•  Previous
  • 16(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Prestonsburg Open
(02-13-2024, 02:35 PM)HSFOOTBALL Wrote: I'm a complete outsider to Prestonsburg football, I did play with Jeremy Caudill a little in college, but other than that I'm only familiar with the history and not the ins and outs.

What I do know is that if they couldn't outbid GRC for Jordan Ray then the "Money" everyone is speaking of isn't talking. I love Jordan, he's a great guy a great OC and Line coach and will be a good HC one day, but I know a little about the coaching budgets around the state and if Pburg wanted Jordan bad enough they could and would have outbid GRC's OC stipend and school pay.  You can't have Champagne taste on a Steel Reserve budget. It sounds to me like Pburg should take a chance with a no name up and comer and pray they hit lighting in a bottle.
They didn't offer Jordan Ray the same package as they did Sullivan. I feel like they were too confident in Ray taking the job and they tried to get him at a lesser cost. This ended up biting them in the end, when GRC offered him a new position and raise. If they would have offered Ray the money up front, I feel like it would have been hard to turn down. Also, Ray wanted things outside of money that Prestonsburg couldn't guarantee. They went all in on Sullivan, and if it wasn't for his family wanting to stay at Pikeville, he would be the coach at Prestonsburg as we speak. There are more important things than money, and Sullivan like most others put his family first. I don't know where they are going to go from here. Letton is interested, but he is wanting too much money. He would be taking a significant pay cut if he came back. You can't blame him. Burchett would be willing to help coach while he is here, but he can't commit to anything with him looking for other coaching jobs. I can't see any of the other names that have been mentioned on here being serious candidates. I know they are looking at a couple of assistant coaches which have coached under the best to ever do it in the state of Kentucky. They may not have gotten who they wanted to get initially, but I believe they will get it right in the end. Hail Blackcats!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blackcat 4 Life's post:
  • Explorer
(02-13-2024, 04:20 PM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote:
(02-13-2024, 02:35 PM)HSFOOTBALL Wrote: I'm a complete outsider to Prestonsburg football, I did play with Jeremy Caudill a little in college, but other than that I'm only familiar with the history and not the ins and outs.

What I do know is that if they couldn't outbid GRC for Jordan Ray then the "Money" everyone is speaking of isn't talking. I love Jordan, he's a great guy a great OC and Line coach and will be a good HC one day, but I know a little about the coaching budgets around the state and if Pburg wanted Jordan bad enough they could and would have outbid GRC's OC stipend and school pay.  You can't have Champagne taste on a Steel Reserve budget. It sounds to me like Pburg should take a chance with a no name up and comer and pray they hit lighting in a bottle.
They didn't offer Jordan Ray the same package as they did Sullivan. I feel like they were too confident in Ray taking the job and they tried to get him at a lesser cost. This ended up biting them in the end, when GRC offered him a new position and raise. If they would have offered Ray the money up front, I feel like it would have been hard to turn down. Also, Ray wanted things outside of money that Prestonsburg couldn't guarantee. They went all in on Sullivan, and if it wasn't for his family wanting to stay at Pikeville, he would be the coach at Prestonsburg as we speak. There are more important things than money, and Sullivan like most others put his family first. I don't know where they are going to go from here. Letton is interested, but he is wanting too much money. He would be taking a significant pay cut if he came back. You can't blame him. Burchett would be willing to help coach while he is here, but he can't commit to anything with him looking for other coaching jobs. I can't see any of the other names that have been mentioned on here being serious candidates. I know they are looking at a couple of assistant coaches which have coached under the best to ever do it in the state of Kentucky. They may not have gotten who they wanted to get initially, but I believe they will get it right in the end. Hail Blackcats!
I’m assuming you’re talking Haywood’s staff. I know Chapman was interested when Brewer was hired but that is the only name on that staff I’d see taking it and don’t know if he would now.
[/quote]
I’m assuming you’re talking Haywood’s staff. I know Chapman was interested when Brewer was hired but that is the only name on that staff I’d see taking it and don’t know if he would now.
[/quote]

I have heard both Coach Chapman and Coach Varney are online to take over at Belfry when Coach Haywood retires.

They’d have to offer close to the same package to both that they offered to Sullivan to get either, I would assume.
[/quote]

I have heard both Coach Chapman and Coach Varney are online to take over at Belfry when Coach Haywood retires.

They’d have to offer close to the same package to both that they offered to Sullivan to get either, I would assume.
[/quote]
Varney is not going anywhere. He’s the assistant principal and has kids coming through the program. If these coaches wanted to be a head coach somewhere they’d have done it. Pburg is going to have to end up hiring someone with little or no proven coaching success at the HS level.
Somebody has to say it. Try to get Derosset back and give him full control.
[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, Colonel4Life1999
(02-13-2024, 05:05 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Somebody has to say it. Try to get Derosset back and give him full control.
It worked out for Pikeville. Not sure what the reasoning Mcnamee left first go around but he came back and have had great success since he has come back. I don’t think him and Derossett left under the same circumstances though
[-] The following 1 user Likes pirateforlife's post:
  • jetpilot
Go after Nathan Leslie. He fits in Louisville like a square peg in a round hole lol. His wife can find a job in Eky. I’m half way joking. But just Suprised his name hasn’t been mentioned more.
(02-13-2024, 05:18 PM)Upnorth Wrote: Go after Nathan Leslie. He fits in Louisville like a square peg in a round hole lol. His wife can find a job in Eky. I’m half way joking. But just Suprised his name hasn’t been mentioned more.

Hadn't thought about this, but that would definitely be a great hire for the Blackcats!
I’m sure Nathan Leslie was contacted when the job first come open.
(02-13-2024, 05:18 PM)Upnorth Wrote: Go after Nathan Leslie. He fits in Louisville like a square peg in a round hole lol. His wife can find a job in Eky. I’m half way joking. But just Suprised his name hasn’t been mentioned more.
They couldn’t handle Nathan. And Nathan isn’t going to leave Trinity to put up with Prestonsburg drama I can guarantee that.  

make a call to Haywood too he may be interested too.
(02-13-2024, 07:12 PM)papabear02 Wrote:
They couldn’t handle Nathan. And Nathan isn’t going to leave Trinity to put up with Prestonsburg drama I can guarantee that.  

This is true lol. Be fun to watch Nathan make all the mommies mad lol.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Upnorth's post:
  • papabear02
(02-13-2024, 07:21 PM)Upnorth Wrote:
(02-13-2024, 07:12 PM)papabear02 Wrote:

This is true lol. Be fun to watch Nathan make all the mommies mad lol.
Haha. Yea man…he would be great but he’s not leaving Trinity

Hahaha, I love that, never heard that one before.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
I do believe the folks putting out the feelers and controlling much of this search have the right intentions. I know the haters and trolls aren't going to agree with me, but many are assuming and people on the outside are taking the bait. A LOT of what's being posted is far from truth.

Whether some want to believe things or not is up to them. I do know Jordan Ray was taking the job until GRC promoted him and gave him a raise. I do know Sullivan was close to accepting as well. They put their eggs in those two baskets and it didn't work out. I also know Burchett expressed interest as well as Letton.

I don't know what the plans are now. I know for a fact that they don't want to just settle for anyone. They'll continue to put out feelers and make phone calls to see who might be interested. I know also they've been upfront with potential coaches about some of the problems at Prestonsburg over the last several seasons, the lack of discipline being one of the biggest. So that tells me they want someone who can come in and command a room, demand respect, and discipline. Which leads me to this....

John Derossett...

Honestly I'd take him back. He could restore a lot that's been lost. But I don't know how the county board would feel about it or some in the community. The man can flat out coach and he can get the most out of his teams. No one can deny that. It'd be great if things could get worked out between the parties involved and they could all just bite the bullet and do what's best for the program and the kids. The man is a Blackcat and is the winningest coach in Prestonsburg history. It should be considered. If parents threaten transfer, let them. You can't make everyone happy. Loyal & True needs to matter again.

Prestonsburg does have high expectations and high standards, a lot of the parents of the middle school and high school players grew up in the 90s and 00s. They want their kids to have the same experience they had when the entire community was behind the football program. I get that. Do I think expectations and standards need to be lowered? I do. I've discussed that with many around the program. But in todays world, it's near impossible to change many folks minds.

I don't know who the next hire might be, but the ones in charge of this hiring process have to do what's best for the program, school, and the kids. Success won't be found around trying to please everyone, because that's impossible. I'm hoping for the best and I'll support whoever the next hire is 100% just like I supported Brewer.
[-] The following 2 users Like BlackcatAlum's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, Blacksmith
(02-13-2024, 10:23 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I do believe the folks putting out the feelers and controlling much of this search have the right intentions. I know the haters and trolls aren't going to agree with me, but many are assuming and people on the outside are taking the bait. A LOT of what's being posted is far from truth.

Whether some want to believe things or not is up to them. I do know Jordan Ray was taking the job until GRC promoted him and gave him a raise. I do know Sullivan was close to accepting as well. They put their eggs in those two baskets and it didn't work out. I also know Burchett expressed interest as well as Letton.

I don't know what the plans are now. I know for a fact that they don't want to just settle for anyone. They'll continue to put out feelers and make phone calls to see who might be interested. I know also they've been upfront with potential coaches about some of the problems at Prestonsburg over the last several seasons, the lack of discipline being one of the biggest. So that tells me they want someone who can come in and command a room, demand respect, and discipline. Which leads me to this....

John Derossett...

Honestly I'd take him back. He could restore a lot that's been lost. But I don't know how the county board would feel about it or some in the community. The man can flat out coach and he can get the most out of his teams. No one can deny that. It'd be great if things could get worked out between the parties involved and they could all just bite the bullet and do what's best for the program and the kids. The man is a Blackcat and is the winningest coach in Prestonsburg history. It should be considered. If parents threaten transfer, let them. You can't make everyone happy. Loyal & True needs to matter again.

Prestonsburg does have high expectations and high standards, a lot of the parents of the middle school and high school players grew up in the 90s and 00s. They want their kids to have the same experience they had when the entire community was behind the football program. I get that. Do I think expectations and standards need to be lowered? I do. I've discussed that with many around the program. But in todays world, it's near impossible to change many folks minds.

I don't know who the next hire might be, but the ones in charge of this hiring process have to do what's best for the program, school, and the kids. Success won't be found around trying to please everyone, because that's impossible. I'm hoping for the best and I'll support whoever the next hire is 100% just like I supported Brewer.
I think Derossett would laugh in their face if they asked him to come back after how he was let go. I bet he is sitting back laughing at what’s happened since he’s left
(02-13-2024, 11:39 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(02-13-2024, 10:23 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I do believe the folks putting out the feelers and controlling much of this search have the right intentions. I know the haters and trolls aren't going to agree with me, but many are assuming and people on the outside are taking the bait. A LOT of what's being posted is far from truth.

John Derossett...

I think Derossett would laugh in their face if they asked him to come back after how he was let go. I bet he is sitting back laughing at what’s happened since he’s left
Highly possible, but PHS is under a different admin and FCS has a new superintendent. Who knows.
Have to ask him. Let bygones be bygones on both sides
Think of Blackcat football being what it was under him
[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, BlackcatPride32
(02-14-2024, 12:18 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Have to ask him. Let bygones be bygones on both sides
Think of Blackcat football being what it was under him
I would say if the way he left was different, then there would be a possibility.  This year, plus the next few years Magoffin will be loaded with talent.  No way he leaves that to step into a whirlwind of hypocrites and snakes.
But you thought a Pikeville coach would do it.
I want to be very clear here. Magoffin County is never going to win anything in football.
(02-14-2024, 12:39 AM)jetpilot Wrote: But you thought a Pikeville coach would do it.
Yes, because John knows Prestonsburg…Paul learned in a short time and realized it at the last minute.  I did think he would make the move to get a HC position before he took over Pikeville. I know for a fact John won’t go back to Pburg.  

id say you all should reach out to him yourself and see what he says. He’s easy to find.
If Prestonsburg doesn’t reach out he will serve out his days in Salyersville.
Where he will be running clocked by any good team he encounters
I dont see John coming back.. Its possible, but there's a lot of hard feelings on both sides of that play.. Though he does know the Pburg landscape and how things work there.... Maybe it is time to take a chance on a young and up-comer coach? Im not sure at this point...
Just a side note, I think Bill Letton was a better coach but that's just my opinion...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blacksmith's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
(02-14-2024, 12:57 AM)jetpilot Wrote: If Prestonsburg doesn’t reach out he will serve out his days in Salyersville.
Where he will be running clocked by any good team he encounters
I hope you’re about the running clocks, considering my oldest boy will in high school in 2 years
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
I think i should of applied for the coaching job, looks like they are hitting the bottom of the barrel!!
Derossett isn't coming back and that's in the best interest of both parties. As much as I think of Coach D. the program started to decline, during the last three years of his tenure. I believe he was 18-16 during this time, and one of the best classes to come through Prestonsburg left and went to Paintsville. The program is still to this day feeling the effects of the exodus which handed Paintsville a state championship. Not saying it's John's fault, but he was at the helm when this took place. He is arguably the best coach to ever coach at Prestonsburg, but it's foolish to say Prestonsburg's decline began the day he left town.
  • waughdaddy59
(02-14-2024, 10:12 AM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: Derossett isn't coming back and that's in the best interest of both parties. As much as I think of Coach D. the program started to decline, during the last three years of his tenure. I believe he was 18-16 during this time, and one of the best classes to come through Prestonsburg left and went to Paintsville. The program is still to this day feeling the effects of the exodus which handed Paintsville a state championship. Not saying it's John's fault, but he was at the helm when this took place. He is arguably the best coach to ever coach at Prestonsburg, but it's foolish to say Prestonsburg's decline began the day he left town.
Its sad to see the Derossett is still being blamed 7 years later...with all the keyboard coaches and moms and pops out there, heck there should be a staff that can be put together to fix things...dont you think?  

Heres a few numbers I put together for everyone to show that the regular season doesnt matter as you say Derossett went 18-16 his last 3 at pburg...he actually went 17-13 in regular season numbers but check out the breakdown below...

Derossett at Pburg

Overall Regular Season Record     Class 2A Record      District Record     Playoff Record
2015              5-5                                             3-3                       3-2                   0-1
2016              6-4                                             4-2                       4-1                   0-1
2017              6-4                                             5-1                       4-0*                 1-1   *District Champions
Total            17-13                                          12-6                      11-3                  1-3

Brewer 

2021              4-6                                             1-4                       1-4                   N/A
2022              8-2                                             3-2                       1-1                   0-1
2023              5-5                                             4-5                       1-2                   0-1
Total            17-13                                           8-11                      3-7                   0-2

Haywood Last 3 years at Belfry
2021              4-6                                             9-0                       6-0                   5-0*   *State Champs
2022              5-5                                             4-1                       1-1                   1-1
2023              7-3                                             5-1                       4-0*                 1-1     *District Champs
Total             16-14                                         18-2                      11-1                  7-2

Now, some may look at these numbers and have a bunch of excuses and this and that and all this BS...But when I look at these numbers I see the regular season don't mean squat, its the district games and how you finish that matters...
The issues is mummy's and daddies love to see those 10-0 records and the records are all that matters to you all...that's it...as long as you have a 10-0 season you all are happy...now, The last 3 years of Derossett and Brewers campaigns are better than Belfry's last 3 years regular season records...oh my...you mean Belfry went 4-6 in the regular season, lost the first straight 5 games of the season and people started to write them off...and then what happened....they reeled off a state championship and poof, they are Gods again!!

The Regular season records don't mean squat...DeRossett left Prestonsburg with its LAST District championship in 7 years and counting...they were in a 3 team district in 2022 , won 8 games and still didn't win a district title...that was the year of the comeback from the mass exodus...right?  Nope, they dropped off again lets blame it on DeRossett one more time....Lets not take matters into our own hands and take responsibility, lets keep showing and teaching kids to keep blaming our mistakes on other people so we don't look bad....
[-] The following 1 user Likes papabear02's post:
  • BlackcatPride32
Anyone who knows HS FB understands that letting go of a seasoned coach like John D will ruin the program to come.

Same thing happened with Hager and Sheldon Clark, Holcomb and Breathitt, and I'd suspect Pulaski and Hines. PBurg was once a respected and proud program. Shoot maybe the best shot is to beg Donny Daniels to take it over.
[-] The following 2 users Like Real Badman's post:
  • Blackcat 4 Life, Explorer
(02-14-2024, 11:32 AM)papabear02 Wrote:
(02-14-2024, 10:12 AM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: Derossett isn't coming back and that's in the best interest of both parties. As much as I think of Coach D. the program started to decline, during the last three years of his tenure. I believe he was 18-16 during this time, and one of the best classes to come through Prestonsburg left and went to Paintsville. The program is still to this day feeling the effects of the exodus which handed Paintsville a state championship. Not saying it's John's fault, but he was at the helm when this took place. He is arguably the best coach to ever coach at Prestonsburg, but it's foolish to say Prestonsburg's decline began the day he left town.
Its sad to see the Derossett is still being blamed 7 years later...with all the keyboard coaches and moms and pops out there, heck there should be a staff that can be put together to fix things...dont you think?  

Heres a few numbers I put together for everyone to show that the regular season doesnt matter as you say Derossett went 18-16 his last 3 at pburg...he actually went 17-13 in regular season numbers but check out the breakdown below...

Derossett at Pburg

Overall Regular Season Record     Class 2A Record      District Record     Playoff Record
2015              5-5                                             3-3                       3-2                   0-1
2016              6-4                                             4-2                       4-1                   0-1
2017              6-4                                             5-1                       4-0*                 1-1   *District Champions
Total            17-13                                          12-6                      11-3                  1-3

Brewer 

2021              4-6                                             1-4                       1-4                   N/A
2022              8-2                                             3-2                       1-1                   0-1
2023              5-5                                             4-5                       1-2                   0-1
Total            17-13                                           8-11                      3-7                   0-2

2021              4-6                                             9-0                       6-0                   5-0*   *State Champs
2022              5-5                                             4-1                       1-1                   1-1
2023              7-3                                             5-1                       4-0*                 1-1     *District Champs
Total             16-14                                         18-2                      11-1                  7-2

Now, some may look at these numbers and have a bunch of excuses and this and that and all this BS...But when I look at these numbers I see the regular season don't mean squat, its the district games and how you finish that matters...
The issues is mummy's and daddies love to see those 10-0 records and the records are all that matters to you all...that's it...as long as you have a 10-0 season you all are happy...now, The last 3 years of Derossett and Brewers campaigns are better than Belfry's last 3 years regular season records...oh my...you mean Belfry went 4-6 in the regular season, lost the first straight 5 games of the season and people started to write them off...and then what happened....they reeled off a state championship and poof, they are Gods again!!

The Regular season records don't mean squat...DeRossett left Prestonsburg with its LAST District championship in 7 years and counting...they were in a 3 team district in 2022 , won 8 games and still didn't win a district title...that was the year of the comeback from the mass exodus...right?  Nope, they dropped off again lets blame it on DeRossett one more time....Lets not take matters into our own hands and take responsibility, lets keep showing and teaching kids to keep blaming our mistakes on other people so we don't look bad....
I don't think I have ever been a keyboard coach! I respect Derossett and what he did for Prestonsburg, but I just call things as I see them. Believe me, there is plenty of blame to be passed around for the state of the program, but to say there wasn't any cracks in the foundation during the end of Derosett's tenure is being dishonest. John is a great guy and a great coach, but sometimes it's better for both parties to move on regardless of the outcome. Also, how does someone from Magoffin County know so much about the program and why would they be so concerned!
  • Colonel4Life1999
(02-14-2024, 12:44 PM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote:
(02-14-2024, 11:32 AM)papabear02 Wrote:

Derossett at Pburg

Brewer 

I don't think I have ever been a keyboard coach! I respect Derossett and what he did for Prestonsburg, but I just call things as I see them. Believe me, there is plenty of blame to be passed around for the state of the program, but to say there wasn't any cracks in the foundation during the end of Derosett's tenure is being dishonest. John is a great guy and a great coach, but sometimes it's better for both parties to move on regardless of the outcome. Also, how does someone from Magoffin County know so much about the program and why would they be so concerned!

I can think of a few reasons, Blackcat...  Wink
  •  Previous
  • 16(current)
  • Next