Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bell County VS Harlan IND controversy
The games between these two teams have been heated from the beginning to the end, with punches thrown by players, assistant coaches, and even fans in the most recent matchup. Both matchups have spanned violent from start to finish with rough play on the court and the inability by the regions referees to handle the situation. We all love tough hard fought games but for there to be multiple instances in one game of pure violence from fans, players, coaches, etc then the referees have failed in doing their job. Myself, as a fan, frankly cannot wait for the district where these teams are destined to meet once again for a round three battle on the court as these teams are amazing. I just hope that something is done to prevent a lack of officiating to where a scene like tuesday night occurs once again.
(02-03-2022, 04:49 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: The games between these two teams have been heated from the beginning to the end, with punches thrown by players, assistant coaches, and even fans in the most recent matchup. Both matchups have spanned violent from start to finish with rough play on the court and the inability by the regions referees to handle the situation. We all love tough hard fought games but for there to be multiple instances in one game of pure violence from fans, players, coaches, etc then the referees have failed in doing their job. Myself, as a fan, frankly cannot wait for the district where these teams are destined to meet once again for a round three battle on the court as these teams are amazing. I just hope that something is done to prevent a lack of officiating to where a scene like tuesday night occurs once again.

When was this game played?
(02-03-2022, 07:05 PM)WaterBoy15thregion Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 04:49 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: The games between these two teams have been heated from the beginning to the end, with punches thrown by players, assistant coaches, and even fans in the most recent matchup. Both matchups have spanned violent from start to finish with rough play on the court and the inability by the regions referees to handle the situation. We all love tough hard fought games but for there to be multiple instances in one game of pure violence from fans, players, coaches, etc then the referees have failed in doing their job. Myself, as a fan, frankly cannot wait for the district where these teams are destined to meet once again for a round three battle on the court as these teams are amazing. I just hope that something is done to prevent a lack of officiating to where a scene like tuesday night occurs once again.

When was this game played?
tuesday night
This game was something to see. Both teams are physical, yes, which I love. That being said, the lines were crossed Tuesday. The game should've been called the minute an adult came out of the stands, leading to other adults and fans coming on the floor. It was a recipe for disaster and luckily it ended with no one physically hurt. The actions and words of that night are inexcusable.
I’m not saying anyone is lying by any means, but I was as the game and didn’t see any actual punches thrown. The games have got out of hand though.
(02-03-2022, 10:12 PM)ArJay Wrote: I’m not saying anyone is lying by any means, but I was as the game and didn’t see any actual punches thrown.  The games have got out of hand though.
From what I could tell the Bell county fans were obnoxious and constantly crossing the line. It’s sad to see and unacceptable.
There were no punches thrown. Whoever said that obviously was not at the game and is probably just repeating what they heard someone else say. The game itself was hard fought and fun to watch but it never got out of hand that’s just not true. It was actually pretty tightly officiated. The game is on YouTube for any and all to watch. The whole blow up was caused by a fan coming down out of the stands and acting a fool. Not a player or coach. People who stir this sort of thing up with misinformation are one of the biggest parts of the problem.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrBasketball78's post:
  • Wildcats94
It all started with Harlan's refusal to shake hands after the first game and the comments by coach Akal to the media after. I've seen plenty of evidence of dirty play from Harlan, I know some stuff goes ways, but reality is there is one coach in this game that needs to step up and I'd imagine a lot would be better. After both games Bell stood ready to shake hands and walk off the floor and coach Akal told his players no. After this game two of his players started toward the handshake line when they were yelled back and told to go to the locker room.
From an outsider looking in who has watched both teams play and observed how both teams and coaches conduct themselves…The Harlan City coach is a MAJOR instigator in any conflict going on and his team and fans love altercation as well. They’ve all got that “us against the world” attitude which is fine to a certain extent but it seems as if it is always taken to an almost unacceptable level at times with the entire group. ??‍♂️
(02-04-2022, 12:38 AM)Wildcats94 Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 10:12 PM)ArJay Wrote: I’m not saying anyone is lying by any means, but I was as the game and didn’t see any actual punches thrown.  The games have got out of hand though.
From what I could tell the Bell county fans were obnoxious and constantly crossing the line. It’s sad to see and unacceptable.
From being at the game as a neutral spectator, i noticed a couple things from both sides. One particular fan in blue came out of the stands yelling at a referee for something a player had done. A harlan player enacted in the situation. Violence began then when both other fans and other players had to hold the two back from eachother, which is ridiculous. When i said punches were thrown i meant after this scenario. Soon after the two original instigators went after eachother, the entire harlan bench and some harlan students left the stands and went across the floor and was held back by the few “good hearted harlan” players that actually tried to subside the situation. When a person is grabbed and wrapped around the waist and is scratching to get free to go after a person, i consider that the intent to fight. And from what i seen during and on the video after the game, the harlan coaches need to get THEIR priorities straight because when players are holding coaches back from a stupid fan, you need to take a look in the mirror. Then there was a controversy during the handshake line between a harlan fan and bell county player that I personally do not know much of. Ridiculous all the way around and the only people that I believe handled this the right way was the Bell County Coaches and players along with a couple players on harlan. Every other adult in the building needs to check themselves.
(02-04-2022, 01:15 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote:
From being at the game as a neutral spectator, i noticed a couple things from both sides. One particular fan in blue came out of the stands yelling at a referee for something a player had done. A harlan player enacted in the situation. Violence began then when both other fans and other players had to hold the two back from eachother, which is ridiculous. When i said punches were thrown i meant after this scenario. Soon after the two original instigators went after eachother, the entire harlan bench and some harlan students left the stands and went across the floor and was held back by the few “good hearted harlan” players that actually tried to subside the situation. When a person is grabbed and wrapped around the waist and is scratching to get free to go after a person, i consider that the intent to fight. And from what i seen during and on the video after the game, the harlan coaches need to get THEIR priorities straight because when players are holding coaches back from a stupid fan, you need to take a look in the mirror. Then there was a controversy during the handshake line between a harlan fan and bell county player that I personally do not know much of. Ridiculous all the way around and the only people that I believe handled this the right way was the Bell County Coaches and players along with a couple players on harlan. Every other adult in the building needs to check themselves.

There wasn't a handshake because both games because Harlan kids have not been allowed to shake hands with them. A couple of them started to after the end of this game and they were ordered to turn around go straight to the dressing room. Which wouldn't bother me so much in this one but for the fact they refused to shake after the first game which wasn't nearly as "controversial". They just need to get priorities straight and work on how they deal with people.
I agree with several of the posts. There’s no excuse for a fan to come out of the stands, period! With that said, the Harlan Ind coach is a known instigator with the hand shaking, rough play, etc. He, himself has gone on to the floor several times after fans over the years. I’ve been told the administration is getting tired of it. I hope it’s true, because there’s no place for that in sports.
(02-04-2022, 01:59 PM)TheProfessor33 Wrote: I agree with several of the posts.  There’s no excuse for a fan to come out of the stands, period!  With that said, the Harlan Ind coach is a known instigator with the hand shaking, rough play, etc.  He, himself has gone on to the floor several times after fans over the years.  I’ve been told the administration is getting tired of it.  I hope it’s true, because there’s no place for that in sports.

(02-04-2022, 01:59 PM)TheProfessor33 Wrote: I agree with several of the posts.  There’s no excuse for a fan to come out of the stands, period!  With that said, the Harlan Ind coach is a known instigator with the hand shaking, rough play, etc.  He, himself has gone on to the floor several times after fans over the years.  I’ve been told the administration is getting tired of it.  I hope it’s true, because there’s no place for that in sports.
Playing  physical and playing dirty are to different things.Bell was trying to hurt Akal.Several plays were made on him that had nothing to do with basketball.You are always on here blasting Harlan City or Coach Akal.You must of wanted his job or know of somebody that you thought should of gotten it.?? Coach Akal had every right to go on the floor after a grown man was going after his kid.He’s a parent before anything else.CD Morton loves him so he will be the coach until he’s ready to go.
I’ve never blasted Akal. You can’t find where I’ve said anything negative about him. When have I blasted Harlan Ind? All I said, was that there’s no excuse for anyone coming out of the stands and there’s no excuse for coaches coming on the floor after fans either.
(02-04-2022, 03:46 PM)TheProfessor33 Wrote: I’ve never blasted Akal.  You can’t find where I’ve said anything negative about him.  When have I blasted Harlan Ind?  All I said, was that there’s no excuse for anyone coming out of the stands and there’s no excuse for coaches coming on the floor after fans either.
You have blasted his coaching in several older post before.And you didn’t put his son in the POY conversation which is crazy.You have a personal problem with Akal and the city.When did he go after a fan?
Show me the post. I’ve never said anything negative about him. And as far
As the POY conversation, everyone is entitled to their opinions. It’s ok to like one kids game over another. Looking at the thread about 13th region POY, I wasn’t the only one that didn’t have him in their top 5. You going to call them out too, lol?
(02-04-2022, 04:02 PM)TheProfessor33 Wrote: Show me the post.  I’ve never said anything negative about him.  And as far
As the POY conversation, everyone is entitled to their opinions.  It’s ok to like one kids game over another.  Looking at the thread about 13th region POY, I wasn’t the only one that didn’t have him in their top 5.  You going to call them out too, lol
You did trust me.The kid is top 5.A blind man could see that.You praise HC kids that YOU say avg this and that.But not a kid that avg 26,7,7? And he can guard.With a few D1 offers..Sounds personal to me..
I agreed with almost everything you said up until the end. “Every other adult in the building needs to check themselves” very biased comment. Must be a bell fan. These are children playing a game! you’re opinion is irrelevant and has no logic.
Again, show me the post. You are making that up completely. I don’t think I’ve ever even typed his name. So, I’m not going to “trust you”. You made it personal. Apparently, you can’t accept that everyone doesn’t share your opinion about a particular player. Check the thread you are talking about. You were the only one out of 5 or 6 posts that had him in their top 5, which is fine. But, stop making things up. You know I’ve never posted anything derogatory about Akal..ever! As far as HC kids “I praise”, I simply pointed out that HC is more than a one man show, which someone insinuated. That’s all that was. Why are you so hostile?

By the way, I think the Akal kid is a great
player. IMO he’s one of the better players in the region.
I am a Bell fan obviously. I have watched both games and they have been very physical on both sides. There is also a lot of extra stuff like hooking a player by the arm and flopping like he fouled you. That is on both sides. Hopefully if there is a 3rd game cool heads will prevail. Adults on both sides need to set better examples.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ArJay's post:
  • TheProfessor33
(02-04-2022, 04:22 PM)TheProfessor33 Wrote: Again, show me the post.  You are making that up completely.  I don’t think I’ve ever even typed his name.  So, I’m not going to “trust you”.  You made it personal.  Apparently, you can’t accept that everyone doesn’t share your opinion about a particular player.  Check the thread you are talking about.  You were the only one out of 5 or 6 posts that had him in their top 5, which is fine.  But, stop making things up.  You know I’ve never posted anything derogatory about Akal..ever!  As far as HC kids “I praise”, I simply pointed out that HC is more than a one man show, which someone insinuated.  That’s all that was.  Why are you so hostile?

By the way, I think the Akal kid is a great
player.  IMO he’s one of the better players in the region.
2 other kids avg double figures for the city.Akal just avg a lot more just like Noah and HC.So is HC a one man team?Akal is the best pg the whole county as had in the last 10yrs.Oh I’m not hostile.Just love a good sports debate.
[-] The following 1 user Likes momentoftruth's post:
  • Wildcats94
He’s a good player, I’m not sure about that though! And still waiting for you to show any post where I’ve blasted someone. Also, I’m not sure why you called me out for my opinion on the regions POY candidates when 5 or 6 of the posts also excluded him from the conversation.
(02-04-2022, 04:17 PM)Wildcats94 Wrote:
I agreed with almost everything you said up until the end. “Every other adult in the building needs to check themselves” very biased comment. Must be a bell fan. These are children playing a game! you’re opinion is irrelevant and has no logic.
Well i did say every other adult which is very bland and i’m sure not every adult in that gymnasium had malicious intent. All i’m saying is i sat in the gym and watched what could’ve been an all out free for all. Bell County players were very calm and collective and walked toward their bench and there was some harlan players with enough self respect to hold their teammates, coaches, and parents/fans back. Any one else involved in the situation that is considered an adult should check themselves. I consider that the harlan coaches, harlan fans that went onto the floor or yelled negative things at players, and bell fans that did the same. 

Also, kudos to the students on both sides who stayed back in all this. This had the ability to become a very bad incident and didn’t. On the video, I did see a few young individuals come from the harlan side and one had a backpack slinging it in violent manner. Other than that I think the students for both sides acted more responsibly than the parents.

Another thing in regards to the coaches. As a administrator and a person these kids look up to, when your own players have to hold you back from attacking another individual and hearing this has happened more than once, cmon man. Disgrace.
(02-04-2022, 04:14 PM)momentoftruth Wrote:
(02-04-2022, 04:02 PM)TheProfessor33 Wrote: Show me the post.  I’ve never said anything negative about him.  And as far
As the POY conversation, everyone is entitled to their opinions.  It’s ok to like one kids game over another.  Looking at the thread about 13th region POY, I wasn’t the only one that didn’t have him in their top 5.  You going to call them out too, lol
You did trust me.The kid is top 5.A blind man could see that.You praise HC kids that YOU say avg this and that.But not a kid that avg 26,7,7? And he can guard.With a few D1 offers..Sounds personal to me..

(02-04-2022, 05:30 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote:
(02-04-2022, 04:17 PM)Wildcats94 Wrote:
Well i did say every other adult which is very bland and i’m sure not every adult in that gymnasium had malicious intent. All i’m saying is i sat in the gym and watched what could’ve been an all out free for all. Bell County players were very calm and collective and walked toward their bench and there was some harlan players with enough self respect to hold their teammates, coaches, and parents/fans back. Any one else involved in the situation that is considered an adult should check themselves. I consider that the harlan coaches, harlan fans that went onto the floor or yelled negative things at players, and bell fans that did the same. 

Also, kudos to the students on both sides who stayed back in all this. This had the ability to become a very bad incident and didn’t. On the video, I did see a few young individuals come from the harlan side and one had a backpack slinging it in violent manner. Other than that I think the students for both sides acted more responsibly than the parents.

Another thing in regards to the coaches. As a administrator and a person these kids look up to, when your own players have to hold you back from attacking another individual and hearing this has happened more than once, cmon man. Disgrace.
I agree, coaches and administrators have to be held to a higher standard.  These guys are there to set an example.  If they aren’t setting a good example, they aren’t doing their job.
(02-04-2022, 03:57 PM)momentoftruth Wrote:
(02-04-2022, 03:46 PM)TheProfessor33 Wrote: I’ve never blasted Akal.  You can’t find where I’ve said anything negative about him.  When have I blasted Harlan Ind?  All I said, was that there’s no excuse for anyone coming out of the stands and there’s no excuse for coaches coming on the floor after fans either.
You have blasted his coaching in several older post before.And you didn’t put his son in the POY conversation which is crazy.You have a personal problem with Akal and the city.When did he go after a fan?

Harlan Co. at Harlan Ind. a couple of seasons ago, he went on the floor after a Harlan County fan. The refs called the game with time left on the clock midway through the 4th quarter. You don’t remember this?
Both sides had unruly fans. No excuse for what the Bell fan did or the Harlan fans grabbing 3 of our players in the attempted handshake. It was about leaders on the floor for each respective team. Bell’s leaders would never stoop to the level of not shaking hands after a win or a loss. (Which has happened twice with Harlan). Play the game hard and leave out the garbage. Proud of the way the Bell coaches and players handled themselves in a potentially bad situation. Other posters said it right when they said Harlan instigates most of what happens. It flows from the top down.
It is egregious akal doesn’t get more recognition for his stellar play. The kid is a flat out star and the best player to play for the city since Charles Thomas in the 90’s. I’ve yet to see anyone be able to guard him and definitely have him in my top five. He definitely deserves more respect plain and simple. Anyone who doesn’t agree with that either doesn’t know basketball or they are being biased.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Wildcats94's post:
  • momentoftruth
(02-04-2022, 09:29 PM)Wildcats94 Wrote: It is egregious akal doesn’t get more recognition for his stellar play. The kid is a flat out star and the best player to play for the city since Charles Thomas in the 90’s. I’ve yet to see anyone be able to guard him and definitely have him in my top five. He definitely deserves more respect plain and simple. Anyone who doesn’t agree with that either doesn’t know basketball or they are being biased.
The kid can play and is a beast, but if i’m not mistaken i’ve seen him contained sometimes. Partly because you can help defend him with 3 guys and not get burned by his teammates. If akal is on HC, he’s a region POY and it’s not close. He takes up all the defenders on the opposing team to stop his attacks at the rim and when he kicks it out to a wide open 3pt shooter, they hardly knock it down. If he had surrounding shooters like the role players on HC, he would be praised by the masses. He is for real.
(02-05-2022, 12:49 AM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote:
(02-04-2022, 09:29 PM)Wildcats94 Wrote: It is egregious akal doesn’t get more recognition for his stellar play. The kid is a flat out star and the best player to play for the city since Charles Thomas in the 90’s. I’ve yet to see anyone be able to guard him and definitely have him in my top five. He definitely deserves more respect plain and simple. Anyone who doesn’t agree with that either doesn’t know basketball or they are being biased.
The kid can play and is a beast, but if i’m not mistaken i’ve seen him contained sometimes. Partly because you can help defend him with 3 guys and not get burned by his teammates. If akal is on HC, he’s a region POY and it’s not close. He takes up all the defenders on the opposing team to stop his attacks at the rim and when he kicks it out to a wide open 3pt shooter, they hardly knock it down. If he had surrounding shooters like the role players on HC, he would be praised by the masses. He is for real.
I agree 100% Imagine akal on that HC team! They would almost definitely be favorites in the region. Or better yet if Noah had stayed at the city, maybe that would have been the best Harlan ind team ever. Ahh what if’s right? Lol
(02-04-2022, 09:39 AM)MrBasketball78 Wrote: There were no punches thrown.  Whoever said that obviously was not at the game and is probably just repeating what they heard someone else say.  The game itself was hard fought and fun to watch but it never got out of hand that’s just not true.  It was actually pretty tightly officiated.  The game is on YouTube for any and all to watch.  The whole blow up was caused by a fan coming down out of the stands and acting a fool.  Not a player or coach.  People who stir this sort of thing up with misinformation are one of the biggest parts of the problem.
You’re right- things get stirred up by people who don’t know the facts. I’ve watched this video and the bc fan never stepped on the court and went straight out the door where he was directed to go-  not resisting AT ALL. The Harlan TEAM AND COACHES were all trying to get at him and having to be held back.  I was told he went to check on the bc kid who had just slid in to the bleachers and had the Akal kid standing directly over him taunting him. Refs should’ve never allowed that. Bc kid gets up and goes the opposite direction, obviously was ok. Meanwhile HC players are going crazy trying to get at the bc guy. He is LEAVING!   Just watch the videos- it’s all there!