Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top player ever from your School??
orisonspi Wrote:1. NO QUESTION DOUG HOWARD
2. James Ramey
3. Mikey Scott
4. David Jones
5. Micah Caudill

There have been ALOT of inaccuracies in this thread.

First of all in the 2004 state championship game.. neither back "carried" Belfry they both ran for over 200 yards!

Micah was a great open field tackler but at no point in his career (and I saw every varsity game) would I consider him to be a hard hitter. David Jones, as evidence by the hit he laid against Gross in the 2004 semi-final, was a hard hitter!

Doug Howard- 2 State Titles, 2 State Finals, 2 Regional Titles
David Jones- 2 State Titles, 2 State Finals, 2 Regional Titles
Micah Caudill- 0 State Titles, 0 State Finals, 0 Regional Titles

The above stat line alone speaks volumes.... let us not forget that Doug broke gained more yards than Micah despite splitting carries with a great back like Dave!

Another inaccuracy that must be noted is Dave's blocking... someone commented that he really lacked in blocking and that was true when he was a Junior, but during hs Senior season he was an EXCELLENT blocker (not the same level as Doug) but excellent nonetheless. This is evident if you watch UK play.. he is easily the best downfield blocker of all the UK receivers!

Next inaccuracy... everyone who thinks Dave and Micah were close in speed. Dave is the fastest player to ever come from Belfry bar none. He won the state championship in track! He was timed sub 4.4 in the 40! He is arguably the second fastest UK player right now behind Alphonso Smith... Micah was a legit 4.5 guy... but he isn't anywhere close to being as fast as Jones. Lateral quickness? Yes..maybe even quicker... speed... NO WAY

How are you going to compare what the teams accomplished when Doug & David played in 2A... and Micah in 3A... The teams Belfry played then were stiffer competition than the 2A teams in 03 & 04..

Micah didn't get full 4 years to play like Howard either... Doug had quite alot of playing time when he was a freshman..
Also, if you watched all of them play, you would have known when Micah played we passed the ball ALOT, something that never happened in 03 & 04..

And in 2004 against O'Cath.. both backs weren't even, and they didn't both rush for over 200 yard... Doug rushed for 278 yards & 3TD's.. David rushed for 157 & 1 TD... It was easily seen that Doug overshadowed David that day.. Also, both years Doug outrushed David.. 2004 Doug rushed for over 2,000 yards, David rushed for 1,700 an some.. both had 29 TD's for the year..

You never heard me say Micah was faster than David.. David is bar none the quickest player to ever put on a Belfry uniform..
mrfootball03 Wrote:How are you going to compare what the teams accomplished when Doug & David played in 2A... and Micah in 3A... The teams Belfry played then were stiffer competition than the 2A teams in 03 & 04..

Even when adjusting the level of competition it still doesn't explain the fact that Belfry had ZERO regional titles during that time frame... Jones and Howard WERE PROVEN quantities in big game situations.. they got the results.

Caudill's senior year Belfry played a Murderer's Row schedule opening with Male in the Pike County Bowl, then playing a reigning State Champion Breathitt @ Breathitt, an early season trip to Johnson Central, Ironton, and in the regional finals the Pirate's travelled to Bell. Those were 5 BIG games... in those games Belfry went 1-4... against Male, Breathitt, and Bell the offense was throughly shut down. The reason Belfry went to the air so much those games (and they didn't start passing ALOT until 1999 when Haywood started going to the shotgun with Wright) was because the ground game had been controlled and/or the Pirates were losing.

In Jones/Howard's time, even in losses, the running game was never truly shutdown.

I am not disputing Micah as an amazing back... to even make a top 5 list speaks volumes.... but the fact remains that with Jones and Howard,, Belfry won the big games.. 2A or not
orisonspi Wrote:Even when adjusting the level of competition it still doesn't explain the fact that Belfry had ZERO regional titles during that time frame... Jones and Howard WERE PROVEN quantities in big game situations.. they got the results.

Caudill's senior year Belfry played a Murderer's Row schedule opening with Male in the Pike County Bowl, then playing a reigning State Champion Breathitt @ Breathitt, an early season trip to Johnson Central, Ironton, and in the regional finals the Pirate's travelled to Bell. Those were 5 BIG games... in those games Belfry went 1-4... against Male, Breathitt, and Bell the offense was throughly shut down. The reason Belfry went to the air so much those games (and they didn't start passing ALOT until 1999 when Haywood started going to the shotgun with Wright) was because the ground game had been controlled and/or the Pirates were losing.

In Jones/Howard's time, even in losses, the running game was never truly shutdown.

I am not disputing Micah as an amazing back... to even make a top 5 list speaks volumes.... but the fact remains that with Jones and Howard,, Belfry won the big games.. 2A or not
It was 98 not 99 that they went shotgun with Wright.
orisonspi Wrote:Even when adjusting the level of competition it still doesn't explain the fact that Belfry had ZERO regional titles during that time frame... Jones and Howard WERE PROVEN quantities in big game situations.. they got the results.

Now do you honestly think Belfry could have played with Louisville Male, Bell at Bell, beat Ironton?, or beat a Defending state 3A championship team at thier home field such as Boyle or Highlands in 2003 & 2004?... I don't think so..

Look at that schedule.. Belfry hasn't played a schedule like that since then..
In 03 the running game was shut down.. Belfry didn't even score against Boyd Co.

Do you really think the 03 & 04 teams could play in what is called 3A those years and actually win a championship?... sorry i don't.. and i'm from Belfry too
Let's put it this way...Micah wouldn't have started in the Belfry backfield in '03 or '04.
mrfootball03 Wrote:Now do you honestly think Belfry could have played with Louisville Male, Bell at Bell, beat Ironton?, or beat a Defending state 3A championship team at thier home field such as Boyle or Highlands in 2003 & 2004?... I don't think so..

In 03 the running game was shut down.. Belfry didn't even score against Boyd Co.

Do you really think the 03 & 04 teams could play in what is called 3A those years and actually win a championship?... sorry i don't.. and i'm from Belfry too

In '04 Belfry was arguably the 2nd or 3rd best team in Louisville. In fact, there probably wasn't two players in that Louisville who had the type of games Doug & David had (DH - 32 carries for 278 yards & 3TDs; DJ - 27 carries 176 yards & 1 TD).

You can compare them to '97 Male, Bell, or Ironton, but the fact is that they beat just about everyone they lined up against, and 99.9% of the time one or the other was the best player on the field.
Mr. Right Wrote:In '04 Belfry was arguably the 2nd or 3rd best team in Louisville. In fact, there probably wasn't two players in that Louisville who had the type of games Doug & David had (DH - 32 carries for 278 yards & 3TDs; DJ - 27 carries 176 yards & 1 TD).

You can compare them to '97 Male, Bell, or Ironton, but the fact is that they beat just about everyone they lined up against, and 99.9% of the time one or the other was the best player on the field.

You've got to be kidding.. Belfry wasn't better than St. X, Scott Co., Ft. Thomas Highlands, Boyle Co., and a game between Beechwood & Danville would be a toss up, but even then, I wouldn't call Belfry a favorite..

Don't get me wrong, I love Belfry Football just as much as the next guy, but some of you guys really hype the 03 & 04 teams outta this world.. They were a great team, but 2A isn't what you would call the strongest competition..

The 97' Male, Bell, & Ironton team would do the same to the 03 & 04 teams as they did to the '97 Belfry team.. beat them

Belfry never beat Ironton in 03 or 04.. and Ironton is in Ohio's version of 2A (enrollment wise).. If Ironton was in KY, they would win 2A every year... Thats just because Kentucky 2A isn't that strong.. sorry but its true..
mrfootball03 Wrote:Now do you honestly think Belfry could have played with Louisville Male, Bell at Bell, beat Ironton?, or beat a Defending state 3A championship team at thier home field such as Boyle or Highlands in 2003 & 2004?... I don't think so..

The fact that Breathitt won that year by ALOT sort of throws the superiority theory out of whack.. Breathitt was 2A then beating a 3A Belfry by alot.. Breathitt is 2A now still. That particular Breathitt team in my opinion was not as good as the 2002 Bobcats who belfry played pretty close. You give me the 2004 Pirates against the Breathitt team who crushed Caudill and company and Breathitt still wins,, but it is a more respectable game.

The Male team was not one of the legendary squads... they were a very young team as that was Gary Ahrens first start.. IMO the 2004 Belfry team would have won that game.

Ironton- NOPE

Bell County- I think that the State Championship teams could have played with them just as well if not better.

The fact remains that over the past few years Belfry can play with any Mountain 3A team year in year out...now you can debate however you wish if you feel that your Rockcastles and Bell's of the world are of the same quality that they used to be.. but given this fact you can't disparage that if Belfry has been on par with 3A teams as of recently why couldn't it transcend to those seasons?

Do you feel that the Bell County team that beat Belfry by 3 TD that season is also 3 TD better than 2004 Russell, 2003 Etown, and 2004 O'Cath? I don't.
orisonspi Wrote:The fact that Breathitt won that year by ALOT sort of throws the superiority theory out of whack.. Breathitt was 2A then beating a 3A Belfry by alot.. Breathitt is 2A now still. That particular Breathitt team in my opinion was not as good as the 2002 Bobcats who belfry played pretty close. You give me the 2004 Pirates against the Breathitt team who crushed Caudill and company and Breathitt still wins,, but it is a more respectable game.

The Male team was not one of the legendary squads... they were a very young team as that was Gary Ahrens first start.. IMO the 2004 Belfry team would have won that game.

Ironton- NOPE

Bell County- I think that the State Championship teams could have played with them just as well if not better.

The fact remains that over the past few years Belfry can play with any Mountain 3A team year in year out...now you can debate however you wish if you feel that your Rockcastles and Bell's of the world are of the same quality that they used to be.. but given this fact you can't disparage that if Belfry has been on par with 3A teams as of recently why couldn't it transcend to those seasons?

Do you feel that the Bell County team that beat Belfry by 3 TD that season is also 3 TD better than 2004 Russell, 2003 Etown, and 2004 O'Cath? I don't.

That particular Bell Co. team, @ Bell in the playoffs, yes I do..
None of those teams would have went to Bell in the playoffs and won. Teams match up different, so I can't really say they would get beat by 3 TD's, but they wouldn't haven't won.. The 97' Bell team was pretty tough team, better than the 98' team that Belfry beat.. Bell isn't the program they used to be..

Belfry hasn't been on par with a quality 3A team..
Belfry hasn't beaten a quality 3A team, how can you say that play year in year out?... Lawrence Co. is way sub par the past few seasons, they haven't beaten Ashland, I don't think they would beat JC, and the rest is only speculation.. 3A as we know it this year, and years past is alot tougher than 2A..

The 03' & '04 Belfry team could have been a decent 3A team, but they wouldn't have won a 3A title..
And about the 97' Male team..
Belfry wouldn't beat them any year...
I don't know where you get they weren't that great?
They were 10-2 in 4A, and lost in the Regional final to ST. X who, you guessed it, won the 4A State Title... Sorry, even 03 & 04 Belfry wouldn't be able to handle that...
Over the last twenty years I have seen a lot of players come and go at Belfry. Everybody that has been mentioned above have been good ball players for the Pirates. The player I think that carried his team more while he played than anybody else I have seen is D. Francisco. He is by far the best wishbone QB I have seen over the years. Most talented-NO Most valuable-YES.
mrfootball03 Wrote:That particular Bell Co. team, @ Bell in the playoffs, yes I do..
None of those teams would have went to Bell in the playoffs and won. Teams match up different, so I can't really say they would get beat by 3 TD's, but they wouldn't haven't won.. The 97' Bell team was pretty tough team, better than the 98' team that Belfry beat.. Bell isn't the program they used to be..

Belfry hasn't been on par with a quality 3A team..
Belfry hasn't beaten a quality 3A team, how can you say that play year in year out?... Lawrence Co. is way sub par the past few seasons, they haven't beaten Ashland, I don't think they would beat JC, and the rest is only speculation.. 3A as we know it this year, and years past is alot tougher than 2A..

The 03' & '04 Belfry team could have been a decent 3A team, but they wouldn't have won a 3A title..

I played on the '95 Belfry team that beat a Bell Co. team that wa better than Bell's '97 & '98 teams and we weren't as good as either the '03 or '04 Belfry teams.

And believe me, that was a tough pill to swallow for me, too. But I refuse to use the "well, when I played we were in 3A" crutch that a lot of us old fogeys have gotten used to saying. I call a spade a spade, and the '03/'04 teams were better than any of the '90s 3A teams regardless of what class they played in.
Well, none of the Belfry teams in the last 4 years could have beat the 2001 Prestonsburg Blackcats that went to the State Championship.
Redneck Wrote:Well, none of the Belfry teams in the last 4 years could have beat the 2001 Prestonsburg Blackcats that went to the State Championship.

haha.. ok.. :Clap:

well they don't have any hardware to show for it..
I enjoy watching Pinson run the ball in 1989! He was fun to watch and we gave Highlands all they wanted in the semi final game!
Welcome to the best site in town! If you need anything, just let me know.
mrfootball03 Wrote:haha.. ok.. :Clap:

well they don't have any hardware to show for it..

They may not have any hardware, but Belfry or the teams they played in the semi's or the championship in 03' and 04' could have beat the Bardstown or Prestonsburg in 2001. I'll even go as far as saying that none of them would have even beat Mason County, who Pburg beat in the state semi's. Not taking anything away from Belfry in 03' or 04', but if you are a Belfry fan then you know how good Pburg was in 01', you seen what they did to your Pirates, TWICE...
34-14 isn't what i would call destroying?
Against a Belfry team that went 8-5?.. wow
mrfootball03 Wrote:34-14 isn't what i would call very bad?

I don't remember saying they killed you guys or beat you BAD.
mrfootball03 Wrote:34-14 isn't what i would call destroying?
Against a Belfry team that went 8-5?.. wow

Who else did Belfry lose to in 01', Pburg twice and Ironton, who else.
I would like to warn everyone that this thread is about "Top player ever from your School" and not who could beat who. If you want to compare teams you need to start another thread before this one is closed down!
Welcome to the best site in town! If you need anything, just let me know.
BelfryJustice Wrote:I would like to warn everyone that this thread is about "Top player ever from your School" and not who could beat who. If you want to compare teams you need to start another thread before this one is closed down!

Sorry dude...:Thumbs:
Redneck Wrote:Who else did Belfry lose to in 01', Pburg twice and Ironton, who else.

Ironton, Ashland, Lawrence Co, Pburg twice...

But anyways.. Howard is the best player 90's and up
Paintsville:

Mike Minix and Tony Mayes

There have many other great players, but I would say these two are the best.
Redneck Wrote:Paintsville:

Mike Minix and Tony Mayes

There have many other great players, but I would say these two are the best.
Joey Couch.
Pikeville.
Line
Tim Honaker,Bob Shurtleff, Jim Childers, Jeff Roop
Backs
Hackney, Deramus, Steve Bailey, Brent Coleman, Chuck Huffman
Receivers
Jeremiah Akers,Murray Garvin,
QBs
Matt and JP Blair, Matt Branham, Ben Howard, Doug Powers
Defense
Chris Mcnamee, Sean Neely, Mickey Webster, Tommy Dale Sparks, Danny Canada
Special Teams
Matt Mcoy, Diego Ramos, Goffrey England
dfblackcat53 Wrote:seth hyden, 93
nick jamerson, 03
matt slone , 01
jeremy caudill, 00'

An interesting stat on Jamerson to make a claim for him as best player at Pburg, is the fact that he averaged more then 20 yards a touch over his high school career.
PantherPride68 Wrote:Pikeville.
Line
Tim Honaker,Bob Shurtleff, Jim Childers, Jeff Roop
Backs
Hackney, Deramus, Steve Bailey, Brent Coleman, Chuck Huffman
Receivers
Jeremiah Akers,Murray Garvin,
QBs
Matt and JP Blair, Matt Branham, Ben Howard, Doug Powers
Defense
Chris Mcnamee, Sean Neely, Mickey Webster, Tommy Dale Sparks, Danny Canada
Special Teams
Matt Mcoy, Diego Ramos, Goffrey England

Diego was one of my aunts exchange students, I loved that kid.
You young guys never had the opportunity to see Rick Kestner, Mike Minnix play. The best at Belfry was D.Jones and Kestner by far.
Redneck Wrote:Diego was one of my aunts exchange students, I loved that kid.
I graduated with him he was a cool guy.
Mr. Right Wrote:In '04 Belfry was arguably the 2nd or 3rd best team in Louisville. In fact, there probably wasn't two players in that Louisville who had the type of games Doug & David had (DH - 32 carries for 278 yards & 3TDs; DJ - 27 carries 176 yards & 1 TD).

i watched all 4 games....i think belfry was the best team that year.
  •  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next