Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Prestonsburg 22 Leslie County 19
Final.
Congratulations Blackcats!!

This game ended on a controversial call that would've changed the outcome.
I'll let you guys watch the film and decide for yourselves.
Hard fought on both sides!!!
congrats to wes hager on his first win
Way to go Blackcats! Maybe probably coulda shoulda been a DPI on 4th down, but it wasn’t called.

I am a little shocked that Leslie Co. didn’t use their final timeout there when PBurg was trying to kneel it out. They would’ve had roughly 30-40 secs left
Got to throw the football more if you’re a Leslie county fan. Everything I’ve said is coming tru to form with Perry and Leslie. It’s not rocket science. Congrats prestonsburg on the W
[-] The following 2 users Like Jet fighter's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, HowBoutThemBlackcats
Great effort Blackcats!! A lot of talk will be about the no PI call, but Leslie County had several players that Pburg had no answer for and they just didn't use them a lot—great gameplan from Pburg controlling the game and happy for Coach Wes. I can confidently say that he is a 10/1 better coach than the previous one. Hail Blackcats!
(08-23-2024, 11:03 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: Final.
Congratulations Blackcats!!

This game ended on a controversial call that would've changed the outcome.
I'll let you guys watch the film and decide for yourselves.
Hard fought on both sides!!!
More like a controversial 4th quarter.
Kids were robbed!! Not on pass interference(which would have put Leslie on 1) but the preceding PBurg TD. Even the ref apologized later. The forearm and elbow were down.

I like Leslie’s game plan. And really liked Collett and Kilburn on defense.
(08-23-2024, 11:22 PM)Jet fighter Wrote: Got to throw the football more if you’re a Leslie county fan.  Everything I’ve said is coming tru to form with Perry and Leslie.  It’s not rocket science.  Congrats prestonsburg on the W

True to form? I thought what you said is that Leslie County was going to make a statement.  They didn't make any kind of a statement that says they are going to push for first place in the district, that's for sure.
Officials clearly got those game deciding calls wrong, but I think it’s more wild that you can’t get those calls while playing at your home field.
Congratulations!!
They called this a TD for Pburg with 5 1/2 minutes left in the 4th quarter…

Thumbnail(s)

(08-24-2024, 12:50 AM)BlackAndYellow Wrote: They called this a TD for Pburg with 5 1/2 minutes left in the 4th quarter…
 What exactly are we looking at here?  Where is his head and the ball? It just like life a blur/blob.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Walt Longmire's post:
  • Blue_Bird96
(08-24-2024, 12:54 AM)Walt Longmire Wrote:
(08-24-2024, 12:50 AM)BlackAndYellow Wrote: They called this a TD for Pburg with 5 1/2 minutes left in the 4th quarter…
 What exactly are we looking at here?  Where is his head and the ball? It just like life a blur/blob.
The offensive player’s (white jersey) right elbow is on the ground and the football has not touched or crossed the goal line. This was called a TD. It should not have been called a TD.
Just curious was this 4th down or what???
(08-24-2024, 01:16 AM)64SUR Wrote:

Yep, 4th & 4..

Would love to know what BlackcatAlum & Concerned_Blackcat think about that call

Oh and this obvious defensive passing interference was not called either…

Thumbnail(s)

(08-24-2024, 01:24 AM)take the L big guy?BlackAndYellow Wrote:

Yep, 4th & 4..

Would love to know what BlackcatAlum & Concerned_Blackcat think about that call

Oh and this obvious defensive passing interference was not called either…
All im going to say is when I saw they wasn’t going to throw that flag, I thought there’s a chance the football gods have started smiling down on Pburg again
(08-24-2024, 12:25 AM)CriticalThinker Wrote: Officials clearly got those game deciding calls wrong, but I think it’s more wild that you can’t get those calls while playing at your home field.
Trust me! Leslie Co got plenty of calls to help, especially in the first half. Officials were horrible. Leslie was on the receiving end of the flags ALL 1st half but for whatever reason it switched. Roughly officiated game both ways. Loved the grit the Blackcats showed. Congrats P Burg. Way to start the season!

(08-24-2024, 01:05 AM)BlackAndYellow Wrote:
(08-24-2024, 12:54 AM)Walt Longmire Wrote:
The offensive player’s (white jersey) right elbow is on the ground and the football has not touched or crossed the goal line. This was called a TD. It should not have been called a TD.
So in this pic you can see an elbow down?

(08-24-2024, 12:25 AM)CriticalThinker Wrote: Officials clearly got those game deciding calls wrong, but I think it’s more wild that you can’t get those calls while playing at your home field.
Trust me! Leslie Co got plenty of calls to help, especially in the first half. Officials were horrible. Leslie was on the receiving end of the flags ALL 1st half but for whatever reason it switched. Roughly officiated game both ways. Loved the grit the Blackcats showed. Congrats P Burg. Way to start the season!
Super proud of the Blackcats effort and willingness to overcome so many obstacles tonight. Coming into this game down two starting linemen, best player basically playing with one hand, and your playing 4 freshman on both sides of the ball during crucial moments in this game. Forgot to mention you had one linemen out there with varsity experience and he only started 1 or 2 games last season. Odds were stacked against them, but these Blackcats made plays when needed and earned tonight’s win.

Hats off to be Pburg coaching staff also. They had to hear all off season about how they didn’t know football and weren’t going to be good. But they’ve pushed these players and prepared a very young inexperienced team for this season. Heckuva job by Hager and company.

Leslie County has some dudes. I thought they’d take more shots than they did in the second half. I felt good about Patton on Kilburn, but was concerned about the rest of the secondary vs Leslie’s receivers since the plan was to keep Elliott offense only.

Prestonsburg still has a LONG ways to go, but I feel like this team is ahead of schedule in their development and that can only be attributed to this coaching staff. They’re still moving guys around and figuring things out. Once you get Adams & Prince back on the line and Stumbo & Elliott get completely healthy this team is going to be tough to handle.

As for the officiating tonight, it was rough both ways. It does look like Elliott’s arm was down, but these calls happen at this level. It’s unfortunate, but I think we’ve all won some games and lost some because of questionable or bad calls.

Tough loss for Leslie, reality is this is game 1. You have 9 games left and you have a good ball team. Don’t allow tonight’s loss to linger into next week’s preparation. Best of luck on the rest of the season.

Great game as I expected.

Congrats Blackcats!!!
Congrats to Coach Hager and the Black cats. Huge win for a new coach and a recovering program. It’s one game but Phrestonsburg could be a contender for the district if they keep momentum going.
Always nice to see the black cats competing
After watching the end zone view, we definitely got away with one. Leslie had us beat, we interfered with the pass and got away with it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Concerned_Blackcat's post:
  • BlackAndYellow
Well, I don't have a dog in this fight so I don't consider my opinion biased for either team. First of all, Leslie looked like a different team in this game than they did against Harlan County!!!

I do not think the refs were consistent in their officiating. The Pburg touchdown that's being questioned looked like a good call to me. However, I was watching on TV so I wasn't there to see it in person. The commentators did show that play several times, and they thought it was a TD too. I don't know.....there's no reviewing in high school football, and even if he was down, it would be very difficult to be accurate in that play.

The PI that wasn't called in the end zone, was definitely interference. And it was plain even on TV. The receiver complained to the official and got a flag thrown on him. That's just some weak tea, IMO. Of course, I don't know what was said, but I can certainly see why he was upset and I think he deserved to complain.

Pburg scored on their first offensive play of the game, if I'm remembering correctly. Strong run and smart running, too. They dominated Leslie for most of that first quarter. But Leslie got it together and just bowled Pburg over for much of the rest of the game. Pburg responded though. This was a hard fought game from beginning to end and was a great GOTW for WYMT!!!

As far as Leslie's coach calling the time out, I think he was pissed at the officials and just gave up. He had gotten some questionable calls against him and even stomped onto the field a couple of times. I didn't blame him.

You know, I coached basketball for over 35 years and never had a technical foul called on me or got tossed out of the game. Looking back over that history, that is just unbelievable. One time, I backed a coach against the wall and threatened him. No call!!! Could have been because the entire gym full of people including the refs, wanted me to smack him. But I didn't.
(08-24-2024, 10:42 AM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote: After watching the end zone view, we definitely got away with one. Leslie had us beat, we interfered with the pass and got away with it.

What do ya know, a non-biased Blackcats fan. Shocking. Be careful CB, your Blackcat brethren may turn on you!
I don't like football enough to be considered a fan but the flood of video that I've seen that the officiating was pretty biased especially on the 2 calls that influenced the outcome of the game. That being said you always know that you've got to be better than the home team to win and Leslie wasn't. Got robbed but wasn't good enough to overcome a couple horrid calls(or noncalls)
I’m not taking nothing from neither team it was a great game but the white hat needs to go over the film with them that was two calls the affected the game now I understand in a bang bang play you want to thin quick call and have a Brain fart but you can tell the white hat what happen and get it right now the PI that guy don’t have a excuse unless he haven’t seen the eye dr that was the worst no call ever but congrats Coach Hager proud of you enjoy first of many Leslie got to work on keeping everything under control a player should never go to a official and question them for a period of time let the coach do that and the coaching got to be better play calling I felt they were out coached good luck two both teams congratulations Blackcats
(08-24-2024, 01:03 PM)shottaker23 Wrote: I don't like football enough to be considered a fan but the flood of video that I've seen that the officiating was pretty biased especially on the 2 calls that influenced the outcome of the game. That being said you always know that you've got to be better than the home team to win and Leslie wasn't. Got robbed but wasn't good enough to overcome a couple horrid calls(or noncalls)

Wasn’t Leslie Co. the home team?
It was 4th down but Pburg had to get to the one and a half yardline for a first. If he was down but made the first down yardage, they probably would have scored anyway but it’s hard to say exactly where he was on the field when his forearm was down.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Slim one's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
(08-24-2024, 03:23 PM)Slim one Wrote:
It was 4th down but Pburg had to get to the one and a half yardline for a first. If he was down but made the first down yardage, they probably would have scored anyway but it’s hard to say exactly where he was on the field when his forearm was down.
On video he would have been short he wasn’t even at the 2 yard line

(08-24-2024, 03:23 PM)Slim one Wrote:
But you still got to make the right call never know could be a fumble snap or anything go wrong