Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buzz Around Pikeville
Hearing that if Orem steps down, it will be by Friday at the latest.
(04-17-2024, 11:00 AM)TheDick's-n-Karl's Wrote: Hearing that if Orem steps down, it will be by Friday at the latest.

What happens if she doesn't step down? Will they retain her?
well
What is the reason? Was this a resign or be let go type of situation?
She has officially stepped down. Reported a few minutes ago
Was this a situation of the parents forcing the administration to make a move. Don’t know details but it seemed like the previous players like playing for her. What is the behind the scenes information on this. Or did she see the cupboard was bare after that senior class graduates and is out the door?
(04-17-2024, 03:09 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: Was this a situation of the parents forcing the administration to make a move. Don’t know details but it seemed like the previous players like playing for her. What is the behind the scenes information on this. Or did she see the cupboard was bare after that senior class graduates and is out the door?

I would say the hand was forced. Stepping down looks better on the resume.
(04-17-2024, 03:11 PM)TheDick's-n-Karl's Wrote:
(04-17-2024, 03:09 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: Was this a situation of the parents forcing the administration to make a move. Don’t know details but it seemed like the previous players like playing for her. What is the behind the scenes information on this. Or did she see the cupboard was bare after that senior class graduates and is out the door?

I would say the hand was forced. Stepping down looks better on the resume.
What did she do?
I heard Kristy interviewing at Paintsville and there will be a meeting with AD Kinner to negotiate.
I'm making this statement as a generalization, not about Coach Orem's situation but being around Eastern,Ky sports for as long as I have I can say with exp that it does not take doing something wrong to get forced out. All it takes it hurting the wrong person's feelings...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blacksmith's post:
  • Westside
I heard Kristy interviewing at Paintsville and there will be a meeting with AD Kinner to negotiate.

Very very far form bare as everyone will quickly find out...
Heard McAlarnis from Perry is taking the job
(04-17-2024, 07:33 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

I’m sure you’d say there is quite a bit of a drop off in talent compared to what’s been there. Is there a future Miss Basketball on that roster? Another D1 player? 3 other very good players to go with them??
Sounds like she is taking a job in Central KY!
(04-17-2024, 07:51 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(04-17-2024, 07:33 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

I’m sure you’d say there is quite a bit of a drop off in talent compared to what’s been there. Is there a future Miss Basketball on that roster? Another D1 player? 3 other very good players to go with them??

I'm still saying the cupboard is very very far from bare but now you're saying something totally different. You don't have any idea what they will put on the floor. These wild guess threads are exhausting.
I'm sure there is more around this story than her just stepping down.
Hearing Johnson Central, Paintsville and Mercer County is in her near future.
Heard this was gonna happen several months ago, thought it was strange considering her success, but apparently had rubbed A LOT of people the wrong way.
(04-17-2024, 07:47 PM)Cerberus Wrote: Heard McAlarnis from Perry is taking the job
Why would they want to hire her. She couldn’t get it done at Perry Central in a weak region. If they hire her that’s the end of the program. Got to get in the grade schools and be involved with the youth. It’s more than coaching your team at the high school level
Perry County has about the worst girls basketball in the entire region. Randy couldn’t get it done his last 5 years either. Ain’t NO TALENT. Just a lot of entitlement and politics. We will see what the OBI coach can do with the homegrown kids. Will they go out and buy him some talent like they done for years with the boys?
(04-20-2024, 10:40 PM)Basketballguru1 Wrote:
(04-17-2024, 07:47 PM)Cerberus Wrote: Heard McAlarnis from Perry is taking the job
Why would they want to hire her. She couldn’t get it done at Perry Central in a weak region. If they hire her that’s the end of the program. Got to get in the grade schools and be involved with the youth. It’s more than coaching your team at the high school level
IMO I believe the 15th is weaker than the 14th. Pikeville has went to the state tournament the last several years just because they had Miss basketball. Take her away and the program is like everyone else in the region.
(04-21-2024, 02:12 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: Perry County has about the worst girls basketball in the entire region.  Randy couldn’t get it done his last 5 years either.  Ain’t NO TALENT.  Just a lot of entitlement and politics.  We will see what the OBI coach can do with the homegrown kids.  Will they go out and buy him some talent like they done for years with the boys?
I’m just saying she had the best teams in the region at least two years she was at PCC. Last year her team got beat by a bunch of grade school girls in the 1st round of the District on her home floor.
(04-21-2024, 11:08 PM)Basketballguru1 Wrote:
(04-21-2024, 02:12 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: Perry County has about the worst girls basketball in the entire region.  Randy couldn’t get it done his last 5 years either.  Ain’t NO TALENT.  Just a lot of entitlement and politics.  We will see what the OBI coach can do with the homegrown kids.  Will they go out and buy him some talent like they done for years with the boys?
I’m just saying she had the best teams in the region at least two years she was at PCC. Last year her team got beat by a bunch of grade school girls in the 1st round of the District on her home floor.
Give credit where credit is due. Coach up at hazard is the real deal. Takes raw talent and does the lords work with them. Also had Maggard on that team, you could’ve handed her the ball in the parking lot and she was sinking it. Not saying Perry has been successful recently but got to give credit to the dawgs on that game.
I must chime in on this one as I see it a little differently than some of you. All Misty had was the Neace kid and her daughter. She had two kids that couldn’t start at Hazard that started for her and another kid starting that couldn’t have started on any of the top 5 or 6 teams in the region. I just don’t think PCC was the best team in the region last year or this year. The coach at Hazard hasn’t won anything so let’s not give him a crown just yet. I do think he works hard with the players but can’t figure out why he ain’t in Paintsville trying to get that job with his family being there. But more power to him.

Gonna go back and say this….::
Owsley was the best team in the 14th HANDS DOWN. Then maybe Knott and LCC. I’d say PCC 4th. PCC was 22-10 I think or 21-10. Looked at their schedule just now over on KHSAA. Think that team overachieved with what little bit of athletes it had. Just my opinion. Hope nobody is offended.
Yea look at the records of the teams they beat. They had 12 wins against teams with losing records. I never once said Perry had the best team in the region. How many wins did Perry have against good teams. Maybe 2. Over the 5 years that she has been at Perry how many kids 1 either didn’t come out to play for her or 2 transferred out of the program?
I think they didn’t come out to play because they aren’t taught to NOT by playing in the awful grade school basketball program they have in the county each year. 4th grades playing with 8th graders. I reffed a lot of grade school county games over the years. The level of grade school ball has went down hill drastically since coaches like Rob Neace, Misty, Earl Turner, Dougie, Vernel Williams, Dena Smith, and Larry Caudill all stepped away from it.

The past 5/6 years I reffed here kids I could recall playing that could actually do average things were East Perry kids. Been a couple here and there from the other schools but just not many. I think most teams in the county play like 10/12 games a year and barely practice 1-2 days a week. Got Volleyball and Cross Country going on during gjrls Bball season. Just can’t have a good program with a county as small as Perry with all these activities going on. Most parents want the easy way out and choose sports that just require showing up a day or two a week.

And what players did she lose besides the grade school kids that went to Hazard? Aren’t most of them starting up there in softball to?
She lost two or three that went to grade school at RW. It’s ok to take up for the people you love nothing wrong with that. All I am saying in PCC was going good in the right direction when the legend himself Coach Napier was at the helm. It was went downhill ever since.
I hope Misty goes on and is successful. I just don’t see it in my opinion
Thats a big negative.
Don’t love anyone mentioned. Sorry if I offended you by saying RW wasn’t very good in girls basketball.

I agree it has went downhill since Randy quit.
But I can’t sit back and blame these things on Misty. Probably a good move to make would be to replace all the girls grade school basketball coaches in the county. None have done a good job. They aren’t helping matters any. Hopefully a new coach can come in here and clean things up. I for one love Perry County and hope things improve.
(04-19-2024, 02:30 PM)TheDick's-n-Karl's Wrote: I'm sure there is more around this story than her just stepping down.
Hearing Johnson Central, Paintsville and Mercer County is in her near future.
is the Mercer job open?