Poll: Should John Calipari be fired?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
20.83%
No
79.17%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 11(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Fire Calipari tonight
(02-20-2023, 12:00 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
(02-19-2023, 08:04 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(02-19-2023, 03:35 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
(02-19-2023, 03:19 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(02-19-2023, 02:48 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: New transfer rules have exposed bad coaches like Calipari for what they are - unscrupulous recruiters whose success depends almost entirely on how well their recruits have been coached before stepping foot on campus. Oscar Tshiebwe was well coached before he stepped foot on UK's campus. I am not sure that he was not a better player when last season began than he is now. Calipari takes credit for sending players to the NBA, who were ready for the NBA (or G-League) when they arrived in Lexington.
Cal's is in the Hall of Fame. 

Fans who bash their players and coaches 95% of the time belong in the Hall of Shame.
People who defend overpaying incompetent coaches from taxpayer funds belong in the Hall of Shame. Like Jet said, Calipari would have already been the former UK basketball coach had he not been signed to a lifetime contract for an obscenely high salary. Cal was a mediocre NBA coach, at best, and two colleges who employed him have had NCAA Final Four appearances vacated as soon as he departed. Calipari has always been more of a shady manager than a basketball coach. And nobody is blaming UK's players for Calipari's failure to earn his keep.

They don't induct shady managers into the CBB HOF.
The evidence says that you are wrong. First of all, John Calipari is not in the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame. Secondly, Calipari is in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, along with the very shady Jerry Tarkanian and Rick Pitino.

Only one other college basketball coach has ever had two Final Four/Championship tournament finishes vacated. The difference between Rick Pitino and John Calipari is that Pitino is one of the greatest college basketball coaches in history and Calipari is not.
I wouldn't trade Rick Pitino for 10 Caliparis. And if I traded Calipari to you for Tubby Smith that's one of the very few deals in history where we would both get f@cked. No wait I would win because I would get the same results and save millions.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Hoot Gibson
(02-20-2023, 12:06 AM)jetpilot Wrote:
(02-19-2023, 03:19 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Cal's is in the Hall of Fame. 

Fans who bash their players and coaches 95% of the time belong in the Hall of Shame.
People who defend overpaying incompetent coaches from taxpayer funds belong in the Hall of Shame. Like Jet said, Calipari would have already been the former UK basketball coach had he not been signed to a lifetime contract for an obscenely high salary. Cal was a mediocre NBA coach, at best, and two colleges who employed him have had NCAA Final Four appearances vacated as soon as he departed. Calipari has always been more of a shady manager than a basketball coach. And nobody is blaming UK's players for Calipari's failure to earn his keep.

The evidence says that you are wrong. First of all, John Calipari is not in the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame. Secondly, Calipari is in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, along with the very shady Jerry Tarkanian and Rick Pitino.

Only one other college basketball coach has ever had two Final Four/Championship tournament finishes vacated. The difference between Rick Pitino and John Calipari is that Pitino is one of the greatest college basketball coaches in history and Calipari is not.
I wouldn't trade Rick Pitino for 10 Caliparis. And if I traded Calipari to you for Tubby Smith that's one of the very few deals in history where we would both get f@cked. No wait I would win because I would get the same results and save millions.

You're starting to look even worse. lol   Tubby Smith , another National Championship coach, who completely outcoached Duke's HOF'er in that 17 pt. comeback on the way to title #7 . Hell of a man, too.  Not surprised you love you some Rick. He's the Matt Gaetz of College ball lol   I liked him as a coached, liked his style of play, but wouldn't trust him around a young daughter if I had one.
(02-19-2023, 03:19 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Cal's is in the Hall of Fame. 

The players would also come out ahead in the trade for Tubby because they would at least end their college careers having been taught fundamental basketball skills while on campus. Calipari just stamps players' temporary work visas. If a player accepts a scholarship to UK expecting to receive a master's level basketball education, well then the joke is on him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • jetpilot
Remember that time Cal said those players drafted into the NBA was the greatest day in UK basketball history? It made me sick to my stomach but dumb people ate it up, including the idiot athletic director who gave him a lifetime contract worth zillions that still gets deducted from my paycheck.
  • Hoot Gibson
(02-20-2023, 12:29 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(02-19-2023, 03:35 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: People who defend overpaying incompetent coaches from taxpayer funds belong in the Hall of Shame. Like Jet said, Calipari would have already been the former UK basketball coach had he not been signed to a lifetime contract for an obscenely high salary. Cal was a mediocre NBA coach, at best, and two colleges who employed him have had NCAA Final Four appearances vacated as soon as he departed. Calipari has always been more of a shady manager than a basketball coach. And nobody is blaming UK's players for Calipari's failure to earn his keep.

You're starting to look even worse. lol   Tubby Smith , another National Championship coach, who completely outcoached Duke's HOF'er in that 17 pt. comeback on the way to title #7 . Hell of a man, too.  Not surprised you love you some Rick. He's the Matt Gaetz of College ball lol   I liked him as a coached, liked his style of play, but wouldn't trust him around a young daughter if I had one.
Liberal Mind Virus sh!t from you again as always. Who could interject Matt Gaetz into a UK sports thread but a deranged liberal sicko?
While I don't fully trust this team(they could easily lose their first round NCAA game), I sure as hell wouldn't want to be their opponent in the first round, either. They literally made Auburn quit today.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • jetpilot
I already said nobody wants to face UK in the first 3 rounds. They have the momentum on their side now. Hoping to see a UK vs. Alabama SEC championship. Would be fired up for that like the old days and it would be epic in the venue and the whole country would be watching like the old days.
I saw Saban in the crowd yesterday watching Alabama and Arkansas. He looked tired and bewildered.
I hate to hate on a kid, but I really think the best thing that has happened to this team has been Wheeler’s injury. It forced Cal to play more talented guys, and now they are starting to get a little cohesion as a team. At the very least, the next few weeks should be worth watching, hasn’t always been the case recently.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • jetpilot
^^^My sentiments exactly. Last 10 times I have got excited I have immediately been shot down. Hoping for a fun postseason.
(02-26-2023, 04:05 AM)jetpilot Wrote: I already said nobody wants to face UK in the first 3 rounds. They have the momentum on their side now. Hoping to see a UK vs. Alabama SEC championship. Would be fired up for that like the old days and it would be epic in the venue and the whole country would be watching like the old days.
And I think that may very well what we'll see. UK's path to the finals will probably be  something like Missouri/Auburn , then Texas A&M. I like that path a lot. They will avoid Alabama/Tenn. until the finals. I think a #6/#7 seed is in play for the NCAA Tourney. I want to see them get off that 8/9 seed line.

UK/Alabama would be epic.  If Alabama is shooting the lights out, nobody is beating them. If their shooting from distance is off, they are very beatable, as UT showed.  Also, I have a feeling the Tide will be facing some pretty intense media scrutiny and some significant distractions in Nashville. Just a feeling.
That's not hating on a kid Van Hager; it's just the simple truth.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Granny Bear's post:
  • jetpilot
As long as UK keeps winning, it will be crickets from Cal's detractors. As my sister said yesterday, as soon as they have a bad shooting game and lose again, the Cal haters will be back in full force, burning up the internet.

When the Cats advance to the Final Four, I hope the Spudster will do the board a favor and close this damn, stupid thread. :) Cal is here until he decides he doesn't want to be here. He's won more basketbll games than anyone on this board has watched in his/her lifetime.
(02-27-2023, 11:54 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: As long as UK keeps winning, it will be crickets from Cal's detractors. As my sister said yesterday, as soon as they have a bad shooting game and lose again, the Cal haters will be back in full force, burning up the internet.

When the Cats advance to the Final Four, I hope the Spudster will do the board a favor and close this damn, stupid thread.  Smile  Cal is here until he decides he doesn't want to be here. He's won more basketbll games than anyone on this board has watched in his/her lifetime.

When they win it's because of Cal's coaching and when they lose it's bad shooting. I was hoping your sister was smarter than you. Oh well. All the facts of the last 4 years are against you but facts never get in your way.
(02-27-2023, 11:54 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: As long as UK keeps winning, it will be crickets from Cal's detractors. As my sister said yesterday, as soon as they have a bad shooting game and lose again, the Cal haters will be back in full force, burning up the internet.

When the Cats advance to the Final Four, I hope the Spudster will do the board a favor and close this damn, stupid thread.  Smile  Cal is here until he decides he doesn't want to be here. He's won more basketbll games than anyone on this board has watched in his/her lifetime.

I'm not a Cal hater.  I'm not burning up the internet.  Nothing has changed.  I have based my opinion (which I am entitled to do) on the past several years of watching UK basketball and Cal's coaching not on the performance, or lack thereof, in one or two games.

This is not a "damn stupid thread" but one that brings up a valid question and is opened for ALL opinions and interpretations.  Calling it a "damn stupid thread" is close to unduly criticizing.  Check our rules.

Lastly Cal has NOT won more basketball games than I have watched in my lifetime.
[-] The following 3 users Like Granny Bear's post:
  • Hoot Gibson, jax, Van Hagar
(02-28-2023, 09:33 AM)Granny Bear Wrote:

I'm not a Cal hater.  I'm not burning up the internet.  Nothing has changed.  I have based my opinion (which I am entitled to do) on the past several years of watching UK basketball and Cal's coaching not on the performance, or lack thereof, in one or two games.

This is not a "damn stupid thread" but one that brings up a valid question and is opened for ALL opinions and interpretations.  Calling it a "damn stupid thread" is close to unduly criticizing.  Check our rules.

Lastly Cal has NOT won more basketball games than I have watched in my lifetime.

Just checked some UK boards, and as sis and I predicted the knives are out for Cal as soon as the final buzzer sounded. 
How is this Cal's fault  :

FT
25/35

FG
19/59

AST/TO
6/11

I'm actually fine with all kinds of thread topics. They're all fun. Heck,  three or four more Fire Cal threads would be just peachy. In 2029, some will come to this thread complaining about Cal's dribble drive and one and done's.  Fun stuff.
^^^See, how it works is, when you are being paid to do a job, the people paying you and counting on you expect good results. Moreso when they are paying you many millions. Not good results 5 years ago but today and every day. Not difficult for most people to grasp.
Corey Price
@coreyp08
@KentuckyMBB
in Senior Day games between 1965 and 2019: 52-3. UK in Senior Day games since 2020: 1-3.
(03-02-2023, 02:24 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Corey Price
@coreyp08
@KentuckyMBB
in Senior Day games between 1965 and 2019: 52-3. UK in Senior Day games since 2020: 1-3.

Cal had zero to do with this Senior Day loss.  Reeves not being able to throw it in the ocean , Wallace's injury, and Toppin and Livingston not being able to defend had ALL to do with the loss. Btw, UK  is  32- 1 on Senior Day games when I eat fish but only 6-3 when I have chicken. lol
The buck stops with the guy making $10MM dummy. How many millions has Cal pocketed since he last won a NCAA tournament game.
(03-02-2023, 02:52 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(03-02-2023, 02:24 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Corey Price
@coreyp08
@KentuckyMBB

Cal had zero to do with this Senior Day loss.  Reeves not being able to throw it in the ocean , Wallace's injury, and Toppin and Livingston not being able to defend had ALL to do with the loss. Btw, UK  is  32- 1 on Senior Day games when I eat fish but only 6-3 when I have chicken. lol
Maybe the dumbest comment I have ever seen on here.
  • jax
What a costly loss this was. Not just the Wallace injury, which we can’t overcome if it’s long-term, but also the fact that a win last night would have wrapped up the three seed in the SEC tournament, and kept us out of Alabama’s side of the draw. A win at Arkansas (unlikely) still does it. A loss now and we may drop completely out of the double bye. And losing at home to South Carolina AND Vandy in the same season? Ugh.
(03-02-2023, 12:17 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Just checked some UK boards, and as sis and I predicted the knives are out for Cal as soon as the final buzzer sounded. 

FT
25/35

FG
19/59

AST/TO
6/11

I'm actually fine with all kinds of thread topics. They're all fun. Heck,  three or four more Fire Cal threads would be just peachy. In 2029, some will come to this thread complaining about Cal's dribble drive and one and done's.  Fun stuff.

I'm not going to attempt to explain to you why/how a basketball teams' performance relates to their coach.  Truth and logic appear to escape you.  And you're up to the same old tricks you often use; cynical and sarcastic comments when things don't go the way you think they should go.  I don't feel the need to debate Cal's performance with you; Cal does the best job at showing what he can and cannot do.  The BEST thing Cal has done is negotiate a ridiculous contract to reward himself for mediocre performance.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Granny Bear's post:
  • Hoot Gibson
(03-02-2023, 08:22 AM)Granny Bear Wrote:
(03-02-2023, 12:17 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:

FT
25/35

FG
19/59

AST/TO
6/11

I'm not going to attempt to explain to you why/how a basketball teams' performance relates to their coach.  Truth and logic appear to escape you.  And you're up to the same old tricks you often use; cynical and sarcastic comments when things don't go the way you think they should go.  I don't feel the need to debate Cal's performance with you; Cal does the best job at showing what he can and cannot do.  The BEST thing Cal has done is negotiate a ridiculous contract to reward himself for mediocre performance.

Yeah, I guess the logic of why Cal is at fault for his point guard going out wth injury and his shooting guard, who had to play point, couldn't throw the ball in the ocean, escapes me.  Cal was terrible at free throw shooting as well.  Even my 80 y.o. mother, who watches the games, agrees that it's the players' fault for missing wide oen 15 footers and free throws. She also doesn't think it is Cal's fault when the team struggles without its point guard. Mom's not always logical when it comes to MAGA stuff but she clearly knows why KY lost to Vandy.
We have to stop even addressing this guy. His mind can't or won't process that the head coach is responsible for 4 years of unacceptably bad results. There's nothing that can be done for him. A 5 year-old of average intelligence can grasp the concept but not him.

In other news, I didn't even realize Vandy's star player was out. It just keeps getting worse. Somehow Stackhouse managed to continue coaching his team.
Here's a question for you: Would you rather have Stackhouse as your coach + around $8 million in your pocket, or Calipari? Warning: if you guess wrong you might be mentally challenged...

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-wildc...-disaster/
Plus liberal mind virus guy has to bring up MAGA in his (very weak) argument for Cal. This is a form of mental illness and I have to ignore his posts in all but the music threads (until the inevitable happens and he politicizes them)
(03-25-2018, 07:51 PM)RunItUpTheGut Wrote:
rrp Wrote:some of the posts on here represent a few and small % of the miserable uk fans that nothing makes them happy no matter what; when things go wrong well we just quit on the team and coach; did this team frustrate most on here yes it did me as well but did i give up nope no matter what happens did we blew a golden chance at a final four yes but again giving up and quitting is just dumb and if you want to be miserable well i guess i cant help you there lol

Absolutely wrong.
You ksr lovers talk like this, when in reality you are by far the minority when you look at the entire fan base. There are a lot more people that think like us then think like you.

Definitely not the minority. OP is clearly wrong. He authored this stimulating topic back in 2018 and what was true then is still true today. Any poll that you see like this one still has 3/4 siding with not firing Cal.  The majority has never, and will never , think like the 25% who always blame the coach after losses and point to his enormous salary as proof of why is not doing the job he is paid to do. "KSR lovers" phraseology shows a clear bias against the opinions of guys like Jones who don't see the world like the OP would like everyone to view it. Jones is very critical of Cal at times but he is much more logical and balanced in his critique than "the sky is falling" quarter of UK fans.  The one positive in UK losses is sitting back and enjoying watching the illogical 25%( some pollsters say its 17%) lose their ever-loving sh!t.   lol

(03-02-2023, 02:41 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Plus liberal mind virus guy has to bring up MAGA in his (very weak) argument for Cal.  This is a form of mental illness and I have to ignore his posts in all but the music threads (until the inevitable happens and he politicizes them)
lol

You are like the guy in my subdivision who keeps his"Make liberals cry again" flag flying 365 days a year. Your hatred of liberals is eating you alive. lol   If you love UK  and UK basketball you should love liberals.  Our last five national titles have been brought home by four great Democratic patriots ,  Joe B. Hall , Rick Pitino, Tubby Smith, and Cal.  Anytime Joe B.(Hall, not Biden) showed up here in the area supporting Democrats I always went to see th ol' ball coach. Joe's dad, a Democrat, was elected to a couple terms as sherriff in Harrison Co.  Liberal hate is a mental illness. Supporting your home state team, players AND coaches is just being a good citizen ad patriot.  Smile

Not a bad record of championships for four guys like Hall, Pitino, Tubby, and Cal struck down with the "liberal mind virus."
^You are ignorant and insane.
The (Cal)valry is coming !!!  Cal's reinforcements are on their way!!!  Now is not the time for a firing and you all know that.

Masterful job by the HOF coach today, winning in one of the toughest environments in basketball without a point guard on the floor. Simply masterful.

[/url]Matt Jones

@KySportsRadio

Such a great win by this Kentucky team

John Calipari deserves a TON of credit for this performance

4:38 PM · Mar 4, 2023

Steve Horton

@Sthhorton34

·

15m

Replying to

@KySportsRadio

Don’t you EVER say Cal. Any coach and the game has passed him by.  He just whipped your Boy Mussleman (and any one else who you want more than Cal) and it wasn’t even close.
He is OUR coach and with every penny of the $9million

Darren

@Dmonz21

·

18m

Replying to

@KySportsRadio
Yea I guess maybe he shouldn’t be fired and can coach huh

[url=https://twitter.com/Sthhorton34/status/1632134151087222785/analytics]Jake Hiser

@jake_hiser21

·

22m

Replying to

@KySportsRadio
Cal coached circles around that little boy Mussleman

Tyler Mitchell
@tcmitch2014
·
35m
Replying to
@KySportsRadio
One of the best coaching jobs he’s ever done at Kentucky.
  •  Previous
  • 11(current)
  • Next