•  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Prestonsburg Open
I know of a few young guys who have applied. Names that might not be the sexy name hire you see talked about right now but they’ll be those names if given a chance.
(01-25-2024, 01:15 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: Sounds like they are just waiting on an answer then. But I’ve seen people on here saying guys who won the C team championship would be good options. That’s great but coaching 4th grade or whatever grade C team is does not compare to coaching at the high school level. That’s like saying hey I’m a great high school coach let me apply for the Cincinnati Bengals job. It feels like Pburg is going have to make an offer that’s just too good to pass up for Sullivan to leave Pikeville.

I believe some people are just throwing out names to get a laugh. If Sullivan was Pikeville's head coach, then it would be insane for him to leave Pikeville for the Prestonsburg job, but he's not. He may be a guy who is looking to take the next step in his coaching career by being a head coach. Who knows when McNamee will retire, and we all know things can change in a blink of an eye when it comes to politics and who may replace McNamee when he decides to step down. Nothing in this life is certain! I don't know Sullivan from Adam, but he seems to be well respected and people seem to have faith in him as a head coach, rather it be at Pikeville, Prestonsburg, or somewhere else. 

Don't get me wrong, there are some difficult people within the program from the feeder system on up. They not only consist of dad's, but there are a few mothers/grandmothers who are just as bad or not worse. My point is all programs have difficult people, but we need a coach who is going to stand up to these people and say it's "either my way or the highway", while producing positive results on the field. If that happens I truly believe everything else will fall into place. Prestonsburg is a good job, with a lot of good people who support the program and want nothing more than to field a winning product and with the right coach it can happen. There is talent at the high school, middle school, and elementary level. There isn't any excuse with the current alignment why Prestonsburg couldn't win the district this year, and possibly have a shot at a regional title. 2A football in Eastern Kentucky isn't that strong, and we were blessed to be in weak district and aligned with another weak district during the playoffs. We aren't playing Beechwood, Somerset, or Breathitt in the first three rounds of the playoffs, but rather competing against Shelby Valley, Betsy Layne, and Pike Central. With the right person at the helm, the tradition that we all are accustomed to, could return.
[-] The following 3 users Like Blackcat 4 Life's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, BlackcatPride32, Red and Black
(01-24-2024, 03:42 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Stranger things have happened I guess but this would be a horrible mistake.
I can’t imagine going from Kroger Field every year to the two biggest games being Floyd Central and Betsy Layne.
 If he leaves, it is apparent, to me, he has talked to Mac and Mac doesn’t plan on retiring in the next 5 years. 

Plan could be to get head coaching experience and be completely ready when Pikeville comes calling. 

Just my 2 cents.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 2000PHS's post:
  • Redneck
Tick Tock Tick Tock
Does FCS pay anywhere near PIS
So Sullivan is the target.

What’s the backup plan?
I heard Burchett is there if he doesn’t get a college or pro job.

Will be short term fix but will allow Newsome to get some more years

Think there’s another young applicant who has a chance
(01-26-2024, 09:19 AM)2000PHS Wrote:
(01-24-2024, 03:42 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Stranger things have happened I guess but this would be a horrible mistake.
I can’t imagine going from Kroger Field every year to the two biggest games being Floyd Central and Betsy Layne.
 If he leaves, it is apparent, to me, he has talked to Mac and Mac doesn’t plan on retiring in the next 5 years. 

Plan could be to get head coaching experience and be completely ready when Pikeville comes calling. 

Just my 2 cents.
I thought about that myself. Get a few years of HC experience while turning Pburg back around.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
RUMOR ALERT

Sources say that Sullivan will be HC, Burchett will be OC
(01-26-2024, 07:09 PM)papabear02 Wrote: RUMOR ALERT

If that happens there will be some crow to eat in this thread. Being told neither were possible to getting both would be comical
(01-26-2024, 07:31 PM)Rainmaker33 Wrote:

If that happens there will be some crow to eat in this thread. Being told neither were possible to getting both would be comical
I have heard the same and Nick Saban is going to be the defensive coordinator. Sounds like Sullivan is putting together one heck of a staff. Pburg hit a grand slam on this one it appears
[-] The following 2 users Like pirateforlife's post:
  • waughdaddy59, Westside
(01-26-2024, 08:00 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:

I have heard the same and Nick Saban is going to be the defensive coordinator. Sounds like Sullivan is putting together one heck of a staff. Pburg hit a grand slam on this one it appears
Sullivan doesn’t need Saban. Paul is one of the best DC’s in the state himself. 

As for that rumor, I have heard from a very reliable source that Burchett has indeed said that he would be the OC if Pburg hires a coach before he hears from a few other coaching positions that he has applied for, if the new HC would have him.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH

Big Grin
Wildest dand thing I’ve ever heard and seen lol

My questions is does PBurg get a ton of transfers if this happens
[-] The following 1 user Likes RTruth's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
(01-26-2024, 10:32 PM)RTruth Wrote: Wildest dand thing I’ve ever heard and seen lol

My questions is does PBurg get a ton of transfers if this happens
Yes the transfer portal will be hot.
(01-26-2024, 05:56 PM)Redneck Wrote:
(01-26-2024, 09:19 AM)2000PHS Wrote:

Just my 2 cents.
I thought about that myself. Get a few years of HC experience while turning Pburg back around.
I get what you and 2000 are saying, but still not buying in. 

The best place for Sullivan to prepare to be HC at Pikeville is at Pikeville. Not Prestonsburg, Phelps, Jenkins or anywhere else.
Why come back in 5 years (your all's # not mine) and not know any of the players or parents etc and basically start from scratch? And think about all the big names who would want the Pikeville job when it comes open. Sorry but I won't be trying to steal Prestonsburg's HC. 

In my mind 2 reasons he would make the move to Prestonsburg - more money (substantially more, very doubtful), and his wife wants him to (who knows). 

I'm sticking with my opinion and we will revisit this thread - would be an all-time bad career blunder to leave Pikeville for Prestonsburg and won't happen.
Jet is deeply concerned.

I’ve not seen him like this before. We’re treading in new water here folks.

;)
Something else to think about. If the Pikeville DC job comes open think about all the great applicants. Then that person is in the driver's seat for next Pikeville HC.
(01-27-2024, 12:37 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: Jet is deeply concerned.

I’ve not seen him like this before. We’re treading in new water here folks.

Wink

As concerned as it gets going for a 4-peat lol. Just messing with ya BA but I speak the truth.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
(01-27-2024, 12:39 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Something else to think about. If the Pikeville DC job comes open think about all the great applicants. Then that person is in the driver's seat for next Pikeville HC.
I’d say Mac will hand pick who he wants as his replacement. Sullivan will be choice #1 whether he’s at Pikeville or Prestonsburg.
(01-27-2024, 01:02 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(01-27-2024, 12:39 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Something else to think about. If the Pikeville DC job comes open think about all the great applicants. Then that person is in the driver's seat for next Pikeville HC.
I’d say Mac will hand pick who he wants as his replacement. Sullivan will be choice #1 whether he’s at Pikeville or Prestonsburg.

Disagree.
As of now, next season is Coach Mac’s last. Sullivan will be the head coach at Pikeville in 2025. Everything can and does change but that is the plan. If Mac says he plans to Coach 5, 10, 20 more years, maybe that changes but some posts on here are just not true. Stirring the pot.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Belichick's post:
  • jetpilot
(01-26-2024, 09:57 PM)Redneck Wrote:

Sullivan doesn’t need Saban. Paul is one of the best DC’s in the state himself. 

As for that rumor, I have heard from a very reliable source that Burchett has indeed said that he would be the OC if Pburg hires a coach before he hears from a few other coaching positions that he has applied for, if the new HC would have him.
Here is the truth…… Sullivan isn’t leaving Pikeville for PBurg. Facilities and community support would be worse as would pay. His teaching salary alone is about $8500 more than what Floyd County pays. Also, Head Coach Stipend is $7500 in Floyd, but he probably makes $5000 as assistant there. So roughly a 6 grand loss in Salary, plus all the gas he would use to and from. Makes no sense financially, unless he is dying to be a head coach. My guess is he waits 1-2 years on MAC retiring and steps in. But if MAC plans to stay 10 more years, I could see Sullivan trying it, but again, he would lose $$$. And playing in December every year is fun. 

As for Burchett, he is between jobs right now with Holgerson leaving. I know he has been in town and probably told the old men that he grew and around and respects that he might be interested out of respect. Realistically, that would be a pipe dream. If he plans to make coaching his future, as I am sure he does, that would be a terrible move professionally for networking.
Burchett is a real possibility if he doesn’t get another college job.
I know what my sources have told me about Sullivan and what the offer looks like. Things might change and change quickly, but like I’ve said before, I feel good about where Pburg stands right now.

Pikeville is going to be fine regardless.
(01-27-2024, 01:27 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I know what my sources have told me about Sullivan and what the offer looks like. Things might change and change quickly, but like I’ve said before, I feel good about where Pburg stands right now.

I agree.  It’s unfortunate for the other applicants because Pburg is holding out on two decisions before they interview other candidates.  

1. waiting on confirmation to settle a deal with Sullivan to be the HC 

2. waiting on confirmation for Burchett to agree to be the OC.  This hire will be temporary but could be an instant impact on the program.  Burchett will get a College job no matter what he does.
[-] The following 2 users Like papabear02's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, BlackcatPride32
(01-27-2024, 01:27 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I know what my sources have told me about Sullivan and what the offer looks like. Things might change and change quickly, but like I’ve said before, I feel good about where Pburg stands right now.

Now if I’m Sullivan and Pburg offered me free golf up at Stonecrest anytime I wanted it that might be a done deal
[-] The following 1 user Likes pirateforlife's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
If Mac plans to retire in 3 or less years, he should stay. Also, if I’m Pikeville I don’t just turn the keys over to him. I think you HAVE TO do your due diligence and see who is interested in one of the best jobs in Kentucky. You never know who might jump at that opportunity.
I think whoever they decide to hire they need to make a decision soon so the coach can get to know the kids and the kids can know the coach. Plus the coach will need to implement an off season program. If this job came open 15 years ago you’d have some big time names to choose from. I just don’t think the job draws the same attraction that it would have 15-20 years ago
[-] The following 1 user Likes pirateforlife's post:
  • waughdaddy59
Sullivan may take the Pburg job, he coached at Paintsville for a year IIRC a few years ago
  •  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next