Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Ashland self-reports possible recruiting violation to the KHSAA
(09-29-2022, 01:02 AM)Appalachian Cat Wrote:
(09-21-2022, 07:07 PM)i82much Wrote:
(09-21-2022, 01:31 PM)16thregionballer Wrote:
(09-20-2022, 02:56 PM)i82much Wrote:
(09-20-2022, 01:34 PM)16thregionballer Wrote: BASKETBALL

RYAN BRYANT (IRONTON) All Area FB Player led the football team in tackles in 2019
HUNTER GILLUM (BOYD CO) All Area FB Player, led the football team to State Championship MVP in 2021, played on state tournament bball teams
TRISTIN DAVIS (BOYD CO)
CAMRYN DAVIS (BOYD CO) 
COLIN PORTER (ELLIOTT CO) All Area Player, multiple state tournament appearances
TYSON LALONDE (BOYD CO)
ZANDER CARTER (GREENUP CO) All Area player, multiple state tournament appearances
SEAN MARCUM (CABELL MIDLAND) transferred back to CM the day after state tournament loss and parents rented a house off former Super and Mayor's daughter
BRAXTON JENNINGS ( HUNTINGTON) leading rusher for fb team in 2023
JAMES MAYNOR (BATH CO) 
RICKEY PARDON (MISSOURI) All Area FB lived with guardian in Ironton that called plays for Ashland Football played on state tournament bball team
RHEYCE  DeBOARDE (RUSSELL, BOYD CO) All area player in bball

SOFTBALL
HALEY HANEY (BOYD CO) All Area SB Player Softball played on state tournament team 2019
RUTHIE PATHOLSKY (IRONTON) Softball state tournament 2019
MEGAN HENSLEY (COLUMBUS OH) All Area SB and VB , Pitcher of the year, Miss Softball and 6 state tournament teams in softball and led the volleyball team in kills
EMILY PREECE (ROSE HILL) Softball played on 5 state tournament softball teams
SYDNEY WHITT (RUSSELL) All Area Player state tournament player 2012,2013,14
McKENZIE VANOVER (ROSE HILL) Ky Softball HOF played on 5 state tournament softball teams
MEGAN MURPHY (BOYD CO) State Tournament 2015,2016, All Area player
CAITLIN TABOR (BOYD CO)
MADISON TABOR(BOYD CO)
KENZY MOORE (FAIRVIEW)

GIRLS B-BALL
KAYLIN GAMBLE (ROSE HILL) STATE TOURNAMENT PLAYER, ALL AREA
SYDNEY CULLOP (ROSE HILL) STATE TOURNAMENT PLAYER, ALL AREA
ALEX YOUNG (ROSE HILL) STATE TOURNAMENT
CHESELA WOODSON ( HUNTINGTON) STATE TOURNAMENT PLAYE, ARESSTED IN OPEN GYM BY APD 
KELSEE MCPEEK (FAIRVIEW)

BASEBALL
CODY BENNETT (RUSSELL)
BRAXTON RATLIFF(PAINTSVILLE) ALL AREA FB AND BASEBALL PLAYER)
CALEB SKAGGS (BOYD CO) PLAYED FB ALSO

This is just a few kids I have seen come into Ashland.  Transferring legally vs BEING RECRUITED BY A COACH ILLEGALLY.  Big difference.  I enjoy the commentary but facts are facts.  The COACH RED HANDED recruited a player, spoke of other players he is currently recruiting, and recruited in the past.  OUR ASHLAND KIDS deserve better!!!

I'm not sure I'm following this list.  Are you saying all of these kids were recruited?   There are kids on this list that I don't know anything about or how they got here and have no idea what their motivations were and I have no idea whether they were recruited or not so I'm not going to say anything one way or another about them (and I wouldn't even if they were). But...there are also kids on this list that have been at Ashland most of elementary and all of middle school. I have known them for years and have many of them and their parents in my phone contacts and talk to them all the time. They are about as maroon as anyone I know. Many, many kids in our area attend pre-school and early elementary at Rose Hill and then later transfer to public schools throughout the area. My own kids fit into this category. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with you posting the names of any kids on a public message board to try to support a narrative.  Again, I'm a little mixed up with this list anyway but you have NO business including the names of many of these kids on such a list no matter your intention. I'm not a message board expert so I don't know the legality of such a list but at best it's in very poor taste.
Who knows if they are all recruited.  We do know definetly some have been due to the audio. I have know many of the families on here as well due to going to school and outside friends. I no way was this done in poor taste.  You seem to be sensitive when I place a name on list but not the 16thregioner when he posted it of other kids.  You are just selectively offended.  You just trying misdirect the content of the post.  We at Ashland are embarrassed at our Administration of the handling of this coach who has brought so many recruits ( Direct violation of Bylaw 16) to play over our home grown kids.  I would assume you have no SKIN in THE GAME. Meaning your kids have graduated. For the parents and kids that are still here enduring this exploitation of kids.  It is an embarrassment.

I know some of the kids on the list and care deeply about them and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt they were not "recruited" by anyone and have been Ashland kids since middle and/or grade school. Looking back and listing every kid that attended another school at anytime during their childhood, and in many cases, graduated long before anyone knew who Jason Mays was, and then assume they were recruited to support a narrative and then post their names on a message board is insane and definitely in poor taste. I didn't see the other list you were referring to, so I backtracked to look at it, and I agree, it should not have been posted. I'm truly a fan of the 16th region. Ashland is not the only school I have close ties to. I would be offended if you did the same thing to any kids in any system especially if I know them and know what your saying is a lie. I've talked to many students and parents in Ashland and I just don't see the "embarrassment" you keep referring to and I have never heard "exploitation" used in any of the conversations. Do they support the phone call? Of course not! Most of them know Coach Mays and pray for him and his family daily. That's what good people do even when they don't agree with what happened. They're willing to accept the punishment and move on. They don't assume a fake identity on a message board and then throw anything out there and hope it sticks. I don't know what your motives are but I do know they're not sincere. You have an agenda.....
Very well said.  We all know this is a couple Boyd Team dads that are covering the fact this guy was shopping his kid around.  Nobody bit and feelings were hurt.  The phone conversation happened but he was promised nothing and daddy had a hard time with that.  
The dad did call Mays. (Whether it was the initial call or a call back … doesn’t matter.  He called! And that is a KHSAA violation as well.). If we are going to start demanding the rules are followed, then he/Boyd Co. should pay the fiddler as well.  WHAT ADULT SECRETLY RECORDS A CALL!  I wouldn’t show my face again.

(09-28-2022, 09:13 AM)16thregionballer Wrote:
(09-28-2022, 08:19 AM)16thregioner Wrote: https://twitter.com/CoachJMays/status/15...yr9dorAAAA

Doesn't look like a coach on the brink of losing his job.  Business as usual.  Nothing to see here.  Move along.
Always calmness before the storm.  You got to love a leadership session with a guy who sold you out for your biggest rival, caught cheating on an audio, I am embarrassed for us.  We look like fools with the biggest jester talking like he has any type of ethics/morals. While talking to the kid you recruited in the front row!  You can't make this stuff up. Hypocrisy at its finest. The true definition of a narcist I have ever seen.
Don’t say us like you are a Tomcat!  We all know where you are from Mr. Lion!  No need to recruit.  From what I hear, he was ran off!   You should be embarrassed of your school.  Daddy threw his man card out the window in front of the whole state!
Having a coach who calls numerous kids over the tristate to play in front of homegrown kids is pathetic. Mays called it’s on the audio. Mays admitted to trying recruit other kids. It’s on the audio. His assistant coach handling the recruitment of the other bc kid. It’s on the audio. All facts!  a ton of other violations he openly just admits too. All facts. Appy kitty you just throwing lies as well. You definitely don’t have a kid that plays. All the parents are upset that are from here. Embarrassing isn’t even a word for it. I guess your definition of man would be selling your kids out in front of the entire state to beg our biggest rival kids to come here and play over ashland kids. Just glad you don’t have a kid that plays. Mays would recruit over him as well. When will recruiting stop?  Never if he remains! Feel sorry for kids that go through our buddy league to middle school aspiring to be a tomcat. Then have this guy recruit over you due to being a liability or can’t hit meaningful shots. SMH wow.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16thregionballer's post:
  • Appalachian Cat
(09-29-2022, 02:15 AM)16thregionballer Wrote:
(09-21-2022, 01:31 PM)16thregionballer Wrote:
(09-20-2022, 02:56 PM)i82much Wrote: I'm not sure I'm following this list.  Are you saying all of these kids were recruited?   There are kids on this list that I don't know anything about or how they got here and have no idea what their motivations were and I have no idea whether they were recruited or not so I'm not going to say anything one way or another about them (and I wouldn't even if they were). But...there are also kids on this list that have been at Ashland most of elementary and all of middle school. I have known them for years and have many of them and their parents in my phone contacts and talk to them all the time. They are about as maroon as anyone I know. Many, many kids in our area attend pre-school and early elementary at Rose Hill and then later transfer to public schools throughout the area. My own kids fit into this category. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with you posting the names of any kids on a public message board to try to support a narrative.  Again, I'm a little mixed up with this list anyway but you have NO business including the names of many of these kids on such a list no matter your intention. I'm not a message board expert so I don't know the legality of such a list but at best it's in very poor taste.
Who knows if they are all recruited.  We do know definetly some have been due to the audio. I have know many of the families on here as well due to going to school and outside friends. I no way was this done in poor taste.  You seem to be sensitive when I place a name on list but not the 16thregioner when he posted it of other kids.  You are just selectively offended.  You just trying misdirect the content of the post.  We at Ashland are embarrassed at our Administration of the handling of this coach who has brought so many recruits ( Direct violation of Bylaw 16) to play over our home grown kids.  I would assume you have no SKIN in THE GAME. Meaning your kids have graduated. For the parents and kids that are still here enduring this exploitation of kids.  It is an embarrassment.

I know some of the kids on the list and care deeply about them and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt they were not "recruited" by anyone and have been Ashland kids since middle and/or grade school. Looking back and listing every kid that attended another school at anytime during their childhood, and in many cases, graduated long before anyone knew who Jason Mays was, and then assume they were recruited to support a narrative and then post their names on a message board is insane and definitely in poor taste. I didn't see the other list you were referring to, so I backtracked to look at it, and I agree, it should not have been posted. I'm truly a fan of the 16th region. Ashland is not the only school I have close ties to. I would be offended if you did the same thing to any kids in any system especially if I know them and know what your saying is a lie. I've talked to many students and parents in Ashland and I just don't see the "embarrassment" you keep referring to and I have never heard "exploitation" used in any of the conversations. Do they support the phone call? Of course not! Most of them know Coach Mays and pray for him and his family daily. That's what good people do even when they don't agree with what happened. They're willing to accept the punishment and move on. They don't assume a fake identity on a message board and then throw anything out there and hope it sticks. I don't know what your motives are but I do know they're not sincere. You have an agenda.....
Very well said.  We all know this is a couple Boyd Team dads that are covering the fact this guy was shopping his kid around.  Nobody bit and feelings were hurt.  The phone conversation happened but he was promised nothing and daddy had a hard time with that.  
The dad did call Mays. (Whether it was the initial call or a call back … doesn’t matter.  He called! And that is a KHSAA violation as well.). If we are going to start demanding the rules are followed, then he/Boyd Co. should pay the fiddler as well.  WHAT ADULT SECRETLY RECORDS A CALL!  I wouldn’t show my face again.

(09-28-2022, 08:19 AM)16thregioner Wrote: https://twitter.com/CoachJMays/status/15...yr9dorAAAA

Doesn't look like a coach on the brink of losing his job.  Business as usual.  Nothing to see here.  Move along.
Always calmness before the storm.  You got to love a leadership session with a guy who sold you out for your biggest rival, caught cheating on an audio, I am embarrassed for us.  We look like fools with the biggest jester talking like he has any type of ethics/morals. While talking to the kid you recruited in the front row!  You can't make this stuff up. Hypocrisy at its finest. The true definition of a narcist I have ever seen.
Don’t say us like you are a Tomcat!  We all know where you are from Mr. Lion!  No need to recruit.  From what I hear, he was ran off!   You should be embarrassed of your school.  Daddy threw his man card out the window in front of the whole state!
Having a coach who calls numerous kids over the tristate to play in front of homegrown kids is pathetic. Mays called it’s on the audio. Mays admitted to trying recruit other kids. It’s on the audio. His assistant coach handling the recruitment of the other bc kid. It’s on the audio. All facts!  a ton of other violations he openly just admits too. All facts. Appy kitty you just throwing lies as well. You definitely don’t have a kid that plays. All the parents are upset that are from here. Embarrassing isn’t even a word for it. I guess your definition of man would be selling your kids out in front of the entire state to beg our biggest rival kids to come here and play over ashland kids. Just glad you don’t have a kid that plays. Mays would recruit over him as well. When will recruiting stop?  Never if he remains! Feel sorry for kids that go through our buddy league to middle school aspiring to be a tomcat. Then have this guy recruit over you due to being a liability or can’t hit meaningful shots. SMH wow.
You do realize that the accusing school is guilty of the same thing right?   And you can write a book on the girls team.  It is just not recorded.  Secretly recording another grown man is a whole other level of wrong in my book.  He should be liable for doing that.  My friends would stop talking to me if I even mentioned that trash.  I am not hearing this second hand… I know and seen it with my own eyes.  No I will not say who it was because it  involves kids.  Hitting the record button is pathetic.  
If you are successful and win, you have a big target on your back.  Rather than develop your team, it is much easier to try and ruin or dismantle the successful one.  If they change the culture out there and stop letting this bully shove people around, winning will take care of itself.  They have good players.  Trying to run off the coach was definitely not a good way to start!  Lol.  Misery loves company.
(09-29-2022, 10:51 PM)Appalachian Cat Wrote:
(09-21-2022, 01:31 PM)16thregionballer Wrote: Who knows if they are all recruited.  We do know definetly some have been due to the audio. I have know many of the families on here as well due to going to school and outside friends. I no way was this done in poor taste.  You seem to be sensitive when I place a name on list but not the 16thregioner when he posted it of other kids.  You are just selectively offended.  You just trying misdirect the content of the post.  We at Ashland are embarrassed at our Administration of the handling of this coach who has brought so many recruits ( Direct violation of Bylaw 16) to play over our home grown kids.  I would assume you have no SKIN in THE GAME. Meaning your kids have graduated. For the parents and kids that are still here enduring this exploitation of kids.  It is an embarrassment.

You do realize that the accusing school is guilty of the same thing right?   And you can write a book on the girls team.  It is just not recorded.  Secretly recording another grown man is a whole other level of wrong in my book.  He should be liable for doing that.  My friends would stop talking to me if I even mentioned that trash.  I am not hearing this second hand… I know and seen it with my own eyes.  No I will not say who it was because it  involves kids.  Hitting the record button is pathetic.  
If you are successful and win, you have a big target on your back.  Rather than develop your team, it is much easier to try and ruin or dismantle the successful one.  If they change the culture out there and stop letting this bully shove people around, winning will take care of itself.  They have good players.  Trying to run off the coach was definitely not a good way to start!  Lol.  Misery loves company.
If the accusing school has any proof that it happens. It should be turned in. I don’t live in a class house. We are dead wrong for allowing this guy to still represent Ashland. Cheaters, cons, and criminals get caught everyday. To have a man come here and actively recruit is beyond gutless. To hear him speak for 5 min you realize what a con. I haven’t seen him win here with ashland kids. That would be a nice welcomed change. We all would love to see here. Would you really want your kid playing for him? After listening to him sell his kids out!! What a great man!  What a winner!  Only by your definition. It’s funny you have a problem with the person who mays called to solicit for a recruit but not mays himself. It’s like saying you are mad at the home owner when they catch the thief!!! Poor logic
(09-30-2022, 12:03 AM)16thregionballer Wrote:
(09-21-2022, 07:07 PM)i82much Wrote: I know some of the kids on the list and care deeply about them and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt they were not "recruited" by anyone and have been Ashland kids since middle and/or grade school. Looking back and listing every kid that attended another school at anytime during their childhood, and in many cases, graduated long before anyone knew who Jason Mays was, and then assume they were recruited to support a narrative and then post their names on a message board is insane and definitely in poor taste. I didn't see the other list you were referring to, so I backtracked to look at it, and I agree, it should not have been posted. I'm truly a fan of the 16th region. Ashland is not the only school I have close ties to. I would be offended if you did the same thing to any kids in any system especially if I know them and know what your saying is a lie. I've talked to many students and parents in Ashland and I just don't see the "embarrassment" you keep referring to and I have never heard "exploitation" used in any of the conversations. Do they support the phone call? Of course not! Most of them know Coach Mays and pray for him and his family daily. That's what good people do even when they don't agree with what happened. They're willing to accept the punishment and move on. They don't assume a fake identity on a message board and then throw anything out there and hope it sticks. I don't know what your motives are but I do know they're not sincere. You have an agenda.....

(09-28-2022, 09:13 AM)16thregionballer Wrote: Always calmness before the storm.  You got to love a leadership session with a guy who sold you out for your biggest rival, caught cheating on an audio, I am embarrassed for us.  We look like fools with the biggest jester talking like he has any type of ethics/morals. While talking to the kid you recruited in the front row!  You can't make this stuff up. Hypocrisy at its finest. The true definition of a narcist I have ever seen.
If the accusing school has any proof that it happens. It should be turned in. I don’t live in a class house. We are dead wrong for allowing this guy to still represent Ashland. Cheaters, cons, and criminals get caught everyday. To have a man come here and actively recruit is beyond gutless. To hear him speak for 5 min you realize what a con. I haven’t seen him win here with ashland kids. That would be a nice welcomed change. We all would love to see here. Would you really want your kid playing for him? After listening to him sell his kids out!! What a great man!  What a winner!  Only by your definition. It’s funny you have a problem with the person who mays called to solicit for a recruit but not mays himself. It’s like saying you are mad at the home owner when they catch the thief!!! Poor logic
Mays has admitted that he said to much and owned up to it. People make mistakes.  I never said that I didn’t have a problem what happened. I have a problem with a grown man calling and recording an adult conversation without consent.  Gutless!  
On the recording the dad made the call.  Right or wrong, that is all we know. Unless you are him.  Then that would create a whole new level of embarrassment!  
I have daughters but I would most definitely let my kids play for him.  He is a good man. Name a better coach in the 16th or maybe the state.  My girls were taught to compete and work hard.  Not hide behind a phone recording to try and give them an edge.  
My logic is on point.  My kids play to win.  They are not soft and don’t expect to get a KHSAA Handout to win a game.  Mays has 4 consecutive regional titles.  He is a good dude and he wins.  Stop trying to act like the guy is a monster.  He let the idiot trap him.  He admitted he was wrong.  What more do you want?  Sounds like something personal outside of basketball to me. Get over it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Appalachian Cat's post:
  • LOOKAYANNER
(09-30-2022, 08:02 AM)Appalachian Cat Wrote:
(09-29-2022, 01:02 AM)Appalachian Cat Wrote: Very well said.  We all know this is a couple Boyd Team dads that are covering the fact this guy was shopping his kid around.  Nobody bit and feelings were hurt.  The phone conversation happened but he was promised nothing and daddy had a hard time with that.  

Mays has admitted that he said to much and owned up to it. People make mistakes.  I never said that I didn’t have a problem what happened. I have a problem with a grown man calling and recording an adult conversation without consent.  Gutless!  
On the recording the dad made the call.  Right or wrong, that is all we know. Unless you are him.  Then that would create a whole new level of embarrassment!  
I have daughters but I would most definitely let my kids play for him.  He is a good man. Name a better coach in the 16th or maybe the state.  My girls were taught to compete and work hard.  Not hide behind a phone recording to try and give them an edge.  
My logic is on point.  My kids play to win.  They are not soft and don’t expect to get a KHSAA Handout to win a game.  Mays has 4 consecutive regional titles.  He is a good dude and he wins.  Stop trying to act like the guy is a monster.  He let the idiot trap him.  He admitted he was wrong.  What more do you want?  Sounds like something personal outside of basketball to me. Get over it.
There is no better recruiter in northeastern Kentucky than Mays. Most schools look the other way while "friends of the program" do their dirty work. Not Coach Mays, by his own admission, he takes the bull by the horns and gets his hands dirty. Transparency is a good thing but he sounded like a fisherman talking about the big fish that got away during the recruiting call. Now we will see what, if anything, the KHSAA will have to say about Coach Mays ignoring its rules.
Heard yesterday that the said Dad that records phone calls of Ashland coach went to NKY to confront a said man that does so called ranking state players (prep hoops Ky) and threatened him. Dude from NKY had to get police involved to get him to leave. This dude is the problem with hs sports. Lol
(09-30-2022, 08:52 AM)Ky1976 Wrote: Heard yesterday that the said Dad that records phone calls of Ashland coach  went to NKY to confront a said man that does so called ranking state players (prep hoops Ky) and threatened him.  Dude from NKY had to get police involved to get him to leave.  This dude is the problem with hs sports.  Lol
If the dude that recorded Coach Mays were to be charged with murder today, it would not make what Coach Mays said during the recruiting call any less (or more) true. The dude could cheat on his wife and have a trunk full of unpaid parking tickets, but nothing that he has done or may do in the future has any bearing on Coach Mays' guilt or innocence of recruiting violations.
(09-30-2022, 08:02 AM)Appalachian Cat Wrote:
(09-29-2022, 01:02 AM)Appalachian Cat Wrote: Very well said.  We all know this is a couple Boyd Team dads that are covering the fact this guy was shopping his kid around.  Nobody bit and feelings were hurt.  The phone conversation happened but he was promised nothing and daddy had a hard time with that.  

If your daughters played to win and they played for him. They would sit the bench while kids he recruited played in front of them. As far as coaching! Who has he developed? He has recruited the last three years he has been here!! No homegrown development. Recruited over our kids!! That’s why you think he is a good dude! You can tell you never listened to audio. All him begging for a kid. Telling of other kids he has gotten in the past and tried to get in the past. You don’t have any skin in the game. It’s why your mad at dad not the guy who did our kids wrong here. Our administration failed our kids. Let’s hope the Khsaa doesn’t. You know what would probably help clear up who called who. Coach go in with his phone records!! Or the dad either way!  Instead of put letters out to the parents saying he was on vacation and took a call!  Once the audio came out we knew that was a lie. Be transparent.  Don’t hide.

(09-30-2022, 08:52 AM)Ky1976 Wrote: Heard yesterday that the said Dad that records phone calls of Ashland coach  went to NKY to confront a said man that does so called ranking state players (prep hoops Ky) and threatened him.  Dude from NKY had to get police involved to get him to leave.  This dude is the problem with hs sports.  
That would be frontline page news if that happened. I think we all would love to see that! You got any proof? Or you just trying to shift blame off mays!!

(09-30-2022, 08:59 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
(09-30-2022, 08:52 AM)Ky1976 Wrote: Heard yesterday that the said Dad that records phone calls of Ashland coach  went to NKY to confront a said man that does so called ranking state players (prep hoops Ky) and threatened him.  Dude from NKY had to get police involved to get him to leave.  This dude is the problem with hs sports.  Lol
If the dude that recorded Coach Mays were to be charged with murder today, it would not make what Coach Mays said during the recruiting call any less (or more) true. The dude could cheat on his wife and have a trunk full of unpaid parking tickets, but nothing that he has done or may do in the future has any bearing on Coach Mays' guilt or innocence of recruiting violations.
Hoot these guys support the criminal and crime. Not justice. They try to justify and shift blame. This shows the mental capacity of these guys.
No one ever answered me when I used to ask this question on here, but I’ll try again since there are some new participants in the conversation.

What exactly do you want the KHSAA to do as far as punishment for what Jason Mays has done? Should he be fired? Should the administration be fired? Should there be a post-season ban?

Usually these cases involve the eligibility of a player so the end result is clear. This is nothing like that. What specifically do you think the KHSAA should do to Ashland and/or Jason Mays?
(09-30-2022, 01:12 PM)16thregioner Wrote: No one ever answered me when I used to ask this question on here, but I’ll try again since there are some new participants in the conversation.

What exactly do you want the KHSAA to do as far as punishment for what Jason Mays has done?  Should he be fired?  Should the administration be fired?  Should there be a post-season ban?

Usually these cases involve the eligibility of a player so the end result is clear.  This is nothing like that.  What specifically do you think the KHSAA should do to Ashland and/or Jason Mays?
Mays should be let go as a coach at a minimum. Administration should be fined. No ban for post season/season for kids. It’s not our kids fault coach is an ego/cheater. This audio spans more than one kid. More than one phone call. More than one year. Every other case I have seen like this by the khsaa. The head coach quit or was let go. Bonner or strader should be the placed in the head position. The other coach that was handling the recruiting of the player that did transfer based of promises. Should be let go too. Let’s just clean house before we report other transfers to ironton. It’s just hypocritical.  Just my opinion.  What do you think should happen if you were the Khsaa? You never really said?
(09-30-2022, 01:12 PM)16thregioner Wrote: No one ever answered me when I used to ask this question on here, but I’ll try again since there are some new participants in the conversation.

What exactly do you want the KHSAA to do as far as punishment for what Jason Mays has done?  Should he be fired?  Should the administration be fired?  Should there be a post-season ban?

Usually these cases involve the eligibility of a player so the end result is clear.  This is nothing like that.  What specifically do you think the KHSAA should do to Ashland and/or Jason Mays?
The KHSAA should do nothing directly to punish Coach Mays, that is the school district's job. KHSAA should make an example of Ashland's basketball program, based partly on how (and if) the school has disciplined him. And that is a personnel matter that should not be made public. I am no expert on the powers delegated by the state to KHSAA. If they have the authority, then a one season post-season ban would be appropriate, IMO, especially if Coach Mays is to remain the head basketball coach.

I personally don't want them to come down hard on Ashland, I just hope they do SOMETHING. I feel like not doing anything will further inflate Coach Mays' ego, thinking he can push those limits more and more without getting caught. A suspension for several games and a hefty fine for the school would be good IMO. Also, what they call "enhanced supervision" over the program.
They won’t do anything to Assland. Assland has a long running relationship with the state on turning other schools in. You don’t poke the eyes out of your best hunting dog haha
[-] The following 1 user Likes RAMDAD50's post:
  • that's right
(10-02-2022, 03:09 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: They won’t do anything to Assland. Assland has a long running relationship with the state on turning other schools in. You don’t poke the eyes out of your best hunting dog haha
Ashland recently turned Ironton in to the OHSAA for allegedly using ineligible football players. They are reaching across state lines to get players ruled ineligible. I wonder if they are expecting their player to return in time for the playoffs if the OHSAA rules him ineligible to play for Ironton. Doing this while awaiting KHSAA to decide an appropriate punishment for Ashland's head basketball confessing to recruiting multiple players during a recorded phone call shows where Ashland's priorities are. I cannot think of a single Kentucky high school with a longer and better documented history of hypocrisy than Ashland.

But you're probably right. Ashland is like a bird dog feasting on leftovers from the hunt.
After hearing the recording, the coach should pack his bags for many reasons. Both the parent from BC that recorded the call and, Mays are real losers!
[-] The following 1 user Likes that's right's post:
  • Hoot Gibson
Here are the items I find most troubling about this situation:

1) The ego of Jason Mays. The guy sounds like he thinks he's coaching big time D-1 basketball. His statements in the call regarding "turning down the Ballard job", "getting the player on a big time AAU team", "should have gone after players harder", and particularly his derogatory remarks about his own "liability" players who don't make "meaningful" shots make it nearly impossible to be a fan of him.

2) The Ashland administration. By standing behind Mays and not punishing him in any public way, it appears they're OK with him making derogatory remarks about their own student-athletes. This seems unacceptable.

3) The lunacy of the Boyd County parent who recorded and released the call. An adult recording a call where he disparages another player by calling him a "cancer" and questioning his upbringing is low. Publicly releasing that call in an effort to try to help his son's team win is beyond the pale.

4) The Boyd County administration. Out of the sports currently in season...Boyd's best football player is from Coal Grove. Boyd's best volleyball player is from New Jersey. Boyd's best boys soccer player is from Missouri. Boyd's best girls soccer player is in "her first year at Boyd" according to her coach in the paper. Boyd boys basketball won their only region title since Y2K thanks to a player from Fairland, Ohio. Boyd girls basketball won several regions a few years ago thanks to 3 of the 5 starters being transfers, 2 twins from West Virginia alongside East Carter's best player. This is hypocrisy of the highest order.

There are so many wrongs here, it's hard to make it right. Perhaps the athletic programs at both schools should be put out to pasture for a year so they all can rethink their priorities.
(10-02-2022, 08:06 PM)16thregioner Wrote: Here are the items I find most troubling about this situation:

1) The ego of Jason Mays.  The guy sounds like he thinks he's coaching big time D-1 basketball.  His statements in the call regarding "turning down the Ballard job", "getting the player on a big time AAU team", "should have gone after players harder", and particularly his derogatory remarks about his own "liability" players who don't make "meaningful" shots make it nearly impossible to be a fan of him.

2) The Ashland administration.  By standing behind Mays and not punishing him in any public way, it appears they're OK with him making derogatory remarks about their own student-athletes.  This seems unacceptable.

3) The lunacy of the Boyd County parent who recorded and released the call.  An adult recording a call where he disparages another player by calling him a "cancer" and questioning his upbringing is low.  Publicly releasing that call in an effort to try to help his son's team win is beyond the pale.

4) The Boyd County administration.  Out of the sports currently in season...Boyd's best football player is from Coal Grove.  Boyd's best volleyball player is from New Jersey.  Boyd's best boys soccer player is from Missouri.  Boyd's best girls soccer player is in "her first year at Boyd" according to her coach in the paper.  Boyd boys basketball won their only region title since Y2K thanks to a player from Fairland, Ohio.  Boyd girls basketball won several regions a few years ago thanks to 3 of the 5 starters being transfers, 2 twins from West Virginia alongside East Carter's best player.  This is hypocrisy of the highest order.

There are so many wrongs here, it's hard to make it right.  Perhaps the athletic programs at both schools should be put out to pasture for a year so they all can rethink their priorities.
16thregioner, what would you do if you held the positions of the Superintendent or Principal at Ashland with the recording of Mays?  You never have said?

With all that is being said on this thread. The main issue is a coach who was caught begging (Recruiting)  for other players to come to Ashland and talking badly about his own kids.   All schools get transfers.  I  have said it my previous posts. No one faults a kid if he doesn't like his situation and transfers to another school. I do not think any adult would. As long as they do it by the rule. It is the recruitment of kids everyone gets upset by. Home grown kids are not being developed.  They are being recruited around.  It is in the coaches Code of Ethics.  Coaches have to attend the KHSAA every year where this is explained in detail. Here are a few. 

1. Coaches shall behave in such a way that they shall bring credit to their profession and themselves. Not trying to tilt the balance of play

2. Coaches shall exhibit professionalism in their actions, words coach what you have and hope for the best. Everyone gets a kid now and then but not every year and multiple players

3. Coaches shall act in full accordance with institutional, school district and state governing body rules. The KHSAA bylaws have a standard and they are not being followed.

4. Coaches shall immediately report any violation of school district and state governing body rules regardless of how minor they believe the violation to be. Only when caught is it a problem. 
  • Ky1976
(10-03-2022, 02:12 PM)16thregionballer Wrote: 16thregioner, what would you do if you held the positions of the Superintendent or Principal at Ashland with the recording of Mays?  You never have said?

Given the things he said about his own players, I would suspend him for a few games.

I wouldn’t fire him simply because that’s what Boyd County wants.  Given the fact that every best player on Boyd’s fall sports teams are “fortunate transfers”, it’s apparent I couldn’t trust the Boyd County administration to operate in good faith.

The hatred between these schools is real.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16thregioner's post:
  • 16thregionballer
(10-03-2022, 03:57 PM)16thregioner Wrote:
(10-03-2022, 02:12 PM)16thregionballer Wrote: 16thregioner, what would you do if you held the positions of the Superintendent or Principal at Ashland with the recording of Mays?  You never have said?

Given the things he said about his own players, I would suspend him for a few games.

I wouldn’t fire him simply because that’s what Boyd County wants.  Given the fact that every best player on Boyd’s fall sports teams are “fortunate transfers”, it’s apparent I couldn’t trust the Boyd County administration to operate in good faith.

The hatred between these schools is real.
I do agree with some of this and it does hit the nail on the head. I would say no one at either school hates each other.  Tension for sure.  However, we have a lot of eternal tension here at Ashland with this audio. Yes, Mays has apologized. Several times. However, even when he does apologizes he dismisses blame. It turns into he was entrapped. SMH.  You can tell he is just upset at getting caught. 

You said something that I totally agree with. Operate in good faith. Whether your BC, Ashland, Raceland, or any other school. The Administration has to operate in good faith.  It is what they are paid to do!  When that is not done and you are caught eternal or externally. It has to be handled appropriately.  I have asked why schools are dropping us in Basketball.  It is simple.  The schools are wanting the punishment to fit the crime.  In this case it is the audio of him recruiting. Lewis Co., West Carter, Russell, and Rowan all either are dropping or refusing to play when it comes to it. I do think everyone Loses in this case. Most would have quite and moved on to save face just with the kids alone.
  • 16thregioner
(10-03-2022, 02:12 PM)16thregionballer Wrote:
(10-02-2022, 08:06 PM)16thregioner Wrote: Here are the items I find most troubling about this situation:

1) The ego of Jason Mays.  The guy sounds like he thinks he's coaching big time D-1 basketball.  His statements in the call regarding "turning down the Ballard job", "getting the player on a big time AAU team", "should have gone after players harder", and particularly his derogatory remarks about his own "liability" players who don't make "meaningful" shots make it nearly impossible to be a fan of him.

2) The Ashland administration.  By standing behind Mays and not punishing him in any public way, it appears they're OK with him making derogatory remarks about their own student-athletes.  This seems unacceptable.

3) The lunacy of the Boyd County parent who recorded and released the call.  An adult recording a call where he disparages another player by calling him a "cancer" and questioning his upbringing is low.  Publicly releasing that call in an effort to try to help his son's team win is beyond the pale.

4) The Boyd County administration.  Out of the sports currently in season...Boyd's best football player is from Coal Grove.  Boyd's best volleyball player is from New Jersey.  Boyd's best boys soccer player is from Missouri.  Boyd's best girls soccer player is in "her first year at Boyd" according to her coach in the paper.  Boyd boys basketball won their only region title since Y2K thanks to a player from Fairland, Ohio.  Boyd girls basketball won several regions a few years ago thanks to 3 of the 5 starters being transfers, 2 twins from West Virginia alongside East Carter's best player.  This is hypocrisy of the highest order.

There are so many wrongs here, it's hard to make it right.  Perhaps the athletic programs at both schools should be put out to pasture for a year so they all can rethink their priorities.
16thregioner, what would you do if you held the positions of the Superintendent or Principal at Ashland with the recording of Mays?  You never have said?

With all that is being said on this thread. The main issue is a coach who was caught begging (Recruiting)  for other players to come to Ashland and talking badly about his own kids.   All schools get transfers.  I  have said it my previous posts. No one faults a kid if he doesn't like his situation and transfers to another school. I do not think any adult would. As long as they do it by the rule. It is the recruitment of kids everyone gets upset by. Home grown kids are not being developed.  They are being recruited around.  It is in the coaches Code of Ethics.  Coaches have to attend the KHSAA every year where this is explained in detail. Here are a few. 

1. Coaches shall behave in such a way that they shall bring credit to their profession and themselves. Not trying to tilt the balance of play

2. Coaches shall exhibit professionalism in their actions, words coach what you have and hope for the best. Everyone gets a kid now and then but not every year and multiple players

3. Coaches shall act in full accordance with institutional, school district and state governing body rules. The KHSAA bylaws have a standard and they are not being followed.

4. Coaches shall immediately report any violation of school district and state governing body rules regardless of how minor they believe the violation to be. Only when caught is it a problem. 

Transferring isn't the problem.  Recruiting in the nature heard on the tape, that is the problem.  If someone shows interest in moving to a school through different channels, plays with a student-athlete from that school at the Y (and becomes friends), parent is really good friends with another parent, or legitimately moves, etc.  Those are hitting the grey areas or maybe even just crossing the line warranting a minor punishment of suspension.  What I heard was indisputably worse than that.  My opinion is the punishment should be far worse than that.
With 4 days left until the start of practice, it’s pretty apparent nothing’s going to be done. All that came out of this is the coach looks like an idiot, the dad looks like an idiot, they gave the student sections plenty of fodder for signs and chants, and they likely increased ticket sales and MyTownTV ad revenue when Ashland and Boyd play this season. Case closed.
(10-11-2022, 06:36 PM)SocratesKy Wrote:

Transferring isn't the problem.  Recruiting in the nature heard on the tape, that is the problem.  If someone shows interest in moving to a school through different channels, plays with a student-athlete from that school at the Y (and becomes friends), parent is really good friends with another parent, or legitimately moves, etc.  Those are hitting the grey areas or maybe even just crossing the line warranting a minor punishment of suspension.  What I heard was indisputably worse than that.  My opinion is the punishment should be far worse than that.
This is the line about 90 percent of the people don’t get in this thread. Legit transfer happens. No one has an issue. It’s a coach recruiting actively other coaches kids. Over your own players. That’s the problem. Ethically, morally, and disloyalty to Ashland kids. Right now I feel like all of Ashland is clinched up waiting to be smacked like in one of those slap contest with the Khsaa. It may never come, but if it does I feel it’s gonna be a knock out for the program. I’m surprised the paper hasn’t contacted Khsaa to follow up and see if there is a time frame.
(10-11-2022, 07:00 PM)16thregioner Wrote: With 4 days left until the start of practice, it’s pretty apparent nothing’s going to be done.  All that came out of this is the coach looks like an idiot, the dad looks like an idiot, they gave the student sections plenty of fodder for signs and chants, and they likely increased ticket sales and MyTownTV ad revenue when Ashland and Boyd play this season.  Case closed.

Ah yes, the crazy amount of money they're making at MyTownTV.  I appreciate what they do and I personally hope they make a killing on all the ad spots they sell regardless of what causes it, and with what they charge to stream a game (zero) the next thing you know they'll be mounting a hostile takeover of ESPN+.

On a serious note, I do understand where you're coming from and I do agree that the intensity of the rivalry will increase exponentially as game times approach and I also agree this will be must-see tv and standing room only at the games. I hope the rivalry is not defined by the poor decisions of adults who should know better (on both sides) and hopefully we make it through all this drama and get back to just playing ball. I do hope when the games happen both fan bases show some maturity and the atmosphere is intense but also "good family fun" as high school sports should be regardless of what the KHSAA does or doesn't do. You may be right, they may go with the punishment the school handed out...or....they may hit them hard right before practice begins. Who Knows?  No matter what happens kids are resilient, including Boyd County and Ashland basketball players, they'll move on. I just hope the adults do also....
[-] The following 1 user Likes i82much's post:
  • 16thregionballer
(10-12-2022, 12:32 AM)16thregionballer Wrote:

This is the line about 90 percent of the people don’t get in this thread. Legit transfer happens. No one has an issue. It’s a coach recruiting actively other coaches kids. Over your own players. That’s the problem. Ethically, morally, and disloyalty to Ashland kids. Right now I feel like all of Ashland is clinched up waiting to be smacked like in one of those slap contest with the Khsaa. It may never come, but if it does I feel it’s gonna be a knock out for the program. I’m surprised the paper hasn’t contacted Khsaa to follow up and see if there is a time frame.
Except that didn’t happen. Coach didn’t recruit anyone. The parent was recruiting Ashland. The dad was the caller, about an 8th grader who at the time could transfer anywhere without sitting out. Coach just explained about the Ashland program to the parent, a program I’m sure he is proud of. He did what I would have done when I coached. About any coach would talk to an 8th grade parent if they are showing interest in transferring. Heck, in Jefferson County coaches are seen at middle school games with clip boards and notes to watch the County and city’s best 8th graders. 
He makes a few jokes about a Russell kid that he discouraged from the idea of coming to Ashland and you guys go on and on as if he was being serious regretting that he did that, lol. 
Coach Mays does not recruit or cheat for players and that’s the bottom line. You fellows are allowing your hatred for Ashland to get the best of you.
(10-12-2022, 09:23 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:

Except that didn’t happen. Coach didn’t recruit anyone. The parent was recruiting Ashland. The dad was the caller, about an 8th grader who at the time could transfer anywhere without sitting out. Coach just explained about the Ashland program to the parent, a program I’m sure he is proud of. He did what I would have done when I coached. About any coach would talk to an 8th grade parent if they are showing interest in transferring. Heck, in Jefferson County coaches are seen at middle school games with clip boards and notes to watch the County and city’s best 8th graders. 
He makes a few jokes about a Russell kid that he discouraged from the idea of coming to Ashland and you guys go on and on as if he was being serious regretting that he did that, lol. 
Coach Mays does not recruit or cheat for players and that’s the bottom line. You fellows are allowing your hatred for Ashland to get the best of you.
LOOKAYANNER?  It is obvious you have never listened 2 minutes of the 50 minute audio.  He did ask a dad to bring his kid to Ashland. FACT-Audio backs this.  If you coached at any level and attended any KHSAA training that is required for coaches in any sport.  If it is said once it is said a thousand times you cannot recruit. For debate sake.  Let's say that is all he did (which it isn't-Audio backed facts) You are told to direct the phone call to the Principal or AD by rule.  The amount of rules broken in that phone call is numerous. As far as the Russell kid.  He openly admits he wish he would have went harder after him.  That he wouldn't make that same mistake with the 8th grader.  FACT-Audio backed.  I don't know if you have actually listened to the right audio? I know this.  It sure wasn't the May's recruiting pitch to a dad, or how to circumvent the system by recruiting 8th graders, or recruiting the kids he actually has right now on our rosters.  Coach actually tell on his other coach for HANDLING the recruitment of another kid from BOYD CO. A 5th year Senior, who his assistant facilitated. FACT-Audio.  If you don't believe what you read on this thread.  Just pull up the paper in Ashland, Huntington, and Lexington.....Even Yahool news...has his quotes taken straight from his mouth.  I don't know how much plainer it could actually be-FACTS- Audio...If anyone takes personal opinion out of the equation and listen to the Audio-facts.  I don't get how come to this conclusion of he was just kidding or jokes...I don't know in my time that the KHSAA has any more damaging evidence on any school in the state of ky.   Does anyone else know that answer?
One thing is for sure…the Boyd County Big Baller Little Lavar is sure to be mightily upset when Coach Jason Mays puts on his whistle this Saturday and readies himself for some professionally produced practice videos of day 1 of season 5.
(10-12-2022, 02:20 PM)16thregioner Wrote: One thing is for sure…the Boyd County Big Baller Little Lavar is sure to be mightily upset when Coach Jason Mays puts on his whistle this Saturday and readies himself for some professionally produced practice videos of day 1 of season 5.
If that does happen. All but maybe two parents here at Ashland are happy.  The transfer parents (Boyd Co 5th year Senior and Greenup County, 3rd year Sophmore.   or the Bath Co. Sophmore/Junior) The homegrowns have to put up with more recruitment until our kids graduates or Mays gets a small college job he has been promoting himself for. The Ashland people who have skin in the game.  Meaning kids raised here.  Don't want it.
If a coach is unwilling to follow the rules against recruiting at the high school level, he is not likely to follow the rules regarding recruiting at the collegiate level. A cheater who is rewarded for his behavior will take cheating to another level until he is penalized for his disregard for the rules.

This is the most inaccurate post in the history of posting posts in forums.  I would try actually listening to the recording so you would sound like a rational poster.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SocratesKy's post:
  • Hoot Gibson

Sorry but you sound misinformed. There's an actual recording of the conversation. You should probably check that out.

(10-11-2022, 07:00 PM)16thregioner Wrote: With 4 days left until the start of practice, it’s pretty apparent nothing’s going to be done.  All that came out of this is the coach looks like an idiot, the dad looks like an idiot, they gave the student sections plenty of fodder for signs and chants, and they likely increased ticket sales and MyTownTV ad revenue when Ashland and Boyd play this season.  Case closed.

Welcome to the KHSAA, where talk is tough and action is a joke.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jamesclay's post:
  • 16thregionballer
  •  Previous
  • 15(current)
  • Next