Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th region preseason favorites and individual standouts.
Who are the 13th region preseason favorites and individual standouts.
HC
Corbin
North
Clay
[-] The following 1 user Likes HCS's post:
  • 64SUR
Harlan Co (clear favorite if healthy)
Corbin
North laurel
Clay Co

Trent Noah - Region POY possible runner up MBB
Maddox Huff - Harlan
Kyler McLendon - Harlan Ind
Reece Davis - North Laurel
El Pietrowski - Corbin
Jordan Mabe - South Laurel

Eli***
1. Harlan County
2. Corbin
3. Clay County
3. North Laurel

That’s all folk’s

Sleeper teams
Harlan, South Laurel, Bell, Whitley
Harlan County clear favorite to win Region if Healthy. Trent Noah easily best player in the 13th Region this season. Corbin wins district this year and Zander Curry leads the Hounds to Region Championship game against Harlan County but fall to the Black Bears in title game. Clay County coming back as a solid 3 team in Region and I look for Hayden Harris to be dominant in 85% of games played this season, big year for Harris kid. North Laurel coming in at a 4 team in the Region is pretty fair considering what the Jags lost off last seasons roster and I look for the Brock kid to have a huge season for the Jags. Even though South Laurel isn’t mentioned doesn’t mean you can count them out. Jeff Davis still best Coach in 13th Region and can develop young talent quicker and better than most.
1-Harlan Co- Should be their year
2– Corbin- region runner-up in 2022 and will be major contender in 2023
3-Clay Co- Addition of Wburg transfer and Mike Jones as coach makes things interesting.
4- Harlan- Will be much better then what people think
5- N.Laurel- Have a lot of young talent but probably 1 year away but wouldn’t count them out.
HC will be strong
(05-23-2023, 09:07 PM)runthepill Wrote: 1-Harlan Co- Should be their year
2– Corbin- region runner-up in 2022 and will be major contender in 2023
3-Clay Co- Addition of Wburg transfer and Mike Jones as coach makes things interesting.
4- Harlan- Will be much better then what people think
5- N.Laurel- Have a lot of young talent but probably 1 year away but wouldn’t count them out.
After two FIRST Round exits at sweet sixteen with the best basketball player to ever lace up a pair of basketball shoes in 13th Region, I’d say Valentine is not in mix period this year. Corbin and Harlan County gonna beat the brakes of North Laurel. North Laurel will be better when Cody Messer takes over..
(05-22-2023, 02:03 PM)64SUR Wrote: 1. Harlan County
2. Corbin
3. Clay County
3. North Laurel

That’s all folk’s

Sleeper teams
Harlan, South Laurel, Bell, Whitley
Update on my sleeper teams Barbourville
I know its summer ball, but it was good to see BIG CLAY easily handle Harlan and Corbin yesterday. Clay looked very good with multiple dunks and players contributing.
(06-13-2023, 09:19 AM)FallRock Wrote: I know its summer ball, but it was good to see BIG CLAY easily handle Harlan and Corbin yesterday. Clay looked very good with multiple dunks and players contributing.

Clay looked good, but they didn't "easily handle" Corbin. Clay won by one in overtime and had to hit two 3s in the final minute to stay alive.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HCS's post:
  • Cactus Jack
(06-13-2023, 10:17 PM)HCS Wrote:
(06-13-2023, 09:19 AM)FallRock Wrote: I know its summer ball, but it was good to see BIG CLAY easily handle Harlan and Corbin yesterday. Clay looked very good with multiple dunks and players contributing.

Clay looked good, but they didn't "easily handle" Corbin. Clay won by one in overtime and had to hit two 3s in the final minute to stay alive.

good point. still on any other court clay wins by 12-15
Officiating looked fair to me for all the scrimmages. Two regular officials were there.
Clay looked good. I wouldn't say they are clearly better than Corbin at this point though.
The Tigers probably go into next year about 4th or 5th. They have the potential to be the 2nd best team if everything clicks. I’m just glad they’re back in the discussion. The 13th region isn’t the 13th region without Clay near the top (just the truth). The first thing they should be worrying about though is trying to take back their district. North won’t drop as much as some think.
I think Clay and North will be ranked third and fourth, but I'm not sure what order. I haven't seen North this summer, but they have been loaded in the younger classes the last couple of years.
How did the Harlan County vs North Laurel summer ball game go recently? I’m curious because I was told Harlan County beat the brakes off North Laurel. ??‍♂️
Harlan County won by 18. They shot well and will beat just about anyone if they shoot like that. I was still impressed by North's talent. They will be very dangerous and competitive in the 13th with several younger guys in key spots. Harlan County was more physical than usual and can be really good if they play like that every night.
[-] The following 2 users Like HCS's post:
  • Cactus Jack, Cowboy42
(06-22-2023, 11:48 PM)HCS Wrote: Harlan County won by 18. They shot well and will beat just about anyone if they shoot like that. I was still impressed by North's talent. They will be very dangerous and competitive in the 13th with several younger guys in key spots. Harlan County was more physical than usual and can be really good if they play like that every night.
That’s exactly the problem North will face all year. They aren’t physical at all, North players need to get in weight room if they are to have a chance at Corbin or Harlan County. We return a lot with Stewart, Curry, Worley and Pietrowski and a kid to be named later. Go Hounds..
(06-28-2023, 11:27 AM)Cowboy42 Wrote:
(06-22-2023, 11:48 PM)HCS Wrote: Harlan County won by 18. They shot well and will beat just about anyone if they shoot like that. I was still impressed by North's talent. They will be very dangerous and competitive in the 13th with several younger guys in key spots. Harlan County was more physical than usual and can be really good if they play like that every night.
That’s exactly the problem North will face all year. They aren’t physical at all, North players need to get in weight room if they are to have a chance at Corbin or Harlan County. We return a lot with Stewart, Curry, Worley and Pietrowski and a kid to be named later. Go Hounds..
This is one stupid comment. North returns 3 starters who were more than physical enough last year to send the dogs home with their tales tucked last year. Chadwell did not play either. I was there because my tigers played at the Collins event. It was a close game early on. Tournament rules were no foul outs. and Harlan did capitalize on it. They built a lead then killed clock in the 4th. Smart on their part. Harlan and the dogs better focus on my tigers or they may wind up with cat scratch fever. The black and yellows is some bad fellows.
(06-28-2023, 08:49 PM)BallAlcoholic Wrote:
This is one stupid comment. North returns 3 starters who were more than physical enough last year to send the dogs home with their tales tucked last year. Chadwell did not play either. I was there because my tigers played at the Collins event. It was a close game early on. Tournament rules were no foul outs. and Harlan did capitalize on it. They built a lead then killed clock in the 4th. Smart on their part. Harlan and the dogs better focus on my tigers or they may wind up with cat scratch fever. The black and yellows is some bad fellows.
I was giving the Tigers the benefit of the doubt but since you chimed in about a stupid comment I’d love to know why you think the Tigers can beat the Hounds? I’d say you’re right tho the tigers are a 4th ranked team behind HC, Corbin, North. The Hounds will win every game they play this year against Clay County period..
(06-28-2023, 10:14 PM)Cowboy42 Wrote:
(06-28-2023, 08:49 PM)BallAlcoholic Wrote:
I was giving the Tigers the benefit of the doubt but since you chimed in about a stupid comment I’d love to know why you think the Tigers can beat the Hounds? I’d say you’re right tho the tigers are a 4th ranked team behind HC, Corbin, North. The Hounds will win every game they play this year against Clay County period..
I think Corbin vs Clay will be a very physical game but I think the tigers get the edge in a physical game.  Bundy is a head hunter. Corbin lost their main physical dude when Wells walked across the stage to receive his paper. He was a very tough athletic kid. I actually enjoyed watching him play. Harris is a tough match up for Corbin. Roark plays hard and I think the tigers have a chip on their shoulder. Because of the past few years of questionable coaching.
1. Harlan Co
2. Clay

3.Corbin

4 North
I'm curious to see how all the egos at Clay County handle the season. Going to be at least a couple of players that don't play as much as they did in the past, and how that effects the attitudes and team chemistry is going to play a key role in their success. I can see Clay make the region semis if all goes well, but it's hard for me to see them doing much more than that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fridaynightfights's post:
  • Cowboy42
Hearing the mighty Jags may be losing two of their best players. Big guy going home and the other one moving to another 13th school. I personally think the guard kid is the best returning Jaguar. If I was Coach Jones I'd be in the pipe directing the guard to a black and yellow uniform. The kid has lit us up since middle school. Definitely love the way he plays can score and defend. Would pair up nice with Bundys energy. Either way we will soon find out if the BIG V can coach this season or if he was just ridding in Sheppard's side cart.[Image: http://bluegrassrivals.com/forum/images/...s/woah.png][Image: http://bluegrassrivals.com/forum/images/...iggrin.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes BallAlcoholic's post:
  • Cowboy42
(07-14-2023, 05:16 PM)BallAlcoholic Wrote: Hearing the mighty Jags may be losing two of their best players. Big guy going home and the other one moving to another 13th school. I personally think the guard kid is the best returning Jaguar. If I was Coach Jones I'd be in the pipe directing the guard to a black and yellow uniform. The kid has lit us up since middle school. Definitely love the way he plays can score and defend. Would pair up nice with Bundys energy. Either way we will soon find out if the BIG V can coach this season or if he was just ridding in Sheppard's side cart.[Image: http://bluegrassrivals.com/forum/images/...s/woah.png][Image: http://bluegrassrivals.com/forum/images/...iggrin.png]
Heard big boy went home and another kid going to South. Cody Messer is best chance that North Laurel has at competing now. North Admin should make Cody Messer Head Coach now as he’s a players coach..
(07-15-2023, 10:05 PM)Cowboy42 Wrote:
(07-14-2023, 05:16 PM)BallAlcoholic Wrote: Hearing the mighty Jags may be losing two of their best players. Big guy going home and the other one moving to another 13th school. I personally think the guard kid is the best returning Jaguar. If I was Coach Jones I'd be in the pipe directing the guard to a black and yellow uniform. The kid has lit us up since middle school. Definitely love the way he plays can score and defend. Would pair up nice with Bundys energy. Either way we will soon find out if the BIG V can coach this season or if he was just ridding in Sheppard's side cart.[Image: http://bluegrassrivals.com/forum/images/...s/woah.png][Image: http://bluegrassrivals.com/forum/images/...iggrin.png]
Heard big boy went home and another kid going to South. Cody Messer is best chance that North Laurel has at competing now. North Admin should make Cody Messer Head Coach now as he’s a players coach..
Cody is a great guy and coach. North has a lot of talent that many in the region have no idea how good they could be. I think they had the potential to be the best team since Valentines arrival. I know you don't replace a Reed Sheppard, but as a whole team they could be super. They have 8 guys who could start at most of the other schools.
north isn't a top 5 team in 13th regardless of coach.
(07-16-2023, 10:54 AM)FallRock Wrote: north isn't a top 5 team in 13th regardless of coach.
They are a #4 or #5 team with the janitor coaching. Cody Messer just a much better basketball Coach than Valentine and the players will respond better.
They were easily a top five team this summer, even without Chadwell. They are young, but very deep and talented.
(06-13-2023, 10:17 PM)HCS Wrote:

(07-16-2023, 11:30 AM)Cowboy42 Wrote:
(07-16-2023, 10:54 AM)FallRock Wrote: north isn't a top 5 team in 13th regardless of coach.
They are a #4 or #5 team with the janitor coaching. Cody Messer just a much better basketball Coach than Valentine and the players will respond better.

I just don't see North Laurel ever turning it over to Messer. Even if Valentine leaves I'm not convinced Messer has a real shot at the job.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fridaynightfights's post:
  • Hi Risk Warrior