Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
60 Days Til Football ... 42 Year Drought for My Hounds... Will This Be the Year ???
(07-01-2024, 10:30 PM)Bull got out! Wrote:
(07-01-2024, 09:31 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: What if he goes 8-2 regular season with a third round loss to Cov Cath or JC?

You can throw Ashland in that mix because they should be right there this year. To me, the regular season determines a lot when it comes to the 3rd round. If Corbin wins out other than Frederick Douglass then they will be playing at home Round 3 opposite of Boyle. But if Corbin has some losses other than FD, then Corbin will be on the road. Question is to where. Boyle, Covington Catholic or Johnson Central or Ashland. Lots of possibilities. Offensively, Corbin is as good as any of the top 4 other than Boyle. Defense is what I want to see how they approach the season. That will determine alot.

I'm a big Corbin fan this year after Week 1 but how are they as good as last year on offense Bull?
You return a Senior QB for one thing. When a team returns a QB like Elam, that team can spread you out defensively and keep in mind. Elam can run too. So he has wheels. Skills will be fine. The line lost some beef but all the line has to do is hold up the defense just enough for Elam to connect. Game 1 will tell the story real quick. If I was Pikeville, I’d be looking at my LCA game defense last year and get ready to do that all over again. Corbin doesn’t have a Hensley but they got everything else. If I was Corbin. I’d be watching that game as well and seeing what Pikeville did defensively and look for the open pockets in the defense that LCA may or may not of utilized.
I agree with Bull on most things. I’d say 99%. I agree on Elam. But Corbin lost a lot on O last year. RB for 1. OL for 2. And a couple big play recievers. They do have Estep returning that will be their best all around athlete. I just don’t see them being anywhere as close as good offensively. Ans the question remains, will the new guy get the ball in space to the guys that can make plays. Or, will he be 70/30 run.

Defensively. They aren’t gonna compare at all to last year. But then again, a different system may play to their strength with the given size and ability.

So if they aren’t a 40 point scoring machine every big game that record may be 6-4 or 5-5. Just so many unknowns.
[-] The following 2 users Like HighViz's post:
  • Bull got out!, Cowboy42
(07-02-2024, 12:04 PM)HighViz Wrote: I agree with Bull on most things.  I’d say 99%.  I agree on Elam.    But Corbin lost a lot on O last year.  RB for 1. OL for 2. And a couple big play recievers. They do have Estep returning that will be their best all around athlete.    I just don’t see them being anywhere as close as good offensively.    Ans the question remains, will the new guy get the ball in space to the guys that can make plays.  Or, will he be 70/30 run. 

Defensively.  They aren’t gonna compare at all to last year.  But then again, a different system may play to their strength with the given size and ability.

So if they aren’t a 40 point scoring machine every big game that record may be 6-4 or 5-5.  Just so many unknowns.

Elam is calling the O this year and Mouser and Guy are Co-DC’s.
(07-01-2024, 10:27 PM)HighViz Wrote:
(07-01-2024, 09:57 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Hearing corbin took a big blow today.
Someone spill the beans…..

I’m going to assume he means Brent Jackson taking a principal job which means he likely wont be the middle school HS coach anymore.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Waitaminute's post:
  • 64SUR
I understand that. But will Salmons direct him to run what He wants. Or will he give let Elam have control!? If he lets Elam call, then I suspect a more points on the scoreboard and tossing the ball around.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HighViz's post:
  • Bull got out!
(07-02-2024, 03:26 PM)HighViz Wrote: I understand that.  But will Salmons direct him to run what He wants.  Or will he give let Elam have control!? If he lets Elam call, then I suspect a more points on the scoreboard and tossing the ball around.

That’s why I say the first game against Pikeville will tell all. Pikeville ain’t coming to Corbin to play and get beat. They are looking to leave with a win. Game 1 will tell what kind of defense Corbin is calling and will tell if Corbin plans on running the ball or passing the ball. I vote unleash the Beast! Let Elam throw for 5000 yards this season and break scoreboards. Pikeville ain’t playing around. But if Corbin passes, Pikeville better get some boys ready to see machine gun Nelly zipping that ball around the field. Not like LCA does. But threading the needle on the record.
There is going to be no where in the stratosphere of the line depth we’ve had the past several years, while I think skill wise we’ll be fine there’s gonna have to be some kids play both ways….The jury’s out right now but Greer did NO ONE especially Salmons any favors by waiting till the last minute to step aside….
[-] The following 2 users Like TD Hounds's post:
  • BEChargers, Cowboy42
52 cards in a deck, 52 weeks in a year, AND ... 52 days until FOOTBALL at Campbell Field !!!

Coach Luke and Company is gonna shake things up this season in C-Town.  

The Cars, from 1982, the year the Hounds last hoisted a state championship trophy:

(07-02-2024, 11:53 PM)TD Hounds Wrote: There is going to be no where in the stratosphere of the line depth we’ve had the past several years, while I think skill wise we’ll be fine there’s gonna have to be some kids play both ways….The jury’s out right now but Greer did NO ONE especially Salmons any favors by waiting till the last minute to step aside….

Do you think Greer was planning on coming back and then was persuaded by something or someone to go ahead and get out?  If not, why would he wait that long?
(07-03-2024, 11:39 PM)BEChargers Wrote:
(07-02-2024, 11:53 PM)TD Hounds Wrote: There is going to be no where in the stratosphere of the line depth we’ve had the past several years, while I think skill wise we’ll be fine there’s gonna have to be some kids play both ways….The jury’s out right now but Greer did NO ONE especially Salmons any favors by waiting till the last minute to step aside….

Do you think Greer was planning on coming back and then was persuaded by something or someone to go ahead and get out?  If not, why would he wait that long?

Take it from Old School. He knew exactly what he was doing. He knew he was leaving but timed it so that it would difficult to find an big name outside  replacement.

51 days and counting until Corbin and Pikeville go at it in the Cumberland Falls Pigskin Classic.  I think there will be more than 51 points scored in this one.

One of my favorite female singers  back in the championship season of 1982 was Melissa Manchester. Remember her? You should hear how she talks about you. She's in love with ya, boy...

Thumbnail(s)

No I do not, I think he knew that he would shoulder some losses this year and the record, more so than a championship, was always most important….He waited so long because he knew that Haddix wasn’t a turd like him and if there was any chance at all he might consider coming back he wouldn’t leave a bunch of kids two months before football season…..
[-] The following 2 users Like TD Hounds's post:
  • Cowboy42, Old School Hound

We have reached  50  days until Corbin-Pikeville kicks off Corbin's 102nd football season at Campbell Field.

In 1976, Corbin won the state AA title over Mayfield at Commonwealth Stadium. From '76 to '82 , Corbin won three state titles and was state runner-up once.

In that Bicentennial year of 1976, Thin Lizzy released this classic tune.   I'm hoping the Boys of Corbin are back in town this year to challenge for their first title since '82 .

[Image: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/image...DSUT9KjQ&s]     DAYS  UNTIL FOOTBALL ACTION!!!

Gonna be a heated affair!!!

Heat of the Moment  from 1982:

(07-04-2024, 01:06 PM)TD Hounds Wrote:

No I do not, I think he knew that he would shoulder some losses this year and the record, more so than a championship, was always most important….He waited so long because he knew that Haddix wasn’t a turd like him and if there was any chance at all he might consider coming back he wouldn’t leave a bunch of kids two months before football season…..
100 percent correct and spot on…When Mills took the KC job everyone should have known it was gonna happen..I distinctly remember TD Hounds calling it just as it happened six months ago..I feel pretty good about the skill players but some will have to play both ways to win..Not sure about the line situation as Corbin graduated a ton.. The line has been dominate over past five years but unless some transfers rolled in Hatfield and Reeder play both sides of the ball in my opinion…All roads lead to Boyle County and I’m afraid this is the best team Haddix has ever put on the field and that don’t bode well for rest of 4A.. Any line transfer or big time development over the spring and summer?
[Image: https://image.spreadshirtmedia.com/image...-shirt.jpg]

Less than 7 weeks remaining until football season. Can you believe it?   Speaking of 47...  forty-seven years ago , Corbin finished the season as state runner-up to Mayfield. The Cards squeaked by the Hounds 14-13 at Hanger Field in Richmond, as Corbin's Roy Taylor was stopped just short of the goal line on a two-point conversion to preserve Mayfield's one-pt. win. It was their first state title. Btw, the call was kinda controversial. Ronnie Watkins had been running out of his mind all day for the Hounds. Everybody in Richmond that day thought #23 was gonna get the ball. However, Archie Powers has other ideas. Freshman fullback Roy Taylor got the ball and was stopped about 6 inches from glory.

From the way back archives, here's a big run by Jeff Jackson that put Mayfield ahead in the third quarter.

https://fb.watch/taPyp3PQXW/
(07-07-2024, 07:30 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: [Image: https://image.spreadshirtmedia.com/image...-shirt.jpg]

Less than 7 weeks remaining until football season. Can you believe it?   Speaking of 47...  forty-seven years ago , Corbin finished the season as state runner-up to Mayfield. The Cards squeaked by the Hounds 14-13 at Hanger Field in Richmond, as Corbin's Roy Taylor was stopped just short of the goal line on a two-point conversion to preserve Mayfield's one-pt. win. It was their first state title. Btw, the call was kinda controversial. Ronnie Watkins had been running out of his mind all day for the Hounds. Everybody in Richmond that day  thought #23 was gonna get the ball. However, Archie Powers has other ideas. Freshman fullback Roy Taylor got the ball and was stopped about 6 inches from glory.

From the way back archives, here's a big run by Jeff Jackson that put Mayfield ahead in the third quarter.

OSH WHY did the Fuson kid transfer to Bell County? He was a stud on the D-Line and one of strongest kids in the fieldhouse im told…
(07-07-2024, 07:30 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: [Image: https://image.spreadshirtmedia.com/image...-shirt.jpg]

Less than 7 weeks remaining until football season. Can you believe it?   Speaking of 47...  forty-seven years ago , Corbin finished the season as state runner-up to Mayfield. The Cards squeaked by the Hounds 14-13 at Hanger Field in Richmond, as Corbin's Roy Taylor was stopped just short of the goal line on a two-point conversion to preserve Mayfield's one-pt. win. It was their first state title. Btw, the call was kinda controversial. Ronnie Watkins had been running out of his mind all day for the Hounds. Everybody in Richmond that day  thought #23 was gonna get the ball. However, Archie Powers has other ideas. Freshman fullback Roy Taylor got the ball and was stopped about 6 inches from glory.

1977 Hounds were one of the best teams I saw on the field.  Very strong.  Very strong.
(07-08-2024, 10:32 AM)Hatz Wrote:

1977 Hounds were one of the best teams I saw on the field.  Very strong.  Very strong.
The 2022 Hounds would have beat the 1977 Hounds 10 out of 10 attempts and the score wouldn’t be close in either game..The 2021 Hounds would have beat the 1977 Hounds also 10 out of 10 attempts also..The most talented Corbin Football teams ever in program history are 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. Yes I said what I said, Greer had the most talented players in Redhound history and got one state Runnerup…ironic that Justin Haddix QB at Breathitt County beats Corbin his senior year at State Championship 52-0, then goes on to win four state championships in a row as a Head Coach at Boyle County. No wonder Steve Jewell didn’t care for Haddix because Haddix got a ring beating Corbin in state championship against Jewell. Then nearly 20 years later Corbin fires Steve Jewell and hires Haddix to replace him..Boyle goes undefeated this season and wins five state championships in a row.. someone listening to the wrong people in my opinion.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cowboy42's post:
  • HighViz
Get ready for a watered down schedule from luke and losing in the regional final by a decent team by 60 points. LAWRENCE COUNTY WAS STACKED IN 2010. BUT BELL COUNTY HAD THE EDGE
Would anyone beg to differ with Cowboy42 that the '77 Hounds were not as good as any Corbin team in the 2020's thus far??? I know there are some folks , including Old School , that are chomping at the bit to knock down the Cowboy's door and raise a little civil dissent.
OSH. The best players to ever wear a maroon jersey was the 2023 team. For you and others to think otherwise is total nonsense.
(07-08-2024, 11:47 AM)Senters_93 Wrote: Get ready for a watered down schedule from luke and losing in the regional final by a decent team by 60 points. LAWRENCE COUNTY WAS STACKED IN 2010. BUT BELL COUNTY HAD THE EDGE

The '08, '09, and '10 Bell County teams were really good !!
(07-09-2024, 09:04 PM)HighViz Wrote: OSH.    The best players to ever wear a maroon jersey was the 2023 team.  For you and others to think otherwise is total nonsense.

Archie Powers is somewhere laughing his @ss off at you. lol
(07-09-2024, 09:04 PM)HighViz Wrote: OSH.    The best players to ever wear a maroon jersey was the 2023 team.  For you and others to think otherwise is total nonsense.

Is this a play on words type riddle because you said maroon jersey?

Are you being for real or just trolling?
Both of you tell me 2 players that were better than the twins. I’ll wait. And didn’t the twins wear maroon one game?
(07-09-2024, 10:38 PM)HighViz Wrote: Both of you tell me 2 players that were better than the twins. I’ll wait.    And didn’t the twins wear maroon one game?

wow, you are are serious. Now I can only conclude that you are either very young or have had a brain injury. You
need to look no further than the Corbin Comet to disprove your statement. You will be hard pressed when it is all said and done to combine the accomplishments of the entire 2023 team to equal those of the career of Bird.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fansville's post:
  • Hatz
Imagine a corbinite calling another corbinite crazy. We are all crazy and the Laughing stock of this message board. Some think we are gonna win a championship every fall. I don’t. We are the best. You can’t stop us banter all year long! In the spring, in the summer, in the fall and winter. All 4 seasons! It’s been over 40 years and all we have to show for it is about 10 old heads running the circus that we blame every December. We put for sale signs in coaches yards, multiple coaches. We run for school board to get things right and then draft another contract for the snake that bites us. We spend 10s of millions on a field, facilities and a visitor side bleachers but we sit in 60 year old concrete bleachers that leak into the locker rooms below. That don’t have toilets and urinals that work. We build a concession stand. We build endzone seating for the varsity club. We build a scoreboard but leave the old one and the same frame of a picture for the visitor new bleachers to see. Then in January suddenly we drink the koolaid and we are back. Championship teams! We are the best! I say let’s quit the big talk and win some games In November, then the first weekend in December.

I’m not young and dumb. I’ve been around since the early 70s. I speak facts the old Corbin folk don’t like is all.

I’m just different I guess. I have no blinders on and call it how it really is and not how the “old hounds” want the perception to be. Also don’t have my hand in the pot and offering plate. Gotta look from the outside of the box sometimes. Those twins were elite. They are/were in the best 150-200 kids in the nation. Not KY. Most likely will be on a NFL team in 2-3 years. Also, I said tell me 2 kids. You named 1. Those 2 kids are 2 of the best to dawn a maroon uniform on Campbell field. Also, the stain of 2 dodge chargers will forever be associated with them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HighViz's post:
  • Hatz
I don’t know about all the rest of that rant but you said the twins were the best. I simply showed you they were not and I stand by my statement that the twins and the rest of the 2023 team all combined likely won’t have the accomplishments of that 1 person.

As for you question of 2, how about there are 3 members of the Bird family alone that most definitely are better at this point. Hype alone doesn’t make one an all time great, those boys are great players but they have a lot of work to do before they make it to the top. With that said, I wouldn’t be surprised a bit if they do go on to become some of the best to ever wear a Corbin uniform but they are just not there yet.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fansville's post:
  • Hatz
(07-09-2024, 10:38 PM)HighViz Wrote: Both of you tell me 2 players that were better than the twins. I’ll wait.    And didn’t the twins wear maroon one game?

My classmate, RC Thomas,  was better than both of the Smith twins combined. He would have made mince meat out of both of them, literally.  And Riddle Thomas(RC) was just one of a number of monsters on that team.  Rusty Onkst , John Francioni are two more. The whole defense were monsters.  The 2020's teams were soft compared to those '76 and '77 Corbin teams.  Greer's teams would have been dominated by the Powers' teams.