Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg, 4th coach in 5 years?????
I would think Hall would be a person to seriously consider. He has won a lot of ball games in the elementary/middle school ranks. One of his former players at Betsy Layne is already rumored to be there.
Another person of interest not mentioned would be Rady Martin. He really had great points when he addressed the FC Board of Ed over getting passed over at FC.
I'd like to see them get a coach that is relatable to players, Prestonsburg deserves that.
I think the biggest question about just about anyone would be longevity. If you hire someone other than Gearheart or Dougie, how long before they look to hop to another program? Does Rady Look to bounce if Floyd Central is open? We have already seen Ricky Thacker hire young coaches outside of the program and it has bit him both times.
(05-02-2024, 02:16 PM)BCF4L Wrote: I think the biggest question about just about anyone would be longevity. If you hire someone other than Gearheart or Dougie, how long before they look to hop to another program? Does Rady Look to bounce if Floyd Central is open? We have already seen Ricky Thacker hire young coaches outside of the program and it has bit him both times.

I don't think Mason Hall leaves either.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(05-02-2024, 02:39 PM)Spud6 Wrote:
(05-02-2024, 02:16 PM)BCF4L Wrote: I think the biggest question about just about anyone would be longevity. If you hire someone other than Gearheart or Dougie, how long before they look to hop to another program? Does Rady Look to bounce if Floyd Central is open? We have already seen Ricky Thacker hire young coaches outside of the program and it has bit him both times.

Maybe not but I’m sure it’s a question inside Thacker’s head. He has to know FOR SURE this coach is going to stay. That’s why I’m wondering why Harold Tackett is so high on his list. Harold is already semi-retired from teaching so just how long will he keep coaching? I feel like you have to look at someone who you know will be there 4-5 years down the road.
I say if we are looking at longevity, who wants to be there and who has proven themselves all around out of the guys that "make sense" it is very hard to look past Mason Hall and Brandon Gearheart.
(05-02-2024, 02:48 PM)BCF4L Wrote:
(05-02-2024, 02:39 PM)Spud6 Wrote:

Maybe not but I’m sure it’s a question inside Thacker’s head. He has to know FOR SURE this coach is going to stay. That’s why I’m wondering why Harold Tackett is so high on his list. Harold is already semi-retired from teaching so just how long will he keep coaching? I feel like you have to look at someone who you know will be there 4-5 years down the road.

I said the same thing about Harold, wouldn't see him staying very long if he did take it. As is the issue at most places, it's tough for a coach (especially young) to come into a position and try to succeed and build something, mainly just because you have a combo of administration/parents who won't stay out of the way to give them a chance to build something.
[-] The following 1 user Likes -STAT-'s post:
  • BCF4L
(05-02-2024, 02:53 PM)Colonel4Life1999 Wrote: I say if we are looking at longevity, who wants to be there and who has proven themselves all around out of the guys that "make sense" it is very hard to look past Mason Hall and Brandon Gearheart.
I think if things shook out differently after the middle school state title run in 2017, Prestonsburg has a powerhouse sports program in general across all sports and we’re not even having this discussion. Hire Brent Rose as the principal, the mass exodus to Paintsville never happens and Prestonsburg is the place to be. However now we’re talking hiring a new basketball coach for the 4th time in 5 years, the 3rd football coach in 5 years and a round robin of players transferring out year after year. I still get fired up thinking about what previous regimes did to a program that was set up for success for multiple years only to watch it deteriorate with one bad move.
[-] The following 2 users Like BCF4L's post:
  • Blacksmith, Colonel4Life1999
I say we just pony up and bring back Gordon Parido to coach!  Town would surely get behind him!
Harold will be hired by next week.
The Tackett guy didn’t look much more engaged then the Coach they had, if there smart they’d call our Girls Coach, he would be the right fit and I hear he is close to a lot of those boys. If not him then maybe a Gearheart /Allen combo
[-] The following 1 user Likes FloydCountySuperstar's post:
  • -STAT-
(05-02-2024, 04:20 PM)FloydCountySuperstar Wrote: The Tackett guy didn’t look much more engaged then the Coach they had, if there smart they’d call our Girls Coach, he would be the right fit and I hear he is close to a lot of those boys. If not him then maybe a Gearheart /Allen combo
Good call there. I really like Kory Thacker. Great young coach as well that helped Casey Huff when he was at Prestonsburg.
(05-02-2024, 04:48 PM)BCF4L Wrote:
(05-02-2024, 04:20 PM)FloydCountySuperstar Wrote: The Tackett guy didn’t look much more engaged then the Coach they had, if there smart they’d call our Girls Coach, he would be the right fit and I hear he is close to a lot of those boys. If not him then maybe a Gearheart /Allen combo
Good call there. I really like Kory Thacker. Great young coach as well that helped Casey Huff when he was at Prestonsburg.

I wish the Blackcats all the best in their coaching search but coming from a Bobcat, stay away, we love Kory.  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Tackett is the choice
Kory Thacker would be a good choice
(05-02-2024, 08:31 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: Kory Thacker would be a good choice

Kory has a good thing going at BL, he’s being allowed to build a program, don’t see that happening. Harold Tackett is someone who could leave you hanging in the middle in the year, just up and quit, don’t see him relating to kids. Brandon Gearheart has been at PBURG with both programs, I think that rules him out. Dougie Hopkins, they didn’t want him the previous 2 times for whatever reason, I don’t think the third time is the charm. And that leaves you with what the Prestonsburg community has done to themselves, no coach.
(05-02-2024, 09:12 PM)YouKnowNot Wrote:

Kory has a good thing going at BL, he’s being allowed to build a program, don’t see that happening. Harold Tackett is someone who could leave you hanging in the middle in the year, just up and quit, don’t see him relating to kids. Brandon Gearheart has been at PBURG with both programs, I think that rules him out. Dougie Hopkins, they didn’t want him the previous 2 times for whatever reason, I don’t think the third time is the charm. And that leaves you with what the Prestonsburg community has done to themselves, no coach.
The community has done? I’m unaware the community did anything to the basketball program? More like politics and inside jobs but not the community. The community tried to make the last hire and the principal went rogue and did the opposite. Both times actually. Chalk this up to the admin not listening to what should’ve been done prior to Huff being chosen.
(05-02-2024, 09:24 PM)BCF4L Wrote:

The community has done? I’m unaware the community did anything to the basketball program? More like politics and inside jobs but not the community. The community tried to make the last hire and the principal went rogue and did the opposite. Both times actually. Chalk this up to the admin not listening to what should’ve been done prior to Huff being chosen.

Politics and Inside Jobs didn’t come from members of or people with ties to the community in some form or fashion? They’ve had like 4 coaches in the last 5 years at the middle school level too, Principal go rogue then too or is that the community?

The last 2 hires they’ve went with new faces, those from outside the community. Huff left for Knott, which is understandable. Parsley, left for the Prison, also understandable. Now before that, I agree. But Brent Rose should’ve never got that job, he only got it based on who he is.
(05-02-2024, 09:28 PM)YouKnowNot Wrote:

Politics and Inside Jobs didn’t come from members of or people with ties to the community in some form or fashion? They’ve had like 4 coaches in the last 5 years at the middle school level too, Principal go rogue then too or is that the community?
Politics happened at the middle school level too. The problem is you have too many people trying to do favors to end up at the board of education and this is what you’re left with. Trust me when I tell you there’s a lot going on behind the scenes that many people don’t know.

The last 2 hires they’ve went with new faces, those from outside the community. Huff left for Knott, which is understandable. Parsley, left for the Prison, also understandable. Now before that, I agree. But Brent Rose should’ve never got that job, he only got it based on who he is.
Brent Rose should’ve been the principal instead of Bricken and none of this would’ve happened. The only time basketball has remotely seen success in this town was when Brent and Dougie were on the sidelines. Brent was ran out because of something he never said. It was blown up into a big deal when it wasn’t even relatively close to what he said in the huddle. But call it what it is: Coach K couldn’t win with what Prestonsburg has now. You’ve already lost Estridge, if things I’m hearing are likely to happen then Allen isn’t going to play either. I doubt Ferrell stays since Chase is gone. That leaves you with Napier and Keathley from the primary rotation. You hire Brent in 2018 and Prestonsburg is booming. Instead, politicians are playing puppeteer.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BCF4L's post:
  • BlackcatPride32
(05-02-2024, 09:37 PM)BCF4L Wrote:

Brent Rose should’ve been the principal instead of Bricken and none of this would’ve happened. The only time basketball has remotely seen success in this town was when Brent and Dougie were on the sidelines. Brent was ran out because of something he never said. It was blown up into a big deal when it wasn’t even relatively close to what he said in the huddle. But call it what it is: Coach K couldn’t win with what Prestonsburg has now. You’ve already lost Estridge, if things I’m hearing are likely to happen then Allen isn’t going to play either. I doubt Ferrell stays since Chase is gone. That leaves you with Napier and Keathley from the primary rotation. You hire Brent in 2018 and Prestonsburg is booming. Instead, politicians are playing puppeteer.

My point exactly.
BC4LF that is a huge hit if Allen doesn’t play, he a big piece, I heard Ferrell was leaving and to me Estridge was maybe the most important piece on that roster, that leaves a lot of wholes to fill. Keathley is a great start and Napier but do they have anyone else that can remotely be a big contributor? Hope for there sake Allen plays
I swear it looks like Brent Rose had a losing record while at Prestonsburg.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ring'Em Up's post:
  • YouKnowNot
(05-03-2024, 12:01 AM)Ring'Em Up Wrote: I swear it looks like Brent Rose had a losing record while at Prestonsburg.

More than likely. Brent is a good guy. But coached 10-15 years at the HS level and never won a district, etc. If Fitzer’s father doesn’t pass away, he’s probably at P-Burg, making them really tough this past season. Some choose to forget that though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes YouKnowNot's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
(05-02-2024, 11:51 PM)FloydCountySuperstar Wrote: BC4LF that is a huge hit if Allen doesn’t play, he a big piece, I heard Ferrell was leaving and to me Estridge was maybe the most important piece on that roster, that leaves a lot of wholes to fill. Keathley is a great start and Napier but do they have anyone else that can remotely be a big contributor? Hope for there sake Allen plays
6 points per game over 32 games played isn't hard to replace. There is plenty of kids there that can do that. If they can get Thacker to come back as well, they will surprise some teams that may overlook them. He will pull some kids in there.
Wasn’t the points, he was the kid that stood out when you go back and watch film, might be the best defender in the Region, offensively he wasn’t the same kid at the end of the season, when we played them as he was when you watch his film from early season games. I know when we had him at the Sportsplex with the rest our BL boys, he looked like a kid that should be averaging more n the mid teens at the very least. Now I could also see the Napier kid for them averaging mid teens if they give him the ball and use him more then just a rebounder, but after Napier, Keathley and Allen I don’t know I can name you another kid on their team. Now if you havnt watched us, you’ll be shocked with the improvement we’ve seen from Isaiah Allen.
(05-03-2024, 07:01 AM)FloydCountySuperstar Wrote: Wasn’t the points, he was the kid that stood out when you go back and watch film, might be the best defender in the Region, offensively he wasn’t the same kid at the end of the season, when we played them as he was when you watch his film from early season games. I know when we had him at the Sportsplex with the rest our BL boys, he looked like a kid that  should be averaging more n the mid teens at the very least. Now I could also see the Napier kid for them averaging mid teens if they give him the ball and use him more then just a rebounder, but after Napier, Keathley and Allen I don’t know I can name you another kid on their team. Now if you havnt watched us, you’ll be shocked with the improvement we’ve seen from Isaiah Allen.
I would think that same thing could be said of any team in the 15th region. Anyone that can name 4 or more kids on all opposing teams needs to take a vacation away from basketball. Isaiah has always been a great player. The head coach there just needs to stop trying to run him off.
(05-03-2024, 07:01 AM)FloydCountySuperstar Wrote: Wasn’t the points, he was the kid that stood out when you go back and watch film, might be the best defender in the Region, offensively he wasn’t the same kid at the end of the season, when we played them as he was when you watch his film from early season games. I know when we had him at the Sportsplex with the rest our BL boys, he looked like a kid that  should be averaging more n the mid teens at the very least. Now I could also see the Napier kid for them averaging mid teens if they give him the ball and use him more then just a rebounder, but after Napier, Keathley and Allen I don’t know I can name you another kid on their team. Now if you havnt watched us, you’ll be shocked with the improvement we’ve seen from Isaiah Allen.

No one is the same player in pickup that they are in organized ball. That’s on the coach, they obviously don’t feel comfortable enough for some reason. Allen has improved based on? Playing in a glorified open gym at the Sportsplex and in open gym at BL against who. PBURG all depends on the coach they get.
Hopefully, who ever they hire can keep the team intact and possibly bring in a player or two. Lets be real, if you are going to be successful at the high school level, you have to be able to get transfers. Like it or not, that is where the game is going, and the KHSAA is doing nothing to stop it. Prestonsburg has a solid core of guys, but they need a coach who is going to be invested. You can't blame Coach Parsley for doing what is best for his family and taking a job where he will be making a more significant salary. As far as Prestonsburg in general, the administration from the High School down to the Middle School need to get things in order. Prestonsburg used to be a place where kids wanted to come, but with the current environment, that's far from the case anymore. I did see where the Middle School has posted all coaching positions, and I feel like that is a step in the right direction. Changes need to be made at all levels and coaches need to be there for the betterment of the programs, and not only coaching for their kids.
I don’t see why any coach would want to coach a P-Burg. Too much coaching from the stands and no support to the coaches. As stated prior that no coach had been able to stay long enough to become embedded in the program. Reason being is weak administrators, parents who try to control everything with the “my kid is a superstar and better be on the floor for the whole game”. Let kids enjoy their HS years. Not everyone has the same ability on the court or on the field but they can be a good teammate. As an alumni I played for the same coach all 4 years at Prestonsburg. That rarely happens nowadays. People want to transfer when things get tough or quit. How many kids have gone to the NFL or NBA in recent years from Eastern Ky. Parents/Administrators let the kids play without your interference and let the coaches coach without your interference.
(05-02-2024, 09:37 PM)BCF4L Wrote:

Favors and politics in Floyd co have been a bane of our existence across all forms of gov't, including education... Its still that way