3. PCC
4. KCC
5. Leslie co
6. LCC
7. Wolfe co
8. Powell co
9. Jenkins 
10. Estill co

Top 3 seem to be the class of the region & one of them will make it to Rupp, overall I think the region is down from years past. Sleeper team is Jenkins in my eyes and should be better than 9th in the region, I think LCC can play with anyone due to new players coming back out to play & kcc can make noise depending on who is and who’s not playing for them this year. Interesting to see who breathitt plays in the semis but they’ll see either Perry or hazard barring a huge upset.

Not sure if this is coaches or media poll, just what I was shown.
I'd love to see Jenkins at least make the 14th Region tournament. Always have thought a lot of Winston Lee and Jenkins in general.
Leslie will be top 3 by end of year. I think Perry will drop because they have no size, KCC has no size and strength, Breathitt is 2 but no one and I mean no one is beating hazard this year if things stay as they are now. No one will want to play Leslie come March
Who wouldn’t to play Leslie? They haven’t beaten anyone.
Hazard be tough to beat
Not sure on Leslie, can’t say I’ve heard anything from anyone saying they’re that good or will be. Shannon keeps pcc at 3 regardless, he & holland battling for best coach in the region. Hazard by far most talented overall but sperry is something no one else has around here so will be a battle between those 2 programs I feel. Wolfe, Letcher, & Jenkins are the teams no one looks forward to playing in post season I think.
(08-28-2024, 10:38 AM)TwinTowers Wrote: Not sure on Leslie, can’t say I’ve heard anything from anyone saying they’re that good or will be. Shannon keeps pcc at 3 regardless, he & holland battling for best coach in the region. Hazard by far most talented overall but sperry is something no one else has around here so will be a battle between those 2 programs I feel. Wolfe, Letcher, & Jenkins are the teams no one looks forward to playing in post season I think.

Hazard shouldn’t have a close game in the region. I think Breathitt will stick with their normal game plan of let’s see how many shots Sperry can take. I don’t see Wolfe , Letcher or Jenkins being a threat to anyone anytime during the season. I know Perry is down but I won’t be surprised to see a Hazard / Perry regional championship.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chubby Smith's post:
  • Bigbluewarehouse
I'm not sure how wolfe is ranked so high I figured they would be much lower and leslie ain't gonna be no top 3 team either I'd bet my whole pay check on that they may do better then expected john is a good coach but top 3 no
powell is only ranked so low because no one knows what they have, hazard will surely choke again and sperry isn’t enough firepower for breathitt. too many big heads on knott, there will be plenty of shocked faces this year in the 14th.
Don’t sleep on Jenkins, Winston has a lot of talent this year & won’t be surprised to see them make some noise. Lcc will have new players coming back out to play, may not be region contender but a dark horse none the less to give people headaches & I’ll throw Powell in there as well. It’s still hazard & breathitt though in the end
(08-28-2024, 12:48 PM)TwinTowers Wrote: Don’t sleep on Jenkins, Winston has a lot of talent this year & won’t be surprised to see them make some noise. Lcc will have new players coming back out to play, may not be region contender but a dark horse none the less to give people headaches & I’ll throw Powell in there as well. It’s still hazard & breathitt though in the end
I also think it will be Hazard Breathitt at the end. I do think Hazard will start very strong as they should with returning everyone and adding Rydge. Breathitt will take some time to hit their stride as they work in two guards, probably Honnycutt and Collins or Stallard or both when they go with a 4 guard look. But Breathitt returns Sperry’s ability to get to the rim and the best two bigs in the region in Gross and Terry. Those predicting a walk in the park for Hazard could be wrong by the end of the season.
Let’s think in this top 10 perspective….

1) we are in the worst region in state hands down for boys basketball. 

2) anyone past hazard Breathitt Knott Perry in no order is not a contender

3) anyone below those 4 is not a “dark horse” that isn’t a real thing in the worst region in state the term itself if in a region where their are legit 8/12 teams that can win IE city regions and someone comes out of the blue has a great tourney run 

4) our region is predominantly top heavy with those 4 yearly being in some order of the final 4 or championship besides few runs from Estill LCC and that’s about it both those places are done for a while 

5) gross Terry Sperry are the only 3 that can even be in convo when it comes to competing with hazard and we are still a long way from that based on summer 

6) more kids on a team doesn’t equate talent or winning if they didn’t play for their old coach they prolly are not good enough or impactful to make a difference i don’t recall LCC being the place for hoopers just walking the hallways yearly since its inception besides Cam Justice who they ran off I do think LCC made a good hire with Noble 

7) Jenkins I agree with will be the best they have been in a long time with the Hayes transfer and returning for his 6th 7th or whatever year Sexton kid is 

8) gross isn’t leaving us that is insane to think you would leave a region contender out the blue senior year and he is close friends with the best player we have they are together daily 

9) Estill Lee Powell are not in contention for anything rebuilding years for sure Wolfe keep Creech was big but again the head coach will do what he always does there with talent LESLIE will be the shocker of the region if they stay healthy to be a good team but still no shot at hazard Perry Knott or us but as far as a “dark horse” it is definitely KNOTT if they stay healthy they return 4 of 5 starters to a region final 4 team 

10) Sperry is still the best player in region but much as I despise saying it Hazard will be a tall test if they stay healthy and together
If anyone in the 14th region gets within 15 points of Hazard I will be surprised. They have depth , they have experience , they play defense , they rebound & they move the ball till they get good shots.

I do think Breathitt is the 2nd best team in the region. Sperry is the best at getting to the rim , Gross & Terry are the best big combo in the region , Honeycutt , Collins & Stallard are good shooters. Here’s my concerns though. Will Coach Honeycutt use his bigs ? Will Sperry share the ball ? Can this bobcat team play defense ? What happens to this team when foul trouble occurs ?

Someone has to have an answer defensively for Eversole , Caudill , Beverly , Higgins , Combs + 2-3 more good bench players.

Not to pee anyone off but I see Big Al winning back to back regions before he heads for the pasture.
Hazard is the best team in the region this season. They can go ahead and get advanced rooms in Lexington for the Sweet 16.
Same thing was said about Hazard the last two years and the last two years they were taken down. On paper they are the best team, but that doesn’t always translate. That’s why we play the games. Not saying they won’t, just wouldn’t put all my eggs in one basket.
I absolutely agree with Bluegrass Bobcat and the statement that the 14th is the weakest region in the state this year(girls also). I think Breathitt wins because normally they do play teams outside of the mountains to try and play competition. Looking at Hazards schedule this year other than a tourney in Richmond Al doesn't leave the mtns this season(please correct me if I am mistaken). I know for a fact that 2 13th region teams contacted him about games and he declined. You get no better unless you play better comp and Breathitt does this. From what I seen in summer ball Breathitt has a better chance to win than Hazard. Anything can happen obviously. Good luck to all the mtn teams.
This is year is definitely hazards to lose but I thought the same thing last year an we failed to get the job done hopefully this year we can seal the deal!
(08-28-2024, 03:28 PM)CriticalThinker Wrote: Same thing was said about Hazard the last two years and the last two years they were taken down. On paper they are the best team, but that doesn’t always translate. That’s why we play the games. Not saying they won’t, just wouldn’t put all my eggs in one basket.

Hazard was ranked fourth in the preseason last year. They haven't been ranked first in several years, until this one.
I wasn’t necessarily talking about the rankings but out of curiosity which rankings were you referring to?
Y’all ever heard the old saying that defense wins championships ? You know who I believe is the best defensive team in the region ? The Hazard Bull Dawgs

Can Breathitt’s guards play lock down defense ? Will they be quick enough , strong enough & physical enough to guard Hazard ? Can Breathitt’s bigs handle Eversole , Higgins & Johnson ? If so then it’s gonna be some great games.

I wish season was starting tomorrow !
(08-28-2024, 05:44 PM)CriticalThinker Wrote: I wasn’t necessarily talking about the rankings but out of curiosity which rankings were you referring to?
The cats pause of course, is there another rankings source?
This thread is discussing the rankings of the coaches association, not the cats pause. Why I got confused.
(08-28-2024, 07:16 PM)CriticalThinker Wrote: This thread is discussing the rankings of the coaches association, not the cats pause. Why I got confused.
Someone said they were ranked 4th last year. That’s what they were ranked year in the CP. They typically mirror the coaches polls
That's correct. The Cats Pause.
I talk to the coaches every summer for those, so they should be close.
This was last year:

Teams

1. Perry Central
2. Breathitt County
3. Knott Central
4. Hazard
5. Letcher Central
6. Powell County
7. Estill County
8. Wolfe County
9. Leslie County
10. Owsley County
(05-16-2024, 09:39 AM)kentuckycriedchicken Wrote: You really think someone who hasn't coached high school basketball in 10 years is the right guy for the job?

(08-28-2024, 01:48 PM)Bluegrassbredbobcat Wrote: Let’s think in this top 10 perspective….

1) we are in the worst region in state hands down for boys basketball. 

2) anyone past hazard Breathitt Knott Perry in no order is not a contender

3) anyone below those 4 is not a “dark horse” that isn’t a real thing in the worst region in state the term itself if in a region where their are legit 8/12 teams that can win IE city regions and someone comes out of the blue has a great tourney run 

4) our region is predominantly top heavy with those 4 yearly being in some order of the final 4 or championship besides few runs from Estill LCC and that’s about it both those places are done for a while 

5) gross Terry Sperry are the only 3 that can even be in convo when it comes to competing with hazard and we are still a long way from that based on summer 

6) more kids on a team doesn’t equate talent or winning if they didn’t play for their old coach they prolly are not good enough or impactful to make a difference i don’t recall LCC being the place for hoopers just walking the hallways yearly since its inception besides Cam Justice who they ran off I do think LCC made a good hire with Noble 

7) Jenkins I agree with will be the best they have been in a long time with the Hayes transfer and returning for his 6th 7th or whatever year Sexton kid is 

8) gross isn’t leaving us that is insane to think you would leave a region contender out the blue senior year and he is close friends with the best player we have they are together daily 

9) Estill Lee Powell are not in contention for anything rebuilding years for sure Wolfe keep Creech was big but again the head coach will do what he always does there with talent LESLIE will be the shocker of the region if they stay healthy to be a good team but still no shot at hazard Perry Knott or us but as far as a “dark horse” it is definitely KNOTT if they stay healthy they return 4 of 5 starters to a region final 4 team 

10) Sperry is still the best player in region but much as I despise saying it Hazard will be a tall test if they stay healthy and together

LCC & others can be a dark horse to knock someone off but I also said they’re not region contenders so get my quotes correct before gracing us with your vast knowledge of all 14th region teams. Hazard is on paper and will be the favorite come March regardless of what happens because of Al alone & yes the region has been down for YEARS as we all have said for a long time.

And you do know the administration that ran off justice as you say has been gone…….for years as well. And you also don’t even know why they got rid of his dad even though cam was in the 6th grade at the time but that’s not what people want to talk about. You have no idea the talent that has walked the halls but for reasons you don’t know about hasn’t played. Most transferred out because of the recruiting that goes on but the kids that come back out will make them respectable but not region contenders.
It’s gotta be hazard but I could see 3/4 teams getting hot at the right time. Perry and Breathitt will definitely be in the mix. But I don’t think it’s anyone’s to lose. No real dominant team IMO. Playoff time should be very interesting.
Who will Perry start? Didn’t they lose several key players?
(08-29-2024, 09:43 AM)HoopsFan 24 Wrote: Who will Perry start? Didn’t they lose several key players?
We lost 2 seniors that played.  Slone and castle, but we got everyone else back
Slone and Castle will be hard to replace. Very big physical bodies with skill. Great young men too.
[Image:

]

Bolz, Coach Yosemite is tore up like a mutha getting no respect!  Patriot Nation is fired up and has been trying to contain the ghosts of Patriot past..... King, DT, Morty, Playboy, wowza!  

Pats by .75 over all of you

#wrathiscoming  #nobodydisrespectsyosemitesam   #didimentionwegotturf