Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Hazard 2024
Chandler will do a good job. He's been under two great coaches over the last few year Eddie James and Clay Clevenger.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Footballfan33's post:
  • jetpilot
(07-04-2024, 02:07 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Martin Co getting tons of love in Top 10 for some reason. Would love to see Hazard send them back home with a loss in the opener.

I agree. Martin County getting Jude back and adding the Lafferty kid got hopes high over there. My question is Jude taking back over at QB or somewhere else.
(07-04-2024, 02:36 PM)bac2369 Wrote:
(07-04-2024, 02:07 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Martin Co getting tons of love in Top 10 for some reason. Would love to see Hazard send them back home with a loss in the opener.

I agree. Martin County getting Jude back and adding the Lafferty kid got hopes high over there.  My question is Jude taking back over at QB or somewhere else.
Jude will play outside linebacker and some runningback most likely.
Word on the street is Hazard Varisty got beat by East Carter JV team in 7 vs 7. Any truth to this? If so Hazard is going to have a long year.
Not sure if that's true or not but I do know their stud Gavin Johnson is on vacation. Also 7 on 7 means nothing. Who cares about two hand touch. It's a completely different game when the pads come on
Hazard went 2-2. Lost to Johnson Central and Letcher.

7 on 7 is for quarterback chemistry with his receivers and the defense to defendthe pass.

Quarterbacks were also rotated just like all kids that went. 2-2 without Johnson is solid in my book.
Lost to Johnson centeal who never throws the ball. They scored 1 point against Letcher. With Gavin or without him it’s going to be a long year in the holler
Biggest thing with 7v7 is just competing. It’s also another chance to simply build some chemistry and see someone in a different colored jersey. All of this is very important for teams like Hazard, Raceland, etc, that are filling holes left to graduation. Let’s coaches get some sort of idea of who they have as competitors before team camps start.
(07-15-2024, 05:41 PM)Basketballguru1 Wrote: Lost to Johnson centeal who never throws the ball. They scored 1 point against Letcher. With Gavin or without him it’s going to be a long year in the holler

So when is losing to Johnson Central bad? This gives Johnson Central some reps in throwing the ball because they definitely aren’t gonna do it much in a the regular season. Maybe 1-6 times a games. Hazard lost in that one 3-2 I believe.
Hazard will blow them away watch
[-] The following 1 user Likes Biscuitbaker's post:
  • jetpilot
(07-16-2024, 01:44 PM)Biscuitbaker Wrote:

I hope for you and bac that you are right. Martin Co. is no slouch but they aren't Top 10 either IMO.
(07-16-2024, 10:58 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

I hope for you and bac that you are right. Martin Co. is no slouch but they aren't Top 10 either IMO.

Hey I’m not greedy, I’ll just take a win and hopefully score more than 14 points.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bac2369's post:
  • jetpilot
(07-17-2024, 01:33 AM)bac2369 Wrote:
(07-16-2024, 10:58 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

Hey I’m not greedy, I’ll just take a win and hopefully score more than 14 points.
I would like to see Hazard improve this year and I think they will, but I don't see them improving enough to beat a solid Martin County team. I just read where two of Paintsville's best players transferred to Martin County for this upcoming year. Hazard takes steps in the right direction but it's going to take time. Plus, I feel like improvements must happen this year, if not, that Freshman class could be looking to play elsewhere, especially those boys with Breathitt connections. I have heard they already lost kids to Johnson Central, Breathitt, and Boyle County. They can't afford to lose too many more.
That’s the biggest thing for me, with Hazard. Is gaining some consistency. They have been really up and down since their last title game. Biggest thing I could see from an outside perspective the last few years is a lack of disciplined style of play. I’m not just speaking about penalties either. But fundamental parts of the game, coverage lanes on special teams, staying sideline to sideline and not turning your hips in containment, lineman footwork, etc. these are all things that were second nature for Hazard for a long, long time. The last few years it just seemed like the fundamental approach to the game was lacking. But as an outsider, I can’t say that it’s NOT being coached or if the players just couldn’t or wouldn’t execute it. Things have definitely had a different feel since Dixon left though.
Exciting time tommorow!!

Thumbnail(s)

Cool stuff bac! I think I would be excited about Coach Chandler.
(07-21-2024, 10:32 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Cool stuff bac! I think I would be excited about Coach Chandler.

Just glad the season is near.
It was nice yesterday to get so see some action. I saw lost of energy n fight. Offense was smooth the defense was flying to the ball. It’s also great to see that much energy out of ur coach as well.. The only takeaways I saw was a drop pass or two. But if that keeps up, then it will be the next man up. Quarterback was late getting the ball to a wide open man.
I think Coach Chandler was a home run hire for Hazard. I think he will have them back contending again. he has a great mix of youth and experience that will pan out well going into the future for the program. he always had his boys at Franklin ready for battle come playoffs.
Wished they weren’t to scared to play Perry Central. They need a good in county rivalry game. Hazard is Deadsville. Bring back the Black Gold Bowl and Dogs stop being scared to play.
(07-23-2024, 05:22 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Wished they weren’t to scared to play Perry Central. They need a good in county rivalry game. Hazard is Deadsville. Bring back the Black Gold Bowl and Dogs stop being scared to play.

Yes bring it back!!!! If they can’t make it happen then they atleast orta come together and have something similar to the Pike County Bowl.
  • Bluecat
(07-23-2024, 06:28 PM)bac2369 Wrote:
(07-23-2024, 05:22 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Wished they weren’t to scared to play Perry Central.  They need a good in county rivalry game.  Hazard is Deadsville.  Bring back the Black Gold Bowl and Dogs stop being scared to play.

Yes bring it back!!!! If they can’t make it happen then they atleast orta come together and have something similar to the Pike County Bowl.
I don't think either team is scared to play each other. It is the those in administration that will not allow them to play each other. And I agree with bad they should at least have a Black Gold Bowl where each team has game like the Pike County Bowl.
(07-23-2024, 06:28 PM)bac2369 Wrote:
(07-23-2024, 05:22 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Wished they weren’t to scared to play Perry Central.  They need a good in county rivalry game.  Hazard is Deadsville.  Bring back the Black Gold Bowl and Dogs stop being scared to play.

Only way this game ever gets played again is in an empty stadium and the only way you could watch it is stream it. lol
I don't know if he has changed his mind but Coach Dixon said he didn't want to play Hazard when he first went to Perry. At the time I think he didn't want to play against the players he had been coaching. All of those players are now gone so he may have a different mind set. This next schedule cycle Coach Chandler may want to soften the schedule as he is a rebuild phase but Hazard previously hasn't been afraid to play anybody, look at their schedule through the years.
Only thing I hate for Chandler and this Hazard program for year 1 is they’ve inherited arguably one of the toughest schedules in the mountains.

Hopefully the Hazard folks are patient with their coach and players in year 1.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Bluecat
Truth. Hazard could be a decent 1A team and only find 3 or 4 wins tops on that schedule.
I love to see Hazard be good again so bac won’t get no more gray hair but they have a tough schedule but not no where the toughest in 1A if you take a look at Pikeville and Raceland’s schedule I bet you would agree but with their youth it’s definitely going to be tough on them but hope them nothing but the best and hopefully I get to see bac again. Pikeville and Raceland could have a bad looking record in the first so many games
(07-24-2024, 06:30 PM)Patriot1 Wrote: I love to see Hazard be good again so bac won’t get no more gray hair but they have a tough schedule but not no where the toughest in 1A if you take a look at Pikeville and Raceland’s schedule I bet you would agree but with their youth it’s definitely going to be tough on them but hope them nothing but the best and hopefully I get to see bac again. Pikeville and Raceland could have a bad looking record in the first so many games

lol. If I had hair I’m sure it have some grey in it that’s for sure. The 3 teams mentioned definitely have the hardest schedules in Class 1A. Yes hopefully get to see u in Pikeville later on in the season. Hazard just needs to stay healthy. I think they have a good mix of upper class men with freshmen and sophomore. Hazard is still a young team though.
  • Patriot1
Every PCC coach I have spoken to said Hazard had no backbone and would not play. Said they been using the administrative excuse for years.
(07-25-2024, 08:30 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: Every PCC coach I have spoken to said Hazard had no backbone and would not play.  Said they been using the administrative excuse for years.
If anyone would know it would be you. God knows you suck on coach Dixon enough to get any information you’d want out of him.