•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
Boyle County 32 Corbin 26 (4A State Championship)
Man, what a game. Two heavyweights slugging it out. Best two teams in 4A show up and gave the fans a hell of a game to watch. Corbin was tough as nails. I love Elam and really like watching him play. I've watched 4 or 5 Corbin games this year and knew somewhat what to expect. Love the fight and confidence in the Redhound players. Combs played well, 37 was everywhere. Baker looked like he could kick it into the endzone whenever he wanted to so I really don't understand kicking it to Tavi several times. He did not make them pay but there's a chance he could just about anytime he takes a kick or punt. I really thought Corbin's Oline played well. Heck, a LOT of their players played really well obviously !! They are a great football team. That's why they were there in the title game. I expected nothing less.

I get asked from time to time what kind of offense Haddix runs. I usually reply that he gets the ball down the field. Then they say "no seriously, what does he run mostly? Spread, pro set, pistol....." I tell them whatever it takes to GET THE BALL DOWN THE FIELD. I'm not trying to avoid anyone's questions, but you never really know what you might see from game to game. Each of the last 3 seasons, I've seen different variations of old sets and new sets that I don't ever remember seeing. In fact the first TD of the game was a TD pass to Cooper Brummett, #84. It was his first reception of the season. In the State Title game no less. Travis Burns the DC this year and last year who replaced Boyle legend Jeff Hester has done a tremendous job the last two seasons and figured a way to get a couple of stops against a great offense tonight. Last but not least, I think out of 15 games this season Boyle started probably 11 or 12 different offensive line variations. Coach Leffew did an unbelievable job this season. Injuries, young players needing to be brought along throughout the season, tweaking the best mix has been a TREMENDOUS challenge this season and again speaks to the incredible staff that Boyle has and players that don't care who gets the glory and take coaching and move positions for the betterment of the teams.

Again, two heavyweights slugging it out and one team was just able to get an extra stop or two. Great Championship Game !!
[-] The following 2 users Like BEChargers's post:
  • Bull got out!, know1
No one can say, in an objective tone, that "the better team won."   The team that scored more points won. The team that had the ball last won. If Corbin hadn't had the TD called back or if Elam had spotted the wide open TD for the winning score, it would still be hard to say definitely "the better team won. "  The better team doesn't always win. These teams looked pretty even. I think one team had a better overall strategy and defensive scheming. That's the team that won. Were they "the better team" ? I don't know. And neither do you.

I want to ask Boyle County fans(and any neutral fans) an sincere question. I want you to try to keep a straight face when answering this hypothetical question. Do you honestly think that if these same two teams had played tonight(exact same talent on the field), except that Greer was the coach for Boyle and Haddix was where he should be(coaching Corbin), that the end result would have been a Boyle victory??? Seriously.
Old School Hound, the game isn’t a bunch of. Hypotheticals. Corbin lost and Boyle won. You can put whatever you want on here but the better team won tonight.
[-] The following 3 users Like RunninReb's post:
  • Deuce8, FootballFan1999, jax
As a strictly neutral observer who went to this game with his adult son and was entertained beyond words—a great high school football game!—let me say there have been a couple points made that I totally agree with. One, if in high school you have a kicker capable of getting the kickoff into the end zone, TRY THAT EVERY time! Don’t get cute. You may not reach the end zone every time, but it’s definitely the best option.
Also, to OSH, yeah I think with Haddix and Greer flipped Corbin wins the majority of the matchups. Haddix is just so creative with his offensive play calling, and Corbin had some tremendous high school players on the field. He would find ways to get them in the end zone. Now, he’s still not immune to making an occasional head scratching decision. I thought not going for two after his last touchdown when his O line was controlling the line of scrimmage and his kicker was struggling was gonna come back and bite him in the butt. I really thought Corbin was gonna win then 33-32.
As for who was the better team—who cares? What you will always remember is if you won or lost. No need to say “hey look this proves we were better.” Does it really? In a game like this it just proves who made maybe one or two more plays than the other team. Be happy with your victory. And if you are on the other end, the reality is you’ll never really get over it. That’s what makes sports so compelling. Thanks again to both teams for a fantastic high school football game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • Deuce8
I fell asleep at halftime and was really hoping to wake up and see that Corbin had won the state championship.

Congrats to the Redhounds on a fantastic season!!

Congrats to Boyle County on another state title!!
(12-03-2022, 03:51 AM)REDPUPPY Wrote:
(12-03-2022, 02:40 AM)TrojanMan69 Wrote: Daddy wins again!
I honestly feel like Corbin was the much better team tonight. Haddix out-coached the Corbin good ole boys when it came crunch time. That's why Corbin will never win another ring. Haddix will continue winning rings until he goes to the next level. What could have been at Corbin.
This post pretty much sums up our problem at Corbin. No matter who we play our idiot fans think that we always have the better team and should always win. News flash guys but Boyle is pretty good and their program is light years ahead of us but we can’t get our heads out of our butts long enough to realize it. We like to thump our chests on here about every little fart just to seem relevant again and it’s not working. Some of you all need to put away those frigging 1975 letterman jackets that you are wearing to the games also. You all look like morons. When haven’t been elite since JR Ewing was shot! I’m so proud of our kids but sick of the Red Hound nursing home crowd on here.
[-] The following 4 users Like RedDawgDad's post:
  • Deuce8, Iggyfan, jax, Rebel55
I thought Corbin was a better football team and it’s obvious that the team with the better coach one.

The timeout usage at the end of the game from Corbin was baffling too- they couldn’t get a stop so it didn’t matter but with proper timeout usage…

Don’t let the attack on the Corbin football staff take away from what was a darn good football game
[-] The following 1 user Likes KYHSFB's post:
  • know1
I believe the better team won the game. Boyle had the 3 best players on the field tonight in Quisenberry, Ziesmer and Bodner. Ziesmer proved why he is a future SEC football player tonight by making some huge plays in crunch time. Blocked a PAT, huge sack late in the game, etc. Boyle County was battled tested all season long and played a brutal schedule that helped prepare them for this moment, unlike Corbin. Mix all this together with having a far superior coaching staff, and this is what you get. A state title.

Corbin is a GREAT team. Very impressive. Unfortunately for them, this Boyle County program is just different. I’ve never seen a group of kids that want to win as bad as the ones at Boyle County. The coaching staff is very young and energetic and the kids love playing for them. This program isn’t going anywhere. The administration at Corbin should be so embarrassed by pushing Haddix away.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TrojanMan69's post:
  • Hatz
Anyone who thinks that was an evenly coached game knows absolutely nothing about football.
[-] The following 2 users Like HOFER's post:
  • Old School Hound, TrojanMan69
Boyle won almost every statistical category. Even punting. And they were penalized more. The better team clearly won, but the margin between the two wasn't much. Corbin was a very, very good team. I still don't think coaching was the difference at all. Boyle had a handful of the best players on the field who took over the game. And a lot of their big plays and big gains were broken plays or scrambles. And Haddix made some very questionable choices at times. Coaching really wasn't the big difference.
[-] The following 1 user Likes know1's post:
  • Hatz
This game was right up there with 2020 vs Franklin Co for the best I have personally ever seen. Neither team really seemed to have an answer for the other, until the 4th when Boyle’s D showed up in a very big way. Congratulations to both teams on great seasons.
(12-03-2022, 02:46 AM)The_Cats_Meow Wrote:
(12-03-2022, 12:40 AM)16 special Wrote: Best player from each of the championship teams in the last 3 years have been from a different county than Boyle county. Congrats all the same.
When you have a school system that is top notch in the classroom and on the field, people show up- Parents make sacrifices for their children to put them in great situations. 

2020 McDaniel MVP been at Boyle since elementary 
20221 Gillis MVP 2nd year at Boyle-moved  bc mom remarried
2022 Bodner MVP lifelong Boyle kid and family 
Success breeds success.
(12-03-2022, 03:52 AM)Rebel55 Wrote: Congratulations Boyle County on #11  #YouLeftNoDoubt  Boyle showcased a lot of talent tonight. 

Dawson IMO play one heck of a game!  Ran the team well and was a back breaker on his runs.
Bodner was a work horse like he has been all season.  Hard to bring down and always fighting for that extra yard.
Quisenberry well he was himself.  Always making something out of nothing.
Ziesmer was a man amongst boys tonight. Blocking extra points, Rushing the QB, and his TD run was amazing to watch!
Stone was all over the field making tackles.

I am with a few others as I didn't see where Corbin's coaching did anything wrong to lose this game.  I feel the better team won and made the plays when they needed to be made.  For as of the our coaching.  Haddix was ready and had a few new plays that no one has saw this year that worked big time.  That jump pass to Cooper Brumment for our 1st. TD was something not seen this year.  The Bodner TD pass to Dawson was sweet.  Tommy Ziesmer's 9 yard TD end around was just flat out will.  Corbin played it well but no one was able to bring him down.  4th. and 1 late in the game, well that's Justin Haddix.  He's a gambler and I felt was the correct call. Boyle won because their Talent  was just a little better. 

For as of Corbin.  Kudos to Jacob Baker.  He may have had a off night on kicking but his play on defense was outstanding!  One tuff kid that played with a lot of heart.  Combs and Elam are fine players and has nothing to hang their head on.  Congratulations Corbin on a fine season.

Corbin played a decent game, and you are usually one of my favorite posters on here , but you are full of it to put it bluntly, when you kee pretending Boyle County won because of talent. They do have talent, but Corbin is loaded with talent, too. Haddix outcoached the Corbin coach as most teams do in the big games. Whoever told Greer he is a defensive guru lied to him. lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes pjdoug's post:
  • Old School Hound
(12-03-2022, 10:42 AM)pjdoug Wrote: Corbin played a decent game, and you are usually one of my favorite posters on here , but you are full of it to put it bluntly, when you kee pretending Boyle County won because of talent. They do have talent, but Corbin is loaded with talent, too. Haddix outcoached the Corbin coach as most teams do in the big games. Whoever told Greer he is a defensive guru lied to him. lol
 Just saying it doesn't make it true, though. How did Corbin get out coached specifically? 

Boyle has 5 kids with D1 offers. Maybe 6.

This game was won by talent.
(12-03-2022, 10:49 AM)know1 Wrote:
(12-03-2022, 10:42 AM)pjdoug Wrote: Corbin played a decent game, and you are usually one of my favorite posters on here , but you are full of it to put it bluntly, when you kee pretending Boyle County won because of talent. They do have talent, but Corbin is loaded with talent, too. Haddix outcoached the Corbin coach as most teams do in the big games. Whoever told Greer he is a defensive guru lied to him. lol
 Just saying it doesn't make it true, though. How did Corbin get out coached specifically? 

Boyle has 5 kids with D1 offers. Maybe 6.

This game was won by talent.

Bull Butter. if you switched coaches your team would have lost.
[-] The following 2 users Like pjdoug's post:
  • BobcatForever, Old School Hound
(12-03-2022, 10:18 AM)know1 Wrote: Boyle won almost every statistical category. Even punting. And they were penalized more. The better team clearly won, but the margin between the two wasn't much. Corbin was a very, very good team. I still don't think coaching was the difference at all. Boyle had a handful of the best players on the field who took over the game. And a lot of their big plays and big gains were broken plays or scrambles. And Haddix made some very questionable choices at times. Coaching really wasn't the big difference.

You're a tater sack blower upper. lol. I'm not a Corbin fan, but I have common sense and can see who has the superior coach.
Congrats Boyle.
Felt like they were going to win during the entire game. To be honest, Corbin had a couple scores that felt lucky like the long pass where the kid fell down for Boyle but nonetheless kept it close.
Corbin fans shouldn’t be mad at their coach. Since 1982 you guys have had as many titles as juggernauts like Mccreary and Jackson county
(12-03-2022, 11:01 AM)pjdoug Wrote:
(12-03-2022, 10:18 AM)know1 Wrote: Boyle won almost every statistical category. Even punting. And they were penalized more. The better team clearly won, but the margin between the two wasn't much. Corbin was a very, very good team. I still don't think coaching was the difference at all. Boyle had a handful of the best players on the field who took over the game. And a lot of their big plays and big gains were broken plays or scrambles. And Haddix made some very questionable choices at times. Coaching really wasn't the big difference.

You're a tater sack blower upper. lol. I'm not a Corbin fan, but I have common sense and can see who has the superior coach.
Then how about giving specific examples of how the superior coaching of Boyle won that game?
(12-03-2022, 04:12 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(12-03-2022, 04:04 AM)Bull got out! Wrote: On my behalf, I appreciate the players on what a season they provided us Corbin fans. I really am proud of Cameron Combs and Brody Wells, Jacob Baker, Eli Bolton, Sean Brummett, Troy Faulkner, Zanye Hammock, Israel Summers, Marc Warren and if I missed anyone the Seniors on our Corbin team. I felt like you guys fought hard. I hate to see our kids come up short. I thought they played a very good game. I thought our underclassmen as well did a great job all year! What a year! 

I thought the turning point of this ballgame was the penalty on the kickoff return for Corbin, that momentum swing was just about to me hard to overcome. Boyle County players played hard, I thought the Corbin players played hard. At the end of the day, when you are in these big games, you can see the team that has the better overall plan and defensive scheme come out on top. Corbin had there chances especially when Jacob Baker makes that crucial interception to give Corbin the prime opportunity to make a drive and win the game. To see Corbins offense go out with a turnover on downs was just flat out heartbreaking for these kids. They had a chance. I honesty thought that might be the possesion that Corbin needed.

To Boyle County, Congratulations on your 11th title as a program! To Justin Haddix, Congratulations!!! 3 championships and I honestly think this one was probably the best coaching I have seen yet in him from the beginning of the season to the end. I thought he did a heck of a job with his offensive play calling and was really hard to stop. 

Quisenberry was no doubt was hard to deal with and I thought the Zeismer sack late in the game was huge. Dawson, man he did a very good job. Bodner did a good job!.

What a game.

Do you think, as some have commented , that Boyle had the more talented team?  Or , as I believe, they had the better overall game strategy and defensive schemes ?

Here is a honest opinion. the quick answer is game plan and scheme. The long answer is before the game, the Line of scrimmage was going to be what determined the ballgame for each offense is what the majority of post I saw. Well, What I saw in the most important part of the game was Flags, now that is what no team can overcome. Now for Corbin, the defense just could not get a crucial stop until the interception. That goes back to alot of things, linebackers playing deep off the ball and you knowing Boyle is gonna run and blitzing, I don't know if I saw one blitz from Corbin. But Boyles offensive game plan was about a combination of about 5 or 6 plays that Greer just couldn't see and he had at times I thought oppurtunities to put those bigs in on certain plays and blitz to hold Boyle but you never seen them run on the field and you never saw the blitzing. I mean, when you break down this game, Boyles offense was getting there yards when they needed it. So that is a matchup won from Boyles line of scrimmage against Greers defensive line of scrimmage. So I think it is a combination of alot of things. You have very talented running game from Boyle, playcalling that is keeping you guessing and a defensive coach who don't really know what to do other than 1 style of bend don't break defense. My son stood beside me the entire game pointing out stuff on the defense that wasn't happening, not from the players, but what the coaches wasn't doing, now if a kid, can see that, it makes you wonder? But as for the offensive side of the ball, Corbin at times looked unstoppable as well against what you would say the best or second best defense in 4A depending on who you ask. Corbin had issues though in the 4th quarter, the play where Zeismer got the sack, looked like a broken play because West pulled for some reason and Zeisemer had a free shot at Elam then you go to the very next series after getting a interception and have a chance to win the game and honestly this series where 3 straight run plays was called and then that put your QB in a bad position.  I thought the play calling, running 3 run plays in a series to the same spot on the defense and I was furious, when you have a QB you can't put him in a game winning or losing situation with 4th and long. When Corbin did that, I knew we was in trouble. To me the moment is overwhelming and when it counts, if you are prepared and did your homework you win, if you didn't you lose. I felt like after watching this game, Boyles coaches did the best job on the homework, thats what won the game. Also, what won that ballgame last night was Boyle was able to do what Bolye does and Corbin ultimately couldn't stop it. Corbin was flat out stopped offensively and especially when it counted. We score, we win, its as simple as that, Now if you think you have that much better of a team then you didn't see the same game I saw, because it was close and could have very easily went in Corbins favor. I think what I would ultimately say is Boyle executed over a 4 quarter game better than Corbin did over 4 quarters. To me, it goes back the coaching. The winner of last nights game was Justin Haddix and his staff. I'll say this, Gold River made a comment the other day giving Greer props, well here is my real opinion about Tommy Greer, If Tommy Greer coaches Boyle, they lose for the last 3 years. If Justin Haddix coaches Corbin for the last 3 years, Corbin may not only have its first championship in 40 years, but they may have more than 1 championship possibly 2, possibly 3. I hate it for these players... Hate it... At the end of the season, you have to realize as a program that coaching is what wins championships, simple as that.
I watched the entire game online and these teams looked pretty dang close to me. I have to agree with some of the other posters here that coaching was the difference in this game. I am not saying that Corbin's coaching was bad by no means, but I just think Haddix is a on another level with play calling.  It was a very entertaining game to watch for sure and some very high level play/coaching.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KySportsfan74's post:
  • Bull got out!
(12-03-2022, 11:19 AM)KySportsfan74 Wrote: I watched the entire game online and these teams looked pretty dang close to me. I have to agree with some of the other posters here that coaching was the difference in this game. I am not saying that Corbin's coaching was bad by no means, but I just think Haddix is a on another level with play calling.  It was a very entertaining game to watch for sure and some very high level play/coaching.

My opinion is 100% in agreement
(12-03-2022, 11:10 AM)know1 Wrote:

Then how about giving specific examples of how the superior coaching of Boyle won that game?

Don't play dumb. Study the film. It's not hard to see. If talent won the game, I'm sure you wouldn't mind trading coaches with Corbin? lol
(12-03-2022, 11:36 AM)pjdoug Wrote:

Don't play dumb. Study the film. It's not hard to see. If talent won the game, I'm sure you wouldn't mind trading coaches with Corbin? lol
So you don't have an answer or any example. That's what I figured.
(12-03-2022, 11:40 AM)know1 Wrote:
(12-03-2022, 11:36 AM)pjdoug Wrote:

So you don't have an answer or any example. That's what I figured.

You obviously don't know how to figure.
(12-03-2022, 10:42 AM)pjdoug Wrote:
(12-03-2022, 03:52 AM)Rebel55 Wrote: Congratulations Boyle County on #11  #YouLeftNoDoubt  Boyle showcased a lot of talent tonight. 

Dawson IMO play one heck of a game!  Ran the team well and was a back breaker on his runs.
Bodner was a work horse like he has been all season.  Hard to bring down and always fighting for that extra yard.
Quisenberry well he was himself.  Always making something out of nothing.
Ziesmer was a man amongst boys tonight. Blocking extra points, Rushing the QB, and his TD run was amazing to watch!
Stone was all over the field making tackles.

I am with a few others as I didn't see where Corbin's coaching did anything wrong to lose this game.  I feel the better team won and made the plays when they needed to be made.  For as of the our coaching.  Haddix was ready and had a few new plays that no one has saw this year that worked big time.  That jump pass to Cooper Brumment for our 1st. TD was something not seen this year.  The Bodner TD pass to Dawson was sweet.  Tommy Ziesmer's 9 yard TD end around was just flat out will.  Corbin played it well but no one was able to bring him down.  4th. and 1 late in the game, well that's Justin Haddix.  He's a gambler and I felt was the correct call. Boyle won because their Talent  was just a little better. 

For as of Corbin.  Kudos to Jacob Baker.  He may have had a off night on kicking but his play on defense was outstanding!  One tuff kid that played with a lot of heart.  Combs and Elam are fine players and has nothing to hang their head on.  Congratulations Corbin on a fine season.

Corbin played a decent game, and you are usually one of my favorite posters on here , but you are full of it to put it bluntly, when you kee pretending Boyle County won because of talent. They do have talent, but Corbin is loaded with talent, too. Haddix outcoached the Corbin coach as most teams do in the big games. Whoever told Greer he is a defensive guru lied to him. lol
Thanks for the kind words Dougie.  Same here, as I have always enjoyed reading your post. I never said Corbin didn't have talent.  You're either sipping the red kool-aid or you must be smoking something other than hind end last night, cause you watched a entirely different game than me. 

Corbin had Tommy Ziesmer caught for a loss on.  It was TALENT that got him across the goalline.  Corbin's coaches can not make go out on the field and make the tackle but they can put their players in positions to do it and they where.  Had Tommy for a loss!  Talent and pure will alone got him across the goal line.  When the game matter Ziesmer was Alpha Male on the field.  Blocked kick, Sacked the QB, Touchdown run!    

There's no pretending about it!  Boyle flat out won the game because they where the better team and their talent played a bettrer game last night. 

(12-03-2022, 09:55 AM)TrojanMan69 Wrote: I believe the better team won the game. Boyle had the 3 best players on the field tonight in Quisenberry, Ziesmer and Bodner. Ziesmer proved why he is a future SEC football player tonight by making some huge plays in crunch time. Blocked a PAT, huge sack late in the game, etc. Boyle County was battled tested all season long and played a brutal schedule that helped prepare them for this moment, unlike Corbin. Mix all this together with having a far superior coaching staff, and this is what you get. A state title.

Corbin is a GREAT team. Very impressive. Unfortunately for them, this Boyle County program is just different. I’ve never seen a group of kids that want to win as bad as the ones at Boyle County. The coaching staff is very young and energetic and the kids love playing for them. This program isn’t going anywhere. The administration at Corbin should be so embarrassed by pushing Haddix away.
I like this Trojan man but I'm all out of likes!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rebel55's post:
  • know1
(12-03-2022, 11:19 AM)Bull got out! Wrote:
(12-03-2022, 04:12 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(12-03-2022, 04:04 AM)Bull got out! Wrote: On my behalf, I appreciate the players on what a season they provided us Corbin fans. I really am proud of Cameron Combs and Brody Wells, Jacob Baker, Eli Bolton, Sean Brummett, Troy Faulkner, Zanye Hammock, Israel Summers, Marc Warren and if I missed anyone the Seniors on our Corbin team. I felt like you guys fought hard. I hate to see our kids come up short. I thought they played a very good game. I thought our underclassmen as well did a great job all year! What a year! 

I thought the turning point of this ballgame was the penalty on the kickoff return for Corbin, that momentum swing was just about to me hard to overcome. Boyle County players played hard, I thought the Corbin players played hard. At the end of the day, when you are in these big games, you can see the team that has the better overall plan and defensive scheme come out on top. Corbin had there chances especially when Jacob Baker makes that crucial interception to give Corbin the prime opportunity to make a drive and win the game. To see Corbins offense go out with a turnover on downs was just flat out heartbreaking for these kids. They had a chance. I honesty thought that might be the possesion that Corbin needed.

To Boyle County, Congratulations on your 11th title as a program! To Justin Haddix, Congratulations!!! 3 championships and I honestly think this one was probably the best coaching I have seen yet in him from the beginning of the season to the end. I thought he did a heck of a job with his offensive play calling and was really hard to stop. 

Quisenberry was no doubt was hard to deal with and I thought the Zeismer sack late in the game was huge. Dawson, man he did a very good job. Bodner did a good job!.

What a game.

Do you think, as some have commented , that Boyle had the more talented team?  Or , as I believe, they had the better overall game strategy and defensive schemes ?

Here is a honest opinion. the quick answer is game plan and scheme. The long answer is before the game, the Line of scrimmage was going to be what determined the ballgame for each offense is what the majority of post I saw. Well, What I saw in the most important part of the game was Flags, now that is what no team can overcome. Now for Corbin, the defense just could not get a crucial stop until the interception. That goes back to alot of things, linebackers playing deep off the ball and you knowing Boyle is gonna run and blitzing, I don't know if I saw one blitz from Corbin. But Boyles offensive game plan was about a combination of about 5 or 6 plays that Greer just couldn't see and he had at times I thought oppurtunities to put those bigs in on certain plays and blitz to hold Boyle but you never seen them run on the field and you never saw the blitzing. I mean, when you break down this game, Boyles offense was getting there yards when they needed it. So that is a matchup won from Boyles line of scrimmage against Greers defensive line of scrimmage. So I think it is a combination of alot of things. You have very talented running game from Boyle, playcalling that is keeping you guessing and a defensive coach who don't really know what to do other than 1 style of bend don't break defense. My son stood beside me the entire game pointing out stuff on the defense that wasn't happening, not from the players, but what the coaches wasn't doing, now if a kid, can see that, it makes you wonder? But as for the offensive side of the ball, Corbin at times looked unstoppable as well against what you would say the best or second best defense in 4A depending on who you ask. Corbin had issues though in the 4th quarter, the play where Zeismer got the sack, looked like a broken play because West pulled for some reason and Zeisemer had a free shot at Elam then you go to the very next series after getting a interception and have a chance to win the game and honestly this series where 3 straight run plays was called and then that put your QB in a bad position.  I thought the play calling, running 3 run plays in a series to the same spot on the defense and I was furious, when you have a QB you can't put him in a game winning or losing situation with 4th and long. When Corbin did that, I knew we was in trouble. To me the moment is overwhelming and when it counts, if you are prepared and did your homework you win, if you didn't you lose. I felt like after watching this game, Boyles coaches did the best job on the homework, thats what won the game. Also, what won that ballgame last night was Boyle was able to do what Bolye does and Corbin ultimately couldn't stop it. Corbin was flat out stopped offensively and especially when it counted. We score, we win, its as simple as that, Now if you think you have that much better of a team then you didn't see the same game I saw, because it was close and could have very easily went in Corbins favor. I think what I would ultimately say is Boyle executed over a 4 quarter game better than Corbin did over 4 quarters. To me, it goes back the coaching. The winner of last nights game was Justin Haddix and his staff. I'll say this, Gold River made a comment the other day giving Greer props, well here is my real opinion about Tommy Greer, If Tommy Greer coaches Boyle, they lose for the last 3 years. If Justin Haddix coaches Corbin for the last 3 years, Corbin may not only have its first championship in 40 years, but they may have more than 1 championship possibly 2, possibly 3. I hate it for these players... Hate it... At the end of the season, you have to realize as a program that coaching is what wins championships, simple as that.
I haven't seen the stats yet, but IMO, the biggest factor in Boyle County winning last night's game was Quisenberry's decision to transfer there. Maybe BC would have won without him, but I think that Corbin fans are giving too much credit to Haddix's coaching and being too hard on Coach Greer. Coach Haddix has had the good fortune of being on the receiving end of some key transfer decisions. I am not saying that BC would have won fewer titles without the transfers, but game planning for a team having Quisenberry on it is certainly more difficult than planning a defense against a team without him. I am disappointed that Corbin lost last night but the Redhounds played a great game and I don't think that coaching was the difference.
I coached in High School and College, coaches are always the blame in a loss, which they should be,and also say it’s their fault. From my eyes Boyle was the better team, Boyle didn’t play a great game with Penalties and special team mistakes. Haddix did make some nice adjustments on defense in the 4th. He went big on the Dline and moved a olineman to upfront on defense to help take the pressure off Zeismar in the 4th. That was a great unnoticed coaching move. I coached oline, and Boyle is talented on the oline with 2-D1 commits upfront and probably a 3rd with the young freshman at Center Kelly. That kid to be a freshman and Haddix have the confidence in him to start and make line calls as a freshman is unheard of. I really like the Corbin quarterback, he is special, probably a future Mr Football candidate Corbin just could not stop Boyles offense and I didn’t notice any defensive adjustments to offset the oline talent of Boyle which surprised me. When you have a talented center like Boyle and leave him uncovered for most of the game it allows him to double inside and he is quick enough to block at the second level. It just killed Corbin. I used to think in a game like this if I can just get 4 maybe 5 stops and get off the field, I could win. I Feel bad for Corbin and those kids, but Boyle is Boyle. Those kind of teams seem to always find a way to win. Congrats to both on a great season.
[-] The following 2 users Like Football Man 23's post:
  • Bull got out!, know1
And to think a Franklin County fan said before the game that the Boyle fans were going to be surprised at the talent gap between Corbin and Boyle. SMH!!!
I think the difference was Boyle’s experience being in those games. And Coach Haddix’s experience coaching in those games. When it was do or die time in the 4th, Boyle rose. When we had it 4th & 1 w/ 2 min to go in our own territory, Boyle didn’t blink it was go make the play to win the game and we did. Some are talking about penalties, but the surprise to me is that it was actually much closer in penalty yards than I expected. Boyle always gets heavily flagged 70-80 yds worth to their opponents usually 5-10yds. In 2 championship games 2019 and 2021 Johnson Central had I believe 7 yards in both games combined. I have not verified for this game but was told Boyle had 73 yds penalties to Corbin’s 46.
[-] The following 1 user Likes CC117's post:
  • Bull got out!
It was 9 penalties on Boyle for 73 yards and 6 on Corbin for 46.
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next