Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Open Job: Johnson Central
Will the trend continue? Run, Run, and Run. I thought it would be fitting while the decision is being made to look at some of the rich history of Johnson Central football. I wish nothing but the best to Johnson Central. Will Johnson Central become a passing team under a new coach? Will Johnson Central keep the Belly offense. Time will tell. One thing for sure, they have some athletes that know how to play football. Good luck in finding your next Head Coach!

Thanks Gold River, Remembering J J Jude. Enjoy. 

[-] The following 2 users Like Bull got out!'s post:
  • Diogenes, Gold River
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes FootballFan1999's post:
  • Westside
There are about three or four guys on the staff that can take over the program and it would be in excellent hands.

I have no idea who gets the job.... I have no idea who will apply..... no matter if it's somebody from outside the program or inside the program..... Johnson Central football will always be Jim Matney's team.

Every school system needs people like Steve Trimble.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pulp Fiction's post:
  • Diogenes
It’s going to be interesting to see how they run this head coaching search. Johnson Central has been lucky to have three great coaches in the three major sports. JC hasn’t had to worry about coaching searches because Jim Matney, Tommy McKenzie, and Shawn Hall have been so successful for the past fifteen years. This is going to be one of the most consequential hires in school history and who ever it is will have a massive task in stepping into Jim Matney’s shoes.
I hope they hire someone that can continue the success. I’m not close to the program so I have no idea if this will be an inside or outside hire.
(12-07-2021, 12:46 PM)Mister D Wrote: It’s going to be interesting to see how they run this head coaching search. Johnson Central has been lucky to have three great coaches in the three major sports. JC hasn’t had to worry about coaching searches because Jim Matney, Tommy McKenzie, and Shawn Hall have been so successful for the past fifteen years. This is going to be one of the most consequential hires in school history and who ever it is will have a massive task in stepping into Jim Matney’s shoes.
2 of the 3 are in house hires and it took 40 plus years to hire a successful coach after bad hire after bad hire in all 3 sports. No one can ever fill Matneys shoes but Johnson Central can’t become political and not make a great hire just to keep things in house.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gold River's post:
  • Granny Bear
(12-07-2021, 03:00 PM)Gold River Wrote:
(12-07-2021, 12:46 PM)Mister D Wrote: It’s going to be interesting to see how they run this head coaching search. Johnson Central has been lucky to have three great coaches in the three major sports. JC hasn’t had to worry about coaching searches because Jim Matney, Tommy McKenzie, and Shawn Hall have been so successful for the past fifteen years. This is going to be one of the most consequential hires in school history and who ever it is will have a massive task in stepping into Jim Matney’s shoes.
2 of the 3 are in house hires and it took 40 plus years to hire a successful coach after bad hire after bad hire in all 3 sports. No one can ever fill Matneys shoes but Johnson Central can’t become political and not make a great hire just to keep things in house.
Bill Musick was a successful coach. Others, including Matney, may have been able to bring the program further faster but Coach Music was very involved in elevating the quality of Johnson Central's feeder system and people should not forget that he was the first coach that managed not to resign or be fired after a short tenure because of politics. Nobody before Musick was around long enough to do any program building.
Any rumors of hiring a big name from outside the program?
This will be exciting to see…could be some quality applicants as well as quality guys in house?
Would like to see Larry, Moe, and Curly ... err,  I mean Tommy,  Wayne, and Bart land that gig.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Bossdaddy 4115
(12-08-2021, 12:34 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: Would like to see Larry, Moe, and Curly ... err,  I mean Tommy,  Wayne, and Bart land that gig.
I’m confident we would bring up some of the flag football coaches before making that hire….Knox is looking though  Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Gold River's post:
  • Bossdaddy 4115, Bull got out!
Biggest issue JC will have is realizing its not Matney.... hiring from within will really be a bad move in my opinion due to this fact.. a Within hire will have trouble making it his own....
(12-08-2021, 11:57 AM)FCSPY Wrote: Biggest issue JC will have is realizing its not Matney.... hiring from within will really be a bad move in my opinion due to this fact.. a Within hire will have trouble making it his own....
Good point.
This is going to be an Interesting opening, The Legacy of Jim will live on forever but what might shoes to jump into.
His legacy should always be honored, any smart coach will find ways to honor him and continue his legacy.. but it has to be your program..... and its not gonna be easy doing things different in anyway... let alone if your hire from within.
(12-08-2021, 12:34 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: Would like to see Larry, Moe, and Curly ... err,  I mean Tommy,  Wayne, and Bart land that gig.

LOL!
(12-08-2021, 12:37 AM)Gold River Wrote:
I’m confident we would bring up some of the flag football coaches before making that hire….Knox is looking though  Smile
Knox already knows who they are hiring.
is it safe to say that Johnson Central offense will be at least slightly different?
[-] The following 1 user Likes pjdoug's post:
  • Gold River
Would Mike Holcomb consider taking this job? His system is very different from Johnson Central’s ground and pound, but he knows how to win and lead. What he did at Madison Central this year was really impressive. Getting over the hump and winning in 6A though is a really tough task with the Louisville schools being so dominant. I don’t see how any insider can be successful following Matney. They done a great job as a staff to make the run they did but the emotion of this season will be gone next year and everything will change.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Reds#1Fan's post:
  • Gold River
(12-09-2021, 01:46 AM)Reds#1Fan Wrote: Would Mike Holcomb consider taking this job? His system is very different from Johnson Central’s ground and pound, but he knows how to win and lead. What he did at Madison Central this year was really impressive. Getting over the hump and winning in 6A though is a really tough task with the Louisville schools being so dominant. I don’t see how any insider can be successful following Matney. They done a great job as a staff to make the run they did but the emotion of this season will be gone next year and everything will change.
He would be a good one, I hope they just hire a good coach and don’t worry about his play style. Any good Coach that comes to JC will be run heavy because we are power football but it wouldn’t hurt to modernize it a little. Like I said before nobody’s gonna be Matney that was his offense, he perfected it. I’d at-least make a hire before Christmas and not drag around on it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gold River's post:
  • pjdoug
I’d imagine this job will draw interest from coaches not only from Kentucky, but also surrounding states.
I would think so too.
IMO, it would be a very bad idea not to hire from within Johnson Central's staff. A staff that has been a big part of 6 recent 4A state finals appearances should not be disrespected by being passed over for promotions. In the past, not hiring from outside the system was a mistake because politics played too big of a role in Johnson Central sports but everybody familiar with the history of Johnson Central's football program with any sense at all knows how difficult it is to build and maintain a successful program. 

Anybody who is advocating hiring a new head coach from outside the JC program should try to place themselves in the shoes of a key staff member. How would you feel seeing the current system scrapped by hiring a new head coach who has not been a part of the two-state championships and four runners-up seasons that you helped the team to achieve? If your many years of hard work as a poorly paid assistant football coach and the hard work of your fellow staff members means nothing to the district, then how motivated would you be to maintain that same level of effort and serve on the new coach's staff? I would be polishing up my resume if I ever wanted to become a head coach. If I had no desire to be a head coach at another school, I would strongly consider focusing on my teaching career and spending more time with my family instead of working the extra hours as an assistant coach.

Johnson Central has what may be the best stable of running backs in the state returning next season. It also has one of the top offensive line coaches in the state. Next season is not the time to demoralize the staff by not hiring one of their own and giving them a shot at winning a state title in their first year as a head coach.
[-] The following 3 users Like Hoot Gibson's post:
  • ekywildcat, Pulp Fiction, Redneck
In my opinion to hire someone who would change the offense would be a bad idea. Maybe a slow transition and small tweaks but these kids have been taught the belly offense since before putting padskn. For someone to come in and completely change the whole philosophy would be a disservice to the talent that is currently there that has to be considered one of the favorites for a state title next season. Learning a new offense takes time.
I do agree there are people already in position that could carry on what they are doing BUT there is a great coach out there that would fit PERFECT in that position. Tim Champlin would be a homerun hire at JC. He loves the run game and could take over that position and never miss a beat. Hes young and could bring years of success to JC. Also just named 3A coach of the year.
Think about the kids as well. These kids LOVE and RESPECT their current coaching staff. After what they went through this season, it did nothing but bring them even closer. They would be fools to break that up. Matney will live on forever through the kids and that staff. He will never be forgotten.
Jc has to fill the wrestling position as well. Not only was Coach Matney a great football coach but he was a great wrestling coach too. Are they trying to get someone who can do both like Jim? Their success in football has had a lot to do with how successful their wrestling program has been. I'm sure that will factor into their decision.
They dont have to even post it if they Hire Within... should be quick if that is the plan.
Matney built a great football and wrestling program, but won't the style of play have to be adjusted just a little with a new coach? Didn't the offense need tweaked in the championship game?