•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top player ever from your School??
Showtime_05 Wrote:and also don't forget about Maynard..

Maynard was a really good back.. Its just a shame he was overshadowed for a while by better backs such as David & Doug... If I were to rate these backs heres how I would rate them..

#1 (Tie) Doug Howard & Micah Caudill
#2 David Jones
#3 Matt Maynard
#4 Corey Chapman
#5 Jonah Caudill
#6 Curtis Childress

This is from 1997 up.. Not pre-1997
mrfootball03 Wrote:Maynard was a really good back.. Its just a shame he was overshadowed for a while by better backs such as David & Doug... If I were to rate these backs heres how I would rate them..

#1 (Tie) Doug Howard & Micah Caudill
#2 David Jones
#3 Matt Maynard
#4 Corey Chapman
#5 Jonah Caudill
#6 Curtis Childress

This is from 1997 up.. Not pre-1997

List sounds about right to me..but who do you think the best over all player was, as in defense,special teams,etc..
mrfootball03 Wrote:Oh, how wrong you are.. Micah would flat out knock your ass out... He hit hard..
I never said he was the strongest.. you simply arn't reading.. He hit the hardest.. And theres still no doubt about that..

And about Jonah, I really genuinly like Jonah, but he wasn't nowhere near the player his brother was, as so, David & Doug.. I think hes comparible to Corey, but Corey can hold onto the ball a little better..

I agree...Jonah was known to fumble ALOT lol
Showtime_05 Wrote:List sounds about right to me..but who do you think the best over all player was, as in defense,special teams,etc..

Overall, I think Doug may be the best overall.. He made alot of key plays on defense by pure instinct that carried Belfry.. Case in point: The 03' State Championship game against E'Town.. E'Town was a touchdown ahead with the ball, chewing the clock up.. and the play called on defense didn't call for Doug to blitz, but just by instinct he blitzed the QB, and knocked the ball loose for Belfry to recover.. in which they drove it in for the score to put the game in OT.. Thats just one of the many times Doug has made defensive plays out of pure instinct... Not taking anything away from the others, but he seemed to excel at every side of the ball..
mrfootball03 Wrote:Oh, how wrong you are.. Micah would flat out knock your ass out... He hit hard..
I never said he was the strongest.. you simply arn't reading.. He hit the hardest.. And theres still no doubt about that..

And about Jonah, I really genuinly like Jonah, but he wasn't nowhere near the player his brother was, as so, David & Doug.. I think hes comparible to Corey, but Corey can hold onto the ball a little better..

Just because he ran over you doesn't mean he could hit hard.

I'm done debating. Micah was a great back, but you guys are making him out to be something he wasn't. He was good at breaking tackles, exceptional at it when you consider his size, but that was it. Not a power runner in the least. And to say he hit harder than the two you've mentioned is crazy.

Both of them outweighed Micah by at least 40 pounds and both were faster. There is probably a scientific formula that could prove those two things make Doug & Dave harder hitters, but since I'm not that smart I could just show you tons of film on all three guys to prove it.

Later Alligator.
By the way...watch the cursing.

Their are tons of kids on this site.
BoondockSaint Wrote:Just because he ran over you doesn't mean he could hit hard.

I'm done debating. Micah was a great back, but you guys are making him out to be something he wasn't. He was good at breaking tackles, exceptional at it when you consider his size, but that was it. Not a power runner in the least. And to say he hit harder than the two you've mentioned is crazy.

Both of them outweighed Micah by at least 40 pounds and both were faster. There is probably a scientific formula that could prove those two things make Doug & Dave harder hitters, but since I'm not that smart I could just show you tons of film on all three guys to prove it.

Later Alligator.

Its obvious you haven't played with any of the players stated above..
leave the moderating to the moderators.. :Thumbs:
BoondockSaint Wrote:Just because he ran over you doesn't mean he could hit hard.

Later Alligator.

Actually it does mean you can hit hard by running ppl over..and Jones barely
weighed 170 in high school wasn't near as strong..and i've already seen film
I am so glad your done talkin because your an idiot..:thumpsup:
Why don't you ask Phillip Haywood which has been the best back to come out of Belfry in the past decade..

I have on several occasions.. and hes quick to bring up Micah Caudill
BoondockSaint Wrote:By the way...watch the cursing.

Their are tons of kids on this site.

Thank you :thumpsup: moderaters cant always be everywhere.
mrfootball03 Wrote:Why don't you ask Phillip Haywood which has been the best back to come out of Belfry in the past decade..

I have on several occasions.. and hes quick to bring up Micah Caudill

Micah was a great back, but not near as good as Howard or Jones.
mrfootball03 Wrote:I've watched every single game each player has played except maybe one or two..

Just because Jones was the difference in that game, doesn't mean he is overall better.. There have been plenty times Jones was shut down, and it depended on Howard to carry the team.. Case in point - 2004 Championship game.. Doug rushed for like over 200 & some yards and like 3TD's against O'Cath...

I watched them all. Your right about this post, thats why Doug and David were so hard to shut down as a duo! When a team key'd in on one, the other would pull through and nobody could shut both of them down at the same time.

But overall Doug Howard. Mikah was great as was David and Matt...all in their own ways they were excellent ball players. But Doug ALWAYS gave 110% along with his awesome natural talent. Not to take away from David but you just never knew...
mrfootball03 Wrote:Its obvious you haven't played with any of the players stated above..

If you only knew Confusedhh:
LovetheBucs Wrote:Best high school player I have seen at Belfry High School:

Doug Howard

I agree :thumpsup:
Quote:
Originally Posted by orisonspi
I'll go as far as to say Doug Howard is the second best HS football player I have ever seen come out of EKY aside from Tim Couch...

Quote:
Orginally Posted by BoondockSaint
I'll second that...My top three are Couch, Howard, and Justin Haddix of Breathitt Co.

I agree with that too, I spoke too soon.:Thumbs:
Why are all of the best players RBs or QBs?

I played against the 86 Belfry team and there was a FB/DT that I thought was one of the best players I ever lined up against. Strong as a bull and never quit.

If I lie and say I didn't think Jones was the best would you Belfry guys stop fighting with each other.
FBALL Wrote:Why are all of the best players RBs or QBs?

I played against the 86 Belfry team and there was a FB/DT that I thought was one of the best players I ever lined up against. Strong as a bull and never quit.

If I lie and say I didn't think Jones was the best would you Belfry guys stop fighting with each other.

Everybody has their personal favorite, for one reason or another.

No harm done in the quarrel, in my opinion.
I will throw in my two cents for you Belfry guys. David Jones is by far the most talented running back you all have had. He brought you two state championships. It kind of reminds me of the situation at Pikeville with Steve Bailey. If he wouldn't have came we would not have won our third state championship plain and simple. Same thing for you guys if you did not have another back, especially in the wishbone, it is hard to run the ball effectively against good teams. However, one guy is playing for the University of Kentucky, and the other is not playing football. Who was better, the guy that is playing D-1!! That is the only way I know how to settle this argument. Now if Doug didn't have the grades and all that you could still argue. But they both were eligible to play D-1 if given the chance and both were relatively the same size, one went to UK and the other to PC. However, Doug was still one of the best High School running backs I have ever seen. I think my point is this. It is hard for your town to say that someone who came in for only 2 years is the best running back. It is hard for people to say that Steve was, but he was. You like the guys who have worn the red and white their whole lives. By the way...Micah was unbelievable also for his size. Pound for pound one of the toughest kids I have played against.
HazzBeen Wrote:I will throw in my two cents for you Belfry guys. David Jones is by far the most talented running back you all have had. He brought you two state championships. It kind of reminds me of the situation at Pikeville with Steve Bailey. If he wouldn't have came we would not have won our third state championship plain and simple. Same thing for you guys if you did not have another back, especially in the wishbone, it is hard to run the ball effectively against good teams. However, one guy is playing for the University of Kentucky, and the other is not playing football. Who was better, the guy that is playing D-1!! That is the only way I know how to settle this argument. Now if Doug didn't have the grades and all that you could still argue. But they both were eligible to play D-1 if given the chance and both were relatively the same size, one went to UK and the other to PC. However, Doug was still one of the best High School running backs I have ever seen. I think my point is this. It is hard for your town to say that someone who came in for only 2 years is the best running back. It is hard for people to say that Steve was, but he was. You like the guys who have worn the red and white their whole lives. By the way...Micah was unbelievable also for his size. Pound for pound one of the toughest kids I have played against.

If you take away either player, they probably don't win either championship, so how does that show that one is better than the other?

They were both integral parts of both championship teams.
Mr. Right Wrote:If you take away either player, they probably don't win either championship, so how does that show that one is better than the other?

They were both integral parts of both championship teams.

I agree..I said that you needed both to win the state championship. But if David had not had come you wouldn't have had both to win a state championship. I wasn't trying to prove that David was better in that sense.
Everyone has their own opinion and thats what life is about. So in my opinion Doug Howard was the best RB to come out of Belfry. I watched nearly everygame played since his freshman year. David Jones was a great back, no doubt, but Doug was the type of back that I preferred to watch. that IMO is why everyone is picking one over the other, Doug was a power runner and Dave was a speed back. Too each his own. But personally the best back I watched in Highschool was Russell's Josh Gross. He had better field vision than any back I have seen. Just my 2 cents.
Crossbones Wrote:Everyone has their own opinion and thats what life is about. So in my opinion Doug Howard was the best RB to come out of Belfry. I watched nearly everygame played since his freshman year. David Jones was a great back, no doubt, but Doug was the type of back that I preferred to watch. that IMO is why everyone is picking one over the other, Doug was a power runner and Dave was a speed back. Too each his own. But personally the best back I watched in Highschool was Russell's Josh Gross. He had better field vision than any back I have seen. Just my 2 cents.

Gross had the best combination of speed, balance, vision, and excelleration that I have seen. He had a natural instinct for setting up his blockers and finding the hole. His size (5'9" 185) hurt as far as being recruited by the bigger schools. He is a Georgetown and doing very well by the way.

He was not quite as fast as Jones but he wasn't to far behind.
FBALL Wrote:Gross had the best combination of speed, balance, vision, and excelleration that I have seen. He had a natural instinct for setting up his blockers and finding the hole. His size (5'9" 185) hurt as far as being recruited by the bigger schools. He is a Georgetown and doing very well by the way.

I use to be on the other site as "SydSam2000" and you and I disagreed on this subject. I said Howard was the best, but after watching the game several times, I am in agreement with you now. Gross was amazing to watch, the way he followed his blocker and his field vision was impressive to say the least. Glad to hear he is doing well. His size was the deciding factor in not going to a larger school IMO.
1. NO QUESTION DOUG HOWARD
2. James Ramey
3. Mikey Scott
4. David Jones
5. Micah Caudill

There have been ALOT of inaccuracies in this thread.

First of all in the 2004 state championship game.. neither back "carried" Belfry they both ran for over 200 yards!

Micah was a great open field tackler but at no point in his career (and I saw every varsity game) would I consider him to be a hard hitter. David Jones, as evidence by the hit he laid against Gross in the 2004 semi-final, was a hard hitter!

Doug Howard- 2 State Titles, 2 State Finals, 2 Regional Titles
David Jones- 2 State Titles, 2 State Finals, 2 Regional Titles
Micah Caudill- 0 State Titles, 0 State Finals, 0 Regional Titles

The above stat line alone speaks volumes.... let us not forget that Doug broke gained more yards than Micah despite splitting carries with a great back like Dave!

Another inaccuracy that must be noted is Dave's blocking... someone commented that he really lacked in blocking and that was true when he was a Junior, but during hs Senior season he was an EXCELLENT blocker (not the same level as Doug) but excellent nonetheless. This is evident if you watch UK play.. he is easily the best downfield blocker of all the UK receivers!

Next inaccuracy... everyone who thinks Dave and Micah were close in speed. Dave is the fastest player to ever come from Belfry bar none. He won the state championship in track! He was timed sub 4.4 in the 40! He is arguably the second fastest UK player right now behind Alphonso Smith... Micah was a legit 4.5 guy... but he isn't anywhere close to being as fast as Jones. Lateral quickness? Yes..maybe even quicker... speed... NO WAY
FBALL Wrote:Gross had the best combination of speed, balance, vision, and excelleration that I have seen. He had a natural instinct for setting up his blockers and finding the hole. His size (5'9" 185) hurt as far as being recruited by the bigger schools. He is a Georgetown and doing very well by the way.

I loved the way that Josh Gross played the game.... smart, ran hard, and you NEVER saw him lose his cool.

That Russell/Belfry game may have been the most running back talent to ever play on the same field in Kentucky history!

You had Gross/Clark for Russell, Jones/Howard for Belfry, and lined up at Split End for Belfry was Matt Maynard!
Crossbones Wrote:I use to be on the other site as "SydSam2000" and you and I disagreed on this subject. I said Howard was the best, but after watching the game several times, I am in agreement with you now. Gross was amazing to watch, the way he followed his blocker and his field vision was impressive to say the least. Glad to hear he is doing well. His size was the deciding factor in not going to a larger school IMO.

Hows it going. Yeah we debated that subject alot. Good to hear from you. Maybe I will get to meet you at this one. I try to not be so much a homer as just honest.
orisonspi Wrote:1. NO QUESTION DOUG HOWARD
2. James Ramey
3. Mikey Scott
4. David Jones
5. Micah Caudill

First of all in the 2004 state championship game.. neither back "carried" Belfry they both ran for over 200 yards!

Micah was a great open field tackler but at no point in his career (and I saw every varsity game) would I consider him to be a hard hitter. David Jones, as evidence by the hit he laid against Gross in the 2004 semi-final, was a hard hitter!

The above stat line alone speaks volumes.... let us not forget that Doug broke gained more yards than Micah despite splitting carries with a great back like Dave!

Another inaccuracy that must be noted is Dave's blocking... someone commented that he really lacked in blocking and that was true when he was a Junior, but during hs Senior season he was an EXCELLENT blocker (not the same level as Doug) but excellent nonetheless. This is evident if you watch UK play.. he is easily the best downfield blocker of all the UK receivers!

Next inaccuracy... everyone who thinks Dave and Micah were close in speed. Dave is the fastest player to ever come from Belfry bar none. He won the state championship in track! He was timed sub 4.4 in the 40! He is arguably the second fastest UK player right now behind Alphonso Smith... Micah was a legit 4.5 guy... but he isn't anywhere close to being as fast as Jones. Lateral quickness? Yes..maybe even quicker... speed... NO WAY

When did Mikey Scott play. I remember the name but am unsure of the time frame.
orisonspi Wrote:I loved the way that Josh Gross played the game.... smart, ran hard, and you NEVER saw him lose his cool.

That Russell/Belfry game may have been the most running back talent to ever play on the same field in Kentucky history!

You had Gross/Clark for Russell, Jones/Howard for Belfry, and lined up at Split End for Belfry was Matt Maynard!
That was one talented set of backfields in that game. Clark was only a sophmore then and is much stronger now. but he did make most teams pay for keying to much on Gross.

Also that game made me a believer in Matt Maynard. He didn't get to be the man that year due to Jones and Howard. But you could see the talent and speed. He made a TD saving tackle on Gross on the last play of the first half. I think that is the only time I ever saw Gross tackled in the open field by one player. I knew right then that he was going to be bigtime his senior year.
orisonspi Wrote:1. NO QUESTION DOUG HOWARD
2. James Ramey
3. Mikey Scott
4. David Jones
5. Micah Caudill

Nice post...I agree that Micah probably had more lateral quickness than all 3, but I know Jones was faster & I would bet that Howard was faster, too.

Micah & Ron Blume remind me of each other. Both had great speed, but they looked deceptively faster than they actually were. I think both were 4.6 40 guys and ran 11.5-11.7 in the 100m dash.
  •  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next