Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
13th Region Summer Ball
Figured folks could use this thread to keep everyone up to date teams an individual performances over the next 3 weeks. I know there has already been few games, any teams or players been a pleasant surprise?
[-] The following 1 user Likes runthepill's post:
  • Keystone12
(06-03-2024, 12:58 PM)runthepill Wrote: Figured folks could use this thread to keep everyone up to date teams an individual performances over the next 3 weeks. I know there has already been few games, any teams or players been a pleasant surprise?
Corbin is 4-0. The only solid win was against Bell Co 70-68. Lucas Brittain has played really well. The Akins kid is playing point and had around 20 pts and a good alley oop jam. Their defense was good at times. Cameron Hall looked solid for bell. Also buell. Blake burnett wasn’t his usual self but played ok. Corbin plays barbourville and whitley co tomorrow. Also evan ellis is playing really good for whitley co. He had 24 of his teams 37 first half points against bville.
How’s North Laurel and South Laurel looking?
I know S.Laurel has games at their place today and tomorrow. I know Harlan Co and Whitley are there as well.
Harlan county beat Clay county yesterday by 11
(06-06-2024, 09:38 AM)Cowboy42 Wrote: How’s North Laurel and South Laurel looking?
I was told that Danville Christian and Southwest beat NL. SL was beaten by Great Crossing at GC and beat Russell, Bowling Green and Middlesboro thus far. The kid that trans from NL to SL has reportedly been a difference maker in the post for SL allowing Mabe to get back to the perimeter
NL beat southwestern by 24 lost to DCA by 2
[-] The following 1 user Likes bballfan14's post:
  • shottaker23
Any updates from the end of the week?
SL beat somerset and Clinton easily, doubled up Madison Central and lost to Berea on Thursday and Friday. The last one was a head scratcher until I found out the starters DNP

(06-08-2024, 08:48 AM)shottaker23 Wrote: SL beat somerset and Clinton easily, doubled up Madison Central and lost to Berea on Thursday and Friday. The last one was a head scratcher until I found out the starters DNP
HC struggled early against Clinton co size but won and beat Mad Central
South beat Clinton by 8 in the scrimmage I saw. HC pulled away in the second half and won by 12 over Clinton and 12 over Madison Central. Knox had a couple of starters out but still beat Berea.
SL beat GRC and Dunbar today in Richmond
SL over Lex Cath and Lincoln today in Richmond
(06-11-2024, 04:40 PM)shottaker23 Wrote: SL over Lex Cath and Lincoln today in Richmond
SL with wins today over East Jess, North Hardin, and Fleming. None were within single digits.
I don’t see anyone touching South this year if they stay healthy
(06-13-2024, 02:41 AM)RunItUpTheGut Wrote: I don’t see anyone touching South this year if they stay healthy

Pretty wide open 13th 2 or 3 teams won’t be separated my much with 1 or 2 others right on their heels, south’s biggest issue is going to be the head coach 1 region tittle since 2011 with some loaded rosters during those years. Can’t score 34, 44, and 38 and expect to win at the arena
[-] The following 1 user Likes ScratchGolf's post:
  • RunItUpTheGut
(06-13-2024, 03:06 AM)ScratchGolf Wrote:
(06-13-2024, 02:41 AM)RunItUpTheGut Wrote: I don’t see anyone touching South this year if they stay healthy

Pretty wide open 13th 2 or 3 teams won’t be separated my much with 1 or 2 others right on their heels, south’s biggest issue is going to be the head coach 1 region tittle since 2011 with some loaded rosters during those years. Can’t score 34, 44, and 38 and expect to win at the arena

now that is a funny comment about the Coach, you must be on staff at North Laurel or never watch actual basketball games. Davis is the best coach in the 13th and consistently wins with less team “talent” than some of the other schools.
[-] The following 2 users Like fansville's post:
  • RunItUpTheGut, shottaker23
(06-13-2024, 08:22 AM)fansville Wrote:

now that is a funny comment about the Coach, you must be on staff at North Laurel or never watch actual basketball games. Davis is the best coach in the 13th and consistently wins with less team “talent” than some of the other schools.

Less talent? But in a 5-6 year stretch he had the most talent in the region, and if you say other wise you just don’t watch a much high school basketball, and he only came up with 1 region championship?
(06-13-2024, 09:24 AM)ScratchGolf Wrote:

Less talent? But in a 5-6 year stretch he had the most talent in the region, and if you say other wise you just don’t watch a much high school basketball, and he only came up with 1 region championship?

Jeff is a double edge sword. He can coach, probably the best defensive coach around but man oh man does he likes control. He is always in the hunt because of the style AKA “control” he likes to have on the offensive end. Jeff is dangerous when he suppose to have a “down year” but when he is the favorite he tends to get in his own way sometimes.

Most Talent? NO. Some of the best players yes. But legitimately only 2 teams have a shot at region THIS year, not talking about previous. Those 2 teams are SL and HC--if you say otherwise you don't know 13th basketball. Huff is the best offensive player in the region but Mabe is the best defensive player in the state. And SL has big 3 this  year which they've not have since......the last time they won region. They are not going to overwhelm the 13th but they will be the favorite. And the Arena favors teams with size not perimeter. Davis is the best coach in the 13th along with P and Brad. Any others not close.
(06-13-2024, 10:23 AM)shottaker23 Wrote:

Most Talent? NO. Some of the best players yes. But legitimately only 2 teams have a shot at region THIS year, not talking about previous. Those 2 teams are SL and HC--if you say otherwise you don't know 13th basketball. Huff is the best offensive player in the region but Mabe is the best defensive player in the state. And SL has big 3 this  year which they've not have since......the last time they won region. They are not going to overwhelm the 13th but they will be the favorite. And the Arena favors teams with size not perimeter. Davis is the best coach in the 13th along with P and Brad. Any others not close.

Lost in semis

Jared grubb.
Jj ramey
Ryan Anders
Mathew cromer

One of 2 region championships Davis ever coached in
Jj ramey
Ryan Anders
Mathew cromer

Lost in semis
Mathew cromer
Jj ramey
Brett norvall

Lost in semis
Jordan Mabe
Eli gover
Parker payne

every one of these teams had avg or above avg role players and he couldn’t win a region tittle with none of them, jj ramey and Mathew cromer are 2 of Cumberlands best players. Name a team from around he that has put 2 kids off rhe same team on the court at Cumberlands together,
I’ve never been impressed with Davis as a coach, should have way more Regional championships than he has.
[-] The following 1 user Likes insideinfo's post:
  • ScratchGolf
(06-13-2024, 01:17 PM)ScratchGolf Wrote:
(06-13-2024, 10:23 AM)shottaker23 Wrote:
(06-13-2024, 03:06 AM)ScratchGolf Wrote: Pretty wide open 13th 2 or 3 teams won’t be separated my much with 1 or 2 others right on their heels, south’s biggest issue is going to be the head coach 1 region tittle since 2011 with some loaded rosters during those years. Can’t score 34, 44, and 38 and expect to win at the arena

Lost in semis                             

Jared grubb.                       
Jj ramey
Ryan Anders
Mathew cromer

One of 2 region championships Davis ever coached in
Jj ramey
Ryan Anders
Mathew cromer

Lost in semis
Mathew cromer
Jj ramey
Brett norvall

Lost in semis
Jordan Mabe
Eli gover
Parker payne

every one of these teams had avg or above avg role players and he couldn’t win a region tittle with none of them, jj ramey and Mathew cromer are 2 of Cumberlands best players. Name a team from around he that has put 2 kids off rhe same team on the court at Cumberlands together
During those time periods Corbin Had 3 players that went on to play College(1 D1), Harlan Co had 2 college players(1 D1), Knox had 2 college players, NL had 3 college players (1 D1),  and I'm sure there was others. The last team you mentioned went against potentially the number one draft pick in the NBA upcoming lol. Did Davis kick you off the team or what lol because you are either a serious homer or are holding a serious grudge. This years team will in all likelihood be the best team he has fielded--lets see how he does this upcoming season and come back to this conversation. Regardless he is the best coach in the 13th.
(06-13-2024, 02:54 PM)insideinfo Wrote: I’ve never been impressed with Davis as a coach, should have way more Regional championships than he has.

1 region championship in 12 years is unacceptable, he’s had the talent, but tends to make talent look bad a lot
(06-13-2024, 03:05 PM)ScratchGolf Wrote:
(06-13-2024, 02:54 PM)insideinfo Wrote: I’ve never been impressed with Davis as a coach, should have way more Regional championships than he has.

1 region championship in 12 years is unacceptable, he’s had the talent, but tends to make talent look bad a lot
Lol and no other team in the 13th has talent I guess. In those 12 years how many kids has he had that have played college ball? 4 I believe? How many have played D1? Not trying to pick a arguement but other teams in the 13th have had a LOT better talent and more college talent. Thats facts not opinion
(06-13-2024, 03:26 PM)shottaker23 Wrote:

Lol and no other team in the 13th has talent I guess. In those 12 years how many kids has he had that have played college ball? 4 I believe? How many have played D1? Not trying to pick a arguement but other teams in the 13th have had a LOT better talent and more college talent. Thats facts not opinion

Well one of those teams posted a 18-1 record against 13th region teams so yea I would say that they probably had one of the better teams in the region, but the just so happens the only lose come in the semi finals to a team they had already beat, I agree other teams will always have talent in the region just like next year several teams will have talent Davis just doesn’t win much at the Corbin arena with his talent
(06-13-2024, 05:42 PM)ScratchGolf Wrote:

Well one of those teams posted a 18-1 record against 13th region teams so yea I would say that they probably had one of the better teams in the region, but the just so happens the only lose come in the semi finals to a team they had already beat, I agree other teams will always have talent in the region just like next year several teams will have talent Davis just doesn’t win much at the Corbin arena with his talent
But somehow he always manages to make it to the Arena. That team your talking about was a good team but not by no shade of the imagination a great one, look at the Mad Central and Scott games.  You(yes you) guys struggled against Corbin and the team you had already beat. You guys where a good team for sure but you had no post players. This years team has a couple of post players and thats what we are talking about- this years team, not the glory days.
Awful early to be crowning a champion but I will agree S.Laurel and Harlan Co will be going in as favorites. I do think Clay will be in the thick of things and will get very interesting if Bundy is granted the extra yr. Great seeing the 13th getting recognized state wide once again.
(06-13-2024, 08:52 PM)runthepill Wrote: Awful early to be crowning a champion but I will agree S.Laurel and Harlan Co will be going in as favorites. I do think Clay will be in the thick of things and will get very interesting if Bundy is granted the extra yr. Great seeing the 13th getting recognized state wide once again.

Could you explain this?
(06-13-2024, 05:58 PM)shottaker23 Wrote:

But somehow he always manages to make it to the Arena. That team your talking about was a good team but not by no shade of the imagination a great one, look at the Mad Central and Scott games.  You(yes you) guys struggled against Corbin and the team you had already beat. You guys where a good team for sure but you had no post players. This years team has a couple of post players and thats what we are talking about- this years team, not the glory days.

Manages to make it to the arena? I’m not sure they would be considered a accomplishment, I think that is just expected, I have nothing to do with south ? but I just can’t figure out what he’s accomplished thsts do impressive.

I’m not sure what mad cent and Scott co has to do with anything if I’m not mistaken Scott co played for a state championship. But I think they both play in the 11th region no one ever said he should be winning state tittle. But any team going 17-0 in region is more then likely one of your better teams in the region
(06-14-2024, 12:49 AM)ScratchGolf Wrote:
(06-13-2024, 05:58 PM)shottaker23 Wrote:
(06-13-2024, 03:05 PM)ScratchGolf Wrote: 1 region championship in 12 years is unacceptable, he’s had the talent, but tends to make talent look bad a lot

Manages to make it to the arena? I’m not sure they would be considered a accomplishment, I think that is just expected, I have nothing to do with south ? but I just can’t figure out what he’s accomplished thsts do impressive.

I’m not sure what mad cent and Scott co has to do with anything if I’m not mistaken Scott co played for a state championship. But I think they both play in the 11th region no one ever said he should be winning state tittle. But any team going 17-0 in region is more then likely one of your better teams in the region
You make it sound as if they have had great teams during that 5-6 year period. You quoted their record of 18-1 with corresponded with the season that they got spanked by Scott and Mad Central. I was just letting you know that the team you where building your arguement around wasn't anywhere near as strong as you thought. Regardless you don't seem to understand this thread is about current teams and not average previous teams who either overachieved or underachieved depending on your point of view.

In current summer action South Laurel beat Clay and Bell yesterday