Poll: Should John Calipari be fired?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
20.83%
No
79.17%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 10(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Fire Calipari tonight
(02-12-2023, 05:24 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(02-11-2023, 07:29 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: Just as a quick addition of salt to the wounds, Keion Brooks is leading Washington this year, averaging 18 points and 7 rebounds a game. And Bryce Hopkins, who was a clear talent that was totally mishandled, is averaging 16 and 9 for Providence and is considered a contender for Big East player of the year.

Don't forget Johnny Juzang. Averaged 2.9 for Cal at UK, transferred to UCLA and averaged 16.0 and 15.6 for the Bruins the next two seasons. Now playing in the NBA.

No one gets more dudes to the NBA than our Cal.  You all will be singing his praises after Big Blue wins #9 next season.

If UK has a dozen losses next season and misses the tourney or has a first game exit, then I'll be ready to move on from Cal. Do you all really think Scott Drew offers UK a better chance to advance to a FF next season than Cal does with his 5-star recruits? I say give the Jersey Boy a chance to make a deep run next season.
^Calipari is a great recruiter. He does not get any player to the NBA. The players that play for him and then make it in the NBA would probably be better off jumping from high school directly to the NBA and then go to the G-League. Calipari is a great example of a coach who takes credit for the athleticism and talent of players whose development he has made minimal contributions. As Jet and others have pointed out, many players who have struggled under Cal's "coaching" have excelled in other programs. 

In fact, many players who have excelled in their rookie NBA seasons were not impact players at UK. Remember, Devon Booker was not good enough to start over either of the Harrison twins when he played for Calipari and UK blew a possible championship because Tyler Ulis and Booker spent too much time on the bench.
(02-12-2023, 08:28 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: ^Calipari is a great recruiter. He does not get any player to the NBA. The players that play for him and then make it in the NBA would probably be better off jumping from high school directly to the NBA and then go to the G-League. Calipari is a great example of a coach who takes credit for the athleticism and talent of players whose development he has made minimal contributions. As Jet and others have pointed out, many players who have struggled under Cal's "coaching" have excelled in other programs. 

In fact, many players who have excelled in their rookie NBA seasons were not impact players at UK. Remember, Devon Booker was not good enough to start over either of the Harrison twins when he played for Calipari and UK blew a possible championship because Tyler Ulis and Booker spent too much time on the bench.

UK would have never made the FF without Harrison hitting those last second shots in , I believe , three steraight games.  

Granted, Cal's substitution patterns sometimes appear rather head-scratching. But, I chalk it up to him knowing his team better than internet warriors ,Old School Hound and Hoot Gibson.
(02-13-2023, 12:02 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(02-12-2023, 08:28 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: ^Calipari is a great recruiter. He does not get any player to the NBA. The players that play for him and then make it in the NBA would probably be better off jumping from high school directly to the NBA and then go to the G-League. Calipari is a great example of a coach who takes credit for the athleticism and talent of players whose development he has made minimal contributions. As Jet and others have pointed out, many players who have struggled under Cal's "coaching" have excelled in other programs. 

UK would have never made the FF without Harrison hitting those last second shots in , I believe , three steraight games.  

Granted, Cal's substitution patterns sometimes appear rather head-scratching. But, I chalk it up to him knowing his team better than internet warriors ,Old School Hound and Hoot Gibson.
Nobody in their right mind would have started either Harrison over Booker. Yet, that is exactly what Calipari did for an entire season. Booker is very probably a future NBA Hall of Famer who started 51 games as a rookie in the NBA a year after not starting a single game for UK. Where are the Harrisons now? Not in the NBA. John Calipari impeded Devin Booker's career. He wasted a year at Kentucky when he could have been playing for a good coach.
(02-13-2023, 12:02 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Somebody just shoot me. OSH, your virtue signaling is admirable. Not. It makes you look...oh hell never mind. Plus you just said it's not Cal's fault when players miss shots, now you want to give him credit for shots a player made years ago. Geez I wonder if your posts are real sometimes or just trolling. Hopefully for you just trolling lol.
Just to be clear, there are tons of people who would have done a better job than Cal the last 3 years. Pretty much everyone knows this.
I gave Harrison credit for making those shots. If Cal subs himself in the game and makes shots I will give him credit. Players win or lose games by making or not making shots. Pretty simple. Top-ranked Purdue lost to Northwestern today because they didn't make shots. Their coach couldn't shoot for them.  

UT has lost to Vandy and Mizzou the past week. UNC , like UK,  is on the bubble. Gonzaga lost at home to Marymount a couple weeks ago. There are no great teams this season. Lots of good coaches but not great teams. UK is in good company . Again, no coach has more FF's, Elite Eights, or NCAA tourney wins since 2010 than the Jersey Boy. 

Btw, always good to see our UK boys from the past come back home to pay a visit. Extra special when two great Americans like John & John are there to greet them.    Bam Adebayo and De' Aaron Fox making big time NBA bucks now thanks to Coach Cal.

[Image: https://scontent.fosu2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v...e=64111D96]
Coaches can't shoot free throws, dribble, pass, or rebound either. If John Calipari has no responsibility for the performance of his team, what is he being paid to do between recruiting visits? As JP said, I hope for your sake that you are just trolling and not actually as dumb as some of your posts suggest.  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • jetpilot
He has killed me. I am dead now. Somebody throw dirt on me. Comparing where Purdue is right now with UK just lowered my IQ 10 points for having read it. Then putting Kerry on my screen. I'm going to stay off this thread and go work the Sunday NYT crossword to get my lost IQ points back.
How dare you guys even insinuate that I would ever troll!!! LOL

Saying that I am trolling would be akin to me saying that much of your disdain of our successful coach is due to his history of raising a lot of money for Democratic Party candidates and causes. And I would never, ever insinuate such a thing. :)
I couldn't care less who Cal votes for or supports. I do care that the basketball program at my alma mater is in the toilet and as head coach the buck stops with him, period.

Liberal Mind Virus in effect again as it always is with you. Can't even talk about our damn basketball coach without it devolving into idiotic liberal politics. I'm out. Coach 'em up Cal! LOL
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Hoot Gibson
Last post. I like OHS but sometimes I want to talk to him like this LOL.
Warning: MUCH hilarious and harmless cursing. If it is too much a mod can delete. DON'T CLICK IF CURSING OFFENDS YOU.
This is a phone salesman trying to explain simple facts to a brainwashed sheep back in the day. Animated. Hilarious.

(02-13-2023, 02:15 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Last post. I like OHS but sometimes I want to talk to him like this LOL.
Warning: MUCH hilarious and harmless cursing. If it is too much a mod can delete. DON'T CLICK IF CURSING OFFENDS YOU.
This is a phone salesman trying to explain simple facts to a brainwashed sheep back in the day. Animated. Hilarious.

LOVE IT!!!  VERY funny!!!  Love harmless cursing.

I love you guys, but  to paraphrase the dude in the video, sometimes you make me wanna chop off my own peter.   Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • jetpilot
LOL. He is going to chop it off so he won’t have kids growing up in a world populated by d!psh!ts. Hilarious.
I got DirecTV long before it was sold to AT&T. After that sale, the customer service, quality and other aspects of Direct went straight down the tubes.

I loved it so much that I put up with it for some years. Well, I wanted to make a change BUT my ex-husband's name was on the account. It didn't matter that he never paid the first bill in 20+ years, no one would even talk to me.

So, I waited a couple of weeks and called them back. I gave my name as my ex's name. They wanted to know why I was leaving their wonderful network....so I told them. That conversation reminds me of your recording.

I now have DISH.
AT&T is one of the crappiest companies on Earth no doubt. I still have cell service through them. If you have ever had to talk to a human there, you never forget it lol.
Ever have a robotic technician impersonate a human? I have....at AT&T.
Cal with two wins this season against his friend, Mr. Barnes.

A couple wins next week against FLA and Auburn and the Cats should be safely in the tourney. Cal may turn this thing around yet.

Probably nothing but crickets on here today. lol
The silence will be deafening in this thread till we lose again.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • Old School Hound
And the people who think Cal is worth $10 mil a year for life will continue to look like idiots until this 4 year nightmare and still going ends.
I’m starting to think UK is a dangerous team but then I remember St Peters 5 white guys all wearing pop bottle thick eyeglasses bounced them last year
(02-18-2023, 11:33 PM)jetpilot Wrote: And the people who think Cal is worth $10 mil a year for life will continue to look like idiots until this 4 year nightmare and still going ends.
I’m starting to think UK is a dangerous team but then I remember St Peters 5 white guys all wearing pop bottle thick eyeglasses bounced them last year

I don't think any coach is worth that kind of money but I don't blame them for taking it.  I also think it would be a mistake to move on from Cal after this season. At one point I was kinda on the fence but now I want to see wht he does next season. Gonna have to pay him either way . He has a really good class coming in and I don't see another coach producing a better season than what Cal will next year with his class of recruits.
I see a lot of coaches producing a better season next year...but I'm willing to watch this year. UK very dangerous but every time I'm optimistic they immediately go off the rails. I will say nobody wants to face UK in the first 3 rounds if they get in but neither did St Peters last year...
(02-19-2023, 04:12 AM)jetpilot Wrote: I see a lot of coaches producing a better season next year...but I'm willing to watch this year. UK very dangerous but every time I'm optimistic they immediately go off the rails. I will say nobody wants to face UK in the first 3 rounds if they get in but neither did St Peters last year...

This is probably the most wide open I've ever seen college basketball. There are no dominant teams. Bama and Kansas are really good but they are certainly not invincible. This may very well be a year a mid-major makes a run to the title.  Creighton? I wouldn't be shocked to see KY advance to the FF, nor would I be surprised to see them exit the first game.
New transfer rules have exposed bad coaches like Calipari for what they are - unscrupulous recruiters whose success depends almost entirely on how well their recruits have been coached before stepping foot on campus. Oscar Tshiebwe was well coached before he stepped foot on UK's campus. I am not sure that he was not a better player when last season began than he is now. Calipari takes credit for sending players to the NBA, who were ready for the NBA (or G-League) when they arrived in Lexington.
(02-19-2023, 02:48 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: New transfer rules have exposed bad coaches like Calipari for what they are - unscrupulous recruiters whose success depends almost entirely on how well their recruits have been coached before stepping foot on campus. Oscar Tshiebwe was well coached before he stepped foot on UK's campus. I am not sure that he was not a better player when last season began than he is now. Calipari takes credit for sending players to the NBA, who were ready for the NBA (or G-League) when they arrived in Lexington.
Cal's is in the Hall of Fame. 

Fans who bash their players and coaches 95% of the time belong in the Hall of Shame.
1. Nobody is bashing the players.
2. Anyone who didn't have a lifetime contract would have been run out of Lexington for the performance of the last 4 years.
(02-19-2023, 03:19 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(02-19-2023, 02:48 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: New transfer rules have exposed bad coaches like Calipari for what they are - unscrupulous recruiters whose success depends almost entirely on how well their recruits have been coached before stepping foot on campus. Oscar Tshiebwe was well coached before he stepped foot on UK's campus. I am not sure that he was not a better player when last season began than he is now. Calipari takes credit for sending players to the NBA, who were ready for the NBA (or G-League) when they arrived in Lexington.

Fans who bash their players and coaches 95% of the time belong in the Hall of Shame.
People who defend overpaying incompetent coaches from taxpayer funds belong in the Hall of Shame. Like Jet said, Calipari would have already been the former UK basketball coach had he not been signed to a lifetime contract for an obscenely high salary. Cal was a mediocre NBA coach, at best, and two colleges who employed him have had NCAA Final Four appearances vacated as soon as he departed. Calipari has always been more of a shady manager than a basketball coach. And nobody is blaming UK's players for Calipari's failure to earn his keep.
(02-19-2023, 03:35 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

People who defend overpaying incompetent coaches from taxpayer funds belong in the Hall of Shame. Like Jet said, Calipari would have already been the former UK basketball coach had he not been signed to a lifetime contract for an obscenely high salary. Cal was a mediocre NBA coach, at best, and two colleges who employed him have had NCAA Final Four appearances vacated as soon as he departed. Calipari has always been more of a shady manager than a basketball coach. And nobody is blaming UK's players for Calipari's failure to earn his keep.

They don't induct shady managers into the CBB HOF.
(02-19-2023, 08:04 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

OSH you are totally clueless. Last 4 years results wouldn't get you a ball boy job at Alice Lloyd. BUT HE GOT AN AWARD!!! LOLOLOLOL how dumb. But here is another thing that is obvious to me - with your Liberal Mind Virus brain damage if Cal donated money to Republicans and had his picture made with Donald Trump instead of the John Kerry pic you posted, you would not only want him fired but would want all his assets seized and him thrown in jail. 

I am hopeful he turns this nightmare around. I want UK basketball to be back on top. But your takes on Cal are like all your takes, way off base and through the lens of an ignorant brainwashed political hack.
(02-19-2023, 08:04 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

The evidence says that you are wrong. First of all, John Calipari is not in the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame. Secondly, Calipari is in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, along with the very shady Jerry Tarkanian and Rick Pitino.

The list of college basketball coaches who have ever had two Final Four/Championship tournament finishes vacated is a very short one. The difference between Rick Pitino and John Calipari is that Pitino is one of the greatest college basketball coaches in history and Calipari is not.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • jetpilot
  •  Previous
  • 10(current)
  • Next