Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dunking During Pre-Game Warmups: Stupid rule/excessive punishment???
(02-05-2023, 08:11 PM)13th Wrote:
(02-05-2023, 02:53 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(02-05-2023, 02:07 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Should be an ejection of the player if done in pregame, no reason for it.

I would be okay with this. But it simply isn't enforced, much like the coach out of the coaching box isn't enforced. What I don't like is picking and choosing rare instances where the rule IS enorced. Eiher get rid of the dumb, antiquated rule, or else, enforce it when it is violated EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.

Man you're just flat out wrong on this - let it go.  Every player knows you can only dunk the first few minutes of warmups.  Most teams has a coach that keeps a look out for officials and lets the kids know to quit.  Its been this way for decades.  Corbin screwed up, it sucks Coach P got suspended for it, but everyone that plays and coaches knows the rule.

So, it's within the rules to dunk during the first few minutes of warmups?  Some on here have stated that it's never within the rules to dunk during warmups? Seems like there's some confusion.  Is dunking NEVER allowed pre-game, according to the rules?  If so, why is it allowed except when officials come on the court? 

Is it a case where teams break the rule every game but only for 15 minutes or so? Then after 15 minutes they stop breaking the rule?  Why are teams allowed to break the rule at all?  Seems like the easiest solution would be to either change the rule to allow dunking at all times during warmup or else make it known to teams that ANY dunking during warmups will be subject to player ejection. That would likely stop it.  Seems more confusing than it should be.

(02-05-2023, 08:58 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(02-05-2023, 02:07 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Should be an ejection of the player if done in pregame, no reason for it.

I would be okay with this. But it simply isn't enforced, much like the coach out of the coaching box isn't enforced. What I don't like is picking and choosing rare instances where the rule IS enorced. Eiher get rid of the dumb, antiquated rule, or else, enforce it when it is violated EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.

Man you're just flat out wrong on this - let it go.  Every player knows you can only dunk the first few minutes of warmups.  Most teams has a coach that keeps a look out for officials and lets the kids know to quit.  Its been this way for decades.  Corbin screwed up, it sucks Coach P got suspended for it, but everyone that plays and coaches knows the rule.

So, it's within the rules to dunk during the first few minutes of warmups?  Some on here have stated that it's never within the rules to dunk during warmups? Seems like there's some confusion.  Is dunking NEVER allowed pre-game, according to the rules?  If so, why is it allowed except when officials come on the court? 

Is it a case where teams break the rule every game but only for 15 minutes or so? Then after 15 minutes they stop breaking the rule?  Why are teams allowed to break the rule at all?  Seems like the easiest solution would be to either change the rule to allow dunking at all times during warmup or else make it known to teams that ANY dunking during warmups will be subject to player ejection. That would likely stop it.  Seems more confusing than it should be.

It's real simple. The officials don't have jurisdiction of the game until they take the court.  Dunking is not supposed to happen at all during warmups. However, until the officials take to the court there is no one there to enforce the rule. No one can go tattle to the officials to get a technical called.  Once they take the court, they control what happens until they leave the court at the end of the game.  That means that they can still eject coaches and players after the final buzzer if something happens as they leave the floor.
(02-06-2023, 10:17 AM)Walt Longmire Wrote:

It's real simple. The officials don't have jurisdiction of the game until they take the court.  Dunking is not supposed to happen at all during warmups. However, until the officials take to the court there is no one there to enforce the rule. No one can go tattle to the officials to get a technical called.  Once they take the court, they control what happens until they leave the court at the end of the game.  That means that they can still eject coaches and players after the final buzzer if something happens as they leave the floor.

Thanks for the clarification,  Walt.  Do they have jurisiction when they are walking TO the court? Let's say they are chatting with some parents coming out of the locker room or talking to an AD before going onto the floor?  Or do they have to be on the actual playing court to have jurisdiction to assess a technical?
(02-06-2023, 10:52 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(02-05-2023, 02:53 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: I would be okay with this. But it simply isn't enforced, much like the coach out of the coaching box isn't enforced. What I don't like is picking and choosing rare instances where the rule IS enorced. Eiher get rid of the dumb, antiquated rule, or else, enforce it when it is violated EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.

Thanks for the clarification,  Walt.  Do they have jurisiction when they are walking TO the court? Let's say they are chatting with some parents coming out of the locker room or talking to an AD before going onto the floor?  Or do they have to be on the actual playing court to have jurisdiction to assess a technical?

I don't know the actual wording. But I would think that they would be considered taking control of the game once they enter the gym and can see what is happening.
Can they throw the ball down long as they don't contact the Rim ???Without a T.
(02-06-2023, 01:54 PM)Walt Longmire Wrote:
(02-06-2023, 10:52 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(02-05-2023, 08:11 PM)13th Wrote: Man you're just flat out wrong on this - let it go.  Every player knows you can only dunk the first few minutes of warmups.  Most teams has a coach that keeps a look out for officials and lets the kids know to quit.  Its been this way for decades.  Corbin screwed up, it sucks Coach P got suspended for it, but everyone that plays and coaches knows the rule.

I don't know the actual wording. But I would think that they would be considered taking control of the game once they enter the gym and can see what is happening.

That's exactly how it was explained to me Walt by 4 different officials that I had asked.  But I was trying to find the rule book to substantiate it.  I can't without paying for a download of the rule book.
(02-07-2023, 05:18 PM)Granny Bear Wrote:
(02-05-2023, 08:58 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: So, it's within the rules to dunk during the first few minutes of warmups?  Some on here have stated that it's never within the rules to dunk during warmups? Seems like there's some confusion.  Is dunking NEVER allowed pre-game, according to the rules?  If so, why is it allowed except when officials come on the court? 

That's exactly how it was explained to me Walt by 4 different officials that I had asked.  But I was trying to find the rule book to substantiate it.  I can't without paying for a download of the rule book.

It's ridiculous , imo, to have to pay $7 to look at the rule book.
(02-10-2023, 01:26 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(02-06-2023, 10:17 AM)Walt Longmire Wrote: It's real simple. The officials don't have jurisdiction of the game until they take the court.  Dunking is not supposed to happen at all during warmups. However, until the officials take to the court there is no one there to enforce the rule. No one can go tattle to the officials to get a technical called.  Once they take the court, they control what happens until they leave the court at the end of the game.  That means that they can still eject coaches and players after the final buzzer if something happens as they leave the floor.

The "everybody does it" defense, basketball edition. You can't suspend referees for enforcing the rules. Unless Corbin's opponents broke the rule on pre-game dunking and the referees failed to enforce the rule, then Corbin fans have no legitimate beef.
(02-10-2023, 01:37 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
(02-06-2023, 10:52 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: Thanks for the clarification,  Walt.  Do they have jurisiction when they are walking TO the court? Let's say they are chatting with some parents coming out of the locker room or talking to an AD before going onto the floor?  Or do they have to be on the actual playing court to have jurisdiction to assess a technical?

The "everybody does it" defense, basketball edition. You can't suspend referees for enforcing the rules. Unless Corbin's opponents broke the rule on pre-game dunking and the referees failed to enforce the rule, then Corbin fans have no legitimate beef.
Bottom line it is a rule.. However, it was being enforced on coach P for a reason. Could it have been get back for roof leak at Corbin that caused South to come back to Corbin and play a 4 minute game? Haha.. who knows the why of it but it happened and now these refs set a precedent that should be followed by all going forward..
(02-10-2023, 02:12 PM)Playcaller66 Wrote:
(02-10-2023, 01:37 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
(02-06-2023, 01:54 PM)Walt Longmire Wrote: I don't know the actual wording. But I would think that they would be considered taking control of the game once they enter the gym and can see what is happening.

Bottom line it is a rule.. However, it was being enforced on coach P for a reason. Could it have been get back for roof leak at Corbin that caused South to come back to Corbin and play a 4 minute game? Haha.. who knows the why of it but it happened and now these refs set a precedent that should be followed by all going forward..
Correct. It's an antiquated rule that is almost never enforced but it was a rule that several people knew was gonna be enforced on that night before Corbin ever took the floor for warmups.
So it was a conspiracy to set a Corbin trap?
(02-10-2023, 03:24 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: So it was a conspiracy to set a Corbin trap?

I wasn't there that night. Just heard talk.  Plus, I fully expected the Dog and Pony  to put it to  Tony.

I was at the Corbin-South game a Corbin a week earlier and the South Coach and fans complained literally all game long, from tip to final whistle. I said to someone at the game's conclusion that South would cook up something really special in a week in South London. I told him to watch and see.  He saw...