Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Mays fired from Ashland
There is no evidence that Mays committed any crime. KHSSA regulations are not part of any criminal code. Being fired from a job is a serious punishment but calling him a criminal is unfair, IMO. I hope that the termination was well founded because those actions sometimes backfire on schools. Nobody deserved to be fired any more than Billy Gillespie, and he actually committed some crimes, but UK paid a fortune to get rid of him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • i82much
(11-16-2022, 12:28 PM)16thregionballer Wrote: Win at all cost. That is what he did and his motto. “Catch me if you can”.  Well just like any criminal or rule breaker. Mays got caught. If you can’t do the time. Don’t do the crime.  As far as mays being a good coach. He isn’t. He is a recruiter. You pick up half your team from the Tri state and play teams who have majority or almost all home grown kids. That’s like going back to grade school and picking all the good players on your team at recess and beating the other team. He hasn’t developed anyone. Not one kid. Recruiter not coach. I agree with most. He doesn’t belong in high school basketball for that very reason.  Khsaa will hand down other punishments and I hope it doesn’t effect any of the kids. Especially for what a greedy egotistical high school basketball coach and administration did.

I think the only thing we can infer from your bloviating is that you were never picked at recess....
[-] The following 3 users Like i82much's post:
  • 16thregioner, LOOKAYANNER, Walt Longmire
(11-16-2022, 12:46 PM)i82much Wrote:
(11-16-2022, 12:28 PM)16thregionballer Wrote: Win at all cost. That is what he did and his motto. “Catch me if you can”.  Well just like any criminal or rule breaker. Mays got caught. If you can’t do the time. Don’t do the crime.  As far as mays being a good coach. He isn’t. He is a recruiter. You pick up half your team from the Tri state and play teams who have majority or almost all home grown kids. That’s like going back to grade school and picking all the good players on your team at recess and beating the other team. He hasn’t developed anyone. Not one kid. Recruiter not coach. I agree with most. He doesn’t belong in high school basketball for that very reason.  Khsaa will hand down other punishments and I hope it doesn’t effect any of the kids. Especially for what a greedy egotistical high school basketball coach and administration did.

I think the only thing we can infer from your bloviating is that you were never picked at recess....
A more accurate assessment would be. Mays never was picked. It is why he acts the way he does. It speaks volumes of yours. You taking up for him

(11-16-2022, 12:39 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: There is no evidence that Mays committed any crime. KHSSA regulations are not part of any criminal code. Being fired from a job is a serious punishment but calling him a criminal is unfair, IMO. I hope that the termination was well founded because those actions sometimes backfire on schools. Nobody deserved to be fired any more than Billy Gillespie, and he actually committed some crimes, but UK paid a fortune to get rid of him.
Hoot metaphorically speaking.
(11-15-2022, 06:34 PM)16thregioner Wrote: Jason Mays was a victim of the deep seeded, generations long hatred of Ashland that has been fostered at both Boyd County and Russell over the decades as Lions and Red Devils more often than not lost to the always prideful Tomcats.

Someone should have warned him.  You don’t talk to your rivals on the phone.  I guess the Ashland principal didn’t recognize this either, though, as he actually tried to win an election from constituents living largely in the Russell school district.  They both severely underestimated the hatred that exists between these schools and programs.

Sure, members, administrators, parents, and alumni of all these schools will look each other in the face and point out they all eat at the same restaurants, shop at the same stores, and worship at the same churches, but don’t be surprised to see knives sticking out of each others backs when they walk away.

Now we’re left to see if the KHSAA agrees that the sacrifice of Jason Mays is enough.  If not, Ashland’s boys basketball players could be sitting in the stands at the district and region tournaments this season.  If that’s the case, Boyd County and Russell will surely welcome any talented Ashland athletes with open arms.  We shall see.
Someone should have warned the two transfers from Ashland to ironton that turned in those kids. Can’t live in a glass house.
Hoot, I have no issue with you. As a matter of fact, I have always enjoyed your thoughts. However, I will disagree. He may be fired, but I still feel strongly that he was set up. That is merely my opinion, and just like everyone else that has them, I have my own. Take care, and I certainly wish you well
(11-16-2022, 06:03 PM)Vols0528 Wrote: Hoot, I have no issue with you.  As a matter of fact, I have always enjoyed your thoughts.  However, I will disagree.  He may be fired, but I still feel strongly that he was set up.  That is merely my opinion, and just like everyone else that has them, I have my own.  Take care, and I certainly wish you well

There is no doubt Mays was set up.  That’s not merely your opinion.  He answered the phone and talked comfortably for 50 minutes on a call that was being recorded unbeknownst to him and subsequently released on the internet with the clear intent of damaging him.  That is the very definition of being set up.
(11-16-2022, 06:03 PM)Vols0528 Wrote: Hoot, I have no issue with you.  As a matter of fact, I have always enjoyed your thoughts.  However, I will disagree.  He may be fired, but I still feel strongly that he was set up.  That is merely my opinion, and just like everyone else that has them, I have my own.  Take care, and I certainly wish you well
Anytime somebody records a private conversation and then releases it publicly, it is fair to say that the person being recorded without their knowledge was set up. I don't dispute that happened in this case. Where we may disagree is that the fact that Mays was set up does not negate what I interpret was an effort to recruit a player and an admission that he had recruited players in the past. We may never know what other evidence KHSAA uncovered in response to the recording. I thought the recording alone justified a serious penalty but never thought that it would lead to Mays being fired. Best wishes to you as well for the upcoming holidays and beyond.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • 16thregioner
(11-16-2022, 11:14 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: Glad they finally made a decision one way or another. I do think the parent that recorded that conversation is a piece of trash though. Should just said sorry, not interested and hung up. People have been recruiting since the beginning of mankind. Army’s recruit, businesses recruit, you name it.

It's not illegal in the Army or in business.
I just don't get the affection for recruiting/transfers. It's the worst thing about high school sports for me, and I've spent decades around it.
I hope this parent doesn't come out smelling like a rose. I would hope that those around Boyle would see this, on his end, for what it is. He was looking for a spot for his kid because he didn't want him to be around another. I wouldn't know Mays if he stepped in front of me. If the school and the KHSAA uncover bad stuff, then so be it.

I think one thing most of us can agree on is that the KHSAA seems to put the hammer down on some but not all. I know there are a ton of schools out there. I am good with it as long as it is applied equally to all.
(11-16-2022, 06:28 PM)Vols0528 Wrote: I hope this parent doesn't come out smelling like a rose.  I would hope that those around Boyle would see this, on his end, for what it is.  He was looking for a spot for his kid because he didn't want him to be around another.  I wouldn't know Mays if he stepped in front of me.  If the school and the KHSAA uncover bad stuff, then so be it. 

I think one thing most of us can agree on is that the KHSAA seems to put the hammer down on some but not all.  I know there are a ton of schools out there.  I am good with it as long as it is applied equally to all.
One thing any fan of high school basketball will agree on is in this situation KHSAA should drop the hammer.  Not even a debate.
(11-16-2022, 10:01 AM)16thregioner Wrote: What facts make this OK?
In my opinion, Mays deserved to be fired because he got caught talking badly about his players on his team in an effort to lure the son of the recording father.  I don't know how he could win back respect of his team after that.  Ashland should have let him go when the recording was released.

What facts make this NOT OK?
Mays got caught recruiting, but it happened via malicious entrapment by a Boyd County parent.  Boyd County has benefited more from transfers across their athletic program than any school in the area over the past 5 years.  If you truly believe the many transfers that have enrolled at Boyd County over the past 5 years were done without any backroom conversations with coaches and administrators, then you are either a low IQ person or just dishonest.  At best, you can just claim they're better at not getting caught.

What will happen to Jason Mays?
Who knows?  The man has been going through a difficult family time and I truly feel bad for him at this point.  He is clearly a great coach who worked hard for his players to benefit himself, but he belongs in a bigger city where high school sports aren't such a big deal to generations of people who tie their identity to the success of a school.  Look at Nathan McPeek.  He was run out of Fairview by Ashland and Raceland, yet now he coaches the best football team in the entire state and regularly sends his players to power 5 schools.  There is a place for coaches like Jason Mays...just not in these parts.

What will happen to the Ashland boys basketball team?
I'm sure we will find out before December 2nd, their opening game, if they can participate in district and region play this season.  If the KHSAA punishment follows the Rose Hill basketball and Fairview football situations, then they won't be suiting up in the post-season this year.  I hope for the players sake that they somehow get to compete, though.  As for the coaching situation, who knows?  One Ashland coach, ironically from Boyd County, was specifically implicated in the recruiting so I'm not sure if this is a purge of the entire staff or not.  If Ashland hires someone internal, then people like 16th Region Baller get his way and his boy might get to play.  If Ashland hires someone external, then the candidate better be squeaky clean which means he's likely never won anywhere before.

What will happen to the Ashland boys basketball transfers?
It's being floated that Boyd County has petitioned the KHSAA to deem a couple of transfers ineligible to play, specifically one that the recording father has a special hatred for per his call.  This is disgusting to me and further casts Boyd County in a terrible light.  From the father admitting on his call to harassing the boy during open gyms to Boyd County turning him away from admission to their Homecoming dance this year, I don't know if I've ever seen a school show a single player so much hatred.  I hope all the Ashland players get to play but if they don't, I hope there are some attorneys who will step up and cool off Boyd County's fervor against Ashland and specifically this player.
Completely agree with your statement. What stood out the most to me was his comments of his current players. I just don’t see a way that relationship changed if he would have stayed. I personally don’t like high school recruiting and I like coaches that win with what they got, make no excuses and develop that winning team. I would like to know all the other recruitment that hasn’t surfaced yet.
I agree with you. But i think it has to go further than just throwing down the hammer on the HC, in this case Mays. I personally feel that the KHSAA or the school that the player is currently enrolled in has to hold the parent accountable as well. You can't possibly have one without the other. I can tell you for a fact, when I was coaching I did have numerous parents from other schools approach myself or other coaches even during and directly after a game wanting to know if we would be interested in a kid. Personally I find that disgusting at best. At the end of the day what are you teaching your kid, even if in a bad situation. The only thing I feel you teach is them is how to run from a battle not figure out a solution or be part of the solution.
(11-16-2022, 07:11 PM)Vols0528 Wrote: I agree with you.  But i think it has to go further than just throwing down the hammer on the HC, in this case Mays.  I personally feel that the KHSAA or the school that the player is currently enrolled in has to hold the parent accountable as well.  You can't possibly have one without the other.  I can tell you for a fact, when I was coaching I did have numerous parents from other schools approach myself or other coaches even during and directly after a game wanting to know if we would be interested in a kid.  Personally I find that disgusting at best.  At the end of the day what are you teaching your kid, even if in a bad situation.  The only thing I feel you teach is them is how to run from a battle not figure out a solution or be part of the solution.
This post is full of contradictions. You would want the parent to get in trouble for what? What bylaw or law did they break?  But you have continued to say mays doesn’t need to get in trouble for multiple violations. For doing what you THINK the parent done. I think we all know”who actually listened to the audio” Mays contacted the parent begging for his son. Fact. Not opinion. No grey area about it. So for you to say what you are saying is moronic at best. Mays is fired because he thought he was bigger then the rules. A total disregard of the rules he has signed his 4 years. Then behind the scenes is breaking them. Now he has been removed. Hopefully tonight at this parent meeting we can move forward with a coach and hope the khsaa only fines and vacates wins. Hopefully no post season ban for the kids. We will find out soon enough Nov 25 is right around the corner. Everything being said. It is way worse then just that one phone call. He didn’t lose his job. FYI he is a teacher. Recruiter second. Can’t call him a coach.  Now is that the type of example you want for young men. Cheat to win. Rules are made to be broke.  Take no responsibility for your own actions. I think he needs a lesson in what it takes to be a man. In my opinion. He is not a good example.
listen man, and i will say this only once. You can't have it both ways. You can't say clean it up and only hold one set accountable. The parent was equally at fault as he was clearly on the audio pimping out his son. I get it, you want coaches held accountable but parents to be a cancer to programs. At some point parents need to shut the hell up, keep there kids where they are and stop being a pain in everyone's behind.

And by your own words what exactly are parents teaching there kids when they get on the phone under false pretences and say there word is there word only it isn't at all. What example are parents teaching there kids when they try to pull them away from one program to go to another just because they don't like a kid from the team they should be at.

At the end of the day I don't care one way or the other but don't preach to me that one is accountable and the other isn't. We are going to have a disconnect there. I don't care about some damn rule that isn't in place. There is a difference between right and wrong.
[-] The following 2 users Like Vols0528's post:
  • Ky1976, LOOKAYANNER
(11-16-2022, 08:14 PM)Vols0528 Wrote: listen man, and i will say this only once.  You can't have it both ways.  You can't say clean it up and only hold one set accountable.  The parent was equally at fault as he was clearly on the audio pimping out his son.  I get it, you want coaches held accountable but parents to be a cancer to programs.    At some point parents need to shut the hell up, keep there kids where they are and stop being a pain in everyone's behind. 

And by your own words what exactly are parents teaching there kids when they get on the phone under false pretences and say there word is there word only it isn't at all.  What example are parents teaching there kids when they try to pull them away from one program to go to another just because they don't like a kid from the team they should be at. 

At the end of the day I don't care one way or the other but don't preach to me that one is accountable and the other isn't.  We are going to have a disconnect there.  I don't care about some damn rule that isn't in place.  There is a  difference between right and wrong.
You wouldn’t know right from wrong if it smacked you in the face. Obviously. I have never swayed my opinion on this matter the entire time. Read your post. You want the Parent who has nothing to do with either program to be held accountable for what??  Just left the parents meeting that named Ryan Bonner the new head coach. The only crazy parents are the ones who have been recruited in here by Mays. Cater, Deboard to name a few parents who stood up and defended this man. Why?  One lives in Bellefonte and the other Greenup. Neither even live here. I agree parents are a huge problem. Stay put where you actually live and pay taxes. They don’t here. I want to thank the mom of a football player.  Who got up and put the record straight.   Again in your opinion cause it isn’t based off one fact. What did the parent do? Bylaw broken? Nothing?  You deflected. The audio is 50 min of Mays begging this kid to come over Ashland kids. There isn’t one time the parent asked Mays about coming to ashland. Not once. Fact audio. You might want to listen.
Was it entrapment? Yes. However, Coach Mays could've chosen to not engage in the conversation, and told him that if he was interested in moving his kid to Ashland, he needs to speak to the Athletic Director or Principal. I know for a fact that is how most schools tell their coaches to handle a phone call like that. He slipped up, and is paying for it. Does NOT make what the parent did right, by any means, but parents don't abide by KHSAA by-laws, coaches do.
(11-16-2022, 10:18 PM)Fanman Wrote: Was it entrapment? Yes. However, Coach Mays could've chosen to not engage in the conversation, and told him that if he was interested in moving his kid to Ashland, he needs to speak to the Athletic Director or Principal.  I know for a fact that is how most schools tell their coaches to handle a phone call like that.  He slipped up, and is paying for it.  Does NOT make what the parent did right, by any means, but parents don't abide by KHSAA by-laws, coaches do.
How was it entrapment? Coach called parent. Begged parent to bring kid to Ashland?  I’m missing something.

(11-16-2022, 10:24 PM)16thregionballer Wrote:
(11-16-2022, 10:18 PM)Fanman Wrote: Was it entrapment? Yes. However, Coach Mays could've chosen to not engage in the conversation, and told him that if he was interested in moving his kid to Ashland, he needs to speak to the Athletic Director or Principal.  I know for a fact that is how most schools tell their coaches to handle a phone call like that.  He slipped up, and is paying for it.  Does NOT make what the parent did right, by any means, but parents don't abide by KHSAA by-laws, coaches do.
How was it entrapment? Coach called parent. Begged parent to bring kid to Ashland?  I’m missing something.
Alleged copies of text from other kid from Russell! Copy of text of coach asking was entrapment as well?  If I go rob a bank because I want the money inside.  The bank entrapment occurred due to me being seen on camera stealing or attempted to steal the money?  I don’t see how any of Mays facts are entrapment at all.

The parent called him back and didn't have to. And had it recorded to get him in trouble. That's the definition of entrapment.  BUT....the coach did EVERYTHING wrong after he answered the phone lol.  All I'm saying is, If the coach had handled it correctly he would not be in trouble.  Trust me this post isn't a defense of Coach Mays in any way lol.
(11-16-2022, 10:35 PM)Fanman Wrote:

The parent called him back and didn't have to. And had it recorded to get him in trouble. That's the definition of entrapment.  BUT....the coach did EVERYTHING wrong after he answered the phone lol.  All I'm saying is, If the coach had handled it correctly he would not be in trouble.  Trust me this post isn't a defense of Coach Mays in any way lol.
I don’t think it is. I just have listened to the audio. I don’t see the entrapment. So if it was txt back and forth. Still entrapment?  I don’t feel either is. If one is then I don’t see how they both are not?  This is totally for debate sake.

(11-16-2022, 10:44 PM)16thregionballer Wrote:

I don’t think it is. I just have listened to the audio. I don’t see the entrapment. So if it was txt back and forth. Still entrapment?  I don’t feel either is. If one is then I don’t see how they both are not?  This is totally for debate sake. I don’t see how that caller lured him in. Especially how do you lure someone in when they called and asked for a kid and the parent never said anything about going or wanting to go?  He imo willfully called, asked, offered, begged and was told no by the parent. 

I don’t think it is. I just have listened to the audio. I don’t see the entrapment. So if it was txt back and forth. Still entrapment?  I don’t feel either is. If one is then I don’t see how they both are not?  This is totally for debate sake.

I don’t think it is. I just have listened to the audio. I don’t see the entrapment. So if it was txt back and forth. Still entrapment?  I don’t feel either is. If one is then I don’t see how they both are not?  This is totally for debate sake. I don’t see how that caller lured him in. Especially how do you lure someone in when they called and asked for a kid and the parent never said anything about going or wanting to go?  He imo willfully called, asked, offered, begged and was told no by the parent. 
I mean, by Websters dictionary, the definition of entrapment is: the action of luring an individual into committing a crime in order to prosecute the person for it.  So, by calling a coach back and recording it, you probably have an idea that he is about to say something pretty bad, and he will get in trouble for it. 
(11-16-2022, 10:57 PM)Fanman Wrote:

(11-16-2022, 10:24 PM)16thregionballer Wrote: How was it entrapment? Coach called parent. Begged parent to bring kid to Ashland?  I’m missing something.

I mean, by Websters dictionary, the definition of entrapment is: the action of luring an individual into committing a crime in order to prosecute the person for it.  So, by calling a coach back and recording it, you probably have an idea that he is about to say something pretty bad, and he will get in trouble for it. 
That’s what I’m saying. It’s not entrapment by definition. Coach called, coached begged without parent asking!  He just recorded. Now we can only speculate why he recorded it. Definitely not entrapment. Just by the fact. Nothing illegal about recording a two party call. We all know that

(11-16-2022, 11:01 PM)16thregionballer Wrote:
(11-16-2022, 10:24 PM)16thregionballer Wrote: How was it entrapment? Coach called parent. Begged parent to bring kid to Ashland?  I’m missing something.

(11-16-2022, 10:35 PM)Fanman Wrote: The parent called him back and didn't have to. And had it recorded to get him in trouble. That's the definition of entrapment.  BUT....the coach did EVERYTHING wrong after he answered the phone lol.  All I'm saying is, If the coach had handled it correctly he would not be in trouble.  Trust me this post isn't a defense of Coach Mays in any way lol.
That’s what I’m saying. It’s not entrapment by definition. Coach called, coached begged without parent asking!  He just recorded. Now we can only speculate why he recorded it. Definitely not entrapment. Just by the fact. Nothing illegal about recording a two party call. We all know that
I do agree with his reputation of being a con
(11-16-2022, 11:01 PM)16thregionballer Wrote:

(11-16-2022, 10:35 PM)Fanman Wrote: The parent called him back and didn't have to. And had it recorded to get him in trouble. That's the definition of entrapment.  BUT....the coach did EVERYTHING wrong after he answered the phone lol.  All I'm saying is, If the coach had handled it correctly he would not be in trouble.  Trust me this post isn't a defense of Coach Mays in any way lol.
The parent knew (via previous communication) what was about to happen. He knew what he was doing.
The parent turned in proof that a coach that was cheating. So be it, it’s hard to fault somebody for evening the playing field. It’s a list cause for Ashland fans to attempt to try to change the narrative to the Dad. The coach blatantly cheated and justice is in the process of being served.
(11-16-2022, 11:22 PM)SocratesKy Wrote: The parent turned in proof that a coach that was cheating.  So be it, it’s hard to fault somebody for evening the playing field.  It’s a list cause for Ashland fans to attempt to try to change the narrative to the Dad.  The coach blatantly cheated and justice is in the process of being served.

I'm not disagreeing with you by any means.  Glad to see the punishment handed out. Because you know if he did it in this scenario, he had already, or will do it in the future.
(11-16-2022, 11:01 PM)16thregionballer Wrote: That’s what I’m saying. It’s not entrapment by definition. Coach called, coached begged without parent asking!  He just recorded. Now we can only speculate why he recorded it. Definitely not entrapment. Just by the fact. Nothing illegal about recording a two party call. We all know that

The attorney for Jason Mays will definitely remove you from the jury pool in the civil suit against this parent. 

It is, in fact, entrapment by definition.  If you listened to the recording, it's Jason Mays who answers the phone and says "hello".  Unless you are an imbecile, we don't have to speculate as to why the parent recorded it AND released it on the internet.  This was done to damage the reputation, career, and finances of Jason Mays.  Another motive would be to ensure the parent's son could have a better chance at winning a 16th region title, but thousands of parents for generations have shared that motive.  This is the first parent to go after a man's career.

I agree with you that the most likely states where this call was originated and received are one-party consent states, so the parent will not be going to jail. 

16thregionballer, would you be OK with having all of your personal conversations recorded from here on out?  How about being OK with having them released on the internet after they've been recorded?  I bet we could find at least one conversation for most people that would be life altering if that became common practice.

It's not changing the narrative at this point.  Jason Mays has been dealt with by the KHSAA.  His reputation has been tarnished and his job has been ended.  There's no more narrative with regards to Jason Mays.  Perhaps Boyd supporters would like to keep the narrative focused on Ashland in hopes of a post-season ban or player ineligibility, but that narrative only has a few more days of life until it's over.
[-] The following 3 users Like 16thregioner's post:
  • Bull got out!, i82much, Ky1976
(11-15-2022, 05:23 PM)Ramcat77 Wrote:
(11-15-2022, 05:20 PM)Strikeout King Wrote: Why would they fire him with the season less than two weeks away?

Because the KHSAA was fixing to drop the hammer.

This is the most ridiculous commentary imaginable. You say “As far as Mays being a good coach, he isn’t.” You add, “he hasn’t developed anyone”. That he’s a “criminal.” 
unbelievable!! 
You are 100% wrong! His first team at Ashland didn’t have a single transfer. The season was a up and down until late January when he was able to get Cole Villers back from a knee injury. After he returned the team started on a roll. Jason had to change his philosophy some because he was used to coaching college kids and it’s different in high school. Once he figured that out and made some changes in strategy the team won Ashland’s first regional championship in 17 years! And they didn’t stop there. They defeated Owensboro at the State Tournament and made it to the Quarterfinals where they lost to eventual champs Trinity. This was accomplished with the team he inherited. No transfers. The second year he coached he had one transfer and the rest were Ashland boys. That team went undefeated at 33-0 and defeated the likes of Trinity, Warren Central, Madison Central, GRC, Mason County, etc along the way. Unfortunately they didn’t get to play at Rupp because of the Pandemic. The Tomcats won another 16th Region title. They will go down as the first teams since Brewers High in the 1940s to finish a season undefeated. His third year coaching there were two transfers. One was a doctor’s son from West Virginia that was hired at the hospital. The other was an 8th grade transfer from Greenup. The rest of the team was Ashland kids. The team won another regional championship and won their first two games at the state tournament against Knox Central and Boyle County, finally losing to Highlands in the semifinals. And last year there was one transfer who played very sparingly. They won their fourth straight region but got a tough draw at Rupp and lost to Covington Catholic in the first round, a team that they had defeated earlier in the season. 
So Coach Mays’ record at Ashland in his four years is 99-28 with 3 district titles and 4 region titles. Some of his players that have gone on to play college basketball are Robinson, Villers, Sellars, Porter, the kid at Transy who I can’t recall the name but I think it is Hudson. 
And you say he’s not a good coach, he’s a good recruiter. SMH. Totally outlandish statements. He has had 4…., let me repeat this….4 transfers in the 4 years he’s been at Ashland. GRC had 7 transfers last year alone and most of them started in their state championship season. And I’m not saying they were not totally legitimate. Just saying. Kids transfer all over the state every year. And if you think there’s not conversations going on between parents and staffs pre and post you are badly mistaken. Yeah, Jason made a mistake, but when compared to other schools 4 transfers in 4 years is mild.
You obviously must have family that didn’t make the team or wasn’t good enough to play. Your hatred for this coach for your own selfish and personal reasons is an obsession. But I’m not going to to sit ideally and not respond to absolutely ludicrous comments like you’ve made about Mays’ coaching abilities. He is one of the top coaches in the state. He is great at developing players and improving their games. He didn’t coach to 4 regional championships without knowing how to coach. He didn’t coach Ashland to 3 wins at Rupp  without knowing what he was doing. He didn’t coach a team to 33-0 by not understanding the game.
Yeah, you’ve made it clear you don’t personally like him, and that’s fine if you feel that way. But you only make  yourself look ridiculous and childish with accusations and opinions that this man can’t coach. He just didn’t roll out the basketballs and it magically happened.
[-] The following 4 users Like LOOKAYANNER's post:
  • 16thregioner, Appalachian Cat, i82much, Ky1976
I agree with most of your post praising Mays. He was the best coach our area has seen with regards to leadership, culture, and legitimate contacts to help kids play in college. He exposed the other area coaches for being what they are for the most part, lazy gym teachers who are picking up an extra check. He brought in big time teams to play in our area and even hosted an NCAA sanctioned recruiting event where ALL area teams were invited to play in front of big time college coaches. Look at the success of Zander Carter. He’s a sophomore with D-1 offers already. He would not have had those offers had he stayed at Greenup. He has them now, though, because he chose to come to Ashland to play under Mays, go through his practices, play with better players, and learn from his culture. Carter is a different player for having come to play for Mays.

You are wrong, however, that there weren’t some questionable things going on. The boy from Cabell Midland didn’t even graduate at Ashland but rather moved back as soon as the season was over. There would also be many question how a 6-10 player goes from the Sudan to Bath County to Ashland, even though that player displays no discernible basketball ability. Obviously, Mays had talks with Bell, Deboard, and Spurlock as he revealed in the call. You say 4 transfers in 4 years, but there have been many more than 4. You’ve seen the 4 that have been on the floor in varsity games. Ashland has gotten a few other younger transfers, though, mostly from Boyd, in the past few seasons. Mays messed up by not leaving the recruiting to parents and henchmen as other schools do. That’s all.

Some small town high school hoop dreams might be fulfilled for some county kids now, but the area is worse off for losing Jason Mays.

I will add…Randall Anderson is about to be crucified this season if he does not win the region after his parents have removed the main obstacle.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16thregioner's post:
  • Ky1976
(11-16-2022, 12:39 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: There is no evidence that Mays committed any crime. KHSSA regulations are not part of any criminal code. Being fired from a job is a serious punishment but calling him a criminal is unfair, IMO. I hope that the termination was well founded because those actions sometimes backfire on schools. Nobody deserved to be fired any more than Billy Gillespie, and he actually committed some crimes, but UK paid a fortune to get rid of him.

I don't think KHSSA regulations apply here.
(11-17-2022, 11:48 AM)16thregioner Wrote: I agree with most of your post praising Mays.  He was the best coach our area has seen with regards to leadership, culture, and legitimate contacts to help kids play in college.  He exposed the other area coaches for being what they are for the most part, lazy gym teachers who are picking up an extra check.  He brought in big time teams to play in our area and even hosted an NCAA sanctioned recruiting event where ALL area teams were invited to play in front of big time college coaches.  Look at the success of Zander Carter.  He’s a sophomore with D-1 offers already.  He would not have had those offers had he stayed at Greenup.  He has them now, though, because he chose to come to Ashland to play under Mays, go through his practices, play with better players, and learn from his culture.  Carter is a different player for having come to play for Mays.

You are wrong, however, that there weren’t some questionable things going on.  The boy from Cabell Midland didn’t even graduate at Ashland but rather moved back as soon as the season was over.  There would also be many question how a 6-10 player goes from the Sudan to Bath County to Ashland, even though that player displays no discernible basketball ability.  Obviously, Mays had talks with Bell, Deboard, and Spurlock as he revealed in the call.  You say 4 transfers in 4 years, but there have been many more than 4.  You’ve seen the 4 that have been on the floor in varsity games.  Ashland has gotten a few other younger transfers, though, mostly from Boyd, in the past few seasons.  Mays messed up by not leaving the recruiting to parents and henchmen as other schools do.  That’s all.

Some small town high school hoop dreams might be fulfilled for some county kids now, but the area is worse off for losing Jason Mays.

I will add…Randall Anderson is about to be crucified this season if he does not win the region after his parents have removed the main obstacle.
My main emphasis in my post was to point out that 16regionballer’s comments that Mays was “not a good coach” are outrageous and self-serving comments. The guy can coach and works twice as hard as most coaches. He is organized and knows how to develop kids. His in-game decisions and changes and adjustments with defensive  and offensive strategies are top notch. Not every coach can do that. He sees developments during games and reacts quickly. There are some of these posters who have a personal issue with Mays, probably a relative not playing or whatever, and so they come up with goofy and outrageously biased opinions of his coaching. My guess is there are few who agree with him about Mays’ coaching skills. I’ve seen quite a few coaches over the years be loaded with talent and still can’t win. Jason knows how to mold teams into winners and he does it by making them go the extra mile in practice, a strong conditioning program, and promoting confidence in all his players. The fellow knows basketball in and out. He spent 7 years at Georgetown College, 3 at Valdosta State in Georgia and was coach at Kentucky Wesleyan. His proof is in his success at Ashland and his players successes, particularly the ones able to secure a college scholarship to play beyond high school. For anyone to say Coach Mays “isn’t a good coach and doesn’t develop players” is totally ludicrous and makes the person look basketball ignorant and shows they are not saying it for legitimacy but because they simply personally don’t like the coach. That statement has no basis in evidence.
[-] The following 2 users Like LOOKAYANNER's post:
  • 16thregioner, Ky1976
(11-17-2022, 12:31 PM)jamesclay Wrote:

I don't think KHSSA regulations apply here.
Why not? Are those not the regulations that were allegedly violated and resulted in Mays' termination?