Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Open Job: Johnson Central
(12-09-2021, 08:50 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I’d imagine this job will draw interest from coaches not only from Kentucky, but also surrounding states.

Dudley! Dudley! Dudley!
(12-09-2021, 02:53 PM)pjdoug Wrote: Matney built a great football and wrestling program, but won't the style of play have to be adjusted just a little with a new coach? Didn't the offense need tweaked in the championship game?
The adjustment will be the reunion of Mason Lawson with his teammates next season. You might be suggesting that Boyle County make some adjustments if Cole Lanter had not been available for the final game. Lawson was as important to Johnson Central's offense and defense as Lanter was to Boyle County's. Time will tell if Johnson Central's improvement in its running backs will offset the loss of Grant Bingham, Grant Rice, and the other JC seniors.
(12-09-2021, 03:34 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
(12-09-2021, 02:53 PM)pjdoug Wrote: Matney built a great football and wrestling program, but won't the style of play have to be adjusted just a little with a new coach? Didn't the offense need tweaked in the championship game?
The adjustment will be the reunion of Mason Lawson with his teammates next season. You might be suggesting that Boyle County make some adjustments if Cole Lanter had not been available for the final game. Lawson was as important to Johnson Central's offense and defense as Lanter was to Boyle County's. Time will tell if Johnson Central's improvement in its running backs will offset the loss of Grant Bingham, Grant Rice, and the other JC seniors.
McCoart>>>>>Lawson. Lawson would’ve been a huge help on defense and may have changed the game but going Forward it’s very hard to believe McCoart wouldn’t be the #1 back. QB play will be excellent and not miss a beat next year Jacob Grimm will be a veteran Qb and if he doesn’t step into the roll well a young Dalton Matney will be the man. Offensive line won’t be the same for obvious reasons but there’s a whole unit reload that won’t disappoint Dylan Boner will return and be the leader. Don’t see anywhere on the field we lost someone that’ll cripple us next year may not be as great but just a typical JC reload.
The belly offense, the way Matney ran it, will be very difficult or impossible to duplicate… even if you hire from within.
Make no mistake, the assistants did a wonderful job, but Matney had a feel for the offense, play calling, formations that he took with him.
It’s a tough call.
(12-09-2021, 04:37 PM)Gold River Wrote:
McCoart>>>>>Lawson. Lawson would’ve been a huge help on defense and may have changed the game but going Forward it’s very hard to believe McCoart wouldn’t be the #1 back. QB play will be excellent and not miss a beat next year Jacob Grimm will be a veteran Qb and if he doesn’t step into the roll well a young Dalton Matney will be the man. Offensive line won’t be the same for obvious reasons but there’s a whole unit reload that won’t disappoint Dylan Boner will return and be the leader. Don’t see anywhere on the field we lost someone that’ll cripple us next year may not be as great but just a typical JC reload.
No, McCoart is not >>>>>Lawson. Lawson was the top returning running back this season and averaged 145 yards in the first two games with both of them in the lineup. McCoart will have a great career at Johnson Central and it is even possible that he will eclipse Lawson at some point next season, depending on how Lawson' rehab goes - but Lawson is a difference maker on both sides of the line. It doesn't really matter which one of them piles up more yards next season, as both will be in the lineup and I will not be surprised if the two of them combine for over 3,000 rushing yards next season if both are healthy.
I think we should not focus on the offensive and defensive schemes and focus more on what, IMO, made Matney a Hall of Fame coach. His ability to motivate and lead kids to levels they never dreamed possible is what built the JC program. Sure Xs and Os matter but I’ll take a master motivator over a great schemer any day if the week.

If that’s an internal hire, great. If that’s an external hire, great. Just hire the right person and let them make it their program going forward without ever forgetting how they got here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 2000PHS's post:
  • Bossdaddy 4115
(12-09-2021, 10:18 PM)2000PHS Wrote: I think we should not focus on the offensive and defensive schemes and focus more on what, IMO, made Matney a Hall of Fame coach. His ability to motivate and lead kids to levels they never dreamed possible is what built the JC program. Sure Xs and Os matter but I’ll take a master motivator over a great schemer any day if the week.

If that’s an internal hire, great. If that’s an external hire, great. Just hire the right person and let them make it their program going forward without ever forgetting how they got here.

You are EXACTLY right, don’t leave out talent. Fired up coach will have a fired up team that will run through block walls for him.

You could be right, and I'm just asking questions. The offense will hard to duplicate and keep things rolling with a different coach, and there's more than one way to skin a cat.
Hearing the job will ultimately go to someone within the program.   Also heard the administration reached out to a very prominent coach in the state...but he passed.
(12-10-2021, 10:25 AM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote: Hearing the job will ultimately go to someone within the program.   Also heard the administration reached out to a very prominent coach in the state...but he passed.
On staff, the only 2 names that come to mind that may be ready to step into the head coach role would be Justin Arms and Peck. I heard a name too that turned down the position who has won more than one state championship in his career. Not sure if that is who you heard but JC is a job many coaches would love to have.
(12-10-2021, 10:57 AM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(12-10-2021, 10:25 AM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote: Hearing the job will ultimately go to someone within the program.   Also heard the administration reached out to a very prominent coach in the state...but he passed.
On staff, the only 2 names that come to mind that may be ready to step into the head coach role would be Justin Arms and Peck. I heard a name too that turned down the position who has won more than one state championship in his career. Not sure if that is who you heard but JC is a job many coaches would love to have.
Arms isn’t gonna give up his principal job I heard they already told him this year it’s one or the other that’s why he didn’t take interm job. I think it’s stupid if they just hire from within after a coach turns it down.
If I'm Johnson Central, I'm throwing the kitchen sink at Mike Holcomb. I don't think he would leave Madison Central, but he is a proven winner and he runs an attractive style of offense. Some may argue that he is too old, but he has a lot left in his tank and has proven so by taking Madison Central to the state semifinals in his first year. Like I said, I don't know if he would be interested, but it's worth a shot.
Was it Corbins OC that passed?
Smile
(12-10-2021, 02:22 PM)Playcaller66 Wrote:
Was it Corbins OC that passed?
Sure give him a shirt and whistle make him an assistant, prob be worth it to have little Elam. Kids a baller.
Yes, he is a good one! I think he will have the playbook opened up for him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • Gold River
You heard wrong.
(12-10-2021, 05:28 PM)Elliot Stabler Wrote:
You heard wrong.
Which part?
Also heard it would be a brand new hire. Possibly even out of state.
You heard wrong.
I don’t think so.   Well placed source.  Hearing now that JC is making another run at him.   Gonna get interesting.
Never be the man that follows the “man”.
Ah, the always popular "heard" it's right up there with "They say" around these parts. Whoever these mysterious candidates may be, whoever does take over has some big shoes to fill and quite a legacy to follow and also maintain.
Way I see it all the assistants eligible for the job are young I believe all under 40, they are life longers meaning if they got the job and do a mediocre or just terrible job it’s becomes political and they are in there for next 30 years. I think a few of the assistants could do a great job but that’s a lot of pressure, expectations aren’t gonna come down.
(12-10-2021, 03:15 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: Yes, he is a good one! I think he will have the playbook opened up for him.

Where at? lol
[-] The following 2 users Like pjdoug's post:
  • BEChargers, Bull got out!
(12-10-2021, 11:15 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:
You heard wrong.
I don’t think so.   Well placed source.  Hearing now that JC is making another run at him.   Gonna get interesting.

Yeah, I think so. I talk to their principal 2-3 times a day, have only known him for about 37 years, used to be college roommates and shared a womb with him for about 8 months. If he says that the job hasn’t been offered, applications are being taken and the first interview hasn’t taken place, I trust that better than any supposed source you may have. All hires go across his desk not this message board.
[-] The following 2 users Like Elliot Stabler's post:
  • ekywildcat, Hoot Gibson
(12-11-2021, 04:50 PM)Elliot Stabler Wrote:
You heard wrong.

Yeah, I think so. I talk to their principal 2-3 times a day, have only known him for about 37 years, used to be college roommates and shared a womb with him for about 8 months. If he says that the job hasn’t been offered, applications are being taken and the first interview hasn’t taken place, I trust that better than any supposed source you may have. All hires go across his desk not this message board.
Wombmates or roommates???? 8 months??are you guys premature….it shows you guys are really small in the ARMS.. go Tigers!! Rawr
(12-11-2021, 05:09 PM)Blue dawg Wrote:
You heard wrong.

Wombmates or roommates???? 8 months??are you guys premature….it shows you guys are really small in the ARMS.. go Tigers!! Rawr
Hey.....I happy for y’all.   I really am.  I’m not on here to argue with you or anyone else.   I’m passing along some base information that I know is accurate.  Whether or not the candidate ultimately accepts or declines I have no idea.  But...I’m confident in the info I’ve heard.

(12-10-2021, 10:57 AM)pirateforlife Wrote:
Hmmmm........
Anybody can submit an application for the Johnson Central head football coach position and anybody can contact any coach in the country and urge them to apply for the job. If the principal of Johnson Central says that the position has not been offered to anybody and that no hiring decision has been made, then I take him at his word - no matter how well-placed anybody else believes their source to be. 

I doubt that anybody will be hired without Justin Arms' support and nobody is in a better position to evaluate the needs of Johnson Central's football program than Justin is. I will support whatever decision the district makes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • ekywildcat
You heard wrong.

Are you Ken's brother?
Who is Ken????