Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gonzaga 89 Kentucky 85
Final. Hopefully when Cal goes back to watch this he will see how a coach closes out a game when you are up 3 with under 10 seconds left.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16BBall Fan's post:
  • rookie57
Exactly what I said on the other thread. And any team with decent bigs are just gonna destroy us. I’m beginning to wonder if we will make the tournament.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • Cactus Jack
Our 7-foot Charminators couldn't guard anyone or rebound anything. Is that on Cal?

Have we overestimated how good these players are? Maybe they are just not all that good.
(02-10-2024, 08:44 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Our 7-foot Charminators couldn't guard anyone or rebound anything. Is that on Cal?

Well he did recruit them, but he could when the other team scores every FG but 2 in the 2nd half in the lane you as the coach may try a little zone especially when the other team shot only 4-18-22% from 3 for the game. Hopefully he learned something from Few when you are up 3 with under :10 seconds to play unlike Cal did 11 days ago vs. Florida.
(02-10-2024, 08:54 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote:
(02-10-2024, 08:44 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Our 7-foot Charminators couldn't guard anyone or rebound anything.  Is that on Cal?

Well he did recruit them, but he could when the other team scores every FG but 2 in the 2nd half in the lane you as the coach may try a little zone especially when the other team shot only 4-18-22% from 3 for the game. Hopefully he learned something from Few when you are up 3 with under :10 seconds to play unlike Cal did 11 days ago vs. Florida.

You can't go to zone when you haven't practiced zone.

We have three dudes who are going on 8 foot tall and we had 12 less rebounds that Gonzaga.

Also, Rob Dilly played 4 minutes in the second half and took ZERO shots!!!

Why in holy hell am I on here  talking to myself and watching my foolish feline drinking out my sink!!!  Losing my mind!!!  Get the hell out of the damn sink!!!!

[Image: https://preview.redd.it/what-your-cat-wo...f28bf180bf]
The last time KY lost three straight at home(57 yrs. ago) I was still p!$$ing my pants and eating crayons. 

Lack of physicality--- Gonzaga had 18 offensive rebounds. They have ZERO 7 -footers!!!  We have THREE guys who are going on 8-foot tall and in 41 combined minutes of play, our bigs had  7 rebounds   . Seven rebounds in 41 minutes.

Cannot defend---- Gonzaga came into the game  ranked 106th in adjusted offensive efficiency against quality opponents. Yet, they recorded an outrageous efficiency number of 1.46 pts/ possession against UK.

Bottomline---  Our big men are softer than diarrhea poo and we couldn't defend five Eskimos who had never bounced their first basketball.
Yet another new low
This was a hard one to watch, we are not a very good basketball team right now and Rupp has lost its home court advantage. These kids outside of Shepard have no idea what they are playing for besides getting to the next level. Things gotta change! Cal has to make some tough decisions personally and professionally on turning this around.
Cal isn't going to make any tough decisions because he doesn't care about winning anymore at UK. He's got his millions. He's got his national championship. It's past time for him to be gone from this job. I'm done watching his teams. Done watching UK until he's gone.
(02-10-2024, 11:24 PM)daredevil4life Wrote: Cal isn't going to make any tough decisions because he doesn't care about winning anymore at UK.  He's got his millions. He's got his national championship.  It's past time for him to be gone from this job.  I'm done watching his teams. Done watching UK until he's gone.
I bet you still will watch haha, love how people say this!  I know if you are a true UK fan you cant turn it off for the rest of the season.  Interesting facts 8 players have missed a total of 48 games, Reeves, Shepard, and burks has only been available every game.  Maybe strength and conditioning coach needs fired!!! So easy to say fire CAL, more problems than CAL but it’s the easiest to point out without recommending solutions.  I say we lift the retirement home at Rupp and open up more of a student section.  It’s embarrassing and you can’t even hear them.  Maybe practice more than once a week, stop feeding them lobster tails and maybe nails, maybe just simple common sense.
^^^Let’s blame the strength coach and the fans. Dumber than owl sh!t
(02-10-2024, 11:59 PM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^Let’s blame the strength coach and the fans. Dumber than owl sh!t
Strength coach spends more time with the players than the head coach at a D1 program.  Dummer than owl sh!t.  Being in the building tonight it wasn’t a home court advantage, but oh yea u watched from the couch
You don’t know where I watched fool. And blaming strength coach and fans for losses is more idiotic than I gave you credit for
(02-11-2024, 12:07 AM)jetpilot Wrote: You don’t know where I watched fool. And blaming strength coach and fans for losses is more idiotic than I gave you credit for
You have no clue other than fire Cal, I guess Cal is a high school basketball coach ??.  You do talk about how much we pay Cal and how it’s all his fault because we pay him so much.  You do understand how small that is compared to the machine we have haha!!  It’s a drop in the bucket without even a thought, it’s a grain of salt, with many moving parts and many high paid employees around these kids.  Do you work check out at a piggy wiggly?  Just curious
(02-10-2024, 11:24 PM)daredevil4life Wrote: Cal isn't going to make any tough decisions because he doesn't care about winning anymore at UK.  He's got his millions. He's got his national championship.  It's past time for him to be gone from this job.  I'm done watching his teams. Done watching UK until he's gone.
WADR , your're lying.  Just like every other person who has ever said this. You will be glued to the set for KY v Bearded Rebs .

(02-11-2024, 12:01 AM)Wildcat_blue Wrote:
(02-10-2024, 11:59 PM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^Let’s blame the strength coach and the fans. Dumber than owl sh!t
Strength coach spends more time with the players than the head coach at a D1 program.  Dummer than owl sh!t.  Being in the building tonight it wasn’t a home court advantage, but oh yea u watched from the couch

Rupp has never been the kind of HCA that some other schools have, like Cameron Indoor. Too many wealthy AARP folks taking up space in the lower arena.
But Cal manages to lose there far more than anyone before him
Saw this post from someone online(at least someone is still optimistic):

"UNC, Kansas, Auburn, Alabama and half the top 25 lost this week. Houston struggles to score 50 on any given night. Do you think their fan bases are as whiny? If we had our best interior defender and rebounder available for this game, we win by ten. Would people still be shrieking like Bill Paxson in "Aliens"? Will people call for a new coach after this team not only makes the FF but wins it all? I need to start writing down the names of people posting here to remind them of what they said in February before they claim they "knew all along" this team would make the FF. I have said since the Kansas game this team wins it all, and nothing I have seen makes me believe otherwise. "
Didn’t read it
Excuses
Come on guys just enjoy the journey
Wins and losses don’t matter

Almost went to Lex for the weekend
Would have cost about $1000 for tickets and rooms and eating out

Stayed home and won $500 on spread + money line

$1500 turnaround thanks Cal
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • 16BBall Fan
Gonzaga scored 89 points on 61 turnover-free possessions. 89/61= 1.46 pts/possession. That's abysmal defense , ladies and gentlemen. You simply can't beat good teams defending that poorly.

To put into perspective just how bad Kentucky's defense is, they are currently ranked 159th in the country defensive effeciency, , just below Southern University and just above Cal St. Fullerton. This is 26 spots below Tarleton State.  When adjusted for strength of opponent, which Kenpom does, KY is now ranked 124th in the nation in ADE. 

This puts them just above Liberty but 67 spots below Merrimack. Let me say that again, the University of Kentucky is ranked 67 spots below Merrimack in Adjusted Defensive Efficiency.  I believe the only team to win a national title that was ranked worse than 11th in ADE was Kansas, and I believe they were 17th or 18th. KY is now 124th !!!  Folks, history says you can't compete for a national title with defense anywhere near this poor.  How can a team of guys made up of these kind of athletes be this poor defensively?
Gonzaga is not an offensive juggernaut this season. They came into today's game ranked just 106th in offensive efficiency.  The Cats gave up 89 points in 61 turnover-free possessions to the nation's 106th ranked team in offensive efficiency coming into this game.

We can't defend, BGR friends.  We just can't defend.  G. S. M. (Game . Set. Match.) if we don't find some magic beans and SOON!
Our remaining schedule—Ole Miss, Arkansas, Vandy and Alabama at home. Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, Miss. St. on the road. Other than Vandy at home, are you confident in any of those games? Best case scenario we go 6-2, finish 22-9, plus a loss in SEC tournament, so ten losses heading into tournament. Worst case we go something like 3-5, plus an SEC tournament loss. That gets us to 13 losses. We ain’t even getting in if that happens. Most likely scenario I think is 5-3, plus 1-1 in SEC tourney. That’s 22-11. We slide in, but as maybe a nine, or maybe in the first four. Dayton is lovely in early March I hear.
Gut check time is all you can say, hope they get this figured out. Big changes are soon to come if not. Tennessee fans prob aren’t the happiest either but thrilled to have their coach. We can never let the passion die but we also can’t let it divide

(02-10-2024, 08:44 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Our 7-foot Charminators couldn't guard anyone or rebound anything.  Is that on Cal?

Have we overestimated how good these players are? Maybe they are just not all that good.
I couldn’t agree more, at this point our bigs are absolutely awful.  Things haven’t been the same since Bradshaw got in the rotation.  At this point I wouldn’t even play them but very limited with Mitchell at the 5 and play Russian roulette with the rotation and mis matches.  Dillingham didn’t even get in much the second half; mind boggling.  Run shepherd, Mitchell, thiero, dillingham, and reeves and rotate around that.  Hell with it
(02-11-2024, 09:20 AM)Wildcat_blue Wrote: Gut check time is all you can say, hope they get this figured out.  Big changes are soon to come if not.  Tennessee fans prob aren’t the happiest either but thrilled to have their coach.  We can never let the passion die but we also can’t let it divide

I couldn’t agree more, at this point our bigs are absolutely awful.  Things haven’t been the same since Bradshaw got in the rotation.  At this point I wouldn’t even play them but very limited with Mitchell at the 5 and play Russian roulette with the rotation and mis matches.  Dillingham didn’t even get in much the second half; mind boggling.  Run shepherd, Mitchell, thiero, dillingham, and reeves and rotate around that.  Hell with it

Yeah, at this point just go back to what we were earlier in the season. When Tre's healthy, put him back at the five spot and let most of the  the minutes go to Wagner,  Tre, Reeves, Thiero, Sheppard, and RDilly and then run, run, run and try to have fun, fun, fun !

I predict with pretty high confidence, however,  that this approach will not be followed.

I think there's just too much shuffling in and out of players. It's just not working.  I would argue that ,  in the Cal era... no,  ... hell, forget about the Cal era,  in MY era , which dates back to the 60's,  we have probably never had three better shooters on the team at one time than Reeves, Sheppard and Rdilly.  You have one that might be an All-American this year(Reeves), you have another that scored 21 points in the second half and is a projected first round pick(Shep), and you have a third who will be a NBA All-Star in a few , short years(RDilly).

You know how many minutes these three were on the floor together yesterday? Come, on, take a guess. ...
They were on the floor together for  1.5 minutes !!! Rdilly played 4 total minutes in the second half and took ZERO shots!!!

We did see a lineup , though,  that featured Burks, Thiero, and Ugo.

Please explain, BGR.
FIre CAL.
(02-11-2024, 01:24 PM)plantmanky Wrote: FIre CAL.

That's not an explanation.

Also, what about the last play?  Did you like it? I wasn't a fan of it.  Remember, when Corbin was driving late in the game at Boyle for a tying or go ahead score and, on fourth down, they dialed up that pitch to the halfback , back to the QB thingy? That was a debacle. They had not run that play all season. Predictably, it failed miserably.  You run something, in my opinion, that has worked all season, instead of going to something that hasn't worked, ever!  Kentucky is not a very good lob team. Reed is okay at it but a lob to the guy who is your fifth or sixth option on offense just isn't the play I would have chosen. 

Plus, if you have watched closely all season, when UK goes into that set they had on the final play, it's pretty predictable that they are looking for the lob. Gonzaga was ready for it. Also, Ugo's man is the guy who broke it up. I guess Ugo was in there for a tap in of a miss but he clogged up the lane and allowed the defender to be right on top of the basket and get the deflection. Basically, Ugo was in the way. Just not a good play design, imo. Having said that, I am not a basketball coach and I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn Express for five years, or more.

Get an open look for Reed or Reeves on the last play and I would have lived with the results. You?
(02-11-2024, 01:45 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Also, what about the last play?  Did you like it? I wasn't a fan of it.  Remember, when Corbin was driving late in the game at Boyle for a tying or go ahead score and, on fourth down, they dialed up that pitch to the halfback , back to the QB thingy? That was a debacle. They had not run that play all season. Predictably, it failed miserably.  You run something, in my opinion, that has worked all season, instead of going to something that hasn't worked, ever!  Kentucky is not a very good lob team. Reed is okay at it but a lob to the guy who is your fifth or sixth option on offense just isn't the play I would have chosen. 

Plus, if you have watched closely all season, when UK goes into that set they had on the final play, it's pretty predictable that they are looking for the lob. Gonzaga was ready for it. Also, Ugo's man is the guy who broke it up. I guess Ugo was in there for a tap in of a miss but he clogged up the lane and allowed the defender to be right on top of the basket and get the deflection. Basically, Ugo was in the way. Just not a good play design, imo. Having said that, I am not a basketball coach and I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn Express for five years, or more.

Get an open look for Reed or Reeves  on the last play and I would have lived with the results. You?
Cal too. You don't have to be a coach to know the UK program is in the crapper. Dillingham playing only 4 minutes in the 2nd half is the dumbest Cal thing of all dumb Cal things though. Damn NBA lottery pick and as hot as any player in the world right now. Galactically stupid.
65 marks the age when many people retire from their jobs and begin enjoying some much-needed leisure time with family and friends.

Yesterday marked the first time KY has ever lost three games in a row at Rupp. It also marked the first time in 57 years that that UK has  lost three consecutive home games.  You know what yesterday also marked ?   It was  Coach John Calipari's  65th birthday !!!   Just askin',  is the Universe sending a message?

(02-11-2024, 03:38 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

Get an open look for Reed or Reeves  on the last play and I would have lived with the results. You?
Cal too. You don't have to be a coach to know the UK program is in the crapper. Dillingham playing only 4 minutes in the 2nd half is the dumbest Cal thing of all dumb Cal things though. Damn NBA lottery pick and as hot as any player in the world right now. Galactically stupid.

Dilly took NO shots in the second half. Zip , Zero, Nada, Nil , Donut...  Possible explanations?

(02-11-2024, 03:38 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

Dilly took NO shots in the second half. Zip , Zero, Nada, Nil , Donut...  Possible explanations?
^^^The first explanation that comes to mind is he was on the bench for all but 4 minutes
(02-11-2024, 08:26 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: Our remaining schedule—Ole Miss, Arkansas, Vandy and Alabama at home. Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, Miss. St. on the road.  Other than Vandy at home, are you confident in any of those games? Best case scenario we go 6-2, finish 22-9, plus a loss in SEC tournament, so ten losses heading into tournament. Worst case we go something like 3-5, plus an SEC tournament loss. That gets us to 13 losses. We ain’t even getting in if that happens. Most likely scenario I think is 5-3, plus 1-1 in SEC tourney. That’s 22-11. We slide in, but as maybe a nine, or maybe in the first four. Dayton is lovely in early March I hear.

Remember when Tubby Smith got the nickname "Ten Loss Tubby" and everybody began to hate him and he finally got ran out of town? Good times.
(02-11-2024, 04:05 PM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^The first explanation that comes to mind is he was on the bench for all but 4 minutes

Yep. I mean, why was he on the bench for all but 4 minutes?  To be fair, he didn't play well in the first half and had the worst plus/minus of anyone that played yesterday. His defense was horrible, as usual, but so was everyone's.  All that said, he's still a guy that can go off and score 20 points in 10 minutes.

(02-11-2024, 04:11 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(02-11-2024, 08:26 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: Our remaining schedule—Ole Miss, Arkansas, Vandy and Alabama at home. Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, Miss. St. on the road.  Other than Vandy at home, are you confident in any of those games? Best case scenario we go 6-2, finish 22-9, plus a loss in SEC tournament, so ten losses heading into tournament. Worst case we go something like 3-5, plus an SEC tournament loss. That gets us to 13 losses. We ain’t even getting in if that happens. Most likely scenario I think is 5-3, plus 1-1 in SEC tourney. That’s 22-11. We slide in, but as maybe a nine, or maybe in the first four. Dayton is lovely in early March I hear.

Remember when Tubby Smith got the nickname "Ten Loss Tubby" and everybody began to hate him and he finally got ran out of town? Good times.

The Ten Loss Tubby moniker coincided with the moment in time when a lot of fans realized the REAL reason they hated Tubby... and it had nothing to do with ten losses.  But it is very much a Kentucky Thang.

With the exception of Billy Clyde, Kentucky has had some tremendously successful head coaches. I think at 10-12 years, coach-fan relationships become like a lot of marriages after that amount of time---worn and frazzled. I think KY needs to make a run in the tournament to at least an Elite Eight, or else this relationship will reach a level of rancid toxicity that will make a continuation of the relationship nearly impossible. If UK bows out the first weekend, I wouldn't be surprised to see some fans breaching the gates at Cal's mansion and putting FOR SALE signs on his lawn.