Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
60 Days Til Football ... 42 Year Drought for My Hounds... Will This Be the Year ???
We are exactly 60 days from the start of the regular season. For the first time in four years the Hounds will begin the season under a new head coach. Luke Salmons takes over for Tommy Greer, who posted a 46-5 record over his four seasons at the helm of the Hounds. Salmons, who had a successful tenure at Cabell Midland in West Virginia, will look to lead the Hounds to their first title in 42  years. That's a long, long time. 

Corbin last won a state title in 1982. Tommy Greer was a member of that state championship team. Old School was a young college student.  The Gipper was in the White House. Men at Work was being played on the radio. There was no internet yet. 

Will this be the year Corbin breaks through?  Most people have the Hounds anywhere from third to sixth among the 4A contenders? Does Salmons, the old Thundering Herd offensive lineman,  have some magic in his bag of tricks?  Will Corbin meet Boyle again deep in the playoffs and will they get them at Campbell Field this year? Lots of questions, few answers at this point. 

One thing that's not in question, 42 years is at least a half a lifetime. That's longer than many of our members have been alive. Along with some Corbin discussion , I'll remind you over the next 60 days ,  with the help of song,   just how long 42 years is. Think of it this way. If you count back 42 years from the last Redhound state title, you arrive at the year 1940.   Count forward 42 years from today and you arrive at the year 2066.  It's time to put an end to this madness!!!!   Will Salmons be the guy to do it?

I'll start with a long distance dedication to my old childhood chum, Tommy" Tom Turkey" Greer.  This song debuted in 1982.  It's a perfect dedication to ol' Tom . More coming over the next 60 days. I'll be counting down the days in this thread.  60 days to go!!!

Good luck in your post-Corbin life, Tom : 

No.
Not this year….sorry old school I feel your pain
I sure hope so. Im not a corbin guy even though I usually pull for them now a days. But you corbin fans deserve it. I favor Boyle of course but i dont think your as far behind them as some think. Especially if this new coach is solid.
5 9  days  until my Hounds open up a can of whip ass on the Pikeville Panthers.

It was 1982,  the Dazz Band released their Grammy-winning hit song, "Let it Whip." As a young college student at EKU, it was one of my favorite songs to dance to.  I never missed American Bandstand and Soul Train on Saturday afternoons. GOOD TIMES!!!

1982 was a great year. The Hounds won the AA state title and the EKU Colonels won the 1-AA National Championship over Delaware  , led by Corbin natives, Steve Bird and Roy Kidd. It was a great time to be in Richmond. Bull got out was a toddler making poo and eating crayons in '82.  Justin Haddix was not yet a gleam in his mother's eye. He had yet to be born in '82. 

Let it Whip, Coach Salmons. Let's go 10-0 and whip those Rebels in Round three at Campbell Field. It can happen !!!!

(06-25-2024, 06:24 AM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: Not this year….sorry old school I feel your pain

[Image: https://media1.tenor.com/m/3AuCnWd-JP8AA...o-gain.gif]
no

Rebels get #13 and Haddix, former coach at Corbin, gets his fifth in a row !
[-] The following 1 user Likes BEChargers's post:
  • bcpc
Probably Not.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jack Lambert's post:
  • BEChargers
5 8   days until Corbin-Pikeville kick off the Luke Salmons era.  Hearing that the two Cabell-Midland kids, Meadors and Salmons are gonna be in the Hounds defensive backfield. Two great athletes to have back there.

This one goes out to the entire Corbin team. People are doubting you guys. But not Old School. I believe you can have anything you desire, including a state championship.   Dream it, believe it , manifest it!!!  It can happen!!! You can do magic, boys!!!

From the last championship year, 1982 :

A 1980 song comes to mind. Guess which one. Artist was Queen.
(06-26-2024, 11:26 PM)With A Cause Wrote: A 1980 song comes to mind.  Guess which one.  Artist was Queen.

"Fat Bottomed Girls" ???
(06-26-2024, 11:26 PM)With A Cause Wrote: A 1980 song comes to mind.  Guess which one.  Artist was Queen.

"AOBTD"  ....  don't try to school Old School on Old School music.  Can't be done.   Smile

After Coach Luke's boys school Pikeville in the opener. The band plays:

Here's what you'll be singing from 1982 facing Pikeville

[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • Hatz, Slic Ric
Actually, I was thinking of the first track of the album "Play the Game". If you think your song is more fitting, then who am I to question you.
Here what I think Corbin be singing when play Pikeville!!! Take easy on me!! By Little River Band from 1982. Lol

https://youtu.be/hYRw32rRreU?si=4eKXYJe03F9kL4pg
    57 days to go until the CFPC at Campbell Field.

These Hounds are Hungry like Wolves!!!! 

As for Old School... Well , he smells like he sounds.

From 1982:

[Image: https://www.shutterstock.com/image-illus...341782.jpg]

I hear Coach Luke is whipping these guys into shape. As an old lineman, Coach loves to play a very, very physical brand of football.

He's gonna have his Hounds getting physical.   ONJ  in '82 (RIP)  : 

Sorry old school but No….

(06-27-2024, 12:14 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Here's what you'll be singing from 1982 facing Pikeville

:D
Haddix may not have been born in 82 but they were singing songs about him already. Released in 82’ remastered later on.

Baby be mine. Michael Jackson. Sung by Paul Taylor and the alley cats.

Then “beat it” was also released. Use your imagination there OSH. Think Haddix has sung this song the last 5 years to Cox and Tom Turkey though.

“Chain gang” was also released in 82. Use your imagination here as well OSH.

Still waiting on this portal to hit! I’m at 3-4 losses and a massacre right now unless they gat a couple blue chips in chargers
Here’s a question OSH.

What’s considered good year for first year for Salmons? Who’s he need to beat? How far do they need to make it?
(06-30-2024, 07:47 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: Here’s a question OSH.

What’s considered good year for first year for Salmons? Who’s he need to beat? How far do they need to make it?

Pikeville

Realistically, I think a good first year is 7-3 given then difficult schedule and huge losses to graduation.

A great first year is 8-2 and anything above that should be celebrated from the roof tops that the Redhounds found a coach who can have them as a state title contender for the foreseeable future, just not in 2024.

Bad first year is 6-4, coach is on the hot seat and Haddix dreams start happening again around the town.

A nightmare of a year is 5-5 and the new ball coach may well get fired/ran out of town after year 1 with witch hunts for Dave Cox and company.
[-] The following 3 users Like fansville's post:
  • HighViz, jetpilot, Waitaminute

Good year according to me?  According to High Viz? Bull?  Those might be three different answers.  I think a  9-1 or 8-2 regular season and reaching the state semifinal would be a very successful first season.  Even a round three loss to Boyle , which would be expected by most,   wouldn't really marginalize a successful first season in Corbin for Salmons. What he really needs to avoid is a three or four loss season and an early playoff exit.  If Corbin loses 3 or 4 in the reg. season and then  exits the postseason early, then Haddix will be looking at houses again in Corbin come January. 

I foresee a 8-2 or 9-1 regular season , followed by a 2-1 or 3-1 postseason. I'd deem that successful for year 1 , after having sustained large graduation losses after last season.

GO SALMONS !!!  GO HOUNDS!!!

(06-30-2024, 10:16 PM)plantmanky Wrote:

Pikeville

I like your long, well thought out responses.
In fairness to Corbin and Salmons, going through a coaching change is not easy. He comes into a situation that no matter if any coaching changes happened or not, the games that are possible losses and 50/50 stays the same. I think he just needs to have fun and put his system in and hopefully everyone buys in for him. Corbin comes into the season with a very good Senior QB that I rank as top 3 in Kentucky. That alone puts Corbin in a good position. I hope Corbin unleashes that arm and try’s to break the scoreboards. Then it could be a better season than expected. I can give up points, as long as I outscore my opponents. Corbin can definitely put points on the board. Should be able to anyways. If somehow Corbin and Boyle meets in the finals, then that may be a heck of a first year. Covington Catholic may not have the top RPI this year. Should be a fun year come November.
53 days until Corbin-Pikeville.

[Image: https://www.53.com/content/dam/fifth-thi...shield.png]

Hounds gonna light up that scoreboard.  You can bank on it!!!

Salmons like to pile up the running yards but when you have an Elam you have to let to those rockets fly, too.

From 1982  :

What if he goes 8-2 regular season with a third round loss to Cov Cath or JC?
Hearing corbin took a big blow today.
(07-01-2024, 09:57 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Hearing corbin took a big blow today.
Someone spill the beans…..
(07-01-2024, 09:31 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: What if he goes 8-2 regular season with a third round loss to Cov Cath or JC?

You can throw Ashland in that mix because they should be right there this year. To me, the regular season determines a lot when it comes to the 3rd round. If Corbin wins out other than Frederick Douglass then they will be playing at home Round 3 opposite of Boyle. But if Corbin has some losses other than FD, then Corbin will be on the road. Question is to where. Boyle, Covington Catholic or Johnson Central or Ashland. Lots of possibilities. Offensively, Corbin is as good as any of the top 4 other than Boyle. Defense is what I want to see how they approach the season. That will determine alot.