•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Prestonsburg Open
(01-24-2024, 01:46 PM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: Regardless of what people are saying from Pikeville, Sullivan is very interested. Letton is interested as well, but that chatter has died down over the past couple of days, similar to the Burchett talk. If a contract can be worked out I’m hearing Sullivan could be the next coach.
Bet $1000 to a doughnut with a bite out of it, never happens.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Big Five-0-
(01-24-2024, 03:02 PM)papabear02 Wrote: It will be Sullivan
That ol dog aint gonna hunt. Why in the world would he walk away from what he has here at Pikeville and walk into a cesspool of politics at P burg?  We know his wife is from there and no doubt he has friends there. Jmo, if he's patient and stays where he's at, then there are great things that lie ahead for him. If he wanted to take a chance and get mired up in politics and "Daddy ball" he can do that at any county school that has an opening here in Pike county.
Stranger things have happened I guess but this would be a horrible mistake.
I can’t imagine going from Kroger Field every year to the two biggest games being Floyd Central and Betsy Layne.
  • Micro-Brew
That made me laugh JP
[-] The following 1 user Likes Micro-Brew's post:
  • jetpilot
(01-24-2024, 03:42 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Stranger things have happened I guess but this would be a horrible mistake.
I can’t imagine going from Kroger Field every year to the two biggest games being Floyd Central and Betsy Layne.
Money could be a motivating factor. If he gets a significant pay raise to take the job would be hard to turn down.
(01-24-2024, 04:08 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(01-24-2024, 03:42 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Stranger things have happened I guess but this would be a horrible mistake.
Money could be a motivating factor. If he gets a significant pay raise to take the job would be hard to turn down.
That was the issue with Jordan Ray.  Pburg won’t pony up.  They have nothing to offer above the $7500 coaching stipend. Now if they offer the AD position, that would add an additional $7500, because Brewer was AD as well.  Now depending on his teaching salary if Sullivan is a teacher.   

GRC promoted JRay to a director position of special education to increase pay.
[-] The following 1 user Likes papabear02's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
If Sullivan leaves Pikeville it makes me wonder why, he is the next head coach.
Sullivan isn't going anywhere. He's helped transform Pikeville into the program is it today, and he will be handed they keys once McNamee retires.
If Sullivan is a head coach this fall it'll be because Coach Mac decides to retire, no other way I see that one happening
The audacity of an assistant coach at Pikeville to show interest in a head coaching position at lowly Prestonsburg! Some of you act as if this is an insult that Sullivan is interested. Being interested doesn’t mean he’s leaving, but there is a mutual interest.
[-] The following 3 users Like Blackcat 4 Life's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, BlackcatPride32, Diogenes
Prestonsburg will probably end up forced to hire the Newsome guy that was on Brewer’s staff due to other candidates turning the job down. It’s hard to run a program when you don’t have everyone pulling the rope in the same direction and that’s what seemed to happen with Brewer. If you’re forced to play players based on who their parents are then you’re going to fail.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pirateforlife's post:
  • waughdaddy59
I feel good about where Prestonsburg stands currently with Sullivan. He’d be a HOME RUN hire for Prestonsburg.

Things can change quickly, but I feel like Prestonsburg is going to throw everything they have at him and it’s up to him.

Prestonsburg is a great job for the right person and I feel like Paul Sullivan can handle the pressure and mold this program back into a winning one. It’s already a proud program with some of the best facilities in class 2A.

Like I’ve said before, you can win now at Prestonsburg. Sprinkle in some transfers and you have a top 10 team in 2A before the season starts.
[-] The following 2 users Like BlackcatAlum's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, Red and Black
What happened to Burchett? I thought he had already bought a 1,000 acre thoroughbred horse farm at StoneCrest or was it a private island on Dewey Lake. I am in complete shock we aren't hearing more about this. All kidding aside, it wasn't that long ago that Prestonsburg was one of the better programs in eastern Kentucky.
(01-24-2024, 08:48 PM)Westside Wrote: What happened to Burchett?  I thought he had already bought a 1,000 acre thoroughbred horse farm at StoneCrest or was it a private island on Dewey Lake.  I am in complete shock we aren't hearing more about this.  All kidding aside, it wasn't that long ago that Prestonsburg was one of the better programs in eastern Kentucky.
LOL

Michael Burchett cares about the program. He'll always be an asset to whoever is coaching the program, but like I've said before in this thread, "he's bigger than this program." I think he wants to coach professional ball and work his way up there and I could see him doing it. Very intelligent person that loves football.

I'd love to have him host a QB/Skills camp during the spring/summer months at Prestonsburg. I think that would be successful.
(01-24-2024, 07:32 PM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: The audacity of an assistant coach at Pikeville to show interest in a head coaching position at lowly Prestonsburg! Some of you act as if this is an insult that Sullivan is interested. Being interested doesn’t mean he’s leaving, but there is a mutual interest.

Not a knock on Prestonsburg, Pikeville fans don't want to lose him. Giving up being HC at Pikeville in the not too distant future to be HC at Prestonsburg right now would be a really bad decision. I'm sorry but that is just a fact. I think he would regret it in short order.
(01-24-2024, 10:44 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(01-24-2024, 07:32 PM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: The audacity of an assistant coach at Pikeville to show interest in a head coaching position at lowly Prestonsburg! Some of you act as if this is an insult that Sullivan is interested. Being interested doesn’t mean he’s leaving, but there is a mutual interest.

Not a knock on Prestonsburg, Pikeville fans don't want to lose him. Giving up being HC at Pikeville in the not too distant future to be HC at Prestonsburg right now would be a really bad decision. I'm sorry but that is just a fact. I think he would regret it in short order.
How would you know he wouldn’t come back to Pikeville? He’d have some head coaching experience  if he does go to Pburg? I don’t know him personally but it seems if he does leave Pburg has given him whatever he’s asked for. If you had a chance to leave your job for much more money I’m sure you’d do the same
(01-24-2024, 10:49 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:

How would you know he wouldn’t come back to Pikeville? He’d have some head coaching experience  if he does go to Pburg? I don’t know him personally but it seems if he does leave Pburg has given him whatever he’s asked for. If you had a chance to leave your job for much more money I’m sure you’d do the same

Don't know where you keep getting more money.

Do you believe Sullivan taking the Prestonsburg job would jeopardize him being the next head coach at Pikeville? I know others would want that job, but we all know Paul is the favorite as things stand today if McNamee hangs it up.
What were the reasons Mac left Pikeville the first time in early 2000's? He's way too young to "retire", so would Sullivan be willing to sit behind him another 10-15 years?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(01-24-2024, 10:55 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(01-24-2024, 10:49 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:

Don't know where you keep getting more money.
Mcnamee is in his mid 50’s. Figured he’d Coach at least 5 more years. If Sullivan wants to be a head coach and is offered Pburg job why shouldn’t he take it?
(01-24-2024, 11:34 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:

Do you believe Sullivan taking the Prestonsburg job would jeopardize him being the next head coach at Pikeville? I know others would want that job, but we all know Paul is the favorite as things stand today if McNamee hangs it up.
I'll answer a question with a question. How does it make any sense for him or Prestonsburg for him to go there for a year, maybe two only to go back to Pikeville? Lots of speculation, wishing and hoping on here, me included lol. I don't see it happening. I will bow out of this discussion now and wait and see like everyone else.
They probably need to hire someone sooner than later. What did they have going on now. Weights? Conditioning? Do alot of the players play basketball or wrestle?
(01-25-2024, 06:03 AM)jetpilot Wrote:

I'll answer a question with a question. How does it make any sense for him or Prestonsburg for him to go there for a year, maybe two only to go back to Pikeville? Lots of speculation, wishing and hoping on here, me included lol. I don't see it happening. I will bow out of this discussion now and wait and see like everyone else.

For Prestonsburg, he's worth the gamble. Paul Sullivan is exactly what Prestonsburg needs and I think this job can be a great job for him whether that's for 2 years or 20. This is after all a football school and football town. He grew up and played when Prestonsburg was rolling. Support for the program and him will be there. He'll have respect and he'll have a team that can win a district championship in year one.
(01-25-2024, 08:40 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:

For Prestonsburg, he's worth the gamble. Paul Sullivan is exactly what Prestonsburg needs and I think this job can be a great job for him whether that's for 2 years or 20. This is after all a football school and football town. He grew up and played when Prestonsburg was rolling. Support for the program and him will be there. He'll have respect and he'll have a team that can win a district championship in year one.
So going from winning 4 state championships in 5 years and heavily favored to win another one this year to MAYBE winning the weakest 2A district in the state (big maybe). Sounds lovely.
I'm sorry guys I really wish Prestonsburg the best. But you guys can argue until you're blue in the face why it would make sense for any coach or player to leave Pikeville and go to Prestonsburg in the year 2024. But deep down everybody knows better. It would be worse than a terrible move, it would be borderline insane. Will Sullivan make the move? I have no idea. I'm out.
  • waughdaddy59
(01-25-2024, 08:53 AM)jetpilot Wrote:
(01-24-2024, 10:44 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Not a knock on Prestonsburg, Pikeville fans don't want to lose him. Giving up being HC at Pikeville in the not too distant future to be HC at Prestonsburg right now would be a really bad decision. I'm sorry but that is just a fact. I think he would regret it in short order.

So going from winning 4 state championships in 5 years and heavily favored to win another one this year to MAYBE winning the weakest 2A district in the state (big maybe). Sounds lovely.
True but if he built Prestonsburg into a winner it’d prove he can build a program. If he can turn them into what Shelby Valley has been lately I think that’s a success. David Jones was on the Belfry staff when they were winning all the state championships. He left to take over Phelps. He knew he wasn’t winning a state championship at Phelps but he turned a program that hadn’t won a game in like 3 years to consistently winning 5-6 games a year.

(01-25-2024, 09:01 AM)jetpilot Wrote: I'm sorry guys I really wish Prestonsburg the best. But you guys can argue until you're blue in the face why it would make sense for any coach or player to leave Pikeville and go to Prestonsburg in the year 2024. But deep down everybody knows better. It would be worse than a terrible move, it would be borderline insane. Will Sullivan make the move? I have no idea. I'm out.
My kids have already graduated but I still keep up with high school football in the area. I probably wouldn’t take the job cause of the political bs that ran Brewer off. But he also had 6 seasons and didn’t win a playoff game. Probably was time for a change but did seem like he had people fighting against him from year 1 which made it more difficult
(01-25-2024, 08:53 AM)jetpilot Wrote:
(01-24-2024, 10:44 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Not a knock on Prestonsburg, Pikeville fans don't want to lose him. Giving up being HC at Pikeville in the not too distant future to be HC at Prestonsburg right now would be a really bad decision. I'm sorry but that is just a fact. I think he would regret it in short order.

I see what you’re saying, everyone has their own ambitions. I don’t know his and I won’t pretend to. Sounds like he’s got a good thing going at Pikeville and he may be content and willing to wait for his opportunity there. That’s understandable.

With or without Sullivan, Pikeville football is going to be fine. As long as they’re in class 1A they’ll hardly be challenged.
Who besides Sullivan is Pburg seriously considering? I’ve seen names on here but some just sound silly. Has Pburg put all their chips into Sullivan or are they still considering other choices
(01-25-2024, 11:10 AM)pirateforlife Wrote: Who besides Sullivan is Pburg seriously considering? I’ve seen names on here but some just sound silly. Has Pburg put all their chips into Sullivan or are they still considering other choices

I think they are all in on Sullivan. The other candidates would be a step (or two) below Sullivan, and I believe would accept at any time.
(01-25-2024, 01:08 PM)BlackcatPride32 Wrote:
(01-25-2024, 11:10 AM)pirateforlife Wrote: Who besides Sullivan is Pburg seriously considering? I’ve seen names on here but some just sound silly. Has Pburg put all their chips into Sullivan or are they still considering other choices

I think they are all in on Sullivan. The other candidates would be a step (or two) below Sullivan, and I believe would accept at any time.
Sounds like they are just waiting on an answer then. But I’ve seen people on here saying guys who won the C team championship would be good options. That’s great but coaching 4th grade or whatever grade C team is does not compare to coaching at the high school level. That’s like saying hey I’m a great high school coach let me apply for the Cincinnati Bengals job. It feels like Pburg is going have to make an offer that’s just too good to pass up for Sullivan to leave Pikeville.
[-] The following 3 users Like pirateforlife's post:
  • Blackcat 4 Life, BlackcatPride32, HowBoutThemBlackcats
  •  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next