Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reorganize Ky Prep Football?
(09-24-2023, 01:13 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(09-23-2023, 03:20 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote:
(09-23-2023, 10:26 AM)ROTC Wrote: Well, apples to oranges.  You can play a basketball game every day without the physical abuse that a varsity football game has on a kid’s body.  But you assume, maybe, that my opinion is to let everybody play in every sport but football.  I’m fine with making all districts seed and the top two go to region.  I do think upsets are a little more likely in basketball than football, but this thread is about football.

And for me, removing the last game from a team that is 1-9….. is a gift to them.  Kids are faking injuries, seniors have long sense packed it in, and these KIDS really don’t want to practice another week and drive three hours to go take a beating.  You might have wanted to, but I’ve seen it play out; most KIDS don’t.

And it does end up costing the four seed money in a lot of instances.  The gate is small at these slaughters.  By the time you pay fuel costs, drivers, feed kids two meals…..it’s a negative get financially.

It’s America- there are rewards for winning and consequences for losing.

Just my opinion, Riddler.

(09-23-2023, 10:26 AM)ROTC Wrote: Well, apples to oranges.  You can play a basketball game every day without the physical abuse that a varsity football game has on a kid’s body.  But you assume, maybe, that my opinion is to let everybody play in every sport but football.  I’m fine with making all districts seed and the top two go to region.  I do think upsets are a little more likely in basketball than football, but this thread is about football.

And for me, removing the last game from a team that is 1-9….. is a gift to them.  Kids are faking injuries, seniors have long sense packed it in, and these KIDS really don’t want to practice another week and drive three hours to go take a beating.  You might have wanted to, but I’ve seen it play out; most KIDS don’t.

And it does end up costing the four seed money in a lot of instances.  The gate is small at these slaughters.  By the time you pay fuel costs, drivers, feed kids two meals…..it’s a negative get financially.

It’s America- there are rewards for winning and consequences for losing.

Just my opinion, Riddler.

oh yeah- I almost forgot… I loathe American Legion Baseball and AAU Basketball.  Loathe, loathe loathe
I played on a 5-5 team that made the playoffs because of an upset in a district game in the last game of the season.  We had to play the #2 team in the state in the first round and I promise you no one wanted to play in that game.  You could hear everyone groan in the locker room after we were told we had one more game after accepting that we were done after the last regular season game.

I was arguing exactly what you stated here at playoff time last year when Lynn Camp had to travel to Pikeville. I said that most of the kids, players, kids parents, and coaches had no desire to play those kind of games. Yet some people on here said I was wrong. They said kids wanted to play those last games, even knowing they were gonna get their brains beaten in . It is ludicrous. There is little reason for a Lynn Camp-Pikeville type game. No one on either side wants to play in a game like that.

I just realized something; myself and old school pup actually agree on something; here’s to ya redbone!!!
(09-24-2023, 12:06 AM)KnoxvillesFinest Wrote:
(09-24-2023, 12:01 AM)Orange Blaze Wrote: The real question to be asked is why aren’t classes equal across all sports?  I know I’m going to step on some toes with this but is it really fair for basketball, baseball, softball, and volleyball to have 1 class?  Sure we all like the idea of the Cinderella small school winning a state title but realistically how often does that really happen?  The class system in KY sports is broken simply because there is no consistency.

This is why nobody takes sports like basketball seriously in this state. sure the glamour of one champion winning it all is a cool premise, but are we to believe small 1A schools should be in the same district as 6A schools?
they can’t shout about fairness and all that in football when they expect the smallest school in the state to compete with the largest in everything else.

I have this conversation a few times a year and without fail, basketball coaches I talk with tell me I'm crazy and hate the idea. Fine, leave basketball the way it is and pound your chest about a Shelby Valley or Paintsville winning it all. Then say "well we have the 1A and 2A now". Both carry zero weight to me because of other sports not being classed. You can not state you want football to be even but have the setup you have for the sports mentioned. It blows my mind. The best way to think of it is this. Are we so smart or stupid for being the only state not classifying basketball?
I'd still take this that I put together last winter:

Class AAAA (55)
District 1: Apollo, Christian County, Henderson County, Daviess County, Marshall County, McCracken County, Owensboro
District 2: Barren County, Bowling Green, Central Hardin, Grayson County, Greenwood, Muhlenberg County, South Warren
District 3: Bullitt East, Bullitt Central, Fairdale, Meade County, North Hardin, PRP
District 4: Atherton, Butler, Fern Creek, Male, Manual, St. Xavier, Southern
District 5: Ballard, Eastern, Jeffersontown, Oldham County, Seneca, South Oldham, Trinity
District 6: Boone County, Campbell County, Conner, Cooper, Dixie Heights, Ryle, Simon Kenton
District 7: Bryan Station, Great Crossing, Frederick Douglass, Henry Clay, Lafayette, PLD, Tates Creek
District 8: GRC, Madison Central, Montgomery County, North Laurel, Southwestern, West Jessamine, Woodford County

Class AAA (55)
District 1: Breckinridge County, Calloway County, Graves County, Hopkinsville, Madisonville, Ohio County, Paducah Tilghman,
District 2: Adair County, Allen County-Scottsville, Logan County, Taylor County, Warren Central, Warren East
District 3: Elizabethtown, Doss, John Hardin, North Bullitt, Nelson County, Valley, Western
District 4: Collins, Iroquois, Jeffersontown, North Oldham, Shelby County, Spencer County, Waggener
District 5: Anderson County, Boyle County, Franklin County, Lincoln County, Madison Southern, Scott County, Western Hills
District 6: Corbin, Harlan County, Pulaski County, Russell County, South Laurel, Wayne County, Whitley County,
District 7: Covington Catholic, Grant County, Highlands, Harrison County, Holmes, Mason County, Scott
District 8: Ashland Blazer, Boyd County, Greenup County, Johnson Central, Letcher County Central, Perry Central, Rowan County

Class AA (55)
District 1: Butler County, Caldwell County, Hopkins County Central, Murray, Trigg County, Union County, Webster County
District 2: Edmondson County, Franklin-Simpson, Glasgow, Hart County, LaRue County, Monroe County, Todd County Central
District 3: Bardstown, Central, CAL, DeSales, Marion County, WEB DuBois (2024), Thomas Nelson
District 4: Carroll County, Henry County, Lloyd Memorial, Owen County, Pendleton County, St. Henry (2024), Walton-Verona,
District 5: Bourbon County, Estill County, Garrard County, Lexington Catholic, Mercer County, Powell County
District 6: Bell County, Casey County, Clay County, Knox Central, McCreary Central, Rockcastle County, Somerset
District 7: Bath County, East Carter, Fleming County, Lawrence County, Lewis County, Russell, West Carter
District 8: Belfry, Breathitt County, Floyd Central, Magoffin County, Martin County, Morgan County, Pike Central

Class A (55)
District 1: Ballard Memorial, Crittenden County, Fort Campbell, Fulton County, Mayfield, McLean County, Owensboro Catholic
District 2: Caverna, Clinton County, Fort Knox, Green County, Hancock County, Metcalfe County, Russellville
District 3: Bethlehem, Emminence, Lou. Holy Cross, KCD, Trimble County, Shawnee
District 4: Berea, Campbellsville, Danville, Frankfort, LCA, Sayre, Washington County
District 5: Beechwood, Bellevue, Dayton, Cov. Holy Cross, Ludlow, Gallatin County, Newport
District 6: Bishop Brossart, Bracken County, Fairview, Newport Central Catholic, Nicholas County, Paris, Raceland
District 7: Betsy Layne, East Ridge, Knott Central, Paintsville, Pikeville, Prestonsburg, Shelby Valley
District 8: Harlan, Hazard, Leslie County, Lynn Camp, Middlesboro, Pineville, Williamsburg

Not competing: Jackson County, Phelps
[-] The following 1 user Likes dodger's post:
  • Nations Elite
(09-24-2023, 09:54 PM)dbcooper Wrote: But the RPI is dependent on an initial subjective value assigned to each team, right?

It is not. Pure math.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nemo's post:
  • Hatz
(09-25-2023, 06:09 PM)dodger Wrote: I'd still take this that I put together last winter:

Class AAAA (55)
District 1: Apollo, Christian County, Henderson County, Daviess County, Marshall County,  McCracken County, Owensboro
District 2: Barren County, Bowling Green, Central Hardin, Grayson County, Greenwood, Muhlenberg County, South Warren
District 3: Bullitt East, Bullitt Central, Fairdale,  Meade County, North Hardin, PRP
District 4: Atherton, Butler, Fern Creek, Male, Manual, St. Xavier, Southern
District 5: Ballard, Eastern, Jeffersontown, Oldham County, Seneca, South Oldham, Trinity
District 6: Boone County, Campbell County, Conner, Cooper, Dixie Heights, Ryle, Simon Kenton
District 7: Bryan Station, Great Crossing, Frederick Douglass, Henry Clay, Lafayette, PLD, Tates Creek
District 8: GRC, Madison Central, Montgomery County, North Laurel, Southwestern, West Jessamine, Woodford County

Class AAA (55)
District 1: Breckinridge County, Calloway County, Graves County, Hopkinsville, Madisonville, Ohio County, Paducah Tilghman,
District 2: Adair County, Allen County-Scottsville, Logan County, Taylor County, Warren Central, Warren East
District 3: Elizabethtown, Doss, John Hardin, North Bullitt, Nelson County, Valley, Western
District 4: Collins, Iroquois, Jeffersontown, North Oldham, Shelby County, Spencer County, Waggener
District 5: Anderson County, Boyle County, Franklin County, Lincoln County, Madison Southern, Scott County, Western Hills
District 6: Corbin, Harlan County, Pulaski County, Russell County, South Laurel, Wayne County, Whitley County,
District 7: Covington Catholic, Grant County, Highlands, Harrison County, Holmes, Mason County, Scott
District 8: Ashland Blazer, Boyd County, Greenup County, Johnson Central, Letcher County Central, Perry Central, Rowan County

Class AA (55)
District 1: Butler County, Caldwell County, Hopkins County Central, Murray, Trigg County, Union County, Webster County
District 2: Edmondson County, Franklin-Simpson, Glasgow, Hart County, LaRue County, Monroe County, Todd County Central
District 3: Bardstown, Central, CAL, DeSales, Marion County, WEB DuBois (2024), Thomas Nelson
District 4: Carroll County, Henry County, Lloyd Memorial, Owen County, Pendleton County, St. Henry (2024), Walton-Verona,
District 5: Bourbon County, Estill County, Garrard County, Lexington Catholic, Mercer County, Powell County
District 6: Bell County, Casey County, Clay County, Knox Central, McCreary Central, Rockcastle County, Somerset
District 7: Bath County, East Carter, Fleming County, Lawrence County, Lewis County, Russell, West Carter
District 8: Belfry, Breathitt County, Floyd Central, Magoffin County, Martin County, Morgan County, Pike Central

Class A (55)
District 1: Ballard Memorial, Crittenden County, Fort Campbell, Fulton County, Mayfield, McLean County, Owensboro Catholic
District 2: Caverna, Clinton County, Fort Knox, Green County, Hancock County, Metcalfe County, Russellville
District 3: Bethlehem, Emminence, Lou. Holy Cross, KCD, Trimble County, Shawnee
District 4: Berea, Campbellsville, Danville, Frankfort, LCA, Sayre, Washington County
District 5: Beechwood, Bellevue, Dayton, Cov. Holy Cross, Ludlow, Gallatin County, Newport
District 6: Bishop Brossart, Bracken County, Fairview, Newport Central Catholic, Nicholas County, Paris, Raceland
District 7: Betsy Layne, East Ridge, Knott Central, Paintsville, Pikeville, Prestonsburg, Shelby Valley
District 8: Harlan, Hazard, Leslie County, Lynn Camp, Middlesboro, Pineville, Williamsburg

Not competing: Jackson County, Phelps
The districts are too big. Who wants to play in the same class and the same teams year after year? I never wanna go back to this
[-] The following 1 user Likes RAMDAD50's post:
  • KnoxvillesFinest
(09-23-2023, 11:11 PM)KnoxvillesFinest Wrote:
(09-23-2023, 08:46 PM)nemo Wrote:
(09-23-2023, 04:20 PM)Smashmouth1982 Wrote: Private and big schools need their own division

Big schools already have 6A and 5A. Only St. Xavier and Trinity, both 6A, play in either of those.

How would you bracket a separate private school division? Only 14 (soon to be 15) play football and half of them are 2A or smaller.

6A St. Xavier and Trinity.

5A None

4A Covington Catholic - less than half the size of X and T.

3A Christian Academy-Louisville, Lexington Catholic, and DeSales (playing up to 4A this cycle).

2A Lexington Christian and Owensboro Catholic - less than half the size of Cov Cath (St. Henry coming soon).

1A Bethlehem, Bishop Brossart, Covington Holy Cross, Kentucky Country Day, Louisville Holy Cross, and Newport Central Catholic - all around half the size of LCA and OC.

How do you seed them? Can they only play each other in one or two districts? Do you penalize public schools for playing them for RPI as if they're out of state schools. Does a private division get fewer playoff games, 3-4 instead of 5 like the current setup. If you think all of them should be playing for one championship, you really aren't proposing a fair division are you?

Almost every metro area these schools are in has some combination of independent cities, open enrollment counties, or multiple private schools for families to choose from. A lot of very successful programs pick up "out of district" kids; happens from Paducah to Pikeville.

A private division will never make it to a Board of Control vote. If it ever did, and passed, litigation would be lit.

lol don’t think it’s impossible. Tennessee has an absurd amount. 6 classes and then three divisions for private. Some of those private divisions has less schools than what you mentioned.
personally I don’t care, but I’m sure there’s some people that would say privates go to one class for all privates and be done with it.

Tennessee does have a separate Private (Division 2) Division but has substantially more teams than Kentucky.  Division 1 (Public) has six classes with a total of 298 teams. There are about 49 - 50 teams in each class.  There are 8 Regions (Districts in Kentucky). Each Region has approximately six teams and four make the playoffs. Division 2 has a total of 49 teams divided into three Classes. Class A (126 - 265 enrollment) has 17 schools, Class AA (272 - 526) has 21 and Class AAA (622 and up) has 11 schools. There are three Class AA schools "playing up" to Class AAA.  All Division 2 teams make the playoffs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Maroon Beech's post:
  • KnoxvillesFinest
Regular Season
1. Adopt a multiplier like other states for out of district students. If you are a private school your District is the same footprint as the Public School that it would fall under. For Independent schools your footprint is the City Limits of your town/city. Apply a multiplier based off the percentages of boys and girls separately in the school outside of that district. Have to keep these separate because of magnet school programs that may lean populations one way or another male vs. female.

2. Privates still play with publics but the multiplier will potentially force them into higher classes. It also forces Independent School District teams and public schools that have talent move in from multiple nearby districts to have their population weighted. In Georgia this is the Buford Rule. Buford is a powerhouse public school with probably half their kids living out of district because it is an elite academic and athletic school system. Buford by enrollment is a 2A or 3A school but they have to play in 6A because of the multiplier.

3. Tweak the RPI. There is absolutely no reason why Out of State games can't be weighted properly with services like Calpreps/Maxpreps with accurate record keeping and strength of schedule weighting.

Playoffs
1. Three Teams Per District make playoffs, not four. District winners earn a First Round Bye as a reward and to keep value to winning your District. Seed each Semi-State 1-12. The four district winners are assured a Top 4 seed. The remaining teams are seeded 5-12 regardless if they finish 2nd or third. The biggest blowouts and lopsided games that make no sense are usually 1 vs. 4 so getting rid of the four seed helps with that.

2. Semi-Finals are played at a neutral site.. not opposed to Round 3 as well... but minimum Semi-Finals.

3. For RPI calculations, only 9 calculations are taken and not 10. You must have your losses calculated but you can choose to drop your lowest winning calculation. This serves two purposes. First, for teams who have no contest or a team back out of a game it keeps them from being penalized for not playing a game that may be out of their control. They just have their nine games calculated. Secondly, for teams wo are forced to play in five or six team Districts it helps to not hinder their RPI by being forced to play weaker District competition.

You will never see a reduction of classes because of the $$$ associated with the KHSAA. These rules tweaks though would dramatically improve competition and equality while at the same time preserving the integrity of a district schedule. It also helps to smooth out scheduling or unfair disadvantages by being forced into a District schedule with a District larger than others.
[-] The following 1 user Likes EKUAlum05's post:
  • KnoxvillesFinest
I agree with everyone that says the RPI needs to go, but it won't for one reason, which is the same reason it was created. The RPI increases the chances that St. X and Trinity will play in the 6A state title game. It's all about money and that will never change. What's funny is that in its 4 years of existence, it has yet to yield a St. X vs Trinity state title game.
Never gonna get a public/private split in KY. Stop wasting your time trying to make it happen. Too many legislators in KY send their kids to private schools and will hammer the KHSAA if it happens. What we need is a multiplier for teams that have repeated success in a class. Much like in Indiana, if you are good in a class you get bumped up, and bad teams get bumped down. The eventuality of this is the large classes end up with all the good privates and independents. It allows some of the large rural districts to compete in lower classes. It truly creates the leveling of football. 1A would be the weakest class and so on. 6A would have almost all of the dominant football programs. Where I feel it would help the most is these independent schools that are 1A and 2A and draw football players from large rural counties would get bumped up to play other large districts that have the same base to draw from. Everyone complains about the privates but the independents have some of the same advantages.
(09-26-2023, 10:34 AM)Ghostofjoey Wrote: Never gonna get a public/private split in KY.  Stop wasting your time trying to make it happen.  Too many legislators in KY send their kids to private schools and will hammer the KHSAA if it happens.  What we need is a multiplier for teams that have repeated success in a class.  Much like in Indiana, if you are good in a class you get bumped up, and bad teams get bumped down.  The eventuality of this is the large classes end up with all the good privates and independents.  It allows some of the large rural districts to compete in lower classes.  It truly creates the leveling of football.  1A would be the weakest class and so on.  6A would have almost all of the dominant football programs.  Where I feel it would help the most is these independent schools that are 1A and 2A and draw football players from large rural counties would get bumped up to play other large districts that have the same base to draw from.  Everyone complains about the privates but the independents have some of the same advantages.
Easy now….you are suggesting a system that would make teams drive more than 20 minutes to play a game. People on here will lose their minds hahah
We play too much basketball in this state, do more futbol
(09-26-2023, 10:10 AM)Buffs19 Wrote: I agree with everyone that says the RPI needs to go, but it won't for one reason, which is the same reason it was created. The RPI increases the chances that St. X and Trinity will play in the 6A state title game. It's all about money and that will never change. What's funny is that in its 4 years of existence, it has yet to yield a St. X vs Trinity state title game.

RPI has its flaws but I don't favor abolishing it until we get something better. The state title games have been more competitive since it was introduced.
(09-26-2023, 10:34 AM)Ghostofjoey Wrote: Never gonna get a public/private split in KY.  Stop wasting your time trying to make it happen.  Too many legislators in KY send their kids to private schools and will hammer the KHSAA if it happens.  What we need is a multiplier for teams that have repeated success in a class.  Much like in Indiana, if you are good in a class you get bumped up, and bad teams get bumped down.  The eventuality of this is the large classes end up with all the good privates and independents.  It allows some of the large rural districts to compete in lower classes.  It truly creates the leveling of football.  1A would be the weakest class and so on.  6A would have almost all of the dominant football programs.  Where I feel it would help the most is these independent schools that are 1A and 2A and draw football players from large rural counties would get bumped up to play other large districts that have the same base to draw from.  Everyone complains about the privates but the independents have some of the same advantages.
You had me then you lost me. Teams should not be punished for winning and already punching above their weight class. There is no reason Beechwood should be expected to have to compete with a Trinity with five times the enrollment, simply because they have maintained dominance winning at a small school level. In essence, all this does is allow more teams to win State Championships in a watered down environment by pushing smaller teams up and bigger underachieving schools down.

I love the multiplier and mentioned it in my post, but to me the multiplier is applied based off kids living outside of the geographical district footprint like what Georgia does.

This I think accomplished ultimately what you want to see, while not creating an unfair disadvantage for programs who have built strong programs in smaller school environments, it still creates a penalty for those schools benefitting from kids outside of their designated imaginary lines on a map which at the end of the day is what drives the passion for changes moreso than giving trophies out for being the one eyed man in the land of the blind.
[-] The following 1 user Likes EKUAlum05's post:
  • Hatz
It is also worth pointing out, that even if changes were made... we would still have these threads every year.

Georgia, the example I used, seems to have it right in my mind and it has benefitted by seeing that State's overall level of football in both rural and urban areas raise on the whole. With that said, if you look at any comment section or message board you still see people crying for change.

At the end of the day, only a select few teams win and the rest lose. When those teams lose they will cry foul and ask for change, then the pattern repeats.
[-] The following 2 users Like EKUAlum05's post:
  • Hatz, nemo
(09-27-2023, 11:17 AM)EKUAlum05 Wrote:
You had me then you lost me. Teams should not be punished for winning and already punching above their weight class. There is no reason Beechwood should be expected to have to compete with a Trinity with five times the enrollment, simply because they have maintained dominance winning at a small school level. In essence, all this does is allow more teams to win State Championships in a watered down environment by pushing smaller teams up and bigger underachieving schools down.

I love the multiplier and mentioned it in my post, but to me the multiplier is applied based off kids living outside of the geographical district footprint like what Georgia does.

This I think accomplished ultimately what you want to see, while not creating an unfair disadvantage for programs who have built strong programs in smaller school environments, it still creates a penalty for those schools benefitting from kids outside of their designated imaginary lines on a map which at the end of the day is what drives the passion for changes moreso than giving trophies out for being the one eyed man in the land of the blind.

• If I'm reading Indiana's football "Tournament Success Factor" correctly:

1. A team accumulates points in football for winning at several levels - for us it would translate to District, Region, Semifinal, and Championship. Everyone in the playoffs garners points to apply to reclassification. Different point systems apply to their other classes sports.

2. A school can only move up one class above its enrollment, and it's not permanent. Less success at the next level allows those teams to move back down.

• Ohio, like Georgia has an out of District "resides" component in classification. It's not a multiplier, but a "one" count for each student, which applies mostly to private schools, some to urban ones, very little to rural districts. Like our enrollment figures, these are rolling rolling year averages. There are some hard enrollment deadlines that make the process less chaotic.

I've lived/worked/coached/officiated in all three states (and here) and the systems are generally a well accepted cost of doing business. Compared to Kentucky, there are very, very few appeals, hearings, and litigation.

A major difference for us is the lack of administrative manpower. Their state associations are partially taxpayer funded and they have the resources to run manage that level of detail. I believe the KHSAA is the only state athletics association that gets zero outside funding.

I'd be in favor of implementing either system, and imo Indiana's is the easier to manage.
(09-26-2023, 08:52 AM)EKUAlum05 Wrote: Regular Season
1. Adopt a multiplier like other states for out of district students.  If you are a private school your District is the same footprint as the Public School that it would fall under. For Independent schools your footprint is the City Limits of your town/city. Apply a multiplier based off the percentages of boys and girls separately in the school outside of that district. Have to keep these separate because of magnet school programs that may lean populations one way or another male vs. female.

2. Privates still play with publics but the multiplier will potentially force them into higher classes. It also forces Independent School District teams and public schools that have talent move in from multiple nearby districts to have their population weighted. In Georgia this is the Buford Rule. Buford is a powerhouse public school with probably half their kids living out of district because it is an elite academic and athletic school system. Buford by enrollment is a 2A or 3A school but they have to play in 6A because of the multiplier.

3. Tweak the RPI. There is absolutely no reason why Out of State games can't be weighted properly with services like Calpreps/Maxpreps with accurate record keeping and strength of schedule weighting.

Playoffs
1. Three Teams Per District make playoffs, not four. District winners earn a First Round Bye as a reward and to keep value to winning your District. Seed each Semi-State 1-12. The four district winners are assured a Top 4 seed. The remaining teams are seeded 5-12 regardless if they finish 2nd or third. The biggest blowouts and lopsided games that make no sense are usually 1 vs. 4 so getting rid of the four seed helps with that.

2. Semi-Finals are played at a neutral site.. not opposed to Round 3 as well... but minimum Semi-Finals.

3. For RPI calculations, only 9 calculations are taken and not 10. You must have your losses calculated but you can choose to drop your lowest winning calculation. This serves two purposes. First, for teams who have no contest or a team back out of a game it keeps them from being penalized for not playing a game that may be out of their control. They just have their nine games calculated. Secondly, for teams wo are forced to play in five or six team Districts it helps to not hinder their RPI by being forced to play weaker District competition.

You will never see a reduction of classes because of the $$$ associated with the KHSAA. These rules tweaks though would dramatically improve competition and equality while at the same time preserving the integrity of a district schedule. It also helps to smooth out scheduling or unfair disadvantages by being forced into a District schedule with a District larger than others.

I really like the sound of that but let’s be honest. There’s not a single soul on the Kentucky school system or khsaa offices that would be smart enough to figure that out and implement it correctly. 

pretty sure Corbin would be in 8A by themselves though lolol. They’d be champs every year. Congrats Corbinites!

5 classes was the PERFECT number for this state. It would have kept the tight races and even playing field while really expanding the opportunity for some schools to get success they simply couldnt before.

But Ofcourse the khsaa jumped straight to 6 classes to be like the others.

5 classes with the multiplier for privates and out of district kids. Around 5-6 teams per district so you have half your schedule already filled every year and the other half to do what you want. Then do what you want in the playoffs. 2 teams or 4 who cares. Same teams are gonna win those first round games 99% of the time regardless.
That would have been perfect.
Roster limits. 28 players per team. No substitutions. You play what you brought to the table. Big schools, 6A, 5A, can field more than one teams, but no transfers between teams. Watch the dynamic change. Tired of watching a bunch of small areas getting overwhelmed by numbers. No classes.
All you that whine about too many games and classes are a bunch of wimps and quitters Smile
(09-26-2023, 11:11 AM)RAMDAD50 Wrote:
Easy now….you are suggesting a system that would make teams drive more than 20 minutes to play a game. People on here will lose their minds hahah
buncha cry babies. lol
(09-26-2023, 11:11 AM)RAMDAD50 Wrote:
buncha cry babies. lol
(09-23-2023, 10:17 AM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: So riddle me this. Why do you guys not have the same opinions when it comes to baseball or basketball? You can lose in the postseason in those sports and advance to the regional tournaments. In both those sports we play year around and agree that more games is how a kid develops but yet we want less games for football? If someone wanted to take your last football game away every year you played when you was a kid would you’ve been happy? It’s about the kids and every time we have this conversation it’s adults complaining about why they don’t wanna travel to a game. It’s not about you it’s about the kids….let them play

state tournaments should be double elimination Smile
Six classes in football and only one in basketball?? Makes no sense...period. Objectively, the numbers just don't support six classes. A few years ago on a similar thread I did the math and our student enrollment per class ratio is crazy low. Sure, for example, Indiana and Ohio have six or seven classes but they also have student enrollments two to three times ours. Subjectively, if our opinion is more state champions is a good thing even if it is a watered down "everybody gets a trophy" type of thing then lets apply that logic across all major sports, not just football. Now I realize we would need to consider participation rates in each sport and obviously we wouldn't need as many state champions in field hockey as we do football or basketball....but six in football and one in basketball (sans the early season "All-A" pseudo champion) is ridiculous.
(09-28-2023, 11:05 AM)i82much Wrote: Six classes in football and only one in basketball??  Makes no sense...period. Objectively, the numbers just don't support six classes. A few years ago on a similar thread I did the math and our student enrollment per class ratio is crazy low. Sure, for example, Indiana and Ohio have six or seven classes but they also have student enrollments two to three times ours. Subjectively, if our opinion is more state champions is a good thing even if it is a watered down "everybody gets a trophy" type of thing then lets apply that logic across all major sports, not just football. Now I realize we would need to consider participation rates in each sport and obviously we wouldn't need as many state champions in field hockey as we do football or basketball....but six in football and one in basketball (sans the early season "All-A" pseudo champion) is ridiculous.
Kentucky should be a 4-class State for football based on population.

Now that it is a 6-class state... it will never be a 4-class state again.

It should also be a four class state for all other sports. Small Public (Div 1), Small Private (Div 2), Large (Div 3) and Large Open (Div 4).

Small Public (Div 1)- 1A, 2A Public Schools
Small Private (Div 2)-1A, 2A, 3A Private Schools
Large (Div 3)- 3A & 4A Public Schools
Large Open (Div 4)- All remaining schools and any school electing to play up for competition. A Div 1 or Div 2 Team can only play up to Div 4 and not Div 3

Break each Division into 4 sectionals. Each Section has two Regions. Three teams per Region advance to the Sectional Tournament where the Regular Season Champs get a First Round Bye.

The KHSAA can still have it's precious "Sweet 16" cash cow. It basically becomes the 4 sectional winners in each class playing. 

Day 1: Div 1 Semi's, Div 3 Semi's
Day 2: Div 2 Semi's, Div 4 Semi's
Day 3: Div 1 Finals, Div 3 Finals
Day 4: Div 2 Finals, Div 4 Finals
(09-28-2023, 04:26 AM)pjdoug Wrote:
(09-23-2023, 10:17 AM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: So riddle me this. Why do you guys not have the same opinions when it comes to baseball or basketball? You can lose in the postseason in those sports and advance to the regional tournaments. In both those sports we play year around and agree that more games is how a kid develops but yet we want less games for football? If someone wanted to take your last football game away every year you played when you was a kid would you’ve been happy? It’s about the kids and every time we have this conversation it’s adults complaining about why they don’t wanna travel to a game. It’s not about you it’s about the kids….let them play

state tournaments should be double elimination Smile

the majority of schools in this state don’t have the arms needed to do the single elimination tournament much less a double
I don't think a school like Beechwood would ever end up in 6A. I think the eventuality would have them settle in near the top of 4 A maybe 5 A, same with Mayfield. Schools like T, X, Male, FD, Boyle would all be 6A. The winner of 6A would be truly be the best team in the state every year.