Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
New rule.
New rule:

Did anyone notice that in 50% of the finals, the MVP was a super senior? 2A, 3A, 4A? You can say what you want about the rule (I know my own thoughts), you can't deny the impact this year.
Well of course it was going to have an impact. College freshman vs HS senior is a big difference. I gained about 20 pounds of muscle my freshman year of college; would have been a beast if I could have played another year of HS football. This rule; just like most of the COVID mandates, made no sense whatsoever. BUT- it was fair across the board; any kid or team could have used it. So, IMHO- teams shouldn’t complain about it or use it as an excuse for losing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ROTC's post:
  • Diogenes
The biggest disadvantage that concerned me was for the freshman who were playing. There was 14 yr olds on the field with 19 year olds pushing 20. 5 years difference in adolescences is critical with development and growth. I don’t think that rule was well thought out in terms of age difference.
[-] The following 2 users Like Cards98's post:
  • Sportsdadof2, wolfcat
Of course not; BUT, as a general rule of thumb, freshman and most sophomores don’t belong on the field on Friday night. Some coaches even game plan to attack/exploit them, due to the physical and experiential differentiation.
I guess in the same regard 19 year olds don’t belong on the field on Friday night because of the same difference and how you just explained it. And you are right. I saw that exploitation. I saw teams make adjustments to put their toughest against the youngest and weakest. That’s football! Overall, I guess if a freshman survived it he had one hell of an experience and will grow from it.

Btw I don’t disagree with the rule. I’m glad any kid got to come back after their Covid season last year. I just saw the flaws in it as this season progressed.
Capitalism- right? Those who take advantage of opportunities prosper. Those who don’t……
(12-05-2021, 07:49 AM)ROTC Wrote: Of course not; BUT, as a general rule of thumb, freshman and most sophomores don’t belong on the field on Friday night.  Some coaches even game plan to attack/exploit them, due to the physical and experiential differentiation.
JCs leading rusher Zack McCoart with 1200+ yards is a Freshman.
I loved the rule. Every kid that took advantage of it may be called a super senior, but in fact they had a birthday that kept them within the rules that has always been in place. Not every parent is thinking about there child playing a sport when they have children. Fast forward to the high school years and they begin to compete. They then find out that most teams have hold backs or what everyone is referring to a kid that turns 19 but elgible because of a birthday. Most these kids sure do it in grade school, middles school, when they could if the rule allows (rules are always changing) Then 2021 a NEW RULE that enables a kid within the age requirement to compete for another year in high school. So when I saw this new rule, I talked to tons of parents and didn't run into a single person who said anything against it. All told me it was a no brainer. I already said the same thing. No brainer. I know some will point out well a freshman vs a 19 year old. Can that same person find that happening in every year that KHSAA has had sports? (YES) What makes this year any different? No kid who came back broke a rule. They only took advantage of it. I will point out as well, I know teams that I have saw win titles that had tons of 19 year olds or double hold backs but you will never hear those teams say a word against it LOL. But when they lose, you better believe they will cry a river......
[-] The following 3 users Like Bull got out!'s post:
  • Candyman21, Rebel55, ROTC
Preach it BULL! I agree 100%.

(12-05-2021, 10:22 AM)Gold River Wrote:
(12-05-2021, 07:49 AM)ROTC Wrote: Of course not; BUT, as a general rule of thumb, freshman and most sophomores don’t belong on the field on Friday night.  Some coaches even game plan to attack/exploit them, due to the physical and experiential differentiation.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ROTC's post:
  • Bull got out!
The super senior rule isn't as bad as the double hold backs that are occuring at many schools across the state. Holding a kid back so he can simply play high school football is crazy. Sure that kid is going to be better because when you are that age a year of development is huge. Whether it be mentally or physical it is a huge advantage to be in a successful system learning the culture and developing in the weight room an extra year. Lots of 19 year olds walking around the halls. To me this needs to be stopped as well because the parents who don't want to hold their kid back a year because there is more to life than Friday night glory are at a huge disadvantage.
[-] The following 1 user Likes wolfcat's post:
  • Diogenes
He is an EXCEPTION. I said “as a general rule”. BUT- and I have no idea if I’m right or not, but I would bet that kid was either held back in elementary school or started school at six. Doubt very seriously he is a typical 14 year old freshman; but he could be- IDK.

Point either way was/is in most cases if you’re consistently depending on underclassmen; you’re not contending for titles.

Holding a BOY back is the GREATEST GIFT a parent can give him. Especially, in this modern world of ease, video games, and over reliance on technology….MOST boys just aren’t mature enough to leave home at 17 or as a “just turned” 18 year old. Of course HS sports are just part of “the gift”; but what is bad about letting a kid- be a kid for one more year?
(12-05-2021, 07:30 AM)ROTC Wrote: Well of course it was going to have an impact.  College freshman vs HS senior is a big difference.  I gained about 20 pounds of muscle my freshman year of college; would have been a beast if I could have played another year of HS football.  This rule; just like most of the COVID mandates, made no sense whatsoever.  BUT- it was fair across the board; any kid or team could have used it.  So, IMHO- teams shouldn’t complain about it or use it as an excuse for losing.
I’m hearing KHSSA might be gonna do another covid reclassify after Christmas. Anyone else hearing this?
The only school without a super senior was South Warren and they won so................
(12-05-2021, 12:56 PM)Iam4thecats Wrote: The only school without a super senior was South Warren and they won so................

They had super senior coaches.  Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • Diogenes
(12-05-2021, 07:30 AM)ROTC Wrote: Well of course it was going to have an impact.  College freshman vs HS senior is a big difference.  I gained about 20 pounds of muscle my freshman year of college; would have been a beast if I could have played another year of HS football.  This rule; just like most of the COVID mandates, made no sense whatsoever.  BUT- it was fair across the board; any kid or team could have used it.  So, IMHO- teams shouldn’t complain about it or use it as an excuse for losing.
Agree about COVID bone head rules. Not all schools had this option. In northern Ky the Catholic dioceses said no to this rule. Not sure about other parts of the state. Definitely an advantage for schools who had those 5th year guys. And will be an advantage for years to come for some schools. How many kids are redoing Junior, Sophomore and freshman years?
How old will he be his Senior year on August 1? No one talking about that.
(12-05-2021, 03:15 AM)Diogenes Wrote: New rule:

Did anyone notice that in 50% of the finals, the MVP was a super senior? 2A, 3A, 4A? You can say what you want about the rule (I know my own thoughts), you can't deny the impact this year.
Oh you done did it now. I got ripped on the Pikeville/Russellville thread when I brought up Russellville’s 6-7 super seniors. I remember back when the KHSAA approved this rule and half this site lost their shit lol. They said there would be a team win a title because of it. All I did was revisit that and some people got big time butt hurt over it  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
(12-05-2021, 11:34 AM)wolfcat Wrote: The super senior rule isn't as bad as the double hold backs that are occuring at many schools across the state. Holding a kid back so he can simply play high school football is crazy. Sure that kid is going to be better because when you are that age a year of development is huge. Whether it be mentally or physical it is a huge advantage to be in a successful system learning the culture and developing in the weight room an extra year. Lots of 19 year olds walking around the halls. To me this needs to be stopped as well because the parents who don't want to hold their kid back a year because there is more to life than Friday night glory are at a huge disadvantage.

I agree with you. we all know 19 year olds are way more mature and stronger than a 17 year old.
(12-05-2021, 12:56 PM)Iam4thecats Wrote: The only school without a super senior was South Warren and they won so................
Are you sure about that?
(12-05-2021, 02:24 PM)Playcaller66 Wrote:
I wasn’t defending the opposition I was saying that freshman can hang with 19 year olds they just gotta man up. im for the rule heck I wish every kid would get 5 years of high school. I have no ideal how old he is.
Imagine the freshman that repeated their freshman year what they will look like if they actually took the repeat year and took advantage of it. There’s a kid at Pikeville that is a RB for the JV team and returns kickoffs. He repeated his freshman year, this kid will be a top rated Kentucky RB by the time he graduates.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL

Except it was NOT fair across the board. It's only fair across the board if every player has the opportunity and that was not the case. The rule was a stupid idea by a politician to make sure his own son could repeat a year of basketball and get better.

(12-05-2021, 12:39 PM)Playcaller66 Wrote:
I’m hearing KHSSA might be gonna do another covid reclassify after Christmas. Anyone else hearing this?

That's not going to impact KHSAA though.
The kids that stayed back had to be 18 when school started, it just means they didn't stay back in elementary or middle school.
(12-05-2021, 02:33 PM)Redneck Wrote:

Oh you done did it now. I got ripped on the Pikeville/Russellville thread when I brought up Russellville’s 6-7 super seniors. I remember back when the KHSAA approved this rule and half this site lost their shit lol. They said there would be a team win a title because of it. All I did was revisit that and some people got big time butt hurt over it  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

narcissistic people twist everything and make it look as if they are the victim. You got "butt hurt" and whined like a little girl, because a school did the same thing that your school has been doing. No school should be able to hold kids back for  athletics. There should be no 19 year olds playing high school football.
(12-05-2021, 02:37 PM)Gold River Wrote:
I wasn’t defending the opposition I was saying that freshman can hang with 19 year olds they just gotta man up. im for the rule heck I wish every kid would get 5 years of high school. I have no ideal how old he is.
if he can hang with 19 year olds what will he do when he is 19? I doubt he is as strong as a lot of 19 year olds.
(12-05-2021, 09:59 PM)pjdoug Wrote:
if he can hang with 19 year olds what will he do when he is 19? I doubt he is as strong as a lot of 19 year olds.
Idk about as strong as a 19 year old but he’s tough as nails. Definitely not oversized looks like a typical freshman, but I doubt there is very many freshman with 1200+ rushing yards, while having 4 teammates with 889, 872, 640, 602 rushing yards and Mason Lawson who only got to play in a game and a quarter before season ending injury whom finished with 287 rushing yards. I think he may break some rushing records if he stays healthy.
(12-05-2021, 09:56 PM)pjdoug Wrote:
(12-05-2021, 02:33 PM)Redneck Wrote:

narcissistic people twist everything and make it look as if they are the victim. You got "butt hurt" and whined like a little girl, because a school did the same thing that your school has been doing. No school should be able to hold kids back for  athletics. There should be no 19 year olds playing high school football.
I didn’t whine or get butt hurt about a damn thing lol. And I couldn’t name you one kid on Paintsville’s roster that has stayed back in any grade, and that’s the Gods honest truth. I couldn’t even tell you 75% of their names if they were standing in front of me lol. You, of all people, talking about someone whining and getting butt hurt over what another team is doing is absolutely comical.
(12-05-2021, 10:26 PM)Gold River Wrote:
(12-05-2021, 10:22 AM)Gold River Wrote: JCs leading rusher Zack McCoart with 1200+ yards is a Freshman.
Idk about as strong as a 19 year old but he’s tough as nails. Definitely not oversized looks like a typical freshman, but I doubt there is very many freshman with 1200+ rushing yards, while having 4 teammates with 889, 872, 640, 602 rushing yards and Mason Lawson who only got to play in a game and a quarter before season ending injury whom finished with 287 rushing yards. I think he may break some rushing records if he stays healthy.
How long has McCoart been a wrestler? Since he was 5-6 years old? Much like 90% of the JC football team.
(12-06-2021, 01:17 AM)Redneck Wrote:
(12-05-2021, 10:26 PM)Gold River Wrote:
(12-05-2021, 02:24 PM)Playcaller66 Wrote: How old will he be his Senior year on August 1? No one talking about that.
How long has McCoart been a wrestler? Since he was 5-6 years old? Much like 90% of the JC football team.
Yes I believe he has won some middle school and youth state championships, wouldn’t shock me to see him win a few in high school as well.
the 5th year guys are a big help, especially if already an impact/leader type player...