Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Floyd Central, Knott County Central, Martin County, Prestonsburg
(06-06-2024, 10:05 AM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: I have to disagree with you on this. If Laferty leaves, it is a major blow to an already inexperienced line. If any of those freshman are relied on as starters, we are in trouble. These boys are going to be very good lineman in time, but to say the fall off wouldn't be that much is insane. I don't have an issue with getting their feet wet by getting reps in back up roles, but to expect them to step in and hold their own as starters is crazy. You may get by with it when you play the likes of Knott, Lewis, and East Ridge, but when you are playing solid football teams it's not an idle situation to be in. If Laferty leaves, then you play the next man up, I get that but don't sugarcoat things and act like these young kids are going to step in and not miss a beat. There is nothing more I would rather see than these freshman to come in and be studs, but I just don't that's realistic at this time. I hope I am wrong for the sake of the team, if they are put in this situation.
I never said half of what you said I did. 

Karston Johnson was going to start whether Laferty stayed or not. Kid is a great wrestler, he’s strong, good feet, and he’s played football his entire life. Laferty has only played football for 3 years now. Does that mean he’s better? No. Absolutely not. It’s not what I’m saying, but I do believe that kid can potentially hold his own against most of the teams on our schedule. I think Cayden Reynolds can potentially step up and hold his own also. 

Losing Laferty hurts mostly on the defensive line. That’s going to be my biggest concern this upcoming season.
(06-06-2024, 11:46 AM)PaleRider22 Wrote:
(06-05-2024, 11:33 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I might be bias, but I don’t see Prestonsburg falling off that much if Laferty leaves. Don’t get me wrong, it’ll hurt. I don’t want to lose him, but it gives someone else an opportunity to step in, gain experience, and learn on the fly. May take a few weeks during the season to get some of the younger guys feet wet and comfortable on the line but it’ll pay off down the road. I just think Elliott, Harris, and Holbrook are too talented for Prestonsburg and you can lean on those guys to make big plays against really anyone on the schedule.
I’m going to have to say from what I saw on the field in the BL games Lafferty struggled. He simply could not get around that big front of the BL team. He was lined up on the right guard Nick Thacker most of the game. From what I saw the experience and size of Thacker wore him out. Even with Thacker pulling 40% of the plays right tackle Hamilton was making him know about it too.
While Cole is a brute, I’m pretty certain last season was his second year ever playing football. He had his ups and downs last season, but to be fair he never left the field. He was pulling on offense, Bull rushing on defense, and he even played special teams. Literally never come off the field. He always went up against the other teams best linemen also. So between inexperience and exhaustion, mistakes happened. Completely understandable in his situation.
Anyone know Knott's schedule? This is what I have.

8/23
8/30
9/6
9/13 A Betsy Layne
9/20 A Phelps
9/27
10/4 A Floyd Central
10/11
10/18 A Martin County
10/25 H Prestonsburg
11/1
(06-10-2024, 06:36 AM)jgreenlhc Wrote: Anyone know Knott's schedule?  This is what I have.

8/23
8/30
9/6
9/13  A  Betsy Layne
9/20  A  Phelps
9/27
10/4  A Floyd Central
10/11 
10/18  A  Martin County
10/25  H  Prestonsburg
11/1

Jenkins (H)
Jackson Co (H)
Lynn Camp (H)
Betsy Layne (A)
Phelps (A) 
Morgan Co (H)
Floyd Cent (A)
Martin Co (A)
Prestonsburg (H)
East Ridge (A)

I don't know for sure but I think if any of them were to change it would most likely be at least one (or some combination) of these teams, Jackson Co, Lynn Camp and or Phelps due to contracts ending. The others should be locked in for 2024.

Location of the first several Home games depends on if the new field is ready in time.
Any news going on in the district?

As far as the Blackcats go. Still haven’t heard confirmation on Cole Lafferty transferring. Did hear about coaches arguing in the weight room while me trying to teach the kids how to do a power clean. Hope they’re fired up and ready to play hard. August is just around the corner. I did have a conversation with one of the coaches on staff. He said it was going to be his one and only year assisting based on how things were going. Hope to hear better reports as we move on toward the season
I heard Lafferty told the team Friday he was transferring to Betsy Layne. I heard he didn’t want to go, but he had no choice!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blackcat 4 Life's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
Sounds like it's already a mess over there and you wont see Scott on the field for the blackcats until sometime after week 8 as he still isn't eligible.
I'm not sure if Cole Laferty has enrolled at Betsy Layne yet, but it's inevitable at this point. He wants to play baseball and it sounds like Betsy Layne is going to hire his dad as their baseball coach, so that'll guarantee his eligibility. He'll certainly be missed. Great kid that's very likable. I wish him nothing but success.

Obviously this opens up a big hole on both sides of the ball. Currently, the offensive line and defensive line will be made up of all underclassmen. Junior Daniel Adams has to be the guy to step up and take control of that room and lead these younger linemen. I think you have two other guys that I'm confident in to handle their own out there and that's sophomore Noah Price and freshman Karston Johnson. Outside of those 3 dudes, this OL/DL is questionable. There's about 4 or 5 guys that'll battle and whoever the 2 or 3 are that can step up and prove their value will play varsity minutes. I'm excited to see which of those guys really want it.
I received news from one of the coaches that there’s rumblings of more transfers coming. Both names I heard are linemen  mentioned above in Alums post.
If they don't want to be a blackcat let them go. That's the problem. These parents feel entitled. I'm guessing they don't think their kids have to compete for a starting job
(06-20-2024, 05:58 PM)TE#82 Wrote: If they don't want to be a blackcat let them go. That's the problem. These parents feel entitled. I'm guessing they don't think their kids have to compete for a starting job
So far every kid who has transferred it are rumored to transfer are bonafide starters.
(06-20-2024, 06:12 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote:
(06-20-2024, 05:58 PM)TE#82 Wrote: If they don't want to be a blackcat let them go. That's the problem. These parents feel entitled. I'm guessing they don't think their kids have to compete for a starting job
So far every kid who has transferred it are rumored to transfer are bonafide starters.
Like I said if these parents and kids wanted to better and compete for blackcat football they would have stayed. Sounds like pburg needed to trim the fat anyways. Should be better for the long run
(06-20-2024, 07:55 PM)TE#82 Wrote:
Like I said if these parents and kids wanted to better and compete for blackcat football they would have stayed. Sounds like pburg needed to trim the fat anyways. Should be better for the long run
Just like Pburg was better off when Paintsville won a state championship with all those kids who left. Or when Cody Raines was a key contributor for pikeville when brewer took over. Or now when the leader of the team and best linemen goes to the county rival who beat us for the first time in 30+ years,
(06-20-2024, 09:34 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote:
Just like Pburg was better off when Paintsville won a state championship with all those kids who left. Or when Cody Raines was a key contributor for pikeville when brewer took over. Or now when the leader of the team and best linemen goes to the county rival who beat us for the first time in 30+ 
As far as this season goes, the only one that matters at this current moment, the two that have transferred had previously been to every school in two counties. With that being said, Hager is in a spot to be successful. He knows the game, unlike some people spewing misinformation on this thread. If you claim to know so much, why aren’t you on the staff with this wealth of knowledge that you have? 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Not John D.'s post:
  • BlackcatAlum
(06-20-2024, 11:03 AM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote: I received news from one of the coaches that there’s rumblings of more transfers coming. Both names I heard are linemen  mentioned above in Alums post.
Extremely doubtful
(06-20-2024, 10:01 PM)Not John D. Wrote:
Just like Pburg was better off when Paintsville won a state championship with all those kids who left. Or when Cody Raines was a key contributor for pikeville when brewer took over. Or now when the leader of the team and best linemen goes to the county rival who beat us for the first time in 30+ 
As far as this season goes, the only one that matters at this current moment, the two that have transferred had previously been to every school in two counties. With that being said, Hager is in a spot to be successful. He knows the game, unlike some people spewing misinformation on this thread. If you claim to know so much, why aren’t you on the staff with this wealth of knowledge that you have? 
I’ve forgotten more football than Wesley Hager knows and they’re afraid to let me in because I’ll out shine all those dummies on the side lines.
(06-20-2024, 10:45 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote:
(06-20-2024, 06:12 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote: So far every kid who has transferred it are rumored to transfer are bonafide starters.
I’ve forgotten more football than Wesley Hager knows and they’re afraid to let me in because I’ll out shine all those dummies on the side lines.
If that were the case you would still be there…..
(06-20-2024, 11:02 PM)Not John D. Wrote:
(06-20-2024, 07:55 PM)TE#82 Wrote: Like I said if these parents and kids wanted to better and compete for blackcat football they would have stayed. Sounds like pburg needed to trim the fat anyways. Should be better for the long run
If that were the case you would still be there…..  K.W
Bold prediction: Blackcats finish 2-8 or worse due to the transfers being ran off and the lack of football knowledge on staff.
(06-20-2024, 11:24 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote:
(06-20-2024, 09:34 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote: Just like Pburg was better off when Paintsville won a state championship with all those kids who left. Or when Cody Raines was a key contributor for pikeville when brewer took over. Or now when the leader of the team and best linemen goes to the county rival who beat us for the first time in 30+ 
Bold prediction: Blackcats finish 2-8 or worse due to the transfers being ran off and the lack of football knowledge on staff.
What are u talking about. Who is running these kids off. It's parents like u that tell ur kids that ur transferring them because u don't want them to compete and earn their starting positions. I know wesley ain't running no kids off.
Hager isn't running anyone off. Logan Hall left last year after the season, and Lafferty was pretty much forced to leave due to his father taking the baseball coaching position at Betsy Layne. The only kid that left to my knowledge that was unhappy was Westin Harris and he has been to three different schools in four years. If anything, Hager is setting the tone for future success. They will take their lumps this year but for the longevity of the program looks to be heading in the right direction. Weed the one's out that needed weeded out, and parents and players will know what to expect in the future. You have to start building a program from the bottom up, and sometimes things like this need to happen.
[-] The following 2 users Like Blackcat 4 Life's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, The Real Kevin Woods
(06-20-2024, 07:55 PM)TE#82 Wrote: Like I said if these parents and kids wanted to better and compete for blackcat football they would have stayed. Sounds like pburg needed to trim the fat anyways. Should be better for the long run
For One "Not John D" , Concerned Blackcat is not KW.  If KW has something to say about anything, I'm not going to hide behind an anonymous screen name to share my thoughts....Ill tell you to your face or say it on my personal Facebook page (which I will follow-up with one after I write this) so people know where it comes from.  

Go Hornets!
Go Blackcats!
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Real Kevin Woods's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
(06-21-2024, 09:23 AM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: Hager isn't running anyone off. Logan Hall left last year after the season, and Lafferty was pretty much forced to leave due to his father taking the baseball coaching position at Betsy Layne. The only kid that left to my knowledge that was unhappy was Westin Harris and he has been to three different schools in four years. If anything, Hager is setting the tone for future success. They will take their lumps this year but for the longevity of the program looks to be heading in the right direction. Weed the one's out that needed weeded out, and parents and players will know what to expect in the future. You have to start building a program from the bottom up, and sometimes things like this need to happen.
I have had direct conversations with players on the roster who have said that the baseball story with Coles dad is a lie being spun by the coaching staff to cover it up.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Concerned_Blackcat's post:
  • Colonel4Life1999
I will say that I can say with very good confidence that Betsy Layne will have the exact same baseball coach that they had last year. A new assistant, maybe, but not the head guy.
(06-21-2024, 01:02 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote:
(06-21-2024, 09:23 AM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: Hager isn't running anyone off. Logan Hall left last year after the season, and Lafferty was pretty much forced to leave due to his father taking the baseball coaching position at Betsy Layne. The only kid that left to my knowledge that was unhappy was Westin Harris and he has been to three different schools in four years. If anything, Hager is setting the tone for future success. They will take their lumps this year but for the longevity of the program looks to be heading in the right direction. Weed the one's out that needed weeded out, and parents and players will know what to expect in the future. You have to start building a program from the bottom up, and sometimes things like this need to happen.
I have had direct conversations with players on the roster who have said that the baseball story with Coles dad is a lie being spun by the coaching staff to cover it up.
I can say with certainty this isn’t true.
I just don’t understand the obsessiveness with posting every little thing whether it’s true or not and I definitely don’t get the It really has nothing to do with the game or supporting the kids or the coaches (who are either volunteers or criminally underpaid). Go after the college and pro coaches who are making millions all you want, but the targeting of high school level coaches is insane to me.

This message board used to be great for discussion and while there’s always been trolling and your bad apples who like to muck things up, it used to get cleaned up and policed. Now folks can get on here and basically say whatever they want as long as they aren’t revealing someone else’s identity. I hate that it’s becoming a place for those who love to create drama.
(06-21-2024, 05:58 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I just don’t understand the obsessiveness with posting every little thing whether it’s true or not and I definitely don’t get the It really has nothing to do with the game or supporting the kids or the coaches (who are either volunteers or criminally underpaid). Go after the college and pro coaches who are making millions all you want, but the targeting of high school level coaches is insane to me.

This message board used to be great for discussion and while there’s always been trolling and your bad apples who like to muck things up, it used to get cleaned up and policed. Now folks can get on here and basically say whatever they want as long as they aren’t revealing someone else’s identity. I hate that it’s becoming a place for those who love to create drama.

As a moderator. How would you advise we censor those things? We can’t determine what’s true or false, we can only policy what is against the rules. You got people making fake accounts just to get on here and bash another person for one thing that was said and probably will never post again.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(06-21-2024, 06:19 PM)Spud6 Wrote:
(06-21-2024, 05:58 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I just don’t understand the obsessiveness with posting every little thing whether it’s true or not and I definitely don’t get the It really has nothing to do with the game or supporting the kids or the coaches (who are either volunteers or criminally underpaid). Go after the college and pro coaches who are making millions all you want, but the targeting of high school level coaches is insane to me.

As a moderator. How would you advise we censor those things? We can’t determine what’s true or false, we can only policy what is against the rules. You got people making fake accounts just to get on here and bash another person for one thing that was said and probably will never post again.
It’s nothing against any of the active mods or admins. You all can only do what the rules state.
I feel bad for Hager. I feel bad for the kids. None of them asked for any of this. From a fan perspective, you get upset because kids keep leaving. But from a parental standpoint, you want your kid to play for titles and compete, especially if it’s their final season. For Hager to be successful, losing seniors while developing 8th graders and freshmen are really the only way to build the program. I’d say goodbye to Harris, Lafferty, etc. and welcome youngsters in their spot to get crucial experience moving forward. Not saying anything bad about those that are leaving because I love both families but Hager needs continuity and I’d rather lose a kid for one year than seeing freshmen transfer out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BCF4L's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
I think this year will be a little down, but they will bounce back after that for the two years after.

Weather the storm Blackcats!
[-] The following 2 users Like Sportscritic79's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, Waitaminute
(06-27-2024, 09:36 PM)Sportscritic79 Wrote: I think this year will be a little down, but they will bounce back after that for the two years after.

Weather the storm Blackcats!
I would agree if they had a competent coaching staff. 

There’s a ton of talent coming up that’s going to be wasted with a coaching staff full of people who don’t know how to coach varsity football. He has no one on staff with legitimate varsity experience. Only guys who coached middle school ball and weren’t successful or who haven’t coached at all.