Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early predictions for 2022-23 14th region
Perry Central loses several key players to graduation and will still be good but maybe not good enough to win the region. My guess is next season Breathitt County should be in good shape to win their first regional title in 27 years. They have a solid core of talent returning, a year older and wiser and should know what it will take to get over the hump and win the championship. They have all starters returning except Turner and he will be replaced by Combs, who has a lot of experience from last season as a sub. 
Wolfe County loses the Tolson’s. They do have some good young talent moving up from their Middle School and JV but I don’t think the Wolves can handle the experience of Breathitt. 
Cordia loses Naz Welch and a couple more players but there’s no way to know who will be on their roster from season to season. My guess talented guard Greg Brooks will have additional help when the season begins. 
Knott Central fought injuries and youth last year and is in a rebuilding mode at the time. Losing Shepherd to graduation is a big loss. Hazard had terrible misfortune of Ford being lost for last half of the season. They were young and played admirable the rest of the season. As long as the Bulldogs have Al Holland as coach they are a factor.
Letcher Central had a losing season last year and have all but 2 of their players back to build on. Leslie County had a rough season, winning only 3 games. They will have a new coach next season. 
Buckhorn had a losing season but have most of their players returning. 
In the 56th I don’t think any teams are capable of knocking off Breathitt in region play. Estill made it to the regional championship game last season but lose two key components of that team in Isfort and Beeler. They still should have enough firepower to win the 56th and maybe be a semifinalist in the regional tournament. Lee
County was 14-14 last season and lose only one starter. They return high scoring guard Zach Watterson. Powell County returns most their players but lose an important one in 6’5 Chandler Congleton. Owsley County was 6-23 last year and lose their leading scorer in Xander Terry, who average 21 ppg. 
Jackson City won 4 games last year but were young. They return all but one player. 

So my guess is Breathitt County should be a clear number 1 choice for ‘22-23. However, transfers and other factors will play a part in rankings as December 2022 approaches.
(03-26-2022, 10:31 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: Perry Central loses several key players to graduation and will still be good but maybe not good enough to win the region. My guess is next season Breathitt County should be in good shape to win their first regional title in 27 years. They have a solid core of talent returning, a year older and wiser and should know what it will take to get over the hump and win the championship. They have all starters returning except Turner and he will be replaced by Combs, who has a lot of experience from last season as a sub. 
Wolfe County loses the Tolson’s. They do have some good young talent moving up from their Middle School and JV but I don’t think the Wolves can handle the experience of Breathitt. 
Cordia loses Naz Welch and a couple more players but there’s no way to know who will be on their roster from season to season. My guess talented guard Greg Brooks will have additional help when the season begins. 
Knott Central fought injuries and youth last year and is in a rebuilding mode at the time. Losing Shepherd to graduation is a big loss. Hazard had terrible misfortune of Ford being lost for last half of the season. They were young and played admirable the rest of the season. As long as the Bulldogs have Al Holland as coach they are a factor.
Letcher Central had a losing season last year and have all but 2 of their players back to build on. Leslie County had a rough season, winning only 3 games. They will have a new coach next season. 
Buckhorn had a losing season but have most of their players returning. 
In the 56th I don’t think any teams are capable of knocking off Breathitt in region play. Estill made it to the regional championship game last season but lose two key components of that team in Isfort and Beeler. They still should have enough firepower to win the 56th and maybe be a semifinalist in the regional tournament. Lee
County was 14-14 last season and lose only one starter. They return high scoring guard Zach Watterson. Powell County returns most their players but lose an important one in 6’5 Chandler Congleton. Owsley County was 6-23 last year and lose their leading scorer in Xander Terry, who average 21 ppg. 
Jackson City won 4 games last year but were young. They return all but one player. 

So my guess is Breathitt County should be a clear number 1 choice for ‘22-23. However, transfers and other factors will play a part in rankings as December 2022 approaches.
I agree, Breathitt should be clear cut #1, Noble has to win region next year! Perry will be in best position to challenge them, they return, Beverly, Knight, Day, and the added Slone from Knott, and also they have some nice young athletes, Cordia will return most their offense and roll reload I’m sure, Knott lost Sheppard, Mullins, and Slone, and rumors they may lose a couple more, Hazard will be down but they still have the Goat Coach Holland, so never count them out , don’t know a lot about the other schools, but I do believe it’s Breathitts to lose again..
I’m having complete deja vu…… is this for real haha
Hear that Drago Robinson from Cordia will be at Perry. You know he will get eligible. Also hearing the big kid from Knox is headed to Perry.
Breathitt won't win it next year.
The hype around overwhelming preseason favorites Breathitt that didn't materialize will have lasting reprocussions.
Those boys will end up where they think will help them the most and who can blame them. This was their year and Perry stole it. They just had something that they couldn't compete with. The stars just aligned for Perry this season.
I'm not saying Perry will win it but I will say whichever team benefits from whichever Breathitt transfer will win it.
Way too early prediction I know but if you know, you know.
Breathitt kids ain’t leaving Jtown. Won’t happen.
Perry repeats, I hear they will have another good recruiting class.
1. Breathitt
2. Perry
3. Estill
4. Hazard
5. Cordia
(03-26-2022, 03:48 PM)UHuck Fin Wrote: Breathitt won't win it next year.
The hype around overwhelming preseason favorites Breathitt that didn't materialize will have lasting reprocussions.
Those boys will end up where they think will help them the most and who can blame them. This was their year and Perry stole it. They just had something that they couldn't compete with. The stars just aligned for Perry this season.
I'm not saying Perry will win it but I will say whichever team benefits from whichever Breathitt transfer will win it.
Way too early prediction I know but if you know, you know.
Perry was the better team last year. Nobody mentioned it and I don't mean it as an excuse but Braxton O'hara going down in football with the ACL injury hurt the Bobcats. He was leading rebounder the year before, could handle the ball and get to the rim. Seems like Turner spent most games on the bench early in foul trouble and there was no one with his skills to come in. 
but, it's the same thing with Hazard and the kid they lost to injury. It happens.
(03-28-2022, 12:40 PM)BelieveInTheHorn Wrote: Perry repeats, I hear they will have another good recruiting class.
I know they recruited for football ? not sure about basketball though..
How long is the transfer portal open? I know last year most of the transfers had already enrolled in their new school. Or does it matter when?
Doesn’t matter when the transfer portal opens or closes down in Perry. They will find a way to get anybody eligible…even if it is illegal.
The portal will be key to seeing who take the 14th. If Perry adds the prep school kids they will be hard to beat as usual.
(04-21-2022, 09:43 AM)ballaboveall Wrote: The portal will be key to seeing who take the 14th. If Perry adds the prep school kids they will be hard to beat as usual.
Can you name the last time Perry got "Prep" kids? The last time I think is when Jaysean Page went to perry. I could be incorrect.
I'm going to go out on a limb and pick Perry Central or Knott Central.
Sad the biggest team in the Region can't even win with their own players.
It’s been since the Al Holland era since PCC has done so.
1. Perry
2. Hazard

3. Breathitt
4. Estill
5. Cordia
Perry
Hazard
Breathitt
Estill

Cordia (depending on returning players and transfers)

Who are the best NON transfer teams in the 14th? 
Anyone have rankings on that?
This is my top 3
1. Breathitt Co
2. Hazard
3. PCC