Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Preseason rankings in 14th….
Sperry gross Terry and crew will not have issue down by the north fork though with LCC Jenkins or anyone else besides the other top 3 teams and even those teams will have a problem on their hands dealing with Austin Wolfe will alway be tough cause it’s a rival game 

“Barring injuries” the top 4 will be hazard Perry Knott and they won’t be in the region top 4 end of the season 

Good luck to coach noble I saw them 2/3 times this summer and looked like he would be fine. Sounds like a lot of upset dads of kids who couldn’t make it before are coming out already with all this hidden talent deal they got. 

According to media and fb their best returning player is a transfer. Right? The Delany kid that was out most of last year with injury? When we played them he was the only one who played well Hamilton. 

Just stating that idk or remember the last player that left LCC that was so good people got to transfer besides Cam besides him idk of even one that has left and been successful at another region school but hey BB (rip) seemed to do really well with the father and kid as I recall no issues LOTS of banners 

But hey maybe I am incorrect their ability of kids walking the halls that can avg 10+ or being such great athletes over the years and make them region contenders I just don’t remember them hanging any banners there since inception (correct me if I’m wrong) and apologies 

I think it’s Knott Co 6-0 in the 53rd with the region on notice of the Osbourne kid. 
Seeing him this summer shocked a lot of people of his talent and athletic ability 

And I think it’s us and the Dawgs in the regional title game to see Rupp
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bluegrassbredbobcat's post:
  • Bigbluewarehouse
(08-29-2024, 01:47 PM)Bluegrassbredbobcat Wrote: Sperry gross Terry and crew will not have issue down by the north fork though with LCC Jenkins or anyone else besides the other top 3 teams and even those teams will have a problem on their hands dealing with Austin Wolfe will alway be tough cause it’s a rival game 

“Barring injuries” the top 4 will be hazard Perry Knott and they won’t be in the region top 4 end of the season 

Good luck to coach noble I saw them 2/3 times this summer and looked like he would be fine. Sounds like a lot of upset dads of kids who couldn’t make it before are coming out already with all this hidden talent deal they got. 

According to media and fb their best returning player is a transfer. Right? The Delany kid that was out most of last year with injury? When we played them he was the only one who played well Hamilton. 

Just stating that idk or remember the last player that left LCC that was so good people got to transfer besides Cam besides him idk of even one that has left and been successful at another region school but hey BB (rip) seemed to do really well with the father and kid as I recall no issues LOTS of banners 

But hey maybe I am incorrect their ability of kids walking the halls that can avg 10+ or being such great athletes over the years and make them region contenders I just don’t remember them hanging any banners there since inception (correct me if I’m wrong) and apologies 

I think it’s Knott Co 6-0 in the 53rd with the region on notice of the Osbourne kid. 
Seeing him this summer shocked a lot of people of his talent and athletic ability 

And I think it’s us and the Dawgs in the regional title game to see Rupp

Hazard & Breathitt have been the 2 best teams in the region for 3 years in a row counting this season. They have played each other in the semi final the last two seasons due to the draw. I’d love to see a Hazard / Breathitt championship but being the 2 best teams don’t guarantee you anything
Hazard will be hard to handle with the three headed monster of Eversole, Caudill & Beverly but Sperry and friends will give it heck trying no doubt.
Anyone heard any rumors about coaching changes about to happen in the 14th??
No Blackhawk, why don’t you fill us in.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Medusa's post:
  • P. Fanning
(08-27-2024, 09:13 AM)TwinTowers Wrote: 1.Hazard 
2. Breathitt co
3. PCC
4. KCC
5. Leslie co
6. LCC
7. Wolfe co
8. Powell co
9. Jenkins 
10. Estill co

Top 3 seem to be the class of the region & one of them will make it to Rupp, overall I think the region is down from years past. Sleeper team is Jenkins in my eyes and should be better than 9th in the region, I think LCC can play with anyone due to new players coming back out to play & kcc can make noise depending on who is and who’s not playing for them this year. Interesting to see who breathitt plays in the semis but they’ll see either Perry or hazard barring a huge upset.

Not sure if this is coaches or media poll, just what I was shown.

It’s supposedly a coaches poll. But when cats pawse comes out, it will be based off start of the summer. Coaches either submit their stuff on their team and their teams change by time it’s out. Or if they don’t respond they do a write up based on last year. So often it’s about players not even there anymore.
Tier 1 Hazard, Perry
Tier 2 Breathitt, Knott (Could knock one of the two above off if they have a good night)
Tier 3 Doesn’t matter someone said it on here hands down worst region in the state. The rest of the teams have no chance.
[-] The following 1 user Likes GotYouInMyScope's post:
  • shottaker23
(08-31-2024, 05:29 PM)GotYouInMyScope Wrote: Tier 1 Hazard, Perry 
Tier 2 Breathitt, Knott (Could knock one of the two above off if they have a good night)
Tier 3 Doesn’t matter someone said it on here hands down worst region in the state. The rest of the teams have no chance.
I 100% agree other than Knott(unless they were missing players in summer ball). And yes this the most down the 14th has been in a long time boys and girls. Honestly I see no way anyone competes with better teams from surrounding regions and especially statewide.
[-] The following 1 user Likes shottaker23's post:
  • GotYouInMyScope
(08-28-2024, 05:44 PM)CriticalThinker Wrote: I wasn’t necessarily talking about the rankings but out of curiosity which rankings were you referring to?

(08-31-2024, 12:12 PM)FanoftheBasketball Wrote:
2. Breathitt co
3. PCC
4. KCC
5. Leslie co
6. LCC
7. Wolfe co
8. Powell co
9. Jenkins 
10. Estill co

Top 3 seem to be the class of the region & one of them will make it to Rupp, overall I think the region is down from years past. Sleeper team is Jenkins in my eyes and should be better than 9th in the region, I think LCC can play with anyone due to new players coming back out to play & kcc can make noise depending on who is and who’s not playing for them this year. Interesting to see who breathitt plays in the semis but they’ll see either Perry or hazard barring a huge upset.

It’s supposedly a coaches poll. But when cats pawse comes out, it will be based off start of the summer. Coaches either submit their stuff on their team and their teams change by time it’s out. Or if they don’t respond they do a write up based on last year. So often it’s about players not even there anymore.

Cats Pause picked the regional champion correctly last year, picked the regional runner up correctly, picked the final four correctly and the top eight were the eight teams in the regional tournament.
I've done the write up for 30 years. It's not based on last year. I call every coach in the region if I don't see them in summer ball. The story is written in June and July but we try to update when school starts if someone moves.
(09-01-2024, 06:41 PM)HCS Wrote:
(08-28-2024, 05:44 PM)CriticalThinker Wrote: I wasn’t necessarily talking about the rankings but out of curiosity which rankings were you referring to?

(08-31-2024, 12:12 PM)FanoftheBasketball Wrote:
2. Breathitt co
3. PCC
4. KCC
5. Leslie co
6. LCC
7. Wolfe co
8. Powell co
9. Jenkins 
10. Estill co

Cats Pause picked the regional champion correctly last year, picked the regional runner up correctly, picked the final four correctly and the top eight were the eight teams in the regional tournament.
I've done the write up for 30 years. It's not based on last year. I call every coach in the region if I don't see them in summer ball. The story is written in June and July but we try to update when school starts if someone moves.

I love the publication and have gotten it for years. I guess I was basing some on personal experience with my kids on teams in other regions.  I’m sure the top teams and rankings were always pretty accurate.  Some of those teams I’m referring to im sure the coaches never responded and every year they’d include players no longer there. But no fault of whoever was doing the research if it’s not that high profile, how could you really know? Still think it’s great. I will have to start reading the 14th again more now that I have reconnected with the area.  Sorry didn’t mean to bash it at all, was more responding to thoughts someone had of why certain lower teams were ranked so high thinking it’s probably based on stuff from last year and from summer ball and things at certain places change a lot bw june and October 15th.
Players do move around, and I can't say that I haven't missed some transfers in recent years. The 13th and 14th are pretty close to being up to date. I see about half the teams in the summer and talk to most of the other coaches, except for a few I can never get to call me back or answer their phone or email.
(09-02-2024, 10:37 PM)HCS Wrote: Players do move around, and I can't say that I haven't missed some transfers in recent years. The 13th and 14th are pretty close to being up to date. I see about half the teams in the summer and talk to most of the other coaches, except for a few I can never get to call me back or answer their phone or email.

I would think that’s a fun job to have! I’ve actually since heard nothing but good things. You can’t help when coaches don’t respond or changes happen. Pretty cool!
Your “worst region in the state” comment is fairly common in most years but I think as far as analyzing regional competition to see who wins the championship the “worst” label is irrelevant. We all pretty much can name the 3 to 5 regions that the champion will come out of every year and rarely do the mountain regions get any consideration. But someone will still win the 14th and play in Rupp Arena in the Sweet 16, and proudly hang a banner in their gym. For the last 50 years only a handful of mountain schools have won the state championship….Clay County, Paintsville, Shelby Valley….and that’s a low percentage. 
So I’m not going to get all hung up on the statewide status of our region’s chances. I’m going to simply enjoy the battle within the region to see who can make it to Rupp Arena.
[-] The following 3 users Like LOOKAYANNER's post:
  • Bigbluewarehouse, HCS, Medusa
(09-11-2024, 09:01 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:
Your “worst region in the state” comment is fairly common in most years but I think as far as analyzing regional competition to see who wins the championship the “worst” label is irrelevant. We all pretty much can name the 3 to 5 regions that the champion will come out of every year and rarely do the mountain regions get any consideration. But someone will still win the 14th and play in Rupp Arena in the Sweet 16, and proudly hang a banner in their gym. For the last 50 years only a handful of mountain schools have won the state championship….Clay County, Paintsville, Shelby Valley….and that’s a low percentage. 
So I’m not going to get all hung up on the statewide status of our region’s chances. I’m going to simply enjoy the battle within the region to see who can make it to Rupp Arena.

Yeah, no point in going over that again unless it's something about ranking the regions. It doesn't make Perry's trip to the state tournament any less important than any of the other 15.
I felt the same way about the comment on the official from a few years back in the thread about the new HCHS coach. He had nothing to do with any calls in that game.
(09-12-2024, 06:18 PM)HCS Wrote:

Yeah, no point in going over that again unless it's something about ranking the regions. It doesn't make Perry's trip to the state tournament any less important than any of the other 15.
I felt the same way about the comment on the official from a few years back in the thread about the new HCHS coach. He had nothing to do with any calls in that game.
Are you saying that referees don’t have anything to do with calls during a game??? They have everything to do with it. It’s their decisions that determine the calls.
I said the new coach didn't have anything to do with it.
(09-12-2024, 10:56 PM)HCS Wrote: I said the new coach didn't have anything to do with it.
I misunderstood. Sorry. I don’t think as clearly as I did when I was younger. lol
(09-12-2024, 11:07 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:
(09-12-2024, 10:56 PM)HCS Wrote: I said the new coach didn't have anything to do with it.
I misunderstood. Sorry. I don’t think as clearly as I did when I was younger. lol

Me either.
First time I remember seeing a post of yours that surprised me. Not saying it was wrong - just out of place.
(09-12-2024, 11:37 PM)HCS Wrote:
(09-12-2024, 11:07 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:

Me either.
First time I remember seeing a post of yours that surprised me. Not saying it was wrong - just out of place.
Yes, for sure.

Did I say that their trip would be any less than anyone else’s? No I did not, did I discredit if any of the teams won a region? Nope sure didn’t do that either. “Worst region in the state” is 100% adequate to say because some delusional people over in that neck of the words think they can compete at the state level. Just cause you don’t think it doesn’t mean other people don’t, no one ever discredited any of the teams winning a region so try again. Lastly, it’s pretty sad you don’t care about your region “statewide status” might be why it’s in the shape it is. I’m sure the “3 to 5 regions” you mentioned don’t have that mindset. Going all the way back to 2015/2016 looks like the above logic other regions don’t really use. 

Lyon Region 2
Warren Region 4
GRC Region 10
Highlands Region 9 
Trinity Region 7
Cov Cath Region 9
Bowling Green Region 4
Paul Dunbar Region 11
[-] The following 2 users Like GotYouInMyScope's post:
  • P. Fanning, shottaker23
(09-14-2024, 12:36 PM)GotYouInMyScope Wrote:

Did I say that their trip would be any less than anyone else’s? No I did not, did I discredit if any of the teams won a region? Nope sure didn’t do that either. “Worst region in the state” is 100% adequate to say because some delusional people over in that neck of the words think they can compete at the state level. 

Well said. Those same people are the first to start hyping up kids as "D-1" prospects when in reality, if they got an offer from nearby Alice Lloyd it would be a great accomplishment. I know ALC has had a lot of 14th region talent go there and do well, but they've also had their fair share of 14th region signees either quit, or never get off the bench. 14th Region fans love to overhype and overrate.
[-] The following 2 users Like P. Fanning's post:
  • GotYouInMyScope, shottaker23
(09-14-2024, 01:49 PM)P. Fanning Wrote:
(09-14-2024, 12:36 PM)GotYouInMyScope Wrote:

Did I say that their trip would be any less than anyone else’s? No I did not, did I discredit if any of the teams won a region? Nope sure didn’t do that either. “Worst region in the state” is 100% adequate to say because some delusional people over in that neck of the words think they can compete at the state level. 

Well said. Those same people are the first to start hyping up kids as "D-1" prospects when in reality, if they got an offer from nearby Alice Lloyd it would be a great accomplishment. I know ALC has had a lot of 14th region talent go there and do well, but they've also had their fair share of 14th region signees either quit, or never get off the bench. 14th Region fans love to overhype and overrate.

You having a bad day, man?
Can you point out any of these "D-1" prospects from the 14th Region that were overhyped?

Trying to think of all the kids heralded as D-1 basketball players I can recall in the last several years or more.

Braxton Beverly? Started 99 D-1 games between NC State and EKU and averaged a shade under 9 ppg
Mr. Basketball Camron Justice? 11.5 career ppg with Vandy and IUPUI and then a COVID year at WKU
Evan Hall? Played for IUPUI and averaged 7+ pts and 5+ rpg
Maybe Justin Johnson at WKU? 1500+ pts and 1000+ rebounds and playing professionally overseas

Maybe the Cordia kids Christian Cunningham (11+ ppg at Samford and Louisviille), Emmanual Owootoah (60 games for Fresno State before transferring and winning a D-III national title) or Markquis Nowell (Little Rock and Kansas State, just under 15 ppg career and currently NBA developmental)
Maybe we're going back to Jaysean Paige (9+ ppg for WVU and now playing professionally)

Maybe we're talking on the girls side like Whitney Creech (7 pts and 3 assists for WKU)

It's possible that you've heard some mama bear claim her kid is going D-I and it's filled you with rage or something? There is possibly a D-I prospect that I'm overlooking who went to Alice Lloyd instead. Or, the most likely scenario, you're just talking out of your hind end.
That being said, the 14th Region has the longest drought from their last state champion in Carr Creek and I don't see that changing any time soon. It doesn't mean they are the worst region in the state every year, it just means they haven't been the best. The last few years have been down compared to others.
Nice Post Zaga. I feel like most people feel the way they do because kids ORIGINALLY from this region don’t end up playing D1.

Braxton Beverly - left 14th region. Would probably ended up at UPike or Gtown if he had stayed at Perry. Smart move leaving.

Cam Justice - Not from 14th
Justin Johnson - Not from 14th
Cunningham - Not from 14th
Oowatoo - Not from 14th
Paige - Not from 14th
Nowell - Not from 14th

Evan Hall, Kendall Noble and Whitney Creech done real good in D1 basketball.
I'll give credit to Justice and Johnson. Justice played up in middle school at East Ridge, and then Justin Johnson followed Kevin Spurlock from Sheldon Clark to Perry Central. Both came from the 15th region, another region not known for producing D-1 talent.

At the end of the day, the 14th Region compared to the rest of the state is a lot like a mid/low major D-1 conference. The games are intense and making the tournament is the big accomplishment. Having said that, it would be nice if the region had talent enough to where just making it isn't good enough, but winning when you get there but it is what it is.
I think a lot of people get confused when they hear he or she is a D1 talent. They automatically assume they’re talking about being good enough to play for UK and after watching that kid they know they’re nowhere near that good. Then they walk away saying that kid is overhyped.
I hope most fans understand there’s a huge difference between being good enough for UK and being good enough for Morehead even tho both schools are D1.
I’m not saying a kid don’t fall through the cracks here and there but for the most part in today’s world. These kids are known by all the scouts whether it be through recruiting services , travel ball , camps , highlight reels , social media , hudl or school ball.They have been seen by the right people and the professional scouts know more about talent than all these mountain media outlets put together.
Bout that time boys. 2 man race this year. Hazard and Breathitt.
2. Breathitt co
3. PCC
4. KCC
5. Leslie co
6. LCC
7. Wolfe co
8. Powell co
9. Jenkins 
10. Estill co

1.Hazard-very solid team
2. Breathitt
3-4 KCC or PCC could be either way
5. LCC
Hazard is clear favorite and should be top 20 team in the state.
(10-12-2024, 10:16 AM)Houndsmam1947 Wrote: Hazard is clear favorite and should be top 20 team in the state.
I will agree that Hazard will be the clear favorite, but not close to top 20. The mtns have a couple of teams that will sniff top 20 but they are in the 16th and 13th. Al won't come outta Hazard to play anyone and you won't be ranked by staying at home all year and the people who do the rankings are in Lex and Lville.