Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Floyd Central, Knott County Central, Martin County, Prestonsburg
(06-27-2024, 11:23 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote:
(06-27-2024, 09:36 PM)Sportscritic79 Wrote: I think this year will be a little down, but they will bounce back after that for the two years after.

Weather the storm Blackcats!
I would agree if they had a competent coaching staff. 

There’s a ton of talent coming up that’s going to be wasted with a coaching staff full of people who don’t know how to coach varsity football. He has no one on staff with legitimate varsity experience. Only guys who coached middle school ball and weren’t successful or who haven’t coached at all.
Just asking but are you a former staff member or someone the new coach didn’t want to be part of his staff? You really seem to not like the new coach. Hager and the team will have the opportunity to prove people wrong once the games begin. Not a Pburg fan but football was better in the mountains when they were good.
(06-27-2024, 11:28 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(06-27-2024, 09:36 PM)Sportscritic79 Wrote: I think this year will be a little down, but they will bounce back after that for the two years after.

There’s a ton of talent coming up that’s going to be wasted with a coaching staff full of people who don’t know how to coach varsity football. He has no one on staff with legitimate varsity experience. Only guys who coached middle school ball and weren’t successful or who haven’t coached at all.
Just asking but are you a former staff member or someone the new coach didn’t want to be part of his staff? You really seem to not like the new coach. Hager and the team will have the opportunity to prove people wrong once the games begin. Not a Pburg fan but football was better in the mountains when they were good.
No but I am a guy who has a son who has been coached by those guys and I’ve watched them time and time again make mistakes that can’t translate to Friday night. 

Hager is a fine coach from what I can tell but will have no help. I’ve watched favoritism and ineptitude cause the middle and grade school program to be passed up by teams with less talent.

It appears as though I should leave this site. To many people who look at things through rose colored sunglasses. 

Brewer and company weren’t good enough coaches when we got rid of them I thought we had a chance to be relevant again but we hired a kid and gave him a staff that has no experience or success all while local schools are on the rise. 

This is my last post but I hope that blackcat football doesn’t resemble former powers that fell apart due to the politics of a small town. 

We should all appreciate what John DeRossett accomplished at Pburg because it’s being proven that since he left, Pburg isn’t a football town anymore.
(06-27-2024, 11:33 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote:

No but I am a guy who has a son who has been coached by those guys and I’ve watched them time and time again make mistakes that can’t translate to Friday night. 

Hager is a fine coach from what I can tell but will have no help. I’ve watched favoritism and ineptitude cause the middle and grade school program to be passed up by teams with less talent.

It appears as though I should leave this site. To many people who look at things through rose colored sunglasses. 

Brewer and company weren’t good enough coaches when we got rid of them I thought we had a chance to be relevant again but we hired a kid and gave him a staff that has no experience or success all while local schools are on the rise. 

This is my last post but I hope that blackcat football doesn’t resemble former powers that fell apart due to the politics of a small town. 

We should all appreciate what John DeRossett accomplished at Pburg because it’s being proven that since he left, Pburg isn’t a football town anymore.
We can appreciate what John did while he coached but also realize it was time for that era to end. Much like Calipari at Kentucky, it’s okay to see when something has ran its course. The issue is that the DeRossett era ended a year too late or else we wouldn’t even be having this discussion.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BCF4L's post:
  • Blacksmith

I wouldn't leave myself if I were you. In today's world you have to stand your ground no matter who is for or against your comments. When you have real opinions that have truth in them, they will be plenty who get offended.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bull got out!'s post:
  • BlackcatAlum, Blacksmith, Westside
So everyone has Knott dead last? Not so sure of that. P-burgh and Floyd will struggle 
. Knott will be the most improved of all the teams. How much will they improve will be the question.

I do not think you should leave the site. Despite everything you've posted, since the hiring of Wes Hager things haven't been all doom and gloom. The morale and confidence is back up in the locker room and at these practices. Spring participation was up. Fundraising is up. Kids are having fun with the staff and they all seem to respect each other. You've just focused solely on the bad or tried to makes things much worse than what they really are. Just seems like you have an agenda. That's all.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Blacksmith
(07-01-2024, 12:11 PM)b4real Wrote: So everyone has Knott dead last? Not so sure of that. P-burgh and Floyd will struggle 
. Knott will be the most improved of all the teams. How much will they improve will be the question.
I do think Knott will be improved, but they're still going to be far behind the other 3 programs in the district.
(07-02-2024, 08:55 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:

I do not think you should leave the site. Despite everything you've posted, since the hiring of Wes Hager things haven't been all doom and gloom. The morale and confidence is back up in the locker room and at these practices. Spring participation was up. Fundraising is up. Kids are having fun with the staff and they all seem to respect each other. You've just focused solely on the bad or tried to makes things much worse than what they really are. Just seems like you have an agenda. That's all.
I hope all of these things are true after they have a 2-4 win season.
(07-02-2024, 09:42 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote: I hope all of these things are true after they have a 2-4 win season.
2-4 wins is all you see?
(07-02-2024, 11:11 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(07-02-2024, 09:42 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote: I hope all of these things are true after they have a 2-4 win season.
2-4 wins is all you see?
4 is the ceiling with the line situation. 

Elliott and Harris are fantastic athletes but regardless of their athletic ability, the offensive and defensive lines will be very weak and it is difficult to move the football without the guys up front. The truth is you’re starting at least 3 guys who have never played a varsity down on the offensive line. And defensively you’d have two to three defensive linemen who played any meaningful snaps coming back. I don’t foresee a team that will be able to run the ball or stop the run. There’s only so much that quick game passing and the screen game can get you. Couple this with the fact that Elliott is the only true play maker that’s on the team (everyone else will need scheme and play calling to assist their production). 

Then you have to add in the inexperience of the coaching staff. (I’ll be nice and not talk about their actual coaching ability). There will be situations that they either haven’t seen since they were a player more than a decade ago or have never seen in an actual game. This is will likely cost them a close game. 

We can talk about the rest of the schedule. Martin, Betsy Layne, Breathitt are all definite losses. Knott, Lewis, and East ridge (should) be definite wins. There’s 4 other games to pick up a win. Leslie, Paintsville, Floyd Central and Pike Central. Leslie will be down from last year but will have the advantage up front and similar athleticism other than Elliott. Thats a toss up BUT it’s at Leslie and that’s the toughest place to win in Kentucky is seems. Paintsville will be  improved just looking at the roster and who returns. I give them the check at QB and across the line. Elliot and Lauffer cancel each other out but Pburg wins the rest of the skill battle so that’s a true toss up. Floyd central returns their whole line plus gets the linemen back that broke his leg early last year. This one could be a bludgeoning but Pburg does have the speed and skill advantage. If they can get a stop or two they have a chance to win. 

I recently talked to two different coaches (who will remain anonymous obviously but if you want to private message me I’ll tell you) who said they would be lucky to win a game that wasn’t East Ridge, Lewis County or Knott. If that’s the belief on the coaching staff, whether they display that to the kids or not, that’s likely the truth. I’m pessimistic because the staff is pessimistic. I’ve really been trying to give these guys a chance the past little bit.
(07-02-2024, 11:51 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote:
2-4 wins is all you see?

Elliott and Harris are fantastic athletes but regardless of their athletic ability, the offensive and defensive lines will be very weak and it is difficult to move the football without the guys up front. The truth is you’re starting at least 3 guys who have never played a varsity down on the offensive line. And defensively you’d have two to three defensive linemen who played any meaningful snaps coming back. I don’t foresee a team that will be able to run the ball or stop the run. There’s only so much that quick game passing and the screen game can get you. Couple this with the fact that Elliott is the only true play maker that’s on the team (everyone else will need scheme and play calling to assist their production). 

Then you have to add in the inexperience of the coaching staff. (I’ll be nice and not talk about their actual coaching ability). There will be situations that they either haven’t seen since they were a player more than a decade ago or have never seen in an actual game. This is will likely cost them a close game. 

We can talk about the rest of the schedule. Martin, Betsy Layne, Breathitt are all definite losses. Knott, Lewis, and East ridge (should) be definite wins. There’s 4 other games to pick up a win. Leslie, Paintsville, Floyd Central and Pike Central. Leslie will be down from last year but will have the advantage up front and similar athleticism other than Elliott. Thats a toss up BUT it’s at Leslie and that’s the toughest place to win in Kentucky is seems. Paintsville will be  improved just looking at the roster and who returns. I give them the check at QB and across the line. Elliot and Lauffer cancel each other out but Pburg wins the rest of the skill battle so that’s a true toss up. Floyd central returns their whole line plus gets the linemen back that broke his leg early last year. This one could be a bludgeoning but Pburg does have the speed and skill advantage. If they can get a stop or two they have a chance to win. 

I recently talked to two different coaches (who will remain anonymous obviously but if you want to private message me I’ll tell you) who said they would be lucky to win a game that wasn’t East Ridge, Lewis County or Knott. If that’s the belief on the coaching staff, whether they display that to the kids or not, that’s likely the truth. I’m pessimistic because the staff is pessimistic. I’ve really been trying to give these guys a chance the past little bit.
I'll disagree with you that Elliott is the only true play maker on the team. I think he's the most proven and most dynamic, but I think Alex Harris, Kane Patton, Bryce Holbrook, and possibly Colin Hatfield can each be playmakers that can eat up chunks of yards. Obviously Elliott and Harris are going to be the workhorses this upcoming season.

I do agree with you about the line situation, but it is what it is at this point. I think the staff is confident in Daniel Adams, Noah Price, and even freshman Karston Johnson. After that I think they're hoping 2 or 3 grab the bull by the horns and prove they want this. I think offensively Hager has to find a offense this team is not only comfortable with, but can utilize speed, and create mismatches. I think a lot relies on the development of Holbrook as a passer and decision maker as well. I think Hager will roll him out a lot and design runs for him, but he has to protect the football and stay healthy also at QB. Implementing Kain Patton into the quick passing game and run game is going to be important too. Defenses are going to key on Elliott. This allows Patton to use his playmaking abilities and become a legit threat on the outside along with Elliott.

Defensively, the staff needs to find the 11 meanest guys that aren't afraid to hit someone and put them out there. Don't even need to worry about size. They just need to be able to be fast, mean, and willing to hit. Opposing teams game plans will obviously be to run it right at Prestonsburg and force them to make stops. This team will need to adopt a lot of what past Pburg teams were good at defensively and that was forcing turnovers and just being flat out mean.

As for the coaching experience, I do think they'll go through theirs ups and downs on the sidelines. I believe that is expected. Hopefully it doesn't cost the team a game, but if it does I hope the staff can admit that to the team and they can all learn from it and move forward. This team and staff will have to mature together as the season goes along.

I believe 6 or 7 wins is on the table with this group and if they can achieve that and host a playoff game then that should be considered a great first season under Hager. I know there's a ton of concern about the OL/DL, but I think it'll work out better than a lot are expecting.

Lastly, if coaches are going around and telling folks that the team will be lucky to win more than 3 games then I find that very frustrating and so should Hager. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but if 3 wins is what you expect, then that makes me question those coaches effort also. Like with all staffs, coaches are going to come and go. I'd like to think they'll weed out the ones who don't share the same vision and expectations.
[-] The following 2 users Like BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Blacksmith, Waitaminute
(07-03-2024, 01:01 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(07-02-2024, 11:51 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote:
2-4 wins is all you see?

I'll disagree with you that Elliott is the only true play maker on the team. I think he's the most proven and most dynamic, but I think Alex Harris, Kane Patton, Bryce Holbrook, and possibly Colin Hatfield can each be playmakers that can eat up chunks of yards. Obviously Elliott and Harris are going to be the workhorses this upcoming season.

I do agree with you about the line situation, but it is what it is at this point. I think the staff is confident in Daniel Adams, Noah Price, and even freshman Karston Johnson. After that I think they're hoping 2 or 3 grab the bull by the horns and prove they want this. I think offensively Hager has to find a offense this team is not only comfortable with, but can utilize speed, and create mismatches. I think a lot relies on the development of Holbrook as a passer and decision maker as well. I think Hager will roll him out a lot and design runs for him, but he has to protect the football and stay healthy also at QB. Implementing Kain Patton into the quick passing game and run game is going to be important too. Defenses are going to key on Elliott. This allows Patton to use his playmaking abilities and become a legit threat on the outside along with Elliott.

Defensively, the staff needs to find the 11 meanest guys that aren't afraid to hit someone and put them out there. Don't even need to worry about size. They just need to be able to be fast, mean, and willing to hit. Opposing teams game plans will obviously be to run it right at Prestonsburg and force them to make stops. This team will need to adopt a lot of what past Pburg teams were good at defensively and that was forcing turnovers and just being flat out mean.

As for the coaching experience, I do think they'll go through theirs ups and downs on the sidelines. I believe that is expected. Hopefully it doesn't cost the team a game, but if it does I hope the staff can admit that to the team and they can all learn from it and move forward. This team and staff will have to mature together as the season goes along.

I believe 6 or 7 wins is on the table with this group and if they can achieve that and host a playoff game then that should be considered a great first season under Hager. I know there's a ton of concern about the OL/DL, but I think it'll work out better than a lot are expecting.

Lastly, if coaches are going around and telling folks that the team will be lucky to win more than 3 games then I find that very frustrating and so should Hager. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but if 3 wins is what you expect, then that makes me question those coaches effort also. Like with all staffs, coaches are going to come and go. I'd like to think they'll weed out the ones who don't share the same vision and expectations.
I would wholeheartedly agree with your assessment IF Logan Hall, Westin Harris and Cole Lafferty were still Blackcats. Without those three guys, I don’t believe the Blackcats will be able to overcome the line situation. 

If Hager had the full roster at the conclusion of last season, he would have been set up for a pretty good season but that’s not the case. I know you have optimism and I really wish I was as optimistic as you but I’m a realist. 

After reading your assessment of the team I’ll upgrade my projections to 3-5 wins. Win the three cupcake games and then split the four toss ups. No way they best BL, Martin, or Breathitt. So a 3-7 or 5-5 season. The thing is 5-5 *could* get them a home playoff game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Concerned_Blackcat's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
Posters, I need to warn you that any negative comments about a single student athlete will not be tolerated.

That hasn't happened yet but it's close.
[-] The following 2 users Like Granny Bear's post:
  • Colonel4Life1999, Fanatic42
Here is what I see happening. The district will be improved, and very well needed. To say P-B don't have any problems is just not true. They do, but they can over come them. They need to beat the other in county team not in their district who keeps taking their players (BL).
I say Martin will take the number 1 spot and the 2 spot is up for grabs between PB, KCC, FC.
FC has some good athletes and some good ones coming in.. To be completely honest, after some years of wathing and following them, Im really not sure a lack of talent or athleticism is the problem with their athletics overall lack of success..
(08-04-2024, 02:59 PM)Blacksmith Wrote: FC has some good athletes and some good ones coming in.. To be completely honest, after some years of wathing and following them,  Im really not sure a lack of talent or athleticism is the problem with their athletics overall lack of success..
Floyd Central has the opportunity to surprise some folks this fall if they can stay healthy. They return their entire offensive line, they have a quick quarterback in Jace Martin, a power back in Colt Shelton, and they have two capable receivers on the outside in Damian Cotton and Wesley Buck. Buck has already proved himself as a threat as a freshman during 7v7's this summer. He can go up and get a ball. Has great hands. Probably one of the more coachable teams Shawn Hager has had in the last 3 or 4 years at FC. They'll be VERY senior heavy though, so if FC is going to make some noise this will have to be the year, IMO.
(08-04-2024, 08:25 PM)No BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(08-04-2024, 02:59 PM)Blacksmith Wrote: FC has some good athletes and some good ones coming in.. To be completely honest, after some years of wathing and following them,  Im really not sure a lack of talent or athleticism is the problem with their athletics overall lack of success..
Floyd Central has the opportunity to surprise some folks this fall if they can stay healthy. They return their entire offensive line, they have a quick quarterback in Jace Martin, a power back in Colt Shelton, and they have two capable receivers on the outside in Damian Cotton and Wesley Buck. Buck has already proved himself as a threat as a freshman during 7v7's this summer. He can go up and get a ball. Has great hands. Probably one of the more coachable teams Shawn Hager has had in the last 3 or 4 years at FC. They'll be VERY senior heavy though, so if FC is going to make some noise this will have to be the year, IMO.
I agree with your assessment. This could be the best team in Floyd Centrals short history. After seeing stuff on them this summer I’m picking them for the district championship.
(08-04-2024, 08:30 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote:
(08-04-2024, 08:25 PM)No BlackcatAlum Wrote:
I agree with your assessment. This could be the best team in Floyd Centrals short history. After seeing stuff on them this summer I’m picking them for the district championship.
It's possible, biggest hurdle I think this group has to overcome is they haven't had the most success in the world at the middle school level or high school and some of that was due to COVID, especially in middle school. So the mindset has to be positive and they really cannot afford to struggle with the non-district a lot if they wanna have any momentum heading into district play. Their schedule has a lot of 50/50 games.

Paintsville H
Leslie Co H
Powell Co A
West Carter A
Betsy Layne H
Pike Central A
Knott Central H (district)
Prestonsburg A (district)
Martin Co H (district)
Shelby Valley A

Honestly, they're favored in probably the Paintsville and Powell games, the rest are 50/50 and I think BL is a loss. None of those games are gimmes. It'll be interesting for FC, that's for sure. Season could go a lot of ways.
(08-04-2024, 08:51 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
It's possible, biggest hurdle I think this group has to overcome is they haven't had the most success in the world at the middle school level or high school and some of that was due to COVID, especially in middle school. So the mindset has to be positive and they really cannot afford to struggle with the non-district a lot if they wanna have any momentum heading into district play. Their schedule has a lot of 50/50 games.

Paintsville H
Leslie Co H
Powell Co A
West Carter A
Betsy Layne H
Pike Central A
Martin Co H (district)
Shelby Valley A

Honestly, they're favored in probably the Paintsville and Powell games, the rest are 50/50 and I think BL is a loss. None of those games are gimmes. It'll be interesting for FC, that's for sure. Season could go a lot of ways.
I think they have a great chance to go 8-2 or 7-3. I think the only games that are really difficult is BL, Martin County for the district title and Shelby valley. 

the rest of that schedule has a lot of issues to figure out with the linemen situation.
(08-04-2024, 09:41 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote:

Paintsville H
Leslie Co H
Powell Co A
West Carter A
Betsy Layne H
Pike Central A
Martin Co H (district)
Shelby Valley A

I think they have a great chance to go 8-2 or 7-3. I think the only games that are really difficult is BL, Martin County for the district title and Shelby valley. 

the rest of that schedule has a lot of issues to figure out with the linemen situation.
I could see 7-3, but I can also see a scenario where they go 3-7 also. 

They have a big line and somewhat have always had a big line, but Floyd Central's linemen are known to get gassed in the 3rd quarter. Which is why they've lost A LOT of close football games over the last few years. If that linemen group is conditioned to last a full 48 mins then they'll be able to make some holes for Martin and Shelton to run through.
(08-04-2024, 11:18 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(08-04-2024, 09:41 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote:
(08-04-2024, 08:25 PM)No BlackcatAlum Wrote: Floyd Central has the opportunity to surprise some folks this fall if they can stay healthy. They return their entire offensive line, they have a quick quarterback in Jace Martin, a power back in Colt Shelton, and they have two capable receivers on the outside in Damian Cotton and Wesley Buck. Buck has already proved himself as a threat as a freshman during 7v7's this summer. He can go up and get a ball. Has great hands. Probably one of the more coachable teams Shawn Hager has had in the last 3 or 4 years at FC. They'll be VERY senior heavy though, so if FC is going to make some noise this will have to be the year, IMO.

Paintsville H
Leslie Co H
Powell Co A
West Carter A
Betsy Layne H
Pike Central A
Martin Co H (district)
Shelby Valley A

I could see 7-3, but I can also see a scenario where they go 3-7 also. 

They have a big line and somewhat have always had a big line, but Floyd Central's linemen are known to get gassed in the 3rd quarter. Which is why they've lost A LOT of close football games over the last few years. If that linemen group is conditioned to last a full 48 mins then they'll be able to make some holes for Martin and Shelton to run through.
definitely a conditioning issue historically. This year there is so much depth they should be able to handle play a whole game with fresh lineman
[-] The following 1 user Likes Concerned_Blackcat's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
(05-15-2024, 09:34 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: https://khsaa.org/2023-approved-final-fo...g-seasons/

Class 2A District 7- Floyd Central, Knott County Central, Martin County, Prestonsburg

For fun who will finish where? Predictions and why?
Martin Co gained a hammer.  The Lafferty Kid that played for Paintsville lead 1A in tackles.  He should be fun to watch as a Cardinal.  He will should help this team achieve some success