Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
WYMT Tournament
(12-07-2022, 01:02 PM)Grinch1 Wrote: If I’m not mistaken Sperry took the covid year and rumor has it was already a hold back before that so technically he could be a senior. Am I right  about that?  If I am then he’s at least 17. So his grade doesn’t really have anything to do with it.  Now I could be totally wrong so if I am I apologize. Now you could be on to something about the coaches different styles of play but Cam Justice seem to do okay in BB style.
Oh you’re going to piss some people off lol. But you’re 100 percent right. He’s 17 years old be 18 this summer
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mountainparkway's post:
  • Grinch1
(12-07-2022, 01:02 PM)Grinch1 Wrote: If I’m not mistaken Sperry took the covid year and rumor has it was already a hold back before that so technically he could be a senior. Am I right  about that?  If I am then he’s at least 17. So his grade doesn’t really have anything to do with it.  Now I could be totally wrong so if I am I apologize. Now you could be on to something about the coaches different styles of play but Cam Justice seem to do okay in BB style.
Hold backs couldn't take covid year. Would violate the age rule.
According to Bylaw 3, students who turn 19 prior to August 1 are ineligible for high school athletics. 
(12-07-2022, 03:42 PM)Slim one Wrote:
Hold backs couldn't take covid year. Would violate the age rule.
According to Bylaw 3, students who turn 19 prior to August 1 are ineligible for high school athletics. 
You say hold backs couldn’t take covid but then bylaw 9 says they can as long as they have a fall birthdate.  So technically they can if they have an excellent birth month. So a kid can hold back in middle school and at the time turn 18 right after August 1st and then use Covid year and now turn 19 after August first. Idk about you but I was 17 majority of my senior year.  So yeah you can hold back and still do covid if you turn 19 after August 1st.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Grinch1's post:
  • Mountainparkway
(12-07-2022, 12:15 PM)Mountainparkway Wrote:
(12-07-2022, 09:01 AM)Grinch1 Wrote: I got to watch most of the Breathitt vs MC game.  MC played an extended 2-3 zone and it seemed to give Breathitt problems all game. Sperry isn’t much of a threat from 3 and with Collins and Hoskins both in the lane, there were no driving lanes against the zone. If MC had one more scorer to help Hale, they would have won this game.  Slowing Breathitt down with the zone was a great game plan.  Sperry needs to work on his shot a lot more before id consider him top anything.  If you can’t shoot, then you can be guarded.
Been saying this about sperry for two years now. I’ve said he has poor shot form and needs to work on it. He’s nothing more than a mediocre athlete in a weak region. Big bobcat is a fool. He will eat a lot of crow if he sticks around. You’re not D-1 ready and this woke environment we live in now dont like to hear the truth.

(12-07-2022, 10:55 AM)BigBadBobcat Wrote:
(12-07-2022, 09:01 AM)Grinch1 Wrote: I got to watch most of the Breathitt vs MC game.  MC played an extended 2-3 zone and it seemed to give Breathitt problems all game. Sperry isn’t much of a threat from 3 and with Collins and Hoskins both in the lane, there were no driving lanes against the zone. If MC had one more scorer to help Hale, they would have won this game.  Slowing Breathitt down with the zone was a great game plan.  Sperry needs to work on his shot a lot more before id consider him top anything.  If you can’t shoot, then you can be guarded.
I think Sperry will play at the next level. Mountains basketball is a whole different thing than basketball. Can’t name 5 schools in D1 that run an extended 2-3 zone. Any guess what… MC didn’t have another score. Survive and advance baby. Breathitt on top till their not. Get on the train before it leaves you. #Catsby90
Gues what? Defenders at the next level actually guard people and a 6’3 guard has to be able to shoot. And breathitt hasn’t been on top since 96 lol.
Pretty sure Kentucky has a 5'8 guard who cannot shoot... Go culture yourself and stop hating on kids. Go watch Sperry play summer ball where all they do is plan Man to Man and watch him dominate.
Again he’s 17 and will be 18 this summer. He will be 18 starting his junior year and by the skin of his teeth he will be eligible his senior year at 19

I don’t care how u slice it slim one he’s a old G lol
(12-07-2022, 03:59 PM)Mountainparkway Wrote: Again he’s 17 and will be 18 this summer. He will be 18 starting his junior year and by the skin of his teeth he will be eligible his senior year at 19

I don’t care how u slice it slim one he’s a old G lol
Old G? The kid just turned 17 years old. He is a sophomore. He has 2-3 more years of high school basketball. The kid is not a holdback. He took a covid year just like every other kid in the state.
Don’t be so woke Bobcat fan. I’d liked to seen wheeler play in the 14th. Lol don’t be comparing this kid to another D-1 guard that has led the sec in assist. Your kidding aren’t you. AAU ball is a joke. Everyone knows they don’t play defense in AAU summer ball

Just turned 17? What’s his birthdate

Can’t wait till Friday night so you can eat some crow. Breathitt by 15 bhahaha
(12-07-2022, 04:02 PM)Mountainparkway Wrote: Don’t be so woke Bobcat fan. I’d liked to seen wheeler play in the 14th. Lol don’t be comparing this kid to another D-1 guard that has led the sec in assist. Your kidding aren’t you. AAU ball is a joke. Everyone knows they don’t play defense in AAU summer ball

AAU ball is a joke? A lot of highly recruited players do not even play high school and just play AAU. Name one college coach you've seen in the mountains. Seems like you're stuck in the 80's. Pretty sure his Birthday was in September. He technically could stay back again if he wanted lol. Get your facts straight old man.
17 years old as a Sophomore is really old. For comparison Devin Booker didn’t turn 18 until second semester of his freshman year at UK. Sperry will be a 20 years old before he ever plays his first College game. Some kids graduate High School at 17. If he only took advantage of a Covid year at 17 years old would make him a junior not a sophomore. That was my whole argument. People saying give the kid time, we’ll technically he should already be a senior if I’m not mistaken. He will be 20 years old as a college freshman. From what I saw against MC last night the 2-3 zone gave him problems cause he isn’t a shooter. In college, coaches will actually scout him and take away the lane and make him shoot the same way they do with Wheeler. I’m done ranting. Kid is a good athletes but let’s not act like he is in the same league as a Cam Justice or a Braxton Beverly for that matter. Those guys could score multiple ways.
(12-07-2022, 04:11 PM)Grinch1 Wrote: 17 years old as a Sophomore is really old.  For comparison Devin Booker didn’t turn 18 until second semester of his freshman year at UK.  Sperry will be a 20 years old before he ever plays his first College game. Some kids graduate High School at 17.  If he only took advantage of a Covid year at 17 years old would make him a junior not a sophomore. That was my whole argument. People saying give the kid time, we’ll technically he should already be a senior if I’m not mistaken. He will be 20 years old as a college freshman.  From what I saw against MC last night the 2-3 zone gave him problems cause he isn’t a shooter. In college, coaches will actually scout him and take away the lane and make him shoot the same way they do with Wheeler.  I’m done ranting.  Kid is a good athletes but let’s not act like he is in the same league as a Cam Justice or a Braxton Beverly for that matter. Those guys could score multiple ways.
The kid still could have 3 more years of high school. Last time I checked colleges don't have an age limit. Braxton was 21 when he played in his first college game and Justice was 20. So yeah Sperry is young considering. no one compared him to those players. There are plenty of players in the college level who cannot shoot and do just fine. Hype these kids up instead of pooping on their dreams.
(12-07-2022, 04:06 PM)BigBadBobcat Wrote:
(12-07-2022, 04:02 PM)Mountainparkway Wrote: Don’t be so woke Bobcat fan. I’d liked to seen wheeler play in the 14th. Lol don’t be comparing this kid to another D-1 guard that has led the sec in assist. Your kidding aren’t you. AAU ball is a joke. Everyone knows they don’t play defense in AAU summer ball

AAU ball is a joke? A lot of highly recruited players do not even play high school and just play AAU. Name one college coach you've seen in the mountains. Seems like you're stuck in the 80's. Pretty sure his Birthday was in September. He technically could stay back again if he wanted lol. Get your facts straight old man.
He definitely can’t stay back again if he turned 17 in September. He would 18 as a junior and 19 as a senior.  If he stayed back that would make him 20 as a senior. That isn’t possible.

(12-07-2022, 04:15 PM)BigBadBobcat Wrote:
(12-07-2022, 04:11 PM)Grinch1 Wrote: 17 years old as a Sophomore is really old.  For comparison Devin Booker didn’t turn 18 until second semester of his freshman year at UK.  Sperry will be a 20 years old before he ever plays his first College game. Some kids graduate High School at 17.  If he only took advantage of a Covid year at 17 years old would make him a junior not a sophomore. That was my whole argument. People saying give the kid time, we’ll technically he should already be a senior if I’m not mistaken. He will be 20 years old as a college freshman.  From what I saw against MC last night the 2-3 zone gave him problems cause he isn’t a shooter. In college, coaches will actually scout him and take away the lane and make him shoot the same way they do with Wheeler.  I’m done ranting.  Kid is a good athletes but let’s not act like he is in the same league as a Cam Justice or a Braxton Beverly for that matter. Those guys could score multiple ways.
The kid still could have 3 more years of high school. Last time I checked colleges don't have an age limit. Braxton was 21 when he played in his first college game and Justice was 20. So yeah Sperry is young considering. no one compared him to those players. There are plenty of players in the college level who cannot shoot and do just fine. Hype these kids up instead of pooping on their dreams.
I’m not pooping on his dreams.  Someone responded to me saying give the kid time and I was just trying to prove he technically shouldn’t be a sophomore.  I wish the kid nothing but the best but turning 19 as senior is pretty old. 

The zone d hurt him last night. More coaches are gonna see that and make him shoot. That’s all I was saying. Nothing more.
(12-07-2022, 04:16 PM)Grinch1 Wrote:

He definitely can’t stay back again if he turned 17 in September. He would 18 as a junior and 19 as a senior.  If he stayed back that would make him 20 as a senior. That isn’t possible.

I’m not pooping on his dreams.  Someone responded to me saying give the kid time and I was just trying to prove he technically shouldn’t be a sophomore.  I wish the kid nothing but the best but turning 19 as senior is pretty old. 

The zone d hurt him last night. More coaches are gonna see that and make him shoot. That’s all I was saying. Nothing more.
Actually it is possible. He can go to prep school like Beverly did and take a 5th year if he wants. So technically he has 3 more years of high school left.
(12-07-2022, 04:22 PM)BigBadBobcat Wrote:

Actually it is possible. He can go to prep school like Beverly did and take a 5th year if he wants. So technically he has 3 more years of high school left.
We’re talking about high school in KY, not prep school. A prep school isn’t High School, it’s a college preparatory school. Used for kids who don’t have great grades.  Kid use it for basketball to try to get a better college offer.  In Ky high school basketball you can’t be 20 years old and play.
(12-07-2022, 04:29 PM)Grinch1 Wrote:
(12-07-2022, 04:22 PM)BigBadBobcat Wrote:

We’re talking about high school in KY, not prep school. A prep school isn’t High School, it’s a college preparatory school. Used for kids who don’t have great grades.  Kid use it for basketball to try to get a better college offer.  In Ky high school basketball you can’t be 20 years old and play.
A prep school is most certainly high school lol. Kids go to prep school from the time they are 9th grade. I was saying he has 3 more years left of high school before college if he plans to do that. That is a long time to develop somewhat of a 3 point shot.
(12-07-2022, 12:52 PM)Reds#1Fan Wrote: It’s important to remember that Sperry is just a Sophomore. He doesn’t have to play D1 basketball right now. Now if he doesn’t improve some areas in his game over the next 3 years yes I think he will struggle to play at a high level but that’s 3 years away. The transition to playing for BB from John’s style is the hardest for Sperry. He had complete freedom last season. BB is all about execution and playing under control. When Sperry gets a feel for that Breathitt will take another step forward. It might take a month or so for that to happen. After all he has only been playing basketball for a couple weeks now. Breathitt like most teams aren’t playing at their highest level right now. That’s why I hate the new schedule for the WYMT I always thought you got a better idea of every teams ability when it was played in January.
He’s a double hold back.  Should be a senior.  Didn’t score until last two minutes of the games.  At least 10 turnovers.
[-] The following 1 user Likes wannacat's post:
  • Mountainparkway
My dawgs looked good last night although we came up short. We have to knock down free throws and defend a little better. I liked the intensity in the 4th quarter. I think Harlan county is the team to beat. I don't think Perry or Breathitt look as good as advertised, but we shall see. My predictions tonight are Harlan county and Betsy Layne winners. Good luck to all teams.
(12-07-2022, 06:10 PM)The Dogfather Wrote: My dawgs looked good last night although we came up short.  We have to knock down free throws and defend a little better.  I liked the intensity in the 4th quarter.  I think Harlan county is the team to beat.  I don't think Perry or Breathitt look as good as advertised, but we shall see.  My predictions tonight are Harlan county and Betsy Layne winners.  Good luck to all teams.
I agree that Harlan County is the team to beat for sure. I do think if Rydge plays tonight, they will beat BL.
(12-07-2022, 06:10 PM)The Dogfather Wrote: My dawgs looked good last night although we came up short.  We have to knock down free throws and defend a little better.  I liked the intensity in the 4th quarter.  I think Harlan county is the team to beat.  I don't think Perry or Breathitt look as good as advertised, but we shall see.  My predictions tonight are Harlan county and Betsy Layne winners.  Good luck to all teams.
I hate to see a game end with foul shots and essentially no time left on the clock. I watched it back a couple times and the foul is tough to see. Play on into overtime and let the best team win. I'm no Hazard fan but geeze.
(12-07-2022, 05:44 PM)wannacat Wrote:
(12-07-2022, 12:52 PM)Reds#1Fan Wrote: It’s important to remember that Sperry is just a Sophomore. He doesn’t have to play D1 basketball right now. Now if he doesn’t improve some areas in his game over the next 3 years yes I think he will struggle to play at a high level but that’s 3 years away. The transition to playing for BB from John’s style is the hardest for Sperry. He had complete freedom last season. BB is all about execution and playing under control. When Sperry gets a feel for that Breathitt will take another step forward. It might take a month or so for that to happen. After all he has only been playing basketball for a couple weeks now. Breathitt like most teams aren’t playing at their highest level right now. That’s why I hate the new schedule for the WYMT I always thought you got a better idea of every teams ability when it was played in January.
He’s a double hold back.  Should be a senior.  Didn’t score until last two minutes of the games.  At least 10 turnovers.
Amen brother been saying this too. Way out of control. I see there is still a few truth speakers out there.
Lol love this..and I agree with mountain parkway you are going to piss a lot of people off but facts are facts..but again he and his family was smart enough to take advantage of what was given to him..but he can’t play at any KY school his senior year so I’m sure they got a prep school in mind..reminds me of the Braxton Beverly stuff..they played it very well for him to play around here then he goes off
(12-08-2022, 02:04 AM)MADDBOMBER14 Wrote:
Lol love this..and I agree with mountain parkway you are going to piss a lot of people off but facts are facts..but again he and his family was smart enough to take advantage of what was given to him..but he can’t play at any KY school his senior year so I’m sure they got a prep school in mind..reminds me of the Braxton Beverly stuff..they played it very well for him to play around here then he goes off
Sperry won't turn 19 until after the cutoff date his senior year which is after August 1 so he's good to go at any school. Double hold back stuff is just a lie by those who choose to hate for whatever reason. I kinda understand Parkeyway after talking to Monster the other night, but man you've got to let it go. Find a life outside of these forums. If you start school at age 6 ( by law or 5 and turning 6 in first grade) it's impossible to "hold back" twice and still be legit as a senior. Covid year made him the same as kids who held back in middle school.
Sperry and Hoskins just got done playing 13 weeks of football games, how in the world can anyone with half a brain cell sit back and criticize them two kids about not being smooth as silk right now? Let them get their basketball legs back and let their bodies heal up a bit. Must be people that never put the pads on saying this stuff about them. Breathitt will be a 20 point better team when them two get back into basketball mode.
(12-07-2022, 09:08 PM)Mountainparkway Wrote:
(12-07-2022, 05:44 PM)wannacat Wrote:
Amen brother been saying this too. Way out of control. I see there is still a few truth speakers out there.
Double hold back? These dudes have no clue what they are talking about. Mountain Parkway, I look forward to seeing you at Perry tomorrow watching the ole Cats get the job done. If your son plays tomorrow are you going to be happy? I feel these parents don't want certain players to do well so their kids can get in. They don't care about winning anymore. Whatever is best for their kid. Breathitt is going to roll tomorrow behind Sperry and Collins. #catsby90
Read and think about what I’m typing. Nothing wrong with BB rotation. No one else in my opinion should play more or less. Hope sperry and the rest of the team plays a good game. I’m just stating facts about their recent play and age bud.
He’s a double hold back. Period.
(12-08-2022, 08:11 PM)wannacat Wrote: He’s a double hold back.  Period.
Only a complete idiot would think a kid could hold back twice and still be eligible his senior year age wise. It is what it is i guess
(12-08-2022, 08:51 PM)Slim one Wrote:
Only a complete idiot would think a kid could hold back twice and still be eligible his senior year age wise. It is what it is i guess

I have no idea if Sperry did, but it is very possible and I've followed high school sports closely for decades. I've seen a lot of players hold back, and they were young enough to do it again but didn't. The age rule is incredibly lenient. Any student who graduates at 17, which is not uncommon, could have stayed back twice if they didn't turn 18 until Aug. 1 or later.
Sperry is 17 years old. His birthday is in September. Sperry will be 18 his junior year and turn 19 that September. Which will make him 19 his senior year. But he turned 19 after august 1st
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mountainparkway's post:
  • roundballer
(12-08-2022, 09:35 PM)HCS Wrote:
(12-08-2022, 08:51 PM)Slim one Wrote:

I have no idea if Sperry did, but it is very possible and I've followed high school sports closely for decades. I've seen a lot of players hold back, and they were young enough to do it again but didn't. The age rule is incredibly lenient. Any student who graduates at 17, which is not uncommon, could have stayed back twice if they didn't turn 18 until Aug. 1 or later.
Then you know school entry dates changed in 2017-2018 from October to August. If Sperry's birthday is September then he had been 6 for several months before 1st grade. That's not holding back. He took a covid year and will turn 19 right before football season his senior year. Hardly the only one.
No idea on what happened with him. My only point was that it is very possible to be young enough in middle school to stay back twice.