I will bet you that this time next year, very few, if any that watch high school basketball in the 15th in 07-08 will be asking "who is Hobo?". He is a very talented kid who should be a big help to where ever he decides to play ball. Btw, his real name is Freddie McCoy, ring any bells to anyone who watched basketball in the 80's at Mullins and Prestonsburg? His dad was an incredible scorer. He averaged something like 40 a game his senior year at P-burg. Like I said, Hobo is a player and will definitely be a force.
Evil Twin Wrote:When you have a successful program, kids (and parents) want to join sometimes without any coaxing from the coaches. Bart is doing a good job at Pikeville.

Also, for those of you who don't know "HOBO" on here, I will bet you that this time next year, very few, if any that watch high school basketball in the 15th in 07-08 will be asking "who is Hobo?". He is a very talented kid who should be a big help to where ever he decides to play ball. Btw, his real name is Freddie McCoy, ring any bells to anyone who watched basketball in the 80's at Mullins and Prestonsburg? His dad was an incredible scorer. He averaged something like 40 a game his senior year at P-burg. Like I said, Hobo is a player and will definitely be a force.

Yes he is, without him Pikeville was not very good as he handled Belfry's press with ease something only Clay County did the entire year.

He got into some foul trouble in the 1st 2 games Belfry and Pikeville played and they were totally different without him.

Nice player and great attitude also
Evil Twin Wrote:When you have a successful program, kids (and parents) want to join sometimes without any coaxing from the coaches. Bart is doing a good job at Pikeville.

I dont know about that. When Pikeville played Betsy Layne he really struggled.
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:Yeah, Virgie and Dorton don't really have a lot to offer for Valley, Trey Roberts and his brother are okay, but they won't contribute to varsity any.

Trey *&* Rusty are very good ball players....but that is the only 2 I know from Virgie*** Dorton has a few very good ball players also though*
1. Jacob Robinson
2. Dustin Blevins
3. Channon Anderson *i'm not for sure if he's a 7th or 8th grader*
4. C.J. Addington

They may not make it for Varsity...but they'll contribute to Junior Varsity. You gotta start somewhere....you can't start on top*

*svhs-cheerleader*
Can you name any Basketball players!!!! NO How many are playing college Basketball!!! None Do not cut on the football program. A school the size of Pikeville needs to have have kids play multiple sports for it to be successful. That is the way it has been in the past 25 years. The pressure for kids to specialize has come about over the last couple of years which has caused some problems within the school system. Kids do not need to be pressured into committing to one sport.
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:It's not hard to see that unlike what you said, people don't transfer to Pikeville for academics, they transfer for sports.
Was that some sort of a cut on the academics at Pikeville? No other school east of I-75 can match the academics provided at Pikeville. The academic teams have won more state titles than any of the athletic squads. Test scores are in the top five state wide. It is a very well respected school for academics state wide.
hillbilly Wrote:Was that some sort of a cut on the academics at Pikeville? No other school east of I-75 can match the academics provided at Pikeville. The academic teams have won more state titles than any of the athletic squads. Test scores are in the top five state wide. It is a very well respected school for academics state wide.
That is a very good point hillbilly. Just remember that half of the people on here can't understand the simple english we use in everday conversation.
hillbilly Wrote:Can you name any Basketball players!!!! NO How many are playing college Basketball!!! None Do not cut on the football program. A school the size of Pikeville needs to have have kids play multiple sports for it to be successful. That is the way it has been in the past 25 years. The pressure for kids to specialize has come about over the last couple of years which has caused some problems within the school system. Kids do not need to be pressured into committing to one sport.
When I was in high school there was no pressure to specialize in one sport. I played baseball, basketball, football, and threw and ran track. Of course I have at least one regional championship in all four of those sports. I still got a football scholarship playing all four sports. These kids now a days that "specialize" in one sport are only hurting themselves. How many sports did Chase Gibson play-2, what about Jeremiah Akers-3, what about Matt Branham-2, what aboout Matt Walls-3. All of these guys played more than one sport and all of them got scholarships to play ball in college. So these kids now are just lazy kids that don't want to better themselves in my opinion. Playing ffotball helped me in basketball and baseball, playing baketball helped me in football and baseball. kids today are just too babied my mommies and daddies that don't want baby to get hurt. By playing sports you take on the risk of hurting. Suck it up!
belfry has a good class coming in
TRAIN85 Wrote:When I was in high school there was no pressure to specialize in one sport. I played baseball, basketball, football, and threw and ran track. Of course I have at least one regional championship in all four of those sports. I still got a football scholarship playing all four sports. These kids now a days that "specialize" in one sport are only hurting themselves. How many sports did Chase Gibson play-2, what about Jeremiah Akers-3, what about Matt Branham-2, what aboout Matt Walls-3. All of these guys played more than one sport and all of them got scholarships to play ball in college. So these kids now are just lazy kids that don't want to better themselves in my opinion. Playing ffotball helped me in basketball and baseball, playing baketball helped me in football and baseball. kids today are just too babied my mommies and daddies that don't want baby to get hurt. By playing sports you take on the risk of hurting. Suck it up!
Who is putting pressure on the Pikeville athletes to only play one sport??????
It appears to me the "top athletes" at PHS are spread around pretty well:
Daniel Harmon- 3 sports
Tim &Ted Honaker- 3 sports
Kory Brinker- 3 sports
Eric Shockey- 3 sports
Jordan Bell- 2 sports
Blake Branham- 2 sports
Patrick Keene- 2 sports
Houston McAnallen- 2 or 3 sports (if allowed)
ERblue4ever Wrote:Pikeville's incoming freshmen all should be sophomores, they were held back a year. The big kid from Elkhorn City (Jake McClanhan) who will be enrolling at East Ridge is a good looking prospect. He is 6-6 and he can play. Pikeville has tried to recruit him to go alone with Devan Adams (South Floyd), Clevinger (Pike Central), Jordan Bell (Shelby Valley), and Tim Honaker (Betsy Layne), I'm sure I missed a few more. Is Pikevile's talent pool that weak that they have to recruit other kids from other schools?
Clevinger (Pike Central)-Where do you get that from? He has lived in the Pikeville City School District since he was 5 years old. He never attended any school other than St. Francis Catholic School til 6th grade and started at Pikeville as a 7th grader. On that one, you are incorrect.
bball fan Wrote:Who is putting pressure on the Pikeville athletes to only play one sport??????
It appears to me the "top athletes" at PHS are spread around pretty well:
Daniel Harmon- 3 sports
Tim &Ted Honaker- 3 sports
Kory Brinker- 3 sports
Eric Shockey- 3 sports
Jordan Bell- 2 sports
Blake Branham- 2 sports
Patrick Keene- 2 sports
Houston McAnallen- 2 or 3 sports (if allowed)
I don't know who everyone else thinks it is but I know that the pressure is coming from the basketball coaches. 2 region championships in 33 years compared to 20+ in football. All that winning from one sport is bound to get the other sports coaches jealous and willing to do whatever they have to, to try and pull off a region championship. Most of the kids you named fill out the roster but don't see much if any playing time. Take for instance Matt Clevinger, he could pretty good at three different sports as opposed to being mediocre in one. He is a good kid who could be a whole lot more if he gave himself the opportunity to expand his horizons.
Pikevilles talent pool is not that weak that they have to recruit. They don't recruit. These are just smart kids who wanted to get out of a bad situation at these county schools. Bart and his staff aren't recruiting neither is anyone else in the school. I would also say that not only Pikevilles freshmen were held back, but about every team in the 15th has hold back kids.
bigpun Wrote:These are just smart kids who wanted to get out of a bad situation at these county schools.

What exactly does that mean? Are you calling South Floyd, Shelby Valley, and Betsy Layne bad situations???
bigpun Wrote:I don't know who everyone else thinks it is but I know that the pressure is coming from the basketball coaches. 2 region championships in 33 years compared to 20+ in football. All that winning from one sport is bound to get the other sports coaches jealous and willing to do whatever they have to, to try and pull off a region championship. Most of the kids you named fill out the roster but don't see much if any playing time. Take for instance Matt Clevinger, he could pretty good at three different sports as opposed to being mediocre in one. He is a good kid who could be a whole lot more if he gave himself the opportunity to expand his horizons.
That surprises me about the Pikeville Basketball coaches if that is actually happening. As a matter of fact I believe Bart helps out with the football team on Friday nights if I am not mistaken. I do know I have seen him at about every football game that I go to. Also, I don't even think Clevenger likes football let alone wants to play. Last years Pikeville basketball line-up included 3 starters that were football players so I don't blame him for not wanting them all to play both. He has a big job to do as well. Last, how many region titles do you think the football team would have in the past 33 years if they didn't have a class systeml? Probably more than 2 but I would say that the Angry Red team would have a bunch of them, along with Johnson Central, Sheldon Clark, Prestonsburg, Elkhorn City, and Paintsville.

ps...Clevenger was mediocre as a "sophmore"...he will be very good...just wait and see!!
Players that play more than basketball does more than just fill out the roster. They are key players on the basketball team, as well as the football team and baseball teams. So that is a point that cant be backed up. The other points that are made on here is that Pikeville recruits. If my memory is correct, the Pike Co. BOE made it to where no more than 340 Pike County kids cant attend Pikeville High School. I also know that each year, there are more kids to try to come here than are allowed by the County. I really dont think Pikeville has 340 athletes. So maybe they really are transferring for other reasons besides sports. As far as the situation being bad at South Floyd, Shelby Valley, and Betsy Layne, the situation at the school might not be bad, but there are other reasons that might not need to be discussed in a public forum. Saying that is the same thing as saying there are problems with Phelps, Pikeville, Shelby Valley, and every other school in the state. I bet there isnt any school district has every kid that is supposed to be in their district going to school where they are supposed to.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Players that play more than basketball does more than just fill out the roster. They are key players on the basketball team, as well as the football team and baseball teams. So that is a point that cant be backed up. The other points that are made on here is that Pikeville recruits. If my memory is correct, the Pike Co. BOE made it to where no more than 340 Pike County kids cant attend Pikeville High School. I also know that each year, there are more kids to try to come here than are allowed by the County. I really dont think Pikeville has 340 athletes. So maybe they really are transferring for other reasons besides sports. As far as the situation being bad at South Floyd, Shelby Valley, and Betsy Layne, the situation at the school might not be bad, but there are other reasons that might not need to be discussed in a public forum. Saying that is the same thing as saying there are problems with Phelps, Pikeville, Shelby Valley, and every other school in the state. I bet there isnt any school district has every kid that is supposed to be in their district going to school where they are supposed to.

I agree with you 100%, I do no understand why people must say Pikeville, Belfry or whoever that has kids out of district recruits.....
I thought that he went to play golf?????
bball fan Wrote:Could you name me any D1 football players from Pikeville since 1988??? Harmon is at Pikeville to play 1)baseball, 2) basketball and he plays football just for fun!!
The only thing that I disagree with is the rumor that some are going to Pikeville. Trust me these kids ar BOBCATS. BTW, they play football also!
NEXT Wrote:Betsy Layne will have the best incoming freshman class but from what I am hearing some are going to Pikeville.

I saw every feeder in the 15th play and IMHO this is how they rank

1- Betsy Layne
2- Sheldon Clark(Inez/Warfield)
3- Johnson Central/Belfry/Pikeville

After that there are some nice players here and there but not much.........
I follow a lot of sports and this thread is incoming freshmen.
In Floyd County
Betsy Layne has a lot of talent coming up with at least three who could make the varsity and help toward the end of the season.
Pburg, I like the jamerson kids athletic ability not a great player but plays hard.
AC, i think they only had 1 8th grader on last seasons team.
SF, the Turner kid has a better outside shot then any of the incoming freshmen in floyd county,

I agree Pikeville recruits i know they did the one from this county.