Poll: Frederick Douglass vs. Corbin
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Frederick Douglass
85.11%
Corbin
14.89%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Frederick Douglass at Corbin 9/15
I may not be a fan of this offense and I’m admittedly hyper critical of the coaching staff for obvious reasons. That being said if Fredrick Douglas comes to town and leaves a point spread on the board that some are predicting on here then it’ll be the first time in my lifetime that I’ve ever seen a Corbin team lay down on Campbell Field and just take it… I sure hope FD shows up Friday night that cocky and arrogant….
[-] The following 1 user Likes TD Hounds's post:
  • Bull got out!
OLD SCHOOL HOUND WROTE: Bull, I know big Franklin West played on both sides of the ball at Pulaski but seems like the Corbin announcers mentioned the twins lining up when Corbin had the ball. Maybe I just misheard it but they said "Twins" multiple times. Did the twins play some on offense?

I didn't see them on the offensive side of the ball, I was paying attention to the types of plays Pulaski was running and throwing at this Corbin defense. But if I was coaching this team, I would have to have a goal line formation with 3 Grizzleys on one side and It would be hard to stop. But I got to say, Coach Hines no doubt had a game plan worthy to go against this DLine of Corbin. Quick Pass, inside run, Delayed handoffs are all things that looked like it worked. Now that doesn't mean that Corbin is no good, but it shows wrinkles in the defense. I think Frederick Douglass will do more of the same, but what I will say, is Frederick Douglass QB drops back and was a sitting duck in the Hoban game, They had edge rushers and I don't think those guys are ranked as high as the Corbin Grizzlys.  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • Old School Hound
(09-13-2023, 02:07 PM)TD Hounds Wrote: I may not be a fan of this offense and I’m admittedly hyper critical of the coaching staff for obvious reasons.  That being said if Fredrick Douglas comes to town and leaves a point spread on the board that some are predicting on here then it’ll be the first time in my lifetime that I’ve ever seen a Corbin team lay down on Campbell Field and just take it… I sure hope FD shows up Friday night that cocky and arrogant….

Corbin wont lay down,  These kids has got fight in them, that is one thing I like, I watched these Twins talking after every play..... They are play fired up and thats the way I like it.   Smile I eat popcorn like that.....

[Image: https://i1.wp.com/gifrific.com/wp-conten....gif?ssl=1]
I'm hoping Corbin Community College can pull the upset over University of Fred Doug.
(09-13-2023, 03:16 PM)jetpilot Wrote: I'm hoping Corbin Community College can pull the upset over University of Fred Doug.

Smile
  • jetpilot
(09-13-2023, 03:16 PM)jetpilot Wrote: I'm hoping Corbin Community College can pull the upset over University of Fred Doug.
If you are calling Corbin a Community College and Fred Doug a university what would you call Boyle? They have more than those two and a few more waiting to become eligible I heard.
(09-13-2023, 04:36 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote:
If you are calling Corbin a Community College and Fred Doug a university what would you call Boyle? They have more than those two and a few more waiting to become eligible I heard.

Boyle Tech or Boyle A & M
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Big Daddy Bull
Anybody got any tips on 6th race at Kentucky Downs. Won first race $152 been downhill after that. Lol
(09-13-2023, 08:40 AM)Bull got out! Wrote: Smile I don’t know what they look at when making their rankings Corbin is in that top 5-7 team in the state for sure. St X. , Male, Frederick Douglass, Boyle are the top 4. Why? I’ll let those teams be self explanatory when they matchup with the heavyweights. Now, football is a game that can have that on any given night syndrome as well. I saw a Bullitt East team take the crown last year. Not 1 poll had Bullitt East winning the 6A title. No one other than a few fans was saying they had much of a chance. Corbin the last couple of years has had teams that were right there. This years team is no different. Now I’ll throw this pooch kick in the mix. I have watched a many of good teams the last couple of years. I think a couple weeks ago I witnessed the best two offensive teams I have seen. Boyle and then LCA. That’s no shade on anyone. That’s just the truth. Not many fans this way will see those offenses. I have. I know a good football team when I see one. As always when all the marbles are on the table, all teams tighten up and points spreads close when it’s an elimination game. I like reading your stuff Old School. I’m a big fan of the Red team. I’m just not a fan of politics……  Smile I’ll not go into that as the season is under way. Corbin has a opportunity to beat one of the top 4 teams in the state this Friday. Arguably the top team overall. But this years schedules has the top teams playing similar opponents and by season’s end, it will all be sorted out by there play on the field. We all will know who the top teams are by the end of week 10.

Excellent post.  It will all sort itself out in the end. 

One final point on Boyle. They may very well be as good as you say. Maybe no one in 4A can hang with them. That's possible. I've watched them play one game. A home game. And quite frankly, a few more inches and they would have probably lost that game. Had LCA made those few inches on the 4th and 2 late in the game, they probably score and win the game. So, Boyle was very close to a home loss to a 2A team. Granted, a very good 2A team.   As for Scott County, the Cardinals couldn't stop a cold. Me and Bull and Viz and Hound05 could put up three scores on Scott County. I think hapless Lincoln County put up 20 on them. So, of course, Boyle County scored at will on them. Corbin has a much, much better defense than Scott County. With the Corbin Grizzly Bear defense, I don't think it will be as easy to score at will on them.  Can Corbin match Boyle score for score? That's yet to be determined. However, if the betting line was Boyle County(-35), people all over the state would be making a mad dash to bet a bundle on Corbin. I think a potential Corbin-Boyle matchup could be another tight one. But a lot of factors might come into play as the season progresses that could change the calculus of a Corbin-Boyle rematch. Injuries to one team or another can certainly change the outlook.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Bull got out!
(09-13-2023, 02:07 PM)TD Hounds Wrote: I may not be a fan of this offense and I’m admittedly hyper critical of the coaching staff for obvious reasons.  That being said if Fredrick Douglas comes to town and leaves a point spread on the board that some are predicting on here then it’ll be the first time in my lifetime that I’ve ever seen a Corbin team lay down on Campbell Field and just take it… I sure hope FD shows up Friday night that cocky and arrogant….

Why do you think those players will?  I'm pretty certain they aren't on this message board and there aren't many, if any, FD fans typing on here.
Corbin players and coaches are tho. Hahah
[-] The following 1 user Likes HighViz's post:
  • Hatz
(09-13-2023, 05:02 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(09-13-2023, 08:40 AM)Bull got out! Wrote: Smile I don’t know what they look at when making their rankings Corbin is in that top 5-7 team in the state for sure. St X. , Male, Frederick Douglass, Boyle are the top 4. Why? I’ll let those teams be self explanatory when they matchup with the heavyweights. Now, football is a game that can have that on any given night syndrome as well. I saw a Bullitt East team take the crown last year. Not 1 poll had Bullitt East winning the 6A title. No one other than a few fans was saying they had much of a chance. Corbin the last couple of years has had teams that were right there. This years team is no different. Now I’ll throw this pooch kick in the mix. I have watched a many of good teams the last couple of years. I think a couple weeks ago I witnessed the best two offensive teams I have seen. Boyle and then LCA. That’s no shade on anyone. That’s just the truth. Not many fans this way will see those offenses. I have. I know a good football team when I see one. As always when all the marbles are on the table, all teams tighten up and points spreads close when it’s an elimination game. I like reading your stuff Old School. I’m a big fan of the Red team. I’m just not a fan of politics……  Smile I’ll not go into that as the season is under way. Corbin has a opportunity to beat one of the top 4 teams in the state this Friday. Arguably the top team overall. But this years schedules has the top teams playing similar opponents and by season’s end, it will all be sorted out by there play on the field. We all will know who the top teams are by the end of week 10.

One final point on Boyle. They may very well be as good as you say. Maybe no one in 4A can hang with them. That's possible. I've watched them play one game. A home game. And quite frankly, a few more inches and they would have probably lost that game. Had LCA made those few inches on the 4th and 2 late in the game, they probably score and win the game. So, Boyle was very close to a home loss to a 2A team. Granted, a very good 2A team.   As for Scott County, the Cardinals couldn't stop a cold. Me and Bull and Viz and Hound05 could put up three scores on Scott County. I think hapless Lincoln County put up 20 on them. So, of course, Boyle County scored at will on them. Corbin has a much, much better defense than Scott County. With the Corbin Grizzly Bear defense, I don't think it will be as easy to score at will on them.  Can Corbin match Boyle score for score? That's yet to be determined. However, if the betting line was Boyle County(-35), people all over the state would be making a mad dash to bet a bundle on Corbin. I think a potential Corbin-Boyle matchup could be another tight one. But a lot of factors might come into play as the season progresses that could change the calculus of a Corbin-Boyle rematch. Injuries to one team or another can certainly change the outlook.

Here is the sequence you spoke about:  

LCA quarterback Cutter Boley threw the second of his three TD passes on the first play of the fourth quarter to pull the Eagles (1-1) within three points. But the Rebels took almost six minutes off the clock on their next series, then stopped the Eagles on fourth-and-2 at the Boyle 26-yard line with 3:01 to play.  On the next play, Quisenberry broke free for a 75-yard touchdown run that all but clinched the Rebels’ win. He answered an LCA TD with a 42-yard run after Bodner recovered an onside kick attempt, and he tacked on one more TD with 1:31 left.

Read more at: https://www.amnews.com/2023/08/29/boyle-...te-powers/

So, let's say LCA gets the first down and then scores to go up by 4.  Most like the clock will still have a couple of minutes on it.  Can you honestly say that the LCA defense would have stopped Boyle from scoring the winning TD?  They can, and did, score from about every position on the field.  You conjecture that LCA getting the First Down would have likely led to a score is true.  But it's not anymore likely that the Eagles would have kept Boyle from scoring when they got the ball back.
[-] The following 2 users Like Hatz's post:
  • CC117, Jack Lambert
And you can’t really make the argument they would have managed the clock down to score with little time left either. They may have tried to do that, but that’s what they tried to do at the end of the first half and it resulted in an interception to end the half. If LCA gets that first down the game is most definitely more interesting, but to say they ‘probably win’ the game is a stretch when you look at the entire game and how it played out. The best team won that one
[-] The following 2 users Like CC117's post:
  • Hatz, Jack Lambert
(09-13-2023, 05:13 PM)HighViz Wrote: Corbin players and coaches are tho.  Hahah  From what I’ve read since being here there are very few FD posters.   I think people are tired of the same ol Corbin gonna win it every year talk.  Some say they are the team to beat. They are good. May be, But the team to beat is an hour north in Boyle Co.  All most Corbin people do is talk. All the while, Justin is sporting 3 rings. Even more motivated for a 4th.   While Corbin people on here act like it’s theirs to lose.   It is funny tho at times to read what my entitled neighbors write.  Carry on.  

I would love to see the Hounds win a game in December. But let’s do it, not brag about how we #1
The last time we won was 1982.
Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.
(09-13-2023, 05:15 PM)Hatz Wrote:

Here is the sequence you spoke about:  

LCA quarterback Cutter Boley threw the second of his three TD passes on the first play of the fourth quarter to pull the Eagles (1-1) within three points. But the Rebels took almost six minutes off the clock on their next series, then stopped the Eagles on fourth-and-2 at the Boyle 26-yard line with 3:01 to play.  On the next play, Quisenberry broke free for a 75-yard touchdown run that all but clinched the Rebels’ win. He answered an LCA TD with a 42-yard run after Bodner recovered an onside kick attempt, and he tacked on one more TD with 1:31 left.

Read more at: https://www.amnews.com/2023/08/29/boyle-...te-powers/

So, let's say LCA gets the first down and then scores to go up by 4.  Most like the clock will still have a couple of minutes on it.  Can you honestly say that the LCA defense would have stopped Boyle from scoring the winning TD?  They can, and did, score from about every position on the field.  You conjecture that LCA getting the First Down would have likely led to a score is true.  But it's not anymore likely that the Eagles would have kept Boyle from scoring when they got the ball back.

If LCA had scored with, say 1:30 or so left and I had to bet on who would have won the game, I'm betting my money on the team with the lead. The win probability would have been in LCA's favor at that point.  No certainty , but in their favor. One missed conversion or one turnover end the game in those 90 seconds.
LCA’s defense didn’t have much of anything left in the tank for most of the 2nd half. They were falling all over the field with cramps. At times multiple players were down. It was almost comical. Boyle’s defense stepped up in the 4th quarter and made a play on 4th down when they had to which they have done more than once now in big games during coach Haddix’s tenure. Had that not happened & LCA got the first & scored with any time left though I’m not sure LCA’s defense would have been up to the task if any time was left the way they were falling all over the field
[-] The following 1 user Likes CC117's post:
  • Jack Lambert
(09-13-2023, 05:31 PM)HighViz Wrote:
(09-13-2023, 05:13 PM)HighViz Wrote: Corbin players and coaches are tho.  Hahah  From what I’ve read since being here there are very few FD posters.   I think people are tired of the same ol Corbin gonna win it every year talk.  Some say they are the team to beat. They are good. May be, But the team to beat is an hour north in Boyle Co.  All most Corbin people do is talk. All the while, Justin is sporting 3 rings. Even more motivated for a 4th.   While Corbin people on here act like it’s theirs to lose.   It is funny tho at times to read what my entitled neighbors write.  Carry on.  

I would love to see the Hounds win a game in December.  But let’s do it, not brag about how we #1

Exactly. And for that very reason, as much as I like Haddix as a coach and wish he was still here, he didn't get it done in Corbin. He came close but football is not hand grenades. He had teams that could have won it all but came up short. The 2018 game against Central was an abomination. Corbin was 2TDs better than Central and wound up on the short end.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • HighViz

No doubt -35 is not going to be the spread in the 3rd round and beyond.  Smile But being at the LCA/Boyle game, I didn't get the feeling that Boyle was beat at anytime of the game. What I saw was a pont in that 3rd quarter where I thought Boyle was going to run off with it. Keep in mind, they scored 47 points in 15 minutes. Then Scott County was a nice team, I was shocked. First time seeing them and they are a legit top 2 or 3 team in 5A. Arguably #1. But they flat out man handled Scott County, it was a beat down. I'll say this, I watched Covington Catholic against North Laurel. I have watch Corbin at Lexington Catholic and I have watched Boyle vs LCA and Scott County. ...I go back to what I saw the first time I went to Boyle at there 7x7 that night. Speed.... They got it. I aint just saying it, They have got nitrous under them there cleats.... Smile Best looking offense I have seen in a long time....... The regular season is showing just what I saw in the 7x7, Speeeeed.. Scores are backing it up as well. They have alot more weapons this year brother... Its like getting 4 Bottles of ex lax and taking it all at one time... When you know you got to go.....LOL...Thats how fast I see those dudes moving....they aint wasting no time getting down the field... Smile

[Image: https://carperformanceboss.com/wp-conten...07/nos.gif]
(09-13-2023, 05:59 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

I would love to see the Hounds win a game in December.  But let’s do it, not brag about how we #1

Exactly. And for that very reason, as much as I like Haddix as a coach and wish he was still here, he didn't get it done in Corbin. He came close but football is not hand grenades. He had teams that could have won it all but came up short. The 2018 game against Central was an abomination. Corbin was 2TDs better than Central and wound up on the short end.
Sounds to me like the common denominator of this equation is Tommy.  He has been the problem all along. 

Again, back to my point.  Let’s knock the big dog off the porch one time post 1982 and several homers will be on board with how good the hounds are.  But until then, Justin may have another ring on his pinky finger and thumb. Corbin old hounds can still sport around them old Championship jackets that reek of moth balls.
Keep the language as to a little cleaner Iggy Fan than referring to a High School football team as that please.  Wink
(09-13-2023, 01:45 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(09-12-2023, 06:47 PM)Bull got out! Wrote:
(09-12-2023, 05:34 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Corbin may as well not show up , I guess.  In fact, just cancel the rest of the season since they have no shot against a 5 TD favorite in Boyle in the playoffs.  You folks have a lot to learn about Campbell Field and a good Corbin football team. 

Corbin has been pointing to this game for months. I would rate the chances of this Lexington team leaving Corbin  and the newly revamped Campbell Field with a win at about the same me banging Taylor Swift Friday night.  I believe in our Corbin(and Somerset and Connecticut) youngsters. I believe we are gonna see magic return to Campbell Field. 

From the magical year of 1982, when the Hounds last reached the pinnacle in KY HS football:

Smile When have I ever stated Corbin doesn't have a shot? Just because I said they at this point of the season they are below Boyle County doesn't mean nothing no more than a little bit of wasted hot air. But a long season is ahead for all teams. Who knows what will happen by seasons end. I hope every team is healthy and gets to represent to there fullest capabilities. Thats what makes the playoffs so fun. What about cancel the season....Gee whiz... I hope Corbin can win this game. But if the Frederick Douglass last season was the best team I have watched in a long time. I don't know what this team is this year, I haven't seen them to be able to predict properly. I know one thing, No one is going to stand toe to toe with ST X and not be good. Not many teams go into Trinity and spank them as well. If Corbin beats Frederick Douglass then a massive earthquake will hit the state in every forum and all polls... Smile

The massive earthquake will be Corbin from #2 Cantrell to #1 Cantrell, followed by an after shock of Corbin from #4 KSR to #3 KSR and another tremor from Corbin going from -2 Calpreps vs Boyle to +2 Calpreps  vs Boyle   All of these computer rankings have the Redhounds as one of the premier teams in the state, close to or even slightly above Boyle. Corbin has an defense that is capable of stopping good offenses. Corbin has yet to show its hand on offense. They are capable of being explosive. Being below Boyle is one thing. Being 5 TDs below Boyle is the equivalent of everyone playing for second place. Now, I agree, if Corbin continues to be lackluster like they have been, then I don't see them hanging with Boyle. But I don't think we've anything close to what Corbin can be.  What Corbin CAN be is a very good football team capable  of shutting down  really good teams and scoring a lot of points when they have the ball.. They have a very high ceiling. Will they reach that ceiling? Only time will tell.

Btw, I have the utmost respect for your football knowledge. I was just having a little fun at your assessment of the differential between Boyle and the rest of 4A.  Smile Your ability to breakdown and analyze the X's and O's far surpasses what I am capable of. That's why I was so concerned that you feel like my Hounds are 5 Tds inferior to Boyle. All these other ratings have Corbin pretty much even with Boyle. So I'm wondering what does Bull know that Cantrell, KSR, and Calpreps doesn't. It has caused me to have episodes of high blood pressure and heart palpitations. I just hope that our kids don't buy in to the belief that they are 35 points in the negative to the best 4A  football team out there.

I hope all of the Corbin fans  on here(and there's been several) who have been slobbering all over the knobs of the Boyle coaches and players will see enough on Friday night out of the Hounds to make them revisit their prognostications of the Corbin-Boyle hypothetical. Maybe we can knock off at least a TD or two from that differential.   Smile  I've lived in Corbin most of my life. I bleed RED! Cincinnati Reds and Corbin Redhounds!  I hate like hell the way things are done around this town with their GOB politics. I think ushering Haddix out of town was a huge mistake that will likely cost multiple state titles. But at the end of the day, I'm a Redhound and I want to see Tommy Greer succeed much more than I want to see Justin Haddix succeed. 

Now, if my Hounds come out and lay another egg Friday night,  I'll eat my crow and admit that maybe the Corbin fans on here who say Boyle far outclasses Corbin are right. But, in my opinion, the Freddie Dougs from Fayette County have a better chance of losing to Corbin at Campbell Field than they do of losing to Boyle in Lexington. And that's the bottom line cause OSH said so!!!  Smile
How do we know Corbin has a defense capable of stopping good offense? Really just a guess. Cincinnati public schools are typically like Louisville Publics not very good and Lex. Catholic and Pulaski are down with zero athletes. So until you play a team with good athletes and speed you just never really know, ask Scott Co. FD 21 Corbin 7.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Big Daddy Bull's post:
  • HighViz

He would have if he’d stayed. We all have stated that plenty of times.
(09-13-2023, 06:13 PM)HighViz Wrote:

Sounds to me like the common denominator of this equation is Tommy.  He has been the problem all along. 

Again, back to my point.  Let’s knock the big dog off the porch one time post 1982 and several homers will be on board with how good the hounds are.  But until then, Justin may have another ring on his pinky finger and thumb. Corbin old hounds can still sport around them old Championship jackets that reek of moth balls.

Smile Fact! He better get stock in a jewelry store…. Just saying…
  • 16BBall Fan
Poor Tommy been the problem all along. Darn State Runner Up trophy looks awful in that trophy case from last season. Guy is a gosh darn awful coach. State Runner Ups are so easy to attain. Some of you are just plain stupid.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Diablo's post:
  • Hatz
(09-14-2023, 07:10 AM)Diablo Wrote: Poor Tommy been the problem all along.  Darn State Runner Up trophy looks awful in that trophy case from last season.  Guy is a gosh darn awful coach.  State Runner Ups are so easy to attain.    Some of you are just plain stupid.
Tell them that for Haddix’s 2 runner Ups in the trophy case.  Has Tommy got over the hump yet? Didn’t say he was an awful coach. Just said Haddix will get measured for his pinky finger and thumb maybe before Tommy gets one.   Also said we need to win one before we act like we are best.   That’s what is stupid. Haha. Another  thing that is stupid is How we only only pick out one sentence from a paragraph and blow it up. Hell, let’s beat Freddie D.
(09-13-2023, 04:52 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

Boyle Tech or Boyle A & M
Boyle A & M! That made me chuckle!
[-] The following 2 users Like jamesdeane's post:
  • Bull got out!, jetpilot
I don’t know if some of you guys even put the pads on and played a game. Winning a ring is no easy task for any player or coach in any class. I will take all them STATE Runner Up trophies all day long. You know how many coaches would just love to have 1 of those???? God no wonder nobody wants to coach these days. Most people are so unrealistic.
Did you play at Corbin? Reside there? Because this has little to do with anything about getting there. This is all politics brother. Hahah.
Why does Boyle have to be brought into this? LOL
(09-14-2023, 10:03 AM)Diablo Wrote: I don’t know if some of you guys even put the pads on and played a game.  Winning a ring is no easy task for any player or coach in any class.  I will take all them STATE Runner Up trophies all day long.  You know how many coaches would just love to have 1 of those????  God no wonder nobody wants to coach these days.  Most people are so unrealistic.

Smile When you are my way, stop by and I'll pour you a cup of coffee and fix you some soup beans

[Image: https://media.giphy.com/media/5xtDarGcdo.../giphy.gif]
  • pjdoug