Poll: Who Wins
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Pikeville
51.35%
Corbin
48.65%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Pikeville vs Corbin 2024
(07-27-2024, 11:01 PM)Lets Go Brandon Wrote: Do your research and look it up Walt and by the way they also have a pretty good running back Chase Flaherty returning from last season.  Should be fun team to watch.

Like I said, with that kind of withering speed, no one in any class in Kentucky should be able to hold them under 40 points.  It isn't often that a 2A high school team has a wide receiving corp that is faster than those of: Georgia, Alabama, and even the Cincinnati Bengals (except for Ja'Maar Chase, he barely beats the Beechwood Lasers with a 4.38).  But the rest of the Tigers smoke Tee Higgins and Jermaine Burton.  Should be a 15-0 year.
So I know Walt you’re laying the sarcasm on pretty thick, but I know for a fact that in 2019 Pikeville had 4 receivers that were def all sub 4.6. Hensley, probably the fastest hit a laser 4.43 at UL football camp, Pugh was a sub 4.5 kid that played for 3 years at UL, Tinsley was a sub 4.6 kid that played a season at EKU and Lockhart who was only a Sophomore but was also a sub 4.6 kid that had an offer from UT Martin but decided to give up football.
That group went on to running clock every team in the playoffs thru 1A. So I’m saying it’s possible that 2A Beechwood may have multiple kids that are that fast. Kids today really work on their 40 times and it seems they are constantly improving. Now maybe that’s somewhat exaggerated but maybe it’s not. Also does that mean they’ll put up monumental numbers, not necessarily but I still wouldn’t completely discount it. But hey that’s my 2 cents
I guess we will see very soon.
How old are you Walt? It’s not 1970 and you are not at Fleming Neon anymore. These kids today train just for speed. If they are not in track they are working with a personal trainer who is more than likely working on their speed. And they work on it year around. These kids attend lots and lots of camps where they get timed in their 40s or for baseball their 60s. I can almost guarantee you that there are multiple high schools in the state of KY who have 3-5 kids running 4.5 40s or faster. I would imagine that Trinity, Frederick Douglass and Boyle are just a few that have 4-5 kids in that category. I would think that your guys at Pikeville have at least a few kids in that category. A school the size of Beechwood usually would only have maybe 1 or 2 of those kids every few years but it just so happens that this year they have 3 kids in that category and the other thing is they are not only fast but they are all 3 really good athletes and great football players. Your not in Kansas anymore Dorothy!
Speed helps a ton but just because a kid is fast doesn’t make him a good football player. I’m sure most know that, just saying. Give me a 4.7-4.8 receiver that’s coachable and can catch a football over a 4.3-4.4 kid that can’t catch and or run a good route, anyday.
[-] The following 1 user Likes VoR_58's post:
  • Big Five-0-
Back to the game....

Which team gets more out of the win here, Pikeville or Corbin?
(07-29-2024, 08:00 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Back to the game....

I think Corbin. New coach, new ideas,  late start for the new regime, maybe some uncertainty as for how quickly the kids take to the new system and how soon they buy in. All of that can be answered with a convincing win over a good Pikeville team. WIn or lose, Pikeville knows they're gonna win another 1A title in the end.  Corbin has more to gain with a good opening game performance.

(07-29-2024, 04:39 PM)VoR_58 Wrote: Speed helps a ton but just because a kid is fast doesn’t make him a good football player.  I’m sure most know that, just saying.  Give me a 4.7-4.8 receiver that’s coachable and can catch a football over a 4.3-4.4 kid that can’t catch and or run a good route, anyday.

Corbin's new 4.4 bolt of WV lightning is best positioned in the defensive backfield. That's where his college suitors see him at the next level.
(07-29-2024, 09:19 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(07-29-2024, 08:00 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Back to the game....

I think Corbin. New coach, new ideas,  late start for the new regime, maybe some uncertainty as for how quickly the kids take to the new system and how soon they buy in. All of that can be answered with a convincing win over a good Pikeville team. WIn or lose, Pikeville knows they're gonna win another 1A title in the end.  Corbin has more to gain with a good opening game performance.

WoW that's some serious respect when a top 4A team has more to gain playing a 1A team lol...

Seriously this game has serious playoff implications. Even this early, could end up determining if both teams are home throughout the playoffs or have to go on the road at some point. Huge game for pride and RPI points.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • HighViz
Pikeville has a happy bus ride home this time. Belly full of cedar plank Salmon!

Hounds don have the “it” factor this year that I have seen like in years past.
(07-27-2024, 12:29 AM)Lets Go Brandon Wrote: Luke Erdman won the 100 and 200 KY state championship and ran a 4.47 laser timed 40, Tyler Fryman ran a 6.2 laser timed 60 at national baseball showcase which tied the fastest time at the showcase and James Cusick ran a 4.57 laser timed 40 at the Naval Academy football camp. Better have your track shoes along with your bull butter if your playing Beechwood Elvis.

The Beechwood line also has 2 kids who have D1 offers and the other 3 starters all returning starters from last season. One of the kids is a transfer from Cincinnati Moeller who started guard at Moeller last season. Average size of their offensive line will be around 6’2” 240 I would guess that their line is probably bigger and more athletic than either Corbin or Class A Pikeville. Sorry but you are wrong again.

The Beechwood line also has 2 kids who have D1 offers and the other 3 starters all returning starters from last season. One of the kids is a transfer from Cincinnati Moeller who started guard at Moeller last season. Average size of their offensive line will be around 6’2” 240 I would guess that their line is probably bigger and more athletic than either Corbin or Class A Pikeville. Sorry but you are wrong again.
You talk out the wrong end.
(07-27-2024, 12:43 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: Speaking of  under 4.5/40 guys, Corbin's Cabell Midland transfer, Myles Meadors has posted a sub 4.5 /40 , as well as a 11.02 /  100 m.  Received an offer from Marshall and EKU  earlier this month to add to his offer from Appy St.

Meadors is a Whitley County name . My great great great grandmother was a Meadors.
(07-31-2024, 07:51 PM)pjdoug Wrote:
(07-27-2024, 12:43 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: Speaking of  under 4.5/40 guys, Corbin's Cabell Midland transfer, Myles Meadors has posted a sub 4.5 /40 , as well as a 11.02 /  100 m.  Received an offer from Marshall and EKU  earlier this month to add to his offer from Appy St.

Meadors is a Whitley County name . My great great great grandmother was a Meadors.
Meadors couldn't start for Huntington so he transferred to Cabell Midland.  He is not a game breaker in WV much less Ky.
(08-03-2024, 10:37 PM)Highschoolguru Wrote:
(07-31-2024, 07:51 PM)pjdoug Wrote:
(07-27-2024, 12:43 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: Speaking of  under 4.5/40 guys, Corbin's Cabell Midland transfer, Myles Meadors has posted a sub 4.5 /40 , as well as a 11.02 /  100 m.  Received an offer from Marshall and EKU  earlier this month to add to his offer from Appy St.

Meadors couldn't start for Huntington so he transferred to Cabell Midland.  He is not a game breaker in WV much less Ky.
That interesting because I keep reading he runs 4.5 or better.  But his highlights don’t look like that.  Not saying he’s not great or fast because I’ve not seen him in person. Some posters on here have watched him and say he’s fast so I’m interested to see for myself live.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Belichick's post:
  • Big Five-0-
It doesn't matter how fast he is against Pikeville because they have 2 or 3 running backs who will leave cleat marks on his helmet.

Sorry, can't sleep and in troll mode...but it's true lol
[-] The following 3 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • Belichick, Fanatic42, pjdoug
I don't doubt Meadors is speedy. He was honorable mention in his class in WV which means ranked 50-100 in his class. WV football is weak but he will be a very good player for Corbin. You have to know where he is in all phases IMO. But they probably didn't give him a pickup truck so there is that...

Where you at OSH where you at? Don't make me do a Trump post and cause you to bounce off every wall in your house 10 times hehe...
[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • Belichick, Big Five-0-
Time to b4real. Who is the best team in the mountains? I think we will find out in week one. WOW, what a game for week one (Corbin vs Pikeville). I agree that Corbin and Pikeville are the two best High school football towns in the mountain. In fact, find me any better football towns in the state. I never said TEAMS, I said TOWNS. If you are one of those people who think Johnson or Belfry is still on the number one watch list, well just keep watching because Pikeville has Johnson in week two, and Belfry on 9/20. On the Pikeville schedule is also LCHS, Raceland, and Ironton.

Pikeville you got my respect with this schedule.
[-] The following 2 users Like b4real's post:
  • Big Five-0-, jetpilot
Lot of question marks to be answered for Corbin this season, they’ve lost a lot of production the last couple seasons that won’t easily be replaced….Greer wouldn’t have stepped aside if he thought he had a chance at going back to commonwealth….A lot of talent still on the field though Corbin’s junior class is loaded with talent, I’m just not sure there’s much else around them, 60 kids on the roster is telling in a way, its the first time in over a decade that there’s been any less than between 80-100 kids on the roster….wont be long till we find out what the seasons gonna look like
(08-04-2024, 02:09 PM)b4real Wrote: Time to b4real. Who is the best team in the mountains? I think we will find out in week one. WOW,  what a game for week one (Corbin vs Pikeville). I agree that Corbin and Pikeville are the two best High school football towns in the mountain.  In fact, find me any better football towns in the state. I never said TEAMS, I said TOWNS.  If you are one of those people who think Johnson or Belfry is still on the number one watch list, well just keep watching because Pikeville has Johnson in week two, and Belfry on 9/20. On the Pikeville schedule is also LCHS, Raceland, and Ironton. 

Agree and I have thought this for years. Not any better football TOWNS anywhere.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Big Five-0-
(08-04-2024, 02:09 PM)b4real Wrote: Time to b4real. Who is the best team in the mountains? I think we will find out in week one. WOW,  what a game for week one (Corbin vs Pikeville). I agree that Corbin and Pikeville are the two best High school football towns in the mountain.  In fact, find me any better football towns in the state. I never said TEAMS, I said TOWNS.  If you are one of those people who think Johnson or Belfry is still on the number one watch list, well just keep watching because Pikeville has Johnson in week two, and Belfry on 9/20. On the Pikeville schedule is also LCHS, Raceland, and Ironton. 

This sounds more like chest thumping more than anything else. each season is unique for both programs. I think trying to gauge off a game that one team is coming into with very little turnover personnel wise or change while the other program has had to adapt really late in the preseason with a major coaching change and complete culture reset and a major loss of very talented senior class is not a great gauge. because lets be honest last seasons Corbin team would have ran Pikeville under the bus, I watched both last season.  I think both TOWNS and TEAMS are top notch. I think it will be a great game with two top mountain teams but it will not be a game I would gauge one superior to the other with the handicaps Corbin has coming into this game, with that said I do still think that Corbin can leave this game with a dub equally to Pikeville. should be great game.
(08-05-2024, 10:17 AM)Big Boomer Wrote:

This sounds more like chest thumping more than anything else. each season is unique for both programs. I think trying to gauge off a game that one team is coming into with very little turnover personnel wise or change while the other program has had to adapt really late in the preseason with a major coaching change and complete culture reset and a major loss of very talented senior class is not a great gauge. because lets be honest last seasons Corbin team would have ran Pikeville under the bus, I watched both last season.  I think both TOWNS and TEAMS are top notch. I think it will be a great game with two top mountain teams but it will not be a game I would gauge one superior to the other with the handicaps Corbin has coming into this game, with that said I do still think that Corbin can leave this game with a dub equally to Pikeville. should be great game.
I don't think a 5 point win (24-19) by Corbin at their place last season is hardly running Pikeville "under the bus". Not taking anything away from Corbin, they are always great competition with a great tradition and its exciting to know this game is scheduled annually. But to infer they were "ran under the bus" is more than a stretch. If you watched that game, you know that Pikeville came close to winning it. Looking forward to seeing it again this season.
(08-05-2024, 12:17 PM)Big Five-0- Wrote:

I don't think a 5 point win (24-19) by Corbin at their place last season is hardly running Pikeville "under the bus". Not taking anything away from Corbin, they are always great competition with a great tradition and its exciting to know this game is scheduled annually. But to infer they were "ran under the bus" is more than a stretch. If you watched that game, you know that Pikeville came close to winning it. Looking forward to seeing it again this season.
 I'm confused by this, Corbin didn't play Pikeville last season. Pikeville played Pulaski in the Pigskin Classic at University of the Cumberland's is the closest these two got to each other last season.
(08-05-2024, 01:12 PM)Big Boomer Wrote:

I'm confused by this, Corbin didn't play Pikeville last season. Pikeville played Pulaski in the Pigskin Classic at University of the Cumberland's is the closest these two got to each other last season.
No your not confused, lol!. My bad. That was a mistype on my part. That game was 2022. Still, this game should have a playoff type atmosphere. Hoping for a safe game for both teams.
(08-05-2024, 02:49 PM)Big Five-0- Wrote:

No your not confused, lol!. My bad. That was a mistype on my part. That game was 2022. Still, this game should have a playoff type atmosphere. Hoping for a safe game for both teams.
Big Grin no worries, agreed! I expect there to be a huge crowd for both games. should be two high quality games. I figure parking will be all the way into downtown Corbin by game time, like last year for the Fredrick Douglass game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Big Boomer's post:
  • Big Five-0-
(08-05-2024, 04:52 PM)Big Boomer Wrote:
(08-05-2024, 02:49 PM)Big Five-0- Wrote:
(08-05-2024, 10:17 AM)Big Boomer Wrote:  This sounds more like chest thumping more than anything else. each season is unique for both programs. I think trying to gauge off a game that one team is coming into with very little turnover personnel wise or change while the other program has had to adapt really late in the preseason with a major coaching change and complete culture reset and a major loss of very talented senior class is not a great gauge. because lets be honest last seasons Corbin team would have ran Pikeville under the bus, I watched both last season.  I think both TOWNS and TEAMS are top notch. I think it will be a great game with two top mountain teams but it will not be a game I would gauge one superior to the other with the handicaps Corbin has coming into this game, with that said I do still think that Corbin can leave this game with a dub equally to Pikeville. should be great game.
Big Grin no worries, agreed! I expect there to be a huge crowd for both games. should be two high quality games. I figure parking will be all the way into downtown Corbin by game time, like last year for the Fredrick Douglass game.
No doubt Boomer. What a big time football atmosphere that will be.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Big Five-0-'s post:
  • Big Boomer
Corbin didn’t play Pulaski last season in the pigskin at Cumberlands. They scheduled the Ohio team. Corbin and Pikeville has both had some teams that both should be proud of the last 5–7 years.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • Big Boomer
(08-04-2024, 12:15 AM)jetpilot Wrote: It doesn't matter how fast he is against Pikeville because they have 2 or 3 running backs who will leave cleat marks on his helmet.

Nothing better than a good troll.lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes pjdoug's post:
  • jetpilot
(08-08-2024, 08:04 PM)pjdoug Wrote:
(08-04-2024, 12:15 AM)jetpilot Wrote: It doesn't matter how fast he is against Pikeville because they have 2 or 3 running backs who will leave cleat marks on his helmet.

Nothing better than a good troll.lol

Didn't Hoot call you a troll? How dare him. LOL
Hearing Corbin staff were at Pikeville’s first preseason scrimmage. Can’t blame a first year coach not wanting to lose to a 1A school in his first game but that’s a decent trip to make. Kudos to them if true.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Belichick's post:
  • Big Five-0-
(08-08-2024, 10:45 PM)Belichick Wrote: Hearing Corbin staff were at Pikeville’s first preseason scrimmage. Can’t blame a first year coach not wanting to lose to a 1A school in his first game but that’s a decent trip to make. Kudos to them if true.
Wow! that's a long haul. Im in Tn. now and Corbin is much closer in mileage from where I'm at than to Pikeville.  Looking like he doesn't mind homework. Lol!
(08-08-2024, 10:52 PM)Big Five-0- Wrote:
(08-08-2024, 10:45 PM)Belichick Wrote: Hearing Corbin staff were at Pikeville’s first preseason scrimmage. Can’t blame a first year coach not wanting to lose to a 1A school in his first game but that’s a decent trip to make. Kudos to them if true.
Wow! that's a long haul. Im in Tn. now and Corbin is much closer in mileage from where I'm at than to Pikeville.  Looking like he doesn't mind homework. Lol!

I like seeing the coach putting in the extra work. You wouldn't have seen that with the previous coach. Sometimes I even questioned whether they ever watched game film.
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next