Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4A is Strong
There are six undefeated teams in KY that have at least one win against a current top 25 team. They are all in 4A
Boyle Co
Corbin
Franklin Co
Ashland
Tilghman
Cov Cath
4A is gonna be wild 
[-] The following 5 users Like Deuce8's post:
  • Advicegiver74, Bull got out!, Nygfan106wins, Rip/Spin, Westside
4A MAY have the two best teams in the state of Kentucky.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Bull got out!
(10-16-2023, 01:11 AM)I’m Old School Hound Wrote: 4A  MAY have the two best teams in the state of Kentucky.
I agree Boyle County and Ashland are looking pretty good so far.
[-] The following 2 users Like Tomcat Pride's post:
  • KnoxvillesFinest, Shogun
(10-16-2023, 10:10 AM)Tomcat Pride Wrote:
(10-16-2023, 01:11 AM)I’m Old School Hound Wrote: 4A  MAY have the two best teams in the state of Kentucky.
If Ashland can get the W this Friday I look for these 2 teams to hook up week 3 of the playoffs.
(10-16-2023, 01:11 AM)I’m Old School Hound Wrote: 4A  MAY have the two best teams in the state of Kentucky.

Humor always has its place. I'd love to see the Tomcats in this conversation but Boyle and Cov Cath are in a two horse race with the rest of the undefeated 4A teams left back in the barn trying to win the trophy given to the first horse not in the actual race.
[-] The following 2 users Like i82much's post:
  • KnoxvillesFinest, Shogun
(10-16-2023, 11:57 AM)Rebel55 Wrote:
If Ashland can get the W this Friday I look for these 2 teams to hook up week 3 of the playoffs.

Indeed...

If Ashland beats JC , then on Nov. 17 :
Ashland @ Boyle
Corbin @ Cov. Cath

If Ashland falters down the stretch, then Corbin@ Boyle.
What happens if Boyle was to lose next week at Frederick Douglass? How do you see the 3rd round games?
(10-16-2023, 01:58 PM)i82much Wrote:

Humor always has its place. I'd love to see the Tomcats in this conversation but Boyle and Cov Cath are in a two horse race with the rest of the undefeated 4A teams left back in the barn trying to win the trophy given to the first horse not in the actual race.

Corbin is the best team in 4A Smile
Boyle County is the best team until someone can beat them in 4A!
[-] The following 9 users Like Bull got out!'s post:
  • Colonel4Life1999, Deuce8, HighViz, Hound05, i82much, Jack Lambert, Rebel55, Rip/Spin, The Red Eminence
(10-18-2023, 07:07 AM)pjdoug Wrote:
(10-16-2023, 01:58 PM)i82much Wrote:

Corbin is the best team in 4A Smile

You may very well be correct. I know nothing about Corbin or Cov Cath other than looking at their schedules on the KHSAA website. Just going by the fact that Boyle is the defending champion and Cov Cath is historically crazy good. Nothing scientific here, just an opinion. Since I don't think my Tomcats have arrived yet a Corbin state championship wouldn't bother me a bit. A new face may be refreshing. Good luck!
(10-18-2023, 01:16 AM)Footballfan33 Wrote: What happens if Boyle was to lose next week at Frederick Douglass? How do you see the 3rd round games?

I'd have to do the math(so don't quote me just yet) but if Boyle were to lose and Ashland wins out over JC and SK, then it would probably be  Boyle at Cov. Cath  and Corbin at Ashland. If that scenario plays out it could then set up a fourth round of Boyle at Franklin and Corbin at Paducah T.
I expect Boyle to beat FD and JC to win over Ashland. If that happens, then we are probably looking at : Ashland at Cov. Cath and Corbin at Boyle.

That could set up a potential Corbin/Boyle winner at Franklin and PT at Cov Cath in round 4 , or , if Cov Cath passes FC in RPI it would be:

Corbin/Boyle winner at Cov Cath and PT at Franklin Co.

Keep in mind, also, that if Ashland wins out against JC and SK, the RPI difference between Ashland and Boyle will be razor thin and could go either way, That would determine if that third round game would be at Ashland or Danville.

The big game for seeding purposes this week is in Paintsville , with Ashland visiting JC. That will answer a lot of third round playoff questions.
(10-18-2023, 11:53 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: I expect Boyle to beat FD and JC to win over Ashland. If that happens, then we are probably looking at :  Ashland at Cov. Cath  and Corbin at Boyle.

That could set up a potential  Corbin/Boyle winner at Franklin  and PT at Cov Cath in round 4  , or , if Cov Cath passes FC in RPI it would be:

Corbin/Boyle winner at Cov Cath  and PT at Franklin Co.

Keep in mind, also, that if Ashland wins out against JC and SK, the RPI difference between Ashland and Boyle will be razor thin and could go either way, That would determine if that third round game would be at Ashland or Danville.

The big game for seeding purposes this week is in Paintsville ,  with Ashland visiting JC. That will answer a lot of third round playoff questions.
I agree 100%.  It's just so close now.  I would think Ashland would pass Boyle in the RPI if both win out.  I also think that both teams will pass Paducah Tilghman if they win out as Calloway and 1A Russellville will hurt them while Boyle - Ashland finish with a 6A school.

Paducah Tilghman 380 141 8 - 0 4 - 0 4 - 0 .77490
Boyle County 404 110 8 - 0 3 - 0 3 - 0 .74353
Ashland Blazer 372 111 8 - 0 4 - 0 3 - 0 .74309

Calloway County is 2-6 (RPI 36th. out of 42 in 4A ) and 1A Russellville is 1-7 ( RPI 29th of 32 teams)

(10-18-2023, 01:05 PM)Rebel55 Wrote:
(10-18-2023, 11:53 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: I expect Boyle to beat FD and JC to win over Ashland. If that happens, then we are probably looking at :  Ashland at Cov. Cath  and Corbin at Boyle.

That could set up a potential  Corbin/Boyle winner at Franklin  and PT at Cov Cath in round 4  , or , if Cov Cath passes FC in RPI it would be:

Corbin/Boyle winner at Cov Cath  and PT at Franklin Co.

The big game for seeding purposes this week is in Paintsville ,  with Ashland visiting JC. That will answer a lot of third round playoff questions.
I agree 100%.  It's just so close now.  I would think Ashland would pass Boyle in the RPI if both win out.  I also think that both teams will pass Paducah Tilghman if they win out as Calloway and 1A Russellville will hurt them while Boyle - Ashland finish with a 6A school.

Paducah Tilghman 380 141 8 - 0 4 - 0 4 - 0 .77490
Boyle County      404 110 8 - 0 3 - 0 3 - 0 .74353
Ashland Blazer 372 111 8 - 0 4 - 0 3 - 0 .74309

Calloway County is 2-6 (RPI 36th. out of 42 in 4A ) and 1A Russellville is 1-7 ( RPI 29th of 32 teams) If that would happen that could be huge as to who the 4th. round plays.  
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rebel55's post:
  • The Red Eminence
^^^^

Not that it matters, really, where a potential Boyle -Ashland game would be played. Boyle wins easily at either venue.
(10-18-2023, 05:44 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: ^^^^

Not that it matters, really, where a potential Boyle -Ashland game would be played. Boyle wins easily at either venue.

That's true, we have no misconceptions. Probably a moot hypothetical anyway since our chances of winning the next two games is at best 50/50 so a home playoff game against Boyle, Corbin, or Cov Cath won't happen. If we do win out and the math goes our way then a home game against any of the teams mentioned would be cool, even with the thumping.
(10-18-2023, 07:32 PM)i82much Wrote:

That's true, we have no misconceptions. Probably a moot hypothetical anyway since our chances of winning the next two games is at best 50/50 so a home playoff game against Boyle, Corbin, or Cov Cath won't happen. If we do win out and the math goes our way then a home game against any of the teams mentioned would be cool, even with the thumping.
Go back and look at some old threads and the actual score. A lot of people have trouble remembering year after year. I’ve seen post, and many at that, that say “Boyle will run through the competition all the way to Kroger” and “JC will put a clock on everyone until the championship” and “Corbin will smash everyone in front of them until they meet boyle”. Some region games have been close calls, not a whole lot since RPI but a few. But semi’s, very rarely a blowout. At that point, teams are closer than what most want to admit. 

boyle and central and Corbin and Franklin were some pretty close games. 2020 JC had a close region game with us and even closer semi. Boyle had the somewhat rare blowout that year in the semi. But I remember some comments the last few years by each one of those fan bases. I think a team out west might surprise a few this year. Probably not with a W. But with the score.
[-] The following 2 users Like Hound05's post:
  • ontopofthewest, The Red Eminence
I agree with the above stated by hound... the mention of PT has been scarce.... I say they can go toe to toe with corbin or boyle.. One of the best teams iv seen them have in my 40yrs.. speed an size all over the field an the transfers have lived up to the hype.. the stunner is going to be when it is not just the score but its the "W" ..
(10-19-2023, 02:31 AM)ontopofthewest Wrote: I agree with the above stated by hound... the mention of PT has been scarce.... I say they can go toe to toe with corbin or boyle.. One of the best teams iv seen them have in my 40yrs.. speed an size all over the field an the transfers have lived up to the hype.. the stunner is going to be when it is not just the score but its the "W" ..

Shhhhhhhh..... let them sleep on us!
Boyle is the champ unless someone takes the crown, but I think we are prepared for a run in the playoffs.
There is zero room for errors in this 4A group, you will play your best or go home. Playoff time will surely be interesting.
[-] The following 1 user Likes truebluefan89's post:
  • HighViz
I’m leaning toward the Hounds this year. Boyle is awfully good though. Hope them two meet at Kroger. What Justin Haddix has done is remarkable.
(10-18-2023, 09:42 PM)Hound05 Wrote:
(10-18-2023, 07:32 PM)i82much Wrote:

Go back and look at some old threads and the actual score. A lot of people have trouble remembering year after year. I’ve seen post, and many at that, that say “Boyle will run through the competition all the way to Kroger” and “JC will put a clock on everyone until the championship” and “Corbin will smash everyone in front of them until they meet boyle”. Some region games have been close calls, not a whole lot since RPI but a few. But semi’s, very rarely a blowout. At that point, teams are closer than what most want to admit. 

boyle and central and Corbin and Franklin were some pretty close games. 2020 JC had a close region game with us and even closer semi. Boyle had the somewhat rare blowout that year in the semi. But I remember some comments the last few years by each one of those fan bases. I think a team out west might surprise a few this year. Probably not with a W. But with the score.

LOL, I just spent 15 minutes typing up a reply to "Old School Hound" and then realized I had my hounds mixed up!  I hope you're correct "Hound05" and we have some close regional and semi-final games, but I still think Old School is correct. A blowout looms for the Tomcats if they meet Boyle in the playoffs. Ashland won a state championship almost immediately after moving to 3A. I think they would stand a good chance to make it to Kroger in 3A this year as well. For its size Ashland has an inordinate amount of student's living in housing projects (I was one of them for a few years back in the day). Unfortunately, not a lot of students from the projects and most downtown areas participate in sports, especially after elementary school. Their actual student athlete draw is much more on par with 3A schools, which means they have to punch above their weight class to compete in a very good 4A division. Coach Tackett is doing an amazing job and this team has no quit but 4A State Championships will be few and far between for the Tomcats. That doesn't mean we can't be proud of the Tomcats for their playoff runs, even if they end with an occasional blowout. I also agree with you that there is a team from the west that is trying to lay low right now; Hey, we see you!
- This is by far the strongest class in KY pound for pound this year.
- I expect Ashland to beat Johnson Central by a couple scores. They are a solid team who started putting it together at the end of last season. With that said, I don't think Ashland has enough horses to beat Boyle, Corbin, CovCath or even Tilghman.
- Tilghman is flying way below the radar. This may be one of the only times I can remember where Tilghman's hype is actually lower than their results. This is a dangerous team and their coach has proven he can scheme up great gameplans and make a post season run. I would be very nervous if I draw them in the playoffs. They are a veteran team with balance, playmakers, and an opportunistic defense that can turn you over.
- I personally think this is Corbin's best shot to get over the hump as their defense is truly elite, but as mentioned, this is Boyle's sandbox until someone stops them.
- Franklin County is the team i have the least confidence in,
[-] The following 3 users Like EKUAlum05's post:
  • i82much, know1, Rebel55
(10-19-2023, 02:31 AM)ontopofthewest Wrote: I agree with the above stated by hound...    the mention of PT has been scarce....  I say they can go toe to toe with corbin or boyle..  One of the best teams iv seen them have in my 40yrs..  speed an size all over the field an the transfers have lived up to the hype..  the stunner is going to be when it is not just the score but its the "W" ..

Better than the Joe Casey and Hunter Cantwell team from 2003?  That November 28th. "Black Friday" night was the coldest football game I've ever attended and it's not even close! It was worth it to see Boyle get the win.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rebel55's post:
  • Jack Lambert
I don't think there is any question about PT being a good team. I think the question is about their strength of schedule. I know their RPI is good, but really who have they beaten? Everyone looks like world beaters until they run into teams that are just as fast, just as tough and that have played a tougher schedule. In their case we will just have to wait and see.
[-] The following 1 user Likes back country's post:
  • Jack Lambert
(10-19-2023, 11:50 AM)Rebel55 Wrote:
(10-19-2023, 02:31 AM)ontopofthewest Wrote: I agree with the above stated by hound...    the mention of PT has been scarce....  I say they can go toe to toe with corbin or boyle..  One of the best teams iv seen them have in my 40yrs..  speed an size all over the field an the transfers have lived up to the hype..  the stunner is going to be when it is not just the score but its the "W" ..

Better than the Joe Casey and Hunter Cantwell team from 2003?  That November 28th. "Black Friday" night was the coldest football game I've ever attended and it's not even close!  It was worth it to see Boyle get the win.

That was definitely a cold night.
That PT team was definitely a good one, but Boyle played better that night and made PT pay for mistakes.

The temps were definitely a factor as Casey and Cantwell combined for three unforced turnovers and they hadn't had but two all year until that point. It was unfortunate for PT because Boyle quickly turned those mistakes into points. Joe Casey was a way better running back than he showed that night, but hats off to Boyle for laying a plan to keep him in check.
PT made a rally to close the gap late in the second, but went into a very soft "prevent defense" and Coach Smith gave PT a steady dose of 5-7 yard Jacob Tamme receptions. It seemed like Tamme had about 900 yards-5 yards at a time!
[-] The following 1 user Likes truebluefan89's post:
  • Hatz

Better than the Joe Casey and Hunter Cantwell team from 2003?  That November 28th. "Black Friday" night was the coldest football game I've ever attended and it's not even close! It was worth it to see Boyle get the win.

That was definitely one of the coldest games I’ve ever attended ?
I thinks it’s Boyle county as the favorite, then Corbin. I would not want to face PT though without being prepared for a fight.

are they better than the 2003 team?

(10-19-2023, 07:11 PM)truebluefan89 Wrote:

Better than the Joe Casey and Hunter Cantwell team from 2003?  That November 28th. "Black Friday" night was the coldest football game I've ever attended and it's not even close!  It was worth it to see Boyle get the win.

That was definitely a cold night.
That PT team was definitely a good one, but Boyle played better that night and made PT pay for mistakes.

The temps were definitely a factor as Casey and Cantwell combined for three unforced turnovers and they hadn't had but two all year until that point. It was unfortunate for PT because Boyle quickly turned those mistakes into points. Joe Casey was a way better running back than he showed that night, but hats off to Boyle for laying a plan to keep him in check.
PT made a rally to close the gap late in the second, but went into a very soft "prevent defense" and Coach Smith gave PT a steady dose of 5-7 yard Jacob Tamme receptions. It seemed like Tamme had about 900 yards-5 yards at a time!

Actually that was Seth Tamme. Jacob graduated the year before
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hatz's post:
  • Rebel55
Cov cath back on top of rpi for time being
(10-20-2023, 11:53 AM)16 special Wrote: Cov cath back on top of rpi for time being

I see that you’re correct, but when and how did they move back on top without games being played were there games played last night?
(10-20-2023, 01:13 PM)Jack Lambert Wrote:
(10-20-2023, 11:53 AM)16 special Wrote: Cov cath back on top of rpi for time being

I see that you’re correct, but when and how did they move back on top without games being played were there games played last night?

Highlands won is what I’m guessing
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16 special's post:
  • Jack Lambert