Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
16th Region Discussion
* Ashland's dominance in the regional championship is unquestioned. What will it take to dethrone the Tomcats?

* Boyd County has a fierce rivalry with Ashland. Can the Lions finally topple their nemesis when the title is on the line?

* Last year, Fleming, Rowan, and Morgan emerged as strong contenders. Can they maintain their momentum and challenge Ashland and Boyd County for the championship?

* Russell's young Devils have a reputation for being fierce competitors. Are they ready to make a statement and upset the top teams?

* The Carter County 'Civil War' between West and East is always intense. Is West poised to reclaim its dominance over East?
I think this season will be exactly like the last two or three seasons. Ashland will be your 16th champ, Boyd will beat them once or maybe twice, but not when it matters. The rest of the region will be just chasing those two.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fanman's post:
  • Bandit29
(09-05-2024, 11:27 AM)Fanman Wrote: I think this season will be exactly like the last two or three seasons. Ashland will be your 16th champ, Boyd will beat them once or maybe twice, but not when it matters. The rest of the region will be just chasing those two.
Agree.  Ashland has too many weapons including the Regional MVP.  The Smith kid left Boyd and is with the Tomcats now as well.  This was a huge blow to the lions.  Ellis was the consistency on the team and they don’t have a replacement for him.  I liked his game. 
I think Russell will be better than most think.  I don’t think they can get Ashland this year but this is the year that they turn the corner.  The 25-26 season it will be Ashland at 1 and Russell at 2.  JMO
I heard Ashland has 3 transfers this season. 98% of the time these moves are parent generated. Parents want the best opportunities for their kids. Coaches get erroneously blamed.
I have heard rumors that there is a possibility the KHSAA may pass a “one transfer” rule in the near future. That would probably be good for parents and also almost eliminate a big problem and headache for the KHSAA.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LOOKAYANNER's post:
  • Appalachian Cat
I agree that Ashland should be the cream of the crop again this year in the 16th Region if they stay healthy. Boyd Co. will push them but I believe in the end, it will be the Tomcats.

With Spurlock back next year ('25-'26) for Boyd Co., I anticipate they will make a push for a regional title next year. On paper Russell should be better this year and probably a contender next year ('25-'26) but the big kids will need to move on after this year if he wants to reach his full potential. If he does, that will hurt their title hopes in '25-'26. His ceiling is very high and in order for him to maximize his potential he will need to be in a program that can challenge him physically. I hate when kids leave the 16th year but I think he will need to do what is best for his growth.

But for this year, I have the Tomcats winning the region.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The_Messenger's post:
  • Appalachian Cat
Will Perry ever be able to recruit; lure in foreigners through the “foreign exchange student program”; and bully enough athletes into not playing other sports to win at Bath Co.?
[quote="Bandit29" pid="2465979" dateline="1725541098"]
* Ashland's dominance in the regional championship is unquestioned. What will it take to dethrone the Tomcats?

* Boyd County has a fierce rivalry with Ashland. Can the Lions finally topple their nemesis when the title is on the line?

* Last year, Fleming, Rowan, and Morgan emerged as strong contenders. Can they maintain their momentum and challenge Ashland and Boyd County for the championship?

* Russell's young Devils have a reputation for being fierce competitors. Are they ready to make a statement and upset the top teams?

* The Carter County 'Civil War' between West and East is always intense. Is West poised to reclaim its dominance over East?

1. Boyd County- 4 returning starters, best team in the Region for the past two years, Won 5 of the last 8 games played per Khsaa website. They also have the best player in the Region in Spurlock. The 6'8' transfer has added size to compliment great guard play.

2. Ashland-3 returning starters. 4 new transfers, 6 straight regional titles, Won 3 of the last 8 games vs Boyd per Khsaa website. Carter is a very good player and a close second as the best player in the Region. Will be the front runner for 16th region player of the year.

3. Russell- Everyone returning and the addition of a couple of transfers. They can beat either Boyd or Ashland if playing well and the other does not. Still young but getting better every year. They will be out to prove themselves this year.

4. Lewis - Returning 3/4 starters and have a very solid big in Noble and PG. Again, if coach slows it down and they are hitting. They can be a sleeper.

5. Fleming- Hickerson and Jolley are very solid players and will give Carter a run for his money for the Region player of the year. Both kids play extremely hard and are competitors. I don't know if they have enough depth.
(09-26-2024, 08:30 PM)The_Messenger Wrote: I agree that Ashland should be the cream of the crop again this year in the 16th Region if they stay healthy. Boyd Co. will push them but I believe in the end, it will be the Tomcats.

With Spurlock back next year ('25-'26) for Boyd Co., I anticipate they will make a push for a regional title next year.  On paper Russell should be better this year and probably a contender next year ('25-'26) but the big kids will need to move on after this year if he wants to reach his full potential.  If he does, that will hurt their title hopes in '25-'26. His ceiling is very high and in order for him to maximize his potential he will need to be in a program that can challenge him physically. I hate when kids leave the 16th year but I think he will need to do what is best for his growth.

I'd almost bet anything that he will be in a different jersey for his senior year
(10-04-2024, 05:57 PM)Fanman Wrote:
(09-26-2024, 08:30 PM)The_Messenger Wrote: I agree that Ashland should be the cream of the crop again this year in the 16th Region if they stay healthy. Boyd Co. will push them but I believe in the end, it will be the Tomcats.

With Spurlock back next year ('25-'26) for Boyd Co., I anticipate they will make a push for a regional title next year.  On paper Russell should be better this year and probably a contender next year ('25-'26) but the big kids will need to move on after this year if he wants to reach his full potential.  If he does, that will hurt their title hopes in '25-'26. His ceiling is very high and in order for him to maximize his potential he will need to be in a program that can challenge him physically. I hate when kids leave the 16th year but I think he will need to do what is best for his growth.

I'd almost bet anything that he will be in a different jersey for his senior year

Russell PG Neel transfers to Ashland
(10-04-2024, 01:34 PM)HOOPFAN Wrote:
(09-05-2024, 09:58 AM)Bandit29 Wrote: * Ashland's dominance in the regional championship is unquestioned. What will it take to dethrone the Tomcats?

1. Boyd County- 4 returning starters, best team in the Region for the past two years, Won 5 of the last 8 games played per Khsaa website. They also have the best player in the Region in Spurlock. The 6'8' transfer has added size to compliment great guard play.

2. Ashland-3 returning starters. 4 new transfers, 6 straight regional titles, Won 3 of the last 8 games vs Boyd per Khsaa website. Carter is a very good player and a close second as the best player in the Region. Will be the front runner for 16th region player of the year.

3. Russell- Everyone returning and the addition of a couple of transfers. They can beat either Boyd or Ashland if playing well and the other does not. Still young but getting better every year. They will be out to prove themselves this year.

4. Lewis - Returning 3/4 starters and have a very solid big in Noble and PG. Again, if coach slows it down and they are hitting. They can be a sleeper.

5. Fleming- Hickerson and Jolley are very solid players and will give Carter a run for his money for the Region player of the year. Both kids play extremely hard and are competitors. I don't know if they have enough depth.
That moment when a Boyd dad creates a new account for his son!?!?! The best team in the region plays at Rupp Arena at the end of each season.  
You can’t see the forest because of all the trees!
(10-05-2024, 01:28 PM)Appalachian Cat Wrote:
(09-05-2024, 09:58 AM)Bandit29 Wrote: * Ashland's dominance in the regional championship is unquestioned. What will it take to dethrone the Tomcats?

That moment when a Boyd dad creates a new account for his son!?!?!  The best team in the region plays at Rupp Arena at the end of each season.  

This made me laugh Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fanman's post:
  • Appalachian Cat
Word is Russell lost Elijah Neal as he has moved and enrolled at Ashland. That will be interesting to see how this plays out.
(10-05-2024, 09:10 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: Word is Russell lost Elijah Neal as he has moved and enrolled at Ashland. That will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Moved? Still lives in Ohio!

That moment when a Boyd dad creates a new account for his son!?!?!  The best team in the region plays at Rupp Arena at the end of each season.  
I think he must also run sports talk 16th region on X as well. That opinion with statistics as well. Head to Head last two seasons BC has won 5 of the last 8 games. That looks like the better team jmo
(10-05-2024, 10:21 PM)HOOPFAN Wrote:
(10-05-2024, 09:10 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: Word is Russell lost Elijah Neal as he has moved and enrolled at Ashland. That will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Told moved to Ashland on Friday and he will officially enroll at Ashland on Tuesday.

Zander Carter is not a “close second” to anyone in the region. He’s the best player in the region by a good stretch.

I think he must also run sports talk 16th region on X as well. That opinion with statistics as well. Head to Head last two seasons BC has won 5 of the last 8 games. That looks like the better team jmo
6X Regional Champs looks like the better team to the rest of the planet!  JMO!  Lol
(10-07-2024, 12:43 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:

Zander Carter is not a “close second” to anyone in the region. He’s the best player in the region by a good stretch.

Numbers and win and losses don’t support your opinion.

(10-07-2024, 01:18 AM)Appalachian Cat Wrote:

6X Regional Champs looks like the better team to the rest of the planet!  JMO!  Lol

3-1 and 2-2 previous two season. That’s not opinion. That’s reality. If the District champion only went into the region tournament then Ashland wouldn’t even have made it the past two seasons.

You better keep asking what the transfer and recruitment rule is. Lol sounds like your school is about to be in trouble. Again.
(10-07-2024, 06:52 AM)HOOPFAN Wrote:

(10-05-2024, 01:28 PM)Appalachian Cat Wrote: That moment when a Boyd dad creates a new account for his son!?!?!  The best team in the region plays at Rupp Arena at the end of each season.  

3-1 and 2-2 previous two season. That’s not opinion. That’s reality. If the District champion only went into the region tournament then Ashland wouldn’t even have made it the past two seasons.

You better keep asking what the transfer and recruitment rule is. Lol sounds like your school is about to be in trouble.  Again.
Seasonal play is nice but the mark of the best team (in most cases) is the team that ends up in the Sweet 16, something Ashland has accomplished 6 straight years. Winning when the ultimate pressure is on the line is a better measuring stick than the regular season. That’s just my humble opinion though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LOOKAYANNER's post:
  • Fanman
(10-07-2024, 07:35 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:

(10-05-2024, 01:28 PM)Appalachian Cat Wrote: That moment when a Boyd dad creates a new account for his son!?!?!  The best team in the region plays at Rupp Arena at the end of each season.  

You better keep asking what the transfer and recruitment rule is. Lol sounds like your school is about to be in trouble.  Again.
Seasonal play is nice but the mark of the best team (in most cases) is the team that ends up in the Sweet 16, something Ashland has accomplished 6 straight years. Winning when the ultimate pressure is on the line is a better measuring stick than the regular season. That’s just my humble opinion though.

I would say the mark of the best team as you would put it would be the team who won the most head to head. 3-1 last season is not mark of the best team. When you just win one. Looks more like you got lucky or something drastically happened like Ashland shooting 16 free throws to BC 0. That is taken off the website at the khsaa. I don’t think that has ever happened in the history of the regional final or anywhere.
(10-07-2024, 08:34 AM)HOOPFAN Wrote:
(10-07-2024, 12:43 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: Zander Carter is not a “close second” to anyone in the region. He’s the best player in the region by a good stretch.

(10-05-2024, 10:21 PM)HOOPFAN Wrote: Moved? Still lives in Ohio!

I would say the mark of the best team as you would put it would be the team who won the most head to head. 3-1 last season is not mark of the best team. When you just win one. Looks more like you got lucky or something drastically happened like Ashland shooting 16 free throws to BC 0. That is taken off the website at the khsaa. I don’t think that has ever happened in the history of the regional final or anywhere.
Learn to play defense and move your feet.  You won’t have to foul so much!  Lol
You have had some good/decent players over the last few years.  The coaching staff needs a fresh look at BC.  Like a completely new staff.  Especially, after last season.  It’s a mess there and no one will acknowledge the true cancer of the program (IYKYK) that holds them back. You can get upset if you want but sometimes uncomfortable conversations need to happen for the healing to begin.  JMO
I agree about the coaching staff thing. Coach A is a great man and a respected coach, but he has made some poor decisions about who he lets sit on his bench.
(10-07-2024, 10:59 AM)Appalachian Cat Wrote:
(10-07-2024, 12:43 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: Zander Carter is not a “close second” to anyone in the region. He’s the best player in the region by a good stretch.

(10-07-2024, 01:18 AM)Appalachian Cat Wrote: 6X Regional Champs looks like the better team to the rest of the planet!  JMO!  Lol

You have had some good/decent players over the last few years.  The coaching staff needs a fresh look at BC.  Like a completely new staff.  Especially, after last season.  It’s a mess there and no one will acknowledge the true cancer of the program (IYKYK) that holds them back. You can get upset if you want but sometimes uncomfortable conversations need to happen for the healing to begin.  JMO

I think you confused. BC won 3 games and Ashland lost 3. Boyd lost 1 and Ashland won 1. It looks like Ashland has been out coached in my opinion. That is a plain as the nose on your face. The program who just came off a two year probation for recruiting is the cancer of the 16th Region as they did not get one transfer in during that time. Now the time is up. They are right back at it getting 4/5 players in the past few months from the tri-state area. I would like to think the new Coach isn't like the last, but it appears the plan he learned under the previous Coach is about to bite them in rear again. Will Tackett and the rest of the Khsaa going to let the new saga of recruitment at Ashland go unpunished. We shall see over the next few weeks if the Russell PG/BC backup PG may find themselves smack dab in a middle of an eligibility issue. I would hate it for those kids to lose a year for being misled by the handlers of that program. But the crazy dads of those kids will ruin it for them.
So by your logic, Boyd is the favorite to be the best team, because they beat Ashland 3 times last year. Ashland is the favorite to win the region, because they beat Boyd 1 time at that last year. Gotcha.
(10-07-2024, 01:16 PM)HOOPFAN Wrote:
(10-07-2024, 10:59 AM)Appalachian Cat Wrote:
(10-07-2024, 06:52 AM)HOOPFAN Wrote: Numbers and win and losses don’t support your opinion.

I think you confused. BC won 3 games and Ashland lost 3.  Boyd lost 1 and Ashland won 1. It looks like Ashland has been out coached in my opinion. That is a plain as the nose on your face. The program who just came off a two year probation for recruiting is the cancer of the 16th Region as they did not get one transfer in during that time. Now the time is up. They are right back at it getting 4/5 players in the past few months from the tri-state area. I would like to think the new Coach isn't like the last, but it appears the plan he learned under the previous Coach is about to bite them in rear again. Will Tackett and the rest of the Khsaa going to let the new saga of recruitment at Ashland go unpunished. We shall see over the next few weeks if the Russell PG/BC backup PG may find themselves smack dab in a middle of an eligibility issue. I would hate it for those kids to lose a year for being misled by the handlers of that program. But the crazy dads of those kids will ruin it for them.
Win and you don’t have to recruit.  Kids will come there to be apart of something special.
Keep crazy parents off the benches and kids will come there to be apart of something special.  
Have an actual Coach that is not bullied by the parents and kids will come there to be apart of something special.  Do you see a pattern?  For once try to make your team better rather than trying to tear down another program to get a cheap win.  Ashland lives in your head rent free!  And remember… No trespassing!
[-] The following 2 users Like Appalachian Cat's post:
  • Fanman, LOOKAYANNER

That’s like saying Lebron is better than Jordan because he has played in 10 finals and only won 4 of them.  What an idiot.
(10-07-2024, 09:36 PM)Ky1976 Wrote:

That’s like saying Lebron is better than Jordan because he has played in 10 finals and only won 4 of them.  What an idiot.

This guy's logic is uncanny. I'm starting to buy into it. I think we should get Tom Brady to relinquish his 2020 Super Bowl ring because it was with a wildcard team. The Bucs lost to their divisional rival the Saints twice during the season, getting blown out the second time but Brady and the Bucs beat the Saints a few weeks later in the playoffs. Heck, come to think of it, we should get rid of the very notion of a wildcard team. I'm loving this new age of thought. I'm quickly becoming a true renaissance man!
[-] The following 1 user Likes i82much's post:
  • Appalachian Cat

Your comment doesn’t make sense.  Please keep commenting and solidifying my point.  Ashland played in 6 regional Championship games and won 6 Championship games.  There is a reason that kids do not want to come to Boyd.  Look in the mirror rather than trying all the shady junk.  It is becoming a program that is laughed at across the state due to all the “Cry Wolfe” calls made to the KHSAA.  They are tired of a certain daddy calling every single season.  As I stated earlier…. Coach the young men and try to win without all of the trash!  Until then, Boyd will be Boyd!
(10-08-2024, 11:31 AM)Appalachian Cat Wrote:

Your comment doesn’t make sense.  Please keep commenting and solidifying my point.  Ashland played in 6 regional Championship games and won 6 Championship games.  There is a reason that kids do not want to come to Boyd.  Look in the mirror rather than trying all the shady junk.  It is becoming a program that is laughed at across the state due to all the “Cry Wolfe” calls made to the KHSAA.  They are tired of a certain daddy calling every single season.  As I stated earlier…. Coach the young men and try to win without all of the trash!  Until then, Boyd will be Boyd!

I think the point is proven. 3-1 last year BC vs Ashland.
LOL. Cant believe they even made them play the tournament, should've handed them the trophy  :D
(10-08-2024, 03:33 PM)HOOPFAN Wrote:
(10-08-2024, 11:31 AM)Appalachian Cat Wrote:

I think the point is proven.  3-1 last year BC vs Ashland.
6X Regional Champions is point proven!  Ok. Now your turn to post something better.  Clock starts now…