• Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Prestonsburg Open
(01-30-2024, 05:34 PM)Colonel4Life1999 Wrote:
(01-29-2024, 03:30 PM)papabear02 Wrote:
(01-29-2024, 03:26 PM)Colonel4Life1999 Wrote:
(01-29-2024, 02:06 PM)papabear02 Wrote: Like I said before. Sullivan will be the head coach.  It will be announced soon.

How soon we talking?
I would say as early as later today, or tomorrow.  

if my sources are correct, which they have been since the beginning of this search.  

I’ll say this, if he isn’t announced soon, I’d be shocked

haha perfect!
Paul Sullivan is worth the wait my friends...
(01-30-2024, 10:08 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: Paul Sullivan is worth the wait my friends...
Jim Harbaugh and the LA Chargers didn't negotiate 1/10th this long. If/when both sides want it, it should be very quick and easy.
What if he says no?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rainmaker33's post:
  • Belichick
(01-30-2024, 10:53 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(01-30-2024, 10:08 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: Paul Sullivan is worth the wait my friends...
Jim Harbaugh and the LA Chargers didn't negotiate 1/10th this long. If/when both sides want it, it should be very quick and easy.
I don't think this is as comparable as that situation.
(01-30-2024, 10:58 PM)Rainmaker33 Wrote: What if he says no?
Then that tells me McNamee is retiring sooner rather than later
(01-30-2024, 10:58 PM)Rainmaker33 Wrote: What if he says no?

He probably wants to win more rings and not go 0-3 to the other two schools in the county
Has anyone asked him?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Real Badman's post:
  • Belichick
Does Pburg have a deadline they wanted a coach in place? An off season program is critical and they need a coach in place. Thought a decision would be made by the end of January but it hasn’t happened.
(01-31-2024, 12:56 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: Does Pburg have a deadline they wanted a coach in place? An off season program is critical and they need a coach in place. Thought a decision would be made by the end of January but it hasn’t happened.
The principal has no care in the world about football.  He is probably waiting for someone to tell him what to do.
[-] The following 2 users Like papabear02's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, Blacksmith
(01-31-2024, 01:18 PM)papabear02 Wrote: The principal has no care in the world about football.  He is probably waiting for someone to tell him what to do.
This is 100% correct. I think he has a few knowledgeable people in his ear though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatPride32's post:
  • Blacksmith
(01-31-2024, 01:18 PM)papabear02 Wrote:
(01-31-2024, 12:56 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: Does Pburg have a deadline they wanted a coach in place? An off season program is critical and they need a coach in place. Thought a decision would be made by the end of January but it hasn’t happened.
The principal has no care in the world about football.  He is probably waiting for someone to tell him what to do.
And that's one big difference between Pikeville and Prestonsburg. The community cares, The board cares, the Principal and staff cares, right on down to the players who def care. I can understand Sully wanting to be at the helm of his own team, but that will come.  What is it they say?  Good things come to those who wait?
[-] The following 2 users Like Big Five-0-'s post:
  • Colonel4Life1999, papabear02
(01-31-2024, 11:27 AM)Real Badman Wrote: Has anyone asked him?
Yes. It’s not a secret. He has been very open with his peers there. Offers are being made. He wants to be a head coach. He wants to make more $ for his family. He also wants to be at Pikeville. I agree if he stays, it means he just likes it there enough to accept less or it means Coach McNamee is retiring sooner than later and they’ve told him he’s the guy.
[-] The following 4 users Like Belichick's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, Blacksmith, Colonel4Life1999, papabear02

Then why is he the principal? It is shocking to me these guys and gals get these jobs and have 0 clue on how to run a school
(01-31-2024, 03:56 PM)RTruth Wrote:

Then why is he the principal? It is shocking to me these guys and gals get these jobs and have 0 clue on how to run a school

Pburg's principal is more than capable of running a school and an athletic department, dude represented the 15th region for athletics for years when he was at Betsy Layne. Lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes Colonel4Life1999's post:
  • waughdaddy59
(01-31-2024, 03:58 PM)Colonel4Life1999 Wrote:

Pburg's principal is more than capable of running a school and an athletic department, dude represented the 15th region for athletics for years when he was at Betsy Layne. Lol
Respectfully he is a puppet for certain people in the community.  Just ask Brewer how he was forced to resign.  He will tell you the ultimatum.  

Thacker has no clue on how to operate an athletic department. He gets ran over by parents.  

just because you “represent” the 15th region for years doesn’t mean you are qualified.  

Once you get a coach in there that will stand up to the BS and these controlling parents, that program will NEVER get back to a winning level.  Hell, you can’t even compete fin your own county anymore.  Prestonsburg football only lost once in Floyd county since football started in 1925.  Now it’s just a clown show.

Key word "Betsy Layne"! He could care less about making Prestonsburg into a winning program once again. If anything, it looks as if he has tried to sabotage it in the past. We need leadership from an alumni at the High School, not some outsider who has no interest in the betterment of the program.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blackcat 4 Life's post:
  • papabear02
(01-31-2024, 04:29 PM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote:

Key word "Betsy Layne"! He could care less about making Prestonsburg into a winning program once again. If anything, it looks as if he has tried to sabotage it in the past. We need leadership from an alumni at the High School, not some outsider who has no interest in the betterment of the program.
Yes exactly.  I forgot to put that into my rant also
(01-31-2024, 04:27 PM)papabear02 Wrote:

Respectfully he is a puppet for certain people in the community.  Just ask Brewer how he was forced to resign.  He will tell you the ultimatum.  

Thacker has no clue on how to operate an athletic department. He gets ran over by parents.  

just because you “represent” the 15th region for years doesn’t mean you are qualified.  

Once you get a coach in there that will stand up to the BS and these controlling parents, that program will NEVER get back to a winning level.  Hell, you can’t even compete fin your own county anymore.  Prestonsburg football only lost once in Floyd county since football started in 1925.  Now it’s just a clown show.
How exactly does a parent control the coach? When my son played at Belfry we had a parent meeting we had to attend the day of the first practice. Haywood went over expectations and that how each player would act on the field and in the school. Also made it clear it didn’t matter who you were or how much money you made playing time was the best players who gave the team best shot to win. Also made it clear what each player could do to help themselves if they weren’t happy with their playing time. Extra work/film outside of practice hours, etc. You can’t play kids based on who their parents are. If they are that much better everyone will see it and know they should be on the field is how I saw it.
(01-31-2024, 04:47 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(01-31-2024, 01:18 PM)papabear02 Wrote: The principal has no care in the world about football.  He is probably waiting for someone to tell him what to do.

How exactly does a parent control the coach? When my son played at Belfry we had a parent meeting we had to attend the day of the first practice. He went over expectations and that how each player would act on the field and in the school. Also made it clear it didn’t matter who you were or how much money you made playing time was the best players who gave the team best shot to win. Also made it clear what each player could do to help themselves if they weren’t happy with their playing time. Extra work/film outside of practice hours, etc. You can’t play kids based on who their parents are. If they are that much better everyone will see it and know they should be on the field is how I saw it.
Easy when parents are political officials in town and threaten your job if their kid doesn’t get the position they want or playing time.  

most coaches do have those meetings with parents and some other places besides kingdom belfry can’t get away with it.  

if you remember, or if you know…ole ball coach is from Prestonsburg, and got ran out himself along with other notable coaches because of local politics and power controls.
It seems the thought of Sullivan going to Prestonsburg has ruffled some feathers amongst the Pikeville faithful. It seems as if Jet had to take time off from recruiting during the transfer portal, to enlighten the fine folks of Prestonsburg how they are not worthy of their assistant coach. In all seriousness, I think it would be a good move for Sullivan, or any other up and coming coach. Good luck to whoever is hired.
[-] The following 2 users Like Cat Daddy's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, Colonel4Life1999
All bickering, joking and whatever else this thread has been aside. I just hope a coach is hired soon so these kids can get their off-season program started. Regardless of who it is, who makes the call and who is in whose ear, at the end of the day its hard to get the wheels rolling without a guy at the helm. Mountain football is better when the Blackcats are competitive, hopefully they can get someone soon that has long-term goals and everyone in the town can get behind. Only time will tell though.
[-] The following 3 users Like Colonel4Life1999's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, Blacksmith, Old_Trojan
(01-31-2024, 06:05 PM)Colonel4Life1999 Wrote: All bickering, joking and whatever else this thread has been aside. I just hope a coach is hired soon so these kids can get their off-season program started. Regardless of who it is, who makes the call and who is in whose ear, at the end of the day its hard to get the wheels rolling without a guy at the helm. Mountain football is better when the Blackcats are competitive, hopefully they can get someone soon that has long-term goals and everyone in the town can get behind. Only time will tell though.
  Absolutely 100 percent agree, I’m a Floyd Central supporter and absolutely want to beat The Blackcats in every possible way, but right now those kids are the ones suffering from not having a head coach..no matter who they hire..those kids need to be in the Weightroom and doing their off season conditioning ASAP.
[-] The following 3 users Like Old_Trojan's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, Blacksmith, Colonel4Life1999
(01-31-2024, 05:57 PM)Cat Daddy Wrote: It seems the thought of Sullivan going to Prestonsburg has ruffled some feathers amongst the Pikeville faithful. It seems as if Jet had to take time off from recruiting during the transfer portal, to enlighten the fine folks of Prestonsburg how they are not worthy of their assistant coach. In all seriousness, I think it would be a good move for Sullivan, or any other up and coming coach. Good luck to whoever is hired.
Further proof that Sullivan should stay put
(01-31-2024, 06:36 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(01-31-2024, 05:57 PM)Cat Daddy Wrote: It seems the thought of Sullivan going to Prestonsburg has ruffled some feathers amongst the Pikeville faithful. It seems as if Jet had to take time off from recruiting during the transfer portal, to enlighten the fine folks of Prestonsburg how they are not worthy of their assistant coach. In all seriousness, I think it would be a good move for Sullivan, or any other up and coming coach. Good luck to whoever is hired.
Jet, just outta curiosity. Do think it would be somewhat of a career suicide of Sully takes the Pburg job? Don’t you think that when Mac does step down, Paul would still be their first choice whether he’s still in house or the HC at Pburg? Pikeville/Pburg don’t pnn on ay each other anymore and it’s not like he’d be leaving Pikeville to go coach one of their district rivals. As a former Hatfield/McCoy Bowl and college teammate of Sully, I’m stoked for him either way. If he’s the next HC at Pburg, I’ll support him 100%, same if he stays at Pikeville.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
[-] The following 2 users Like Redneck's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, jetpilot
It’s a waiting game right now and no one at Prestonsburg that has anything to do with decision making is pressuring Sullivan. If he wants the job, it’s his. It’s no secret at this point.

As for Ricky Thacker, I don’t know him all that well but I can tell you from the few conversations I’ve had with him he’s VERY serious about Prestonsburg athletics and he wants Friday nights to be something special. He believes Prestonsburg football can be very good now and he wants to make the right hire. Does he have people advising him? I’m sure he does. Anyone with any sense would seek others council.

I think he’s made some really good hires recently, starting with Craig Ratliff/Bryce Tucker, Clay Jamerson, Chase Parsley, and if he can land Sullivan then he’s been pretty spot on with his decision making for Pburg athletics IMO.

As for parents, I mean no one is perfect. When you’re not meeting expectations and you lose to your 3 biggest rivals currently people are going to be frustrated and disappointed. Pikeville experienced a lot of the same under Jackson, Copley, and Howard before Mac was hired back.

Winning fixes everything.

When you hire someone that can handle the pressure, develop the players, attract the coaches, transfers, and athletes in your own halls then winning comes naturally.
[-] The following 3 users Like BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Blacksmith, Colonel4Life1999, Micro-Brew
(01-31-2024, 06:48 PM)Redneck Wrote:
Jet, just outta curiosity. Do think it would somewhat of a career suicide of Sully takes the Pburg job? Don’t you think that when Mac does step down, Paul would still be their first choice whether he’s still in house or the HC at Pburg? Pikeville/Pburg don’t pnn on ay each other anymore and it’s not like he’d be leaving Pikeville to go coach one of their district rivals. As a former Hatfield/McCoy Bowl and college teammate of Sully, I’m stoked for him either way. If he’s the next HC at Pburg, I’ll support him 100%, same if he stays at Pikeville.
I really don't know the answers to any of your questions but I think everyone is on board with you on the bolded.
[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, Redneck
(01-31-2024, 06:56 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(01-31-2024, 06:48 PM)Redneck Wrote:
Jet, just outta curiosity. Do think it would somewhat of a career suicide of Sully takes the Pburg job? Don’t you think that when Mac does step down, Paul would still be their first choice whether he’s still in house or the HC at Pburg? Pikeville/Pburg don’t pnn on ay each other anymore and it’s not like he’d be leaving Pikeville to go coach one of their district rivals. As a former Hatfield/McCoy Bowl and college teammate of Sully, I’m stoked for him either way. If he’s the next HC at Pburg, I’ll support him 100%, same if he stays at Pikeville.
I really don't know the answers to any of your questions but I think everyone is on board with you on the bolded.
I think Sully just got Jets approval to head up 23 to the 41653 

Wink
(01-31-2024, 06:51 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: It’s a waiting game right now and no one at Prestonsburg that has anything to do with decision making is pressuring Sullivan. If he wants the job, it’s his. It’s no secret at this point.

As for Ricky Thacker, I don’t know him all that well but I can tell you from the few conversations I’ve had with him he’s VERY serious about Prestonsburg athletics and he wants Friday nights to be something special. He believes Prestonsburg football can be very good now and he wants to make the right hire. Does he have people advising him? I’m sure he does. Anyone with any sense would seek others council.

I think he’s made some really good hires recently, starting with Craig Ratliff/Bryce Tucker, Clay Jamerson, Chase Parsley, and if he can land Sullivan then he’s been pretty spot on with his decision making for Pburg athletics IMO.

As for parents, I mean no one is perfect. When you’re not meeting expectations and you lose to your 3 biggest rivals currently people are going to be frustrated and disappointed. Pikeville experienced a lot of the same under Jackson, Copley, and Howard before Mac was hired back.

When you hire someone that can handle the pressure, develop the players, attract the coaches, transfers, and athletes in your own halls then winning comes naturally.
Exactly my thoughts. If Pburg was winning the district and playing in regional championship games parents would be crazy to say anything but when they haven’t won a playoff game in 6 years people are going to complain.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pirateforlife's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
(01-31-2024, 06:51 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: It’s a waiting game right now and no one at Prestonsburg that has anything to do with decision making is pressuring Sullivan. If he wants the job, it’s his. It’s no secret at this point.

I'm so glad you came here to say this, I am a Pburg outsider but I feel as if Prestonsburg athletics as a whole is in a much better spot than it was 4-5 years ago and it is hard to deny that fact. Parents will never, ever be entirely pleased no matter what the case is but a lot of things will be forgiven if Pburg Football gets back to being Pburg Football.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Colonel4Life1999's post:
  • BlackcatAlum

Makes sense to me...Thacker is from Raccoon in Pike Co. Football isn't a thought over there. Probably was a stud on the Kimper basketball team.
  •  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next