Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Danville Job (Open)
Didn't Clevenger step down because he didn't want to teach class and be the HC? Why would they change their mind and now and permit him to not teach?
Like I said earlier, I am a complete outsider and just going off of what I have heard.

Sidenote, unless a coach is the AD, why in the world pay them a teachers salary when they do not teach? Even though there are coach's that are also the AD and they teach some class. With a nationwide teacher shortage it makes zero sense to pay a teachers salary and not have them teach.
(11-19-2022, 11:19 AM)IAM22 Wrote: Didn't Clevenger step down because he didn't want to teach class and be the HC? Why would they change their mind and now and permit him to not teach?
Like I said earlier, I am a complete outsider and just going off of what I have heard.

Sidenote, unless a coach is the AD, why in the world pay them a teachers salary when they do not teach? Even though there are coach's that are also the AD and they teach some class. With a nationwide teacher shortage it makes zero sense to pay a teachers salary and not have them teach.

He was fired by the superintendent from coaching. He still teaches at the school. I have only known him to teach. He never stepped down.
[-] The following 3 users Like Danville Blue Devil's post:
  • BEChargers, Jack Lambert, Rip/Spin
I would do about anything to keep my coach, but Steve Stonebraker would take a team like Danville to a ship in maybe 2 years. He's taken Casey kids and won games with them we don't win. Our fan base doesn't understand we are out sized, and out "speeded" :-D almost every game we play. Stoney has had a couple of talented teams here, and one went to a regional final against Corbin, and the 2nd got upset by Powell but played Corbin tooth and nail in the regular season, until the eventual wear down of Corbin's numbers. I don't know what route they go and I don't want to lose coach, but Stonebraker deserves to finally coach a traditional powerhouse. I doubt they will have met a person like him, personality wise. Never saw a person so intense, ever.
(11-19-2022, 10:40 PM)Danville Blue Devil Wrote:
(11-19-2022, 11:19 AM)IAM22 Wrote: Didn't Clevenger step down because he didn't want to teach class and be the HC? Why would they change their mind and now and permit him to not teach?

He was fired by the superintendent from coaching. He still teaches at the school. I have only known him to teach. He never stepped down.
Ok, thanks. That is a different answer than what has been given to my question about him not being the coach anymore.
Maybe not retained because of his demands is a better way to put it.
(11-20-2022, 02:45 AM)smoke1015 Wrote: I would do about anything to keep my coach, but Steve Stonebraker would take a team like Danville to a ship in maybe 2 years. He's taken Casey kids and won games with them we don't win. Our fan base doesn't understand we are out sized, and out "speeded" :-D almost every game we play. Stoney has had a couple of talented teams here, and one went to a regional final against Corbin, and the 2nd got upset by Powell but played Corbin tooth and nail in the regular season, until the eventual wear down of Corbin's numbers. I don't know what route they go and I don't want to lose coach, but Stonebraker deserves to finally coach a traditional powerhouse. I doubt they will have met a person like him, personality wise. Never saw a person so intense, ever.

This would be a big hire for Danville. Coach Stonebreaker is one of the best football minds in the business.
[-] The following 1 user Likes OldBallCoach1's post:
  • smoke1015
Would Danville take Stonebreaker? He's about to be let go from Casey.
(11-20-2022, 11:14 AM)IAM22 Wrote:

Ok, thanks. That is a different answer than what has been given to my question about him not being the coach anymore.

He wasn't fired for making any demands.  He went to a board meeting to try to get his weightlifting coordinator's stipend reinstated.  Super didn't like that.  He did wonders for the program.  Upgraded a weight room that hadn't been changed or upgraded for about 30 years.  Kids loved him and played hard for him.  Sounds like you are not hearing anything close to the truth.
[-] The following 3 users Like BEChargers's post:
  • Danville Blue Devil, Gitback Coach, Jack Lambert
(11-20-2022, 12:04 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: Would Danville take Stonebreaker? He's about to be let go from Casey.
Casey is begging coach to stay. Those that have players for him, players, etc.. We thought about chloroform and hiding him in a barn then let him come back to coach in June.. Just won district the first time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes smoke1015's post:
  • Hatz
(11-20-2022, 12:04 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: Would Danville take Stonebreaker? He's about to be let go from Casey.
107-120 w/o title game experience. I doubt it. Still, he has a done a great job at Casey irregardless.
Clevenger should have never been fired. He did wonders with a program headed the wrong direction. He had to reestablish discipline and work ethic that had begun to slip away. He took the team to two championship games in 2016 and 2017. He faced resistance from the beginning. Danvilles future is in the hands of people that weren’t there for any of that. Not sure they can understand what a good job he did not having been there. They probably are unaware of where the program was in 2012. They may not appreciate the job Clevenger did. They may not understand he was under attack by the administration that had cut his salary and program funding. Now they need a coach to come in and do exactly what he did, turn the program around. Who better to do that?
[-] The following 2 users Like Danville Blue Devil's post:
  • BEChargers, Jack Lambert
(11-20-2022, 07:16 PM)Danville Blue Devil Wrote: Clevenger should have never been fired. He did wonders with a program headed the wrong direction. He had to reestablish discipline and work ethic that had begun to slip away. He took the team to two championship games in 2016 and 2017. He faced resistance from the beginning. Danvilles future is in the hands of people that weren’t there for any of that. Not sure they can understand what a good job he did not having been there.  They probably are unaware of where the program was in 2012. They may not appreciate the job Clevenger did. They may not understand he was under attack by the administration that had cut his salary and program funding. Now they need a coach to come in and do exactly what he did, turn the program around.  Who better to do that?
From 2010-2012 Danvile went 27-12 with a semi loss in 2010 and a region final loss in 2012. (confused by the 2012 reference above and the wrong direction). The ADS were 14-10 the next 2 years before going on a great 3 year run of 39-5 with 3 staright semis and 2 straight finals and an undefeated 2017 season. Still from 2018-2020 the ADS went  a lowly 12-17.    2013-2020 under Clevenger. Apparently Danville goes thru down periods also.... no matter who is coaching. Hope the ADS get what they are wanting.
(11-20-2022, 03:18 PM)BEChargers Wrote:

He wasn't fired for making any demands.  He went to a board meeting to try to get his weightlifting coordinator's stipend reinstated.  Super didn't like that.  He did wonders for the program.  Upgraded a weight room that hadn't been changed or upgraded for about 30 years.  Kids loved him and played hard for him.  Sounds like you are not hearing anything close to the truth.
Wait... Danville schools has enough money to pay someone a weightlifting stipend? There are schools in the state that do not even have athletic budgets outside of coaching salaries but Danville was paying a weightlifting stipend? Unbelievable that some school districts will pay someone to be in a weight room and some districts will not even pay money to provide school bus and drivers for busing to away games.
Amazing what some districts provide and what some do not ....
(11-20-2022, 08:13 PM)IAM22 Wrote:
(11-20-2022, 03:18 PM)BEChargers Wrote:

Wait... Danville schools has enough money to pay someone a weightlifting stipend? There are schools in the state that do not even have athletic budgets outside of coaching salaries but Danville was paying a weightlifting stipend? Unbelievable that some school districts will pay someone to be in a weight room and some districts will not even pay money to provide school bus and drivers for busing to away games.
Amazing what some districts provide and what some do not ....

Although I do agree with you on the levels of support between school systems.  This one wasn't that much money.  Like 700 or 800 a year.  Less than a 100 a month.  It was more about the system starting to pull back budget money and support from where it already was.  They guys was making about 50 cents an hour for the amount of time he was putting in, if that much.  He went to the school board meeting to basically ask the school to not start pulling support.
(11-20-2022, 06:31 PM)jlow Wrote:
107-120 w/o title game experience. I doubt it. Still, he has a done a great job at Casey irregardless.
This line of thinking kills me. Kevin Wallace had a losing record for years at Warren East before he got the BG job then St X. Mark Spader had a horrendous record at Warren East before getting the BG job. Haddix had a losing record at PCC before going to Corbin then Boyle. Johnny Hines had a losing record at Barren before getting to PC. Robbie Lucas had a losing record at Lincoln before getting the Somerset job. All of those coaches have won state titles at the stronger school they coaches at after losing at schools with less. How many coaches at traditionally strong programs could win at lower level jobs or equal what Stonebreaker has done at Casey.  Also, didn’t Danville initially offer the job to Jaggers before Peach the last time. Jaggers has a losing record as a head coach. It’s just tough to win at a lot of places in Kentucky.
[-] The following 2 users Like Pads Down's post:
  • Rip/Spin, smoke1015
(11-21-2022, 12:15 AM)Pads Down Wrote:
This line of thinking kills me. Kevin Wallace had a losing record for years at Warren East before he got the BG job then St X. Mark Spader had a horrendous record at Warren East before getting the BG job. Haddix had a losing record at PCC before going to Corbin then Boyle. Johnny Hines had a losing record at Barren before getting to PC. Robbie Lucas had a losing record at Lincoln before getting the Somerset job. All of those coaches have won state titles at the stronger school they coaches at after losing at schools with less. How many coaches at traditionally strong programs could win at lower level jobs or equal what Stonebreaker has done at Casey.  Also, didn’t Danville initially offer the job to Jaggers before Peach the last time. Jaggers has a losing record as a head coach. It’s just tough to win at a lot of places in Kentucky.
Woodford is not looking like a low level job any more.... Not everyone can coach at lower level jobs....and not everyone can coach at Danville either... Doesnt mean they are bad coaches... just is what it is..
(11-20-2022, 05:42 PM)smoke1015 Wrote:
Casey is begging coach to stay. Those that have players for him, players, etc.. We thought about chloroform and hiding him in a barn then let him come back to coach in June.. Just won district the first time.

He's not going to be there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Waitaminute's post:
  • BEChargers
(11-19-2022, 03:11 AM)smoke1015 Wrote: How in hell would Goldsmith get a HC job when he can't count to eleven? Get a grip, this is freakin Danville! Title Town?! The ADS!

Goldsmith can count to 205 .. the number of passing yards he had in the 2009 state championship game! Get a grip smoke and quit smoking that gas!
[-] The following 3 users Like FootballFan1999's post:
  • BEChargers, Deuce8, smoke1015
I don't think Danville with get anyone with a modern title game experience to come there. This has to be a brave coach who has ultra confidence and still at least somewhat youthful energy to try and gain players and alumni respect. It will either have to be someone with a lot of head coach experience where you can just see, "this guy knows what he's doing", or get a very young coach who just has an impressive personality and 'feel' about them. I still say Stonebraker is easily the best candidate who is interested currently. If Stoney did get the Danville job I wouldn't mind having Peach here.

(11-21-2022, 04:22 PM)FootballFan1999 Wrote:
(11-19-2022, 03:11 AM)smoke1015 Wrote: How in hell would Goldsmith get a HC job when he can't count to eleven? Get a grip, this is freakin Danville! Title Town?! The ADS!

Goldsmith can count to 205 .. the number of passing yards he had in the 2009 state championship game! Get a grip smoke and quit smoking that gas!
The state guy counted...he just took their word for it.
(11-22-2022, 01:30 AM)smoke1015 Wrote:
I don't think Danville with get anyone with a modern title game experience to come there. This has to be a brave coach who has ultra confidence and still at least somewhat youthful energy to try and gain players and alumni respect. It will either have to be someone with a lot of head coach experience where you can just see, "this guy knows what he's doing", or get a very young coach who just has an impressive personality and 'feel' about them. I still say Stonebraker is easily the best candidate who is interested currently. If Stoney did get the Danville job I wouldn't mind having Peach here.

You must not be a Goldsmith fan. I don't know him, but this is the only forum I've seen his name even mentioned. Although, I haven't seen many names mentioned period.
Anyone other than Clevenger is a huge mistake.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jamesclay's post:
  • BEChargers
If I were Danville I would give Dennis Johnson over at Woodford County a call don’t know if he would be interested but he’s done a great job at Woodford.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jack Lambert's post:
  • True pioneer
I'm hearing that Clevenger did officially throw his hat in the ring.
The principal is about to have Danville merged with Boyle County if he don't make the correct hire, which is Coach Clevenger. Let's not forget he was at Harrodsburg when they closed there doors for good.
Everyone wants Clevenger, which means Danville will likely hire someone else and several of their talented players will be off to Boyle, Dunbar and Lincoln County.
I hate to get into something while folks are still grieving, but you have to think that any coaches that are looking at the Danville job are going to throw their name in the hat for the Somerset job as well. That could make things interesting.

(11-23-2022, 01:21 PM)jamesclay Wrote: Everyone wants Clevenger, which means Danville will likely hire someone else and several of their talented players will be off to Boyle, Dunbar and Lincoln County.

Has Danville lost players to PLD? What's the connection there? Didn't realize that was a thing.
(11-23-2022, 01:21 PM)jamesclay Wrote: Everyone wants Clevenger, which means Danville will likely hire someone else and several of their talented players will be off to Boyle, Dunbar and Lincoln County.
I keep hearing Parks name come up.  If offered to Clevenger, would he take it?  I know for a FACT his wife is happy with the kids in the BCHS school system.  I did hear he applied but doesn't mean he would take the job if offered.  Maybe feeling them out as to would the AD job also be offered?  Will be a interesting off season.
I saw Somerset mentioned. Somerset will draw applicants from all parts of the surrounding counties. I'd say current head coaches and assistants will all apply for that position, respectfully. As far as Danville, Clevenger is a top level coach. But, the "Clevenger or else" mindset is one of the reasons that another good coach, like Coach Peach for example, had 0% chance at success at Danville. The Danville community needs to understand that maybe Clevenger just simply isn't coming back. I for one, do not expect him to come back. So, they need to be willing to support whoever is hired.
[-] The following 1 user Likes OldBallCoach1's post:
  • smoke1015
Danville is a complete dumpster fire …. No support from administration or fans …
(11-22-2022, 10:20 AM)OldBallCoach1 Wrote:

You must not be a Goldsmith fan. I don't know him, but this is the only forum I've seen his name even mentioned. Although, I haven't seen many names mentioned period.
I like Goldsmith. I know who he is and a good guy. First, I knew if he saw this he might actually get a kick out of it. He coached, his first coaching job that I know of was UNDER Stonebraker. In all honestly I know he'd put his all into any coaching job. But I don't know if he has the experience to be the head guy yet. I mean Stoney tutored him at least for a year, but I know where their knowledge and experience level is in terms of running the show as opposed to being part of the show. And just thinking of STonebraker from a friendship angle, he DESERVES it. He's almost 48 and has always went to build programs and is just now getting to that point I think he wants to fully go in on a power program. I know Danville was his dream job, even back 20 years ago.

(11-23-2022, 10:27 PM)OldBallCoach1 Wrote: I saw Somerset mentioned. Somerset will draw applicants from all parts of the surrounding counties. I'd say current head coaches and assistants will all apply for that position, respectfully. As far as Danville, Clevenger is a top level coach. But, the "Clevenger or else" mindset is one of the reasons that another good coach, like Coach Peach for example, had 0% chance at success at Danville. The Danville community needs to understand that maybe Clevenger just simply isn't coming back. I for one, do not expect him to come back. So, they need to be willing to support whoever is hired.
Totally agree. I see Clevenger as a very good coach, but the city made Peach the bad guy even though I know he can coach and all other coaches believe he can. But they have to get past it's Clevenger or no one. If Clevenger wants to continue coaching college then Danville is too rooted in great tradition they need to get behind one coach and support them fully.
(11-24-2022, 12:57 AM)smoke1015 Wrote:
(11-22-2022, 10:20 AM)OldBallCoach1 Wrote:

I like Goldsmith. I know who he is and a good guy. First, I knew if he saw this he might actually get a kick out of it. He coached, his first coaching job that I know of was UNDER Stonebraker. In all honestly I know he'd put his all into any coaching job. But I don't know if he has the experience to be the head guy yet. I mean Stoney tutored him at least for a year, but I know where their knowledge and experience level is in terms of running the show as opposed to being part of the show. And just thinking of STonebraker from a friendship angle, he DESERVES it. He's almost 48 and has always went to build programs and is just now getting to that point I think he wants to fully go in on a power program. I know Danville was his dream job, even back 20 years ago.

(11-23-2022, 10:27 PM)OldBallCoach1 Wrote: I saw Somerset mentioned. Somerset will draw applicants from all parts of the surrounding counties. I'd say current head coaches and assistants will all apply for that position, respectfully. As far as Danville, Clevenger is a top level coach. But, the "Clevenger or else" mindset is one of the reasons that another good coach, like Coach Peach for example, had 0% chance at success at Danville. The Danville community needs to understand that maybe Clevenger just simply isn't coming back. I for one, do not expect him to come back. So, they need to be willing to support whoever is hired.
Totally agree. I see Clevenger as a very good coach, but the city made Peach the bad guy even though I know he can coach and all other coaches believe he can. But they have to get past it's Clevenger or no one. If Clevenger wants to continue coaching college then Danville is too rooted in great tradition they need to get behind one coach and support them fully.

Peach did not run the Danville program to the standards set by Sam Harp and Clay Clevenger. I know Peach is a good coach, which made all that I observed perplexing. Not what I expected to see from a coach that has taken two teams to state championship games. Not close. I won’t say it was all his fault, but he has to share the responsibility for things going as they did. 

If Clevenger wishes to coach elsewhere, Danville will accept and support the next coach so long as one of the better applicants is chosen. If the best applicants are passed over for less qualified friends of administrators Danville isn’t going to accept that at all. In fact, you probably haven’t seen anything yet if that happens. At that point the community will have lost faith in the new administration. 

Clevenger is the best candidate for the Danville job. He is Danville Football. Next man up has to do a lot of damage control fast. There isn’t another coach that could do that faster. And it would go a long way in building positive feeling in the community for the new administration. It’s just the right decision all the way around.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Danville Blue Devil's post:
  • Gitback Coach