•  Previous
  • 10(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbin Head Coaching Search
When I seen Haddix left I instantly thought Greer would be the quick hire. Now I’m clueless as to who it’s gonna be. So many names popping up.
What’s Joker Phillips doing these days?
ArJay Wrote:He actually had a very good record as a head coach at Bell County. But he just wasn’t Coach Hilton. I’m guessing he won 70 to 75% if his games as a head coach without looking anything up.

No disrespect, but that I don't think a fair comparison over 4 or 5 years vs a 40 year coach. Bell has went 3 times to the big show in 30 years under Hilton, now the comparison I would give is if Greer would have been a Head coach for 30 plus years, not 5. Also no doubt Hilton is a fan favorite there, I don't think in any winning program, these following coaches will get much respect until they win championships, and you also could be spot on.
The Spread Wrote:No offer has made and resumes are yet to be reviewed.

Respectfully disagree. Job has been offered. I think a decision will come early to mid next week from what I’m being told. Apparently there are some mitigating factors going into a final decision. Maybe a competing offer
Mingo Wrote:Preston - Is the coach that knows how to beat JC is a big deal. 4 times has been to the ship. He would be the right fit for the Redhounds. Has already been toured around town and school last week. That info comes from a Redhound friend.

Couldn’t possibly disagree more. He would be a terrible fit in the immediate future as you would likely lose at least the 3 of the top players currently on the roster. As was previously said on here, Preston’s team sometimes will go multiple games without even throwing a single pass. You can’t beat JC or even make it out of your district if all of the talent transfers.

On a different not I also heard the search committee hadn’t started going through and discussing applications yet as of yesterday. Who knows though, so much false information being put out there that it is hard to know what is true.
fansville Wrote:Couldn’t possibly disagree more. He would be a terrible fit in the immediate future as you would likely lose at least the 3 of the top players currently on the roster. As was previously said on here, Preston’s team sometimes will go multiple games without even throwing a single pass. You can’t beat JC or even make it out of your district if all of the talent transfers.

On a different not I also heard the search committee hadn’t started going through and discussing applications yet as of yesterday. Who knows though, so much false information being put out there that it is hard to know what is true.

Regarding Preston.....I think his record speaks for itself. 3 straight championship appearances.....2 Titles. Additionally, he’s had success everywhere he’s been. Not sure if he is in the mix or not.....but....if he is in the mix.....I know folks are throwing his name around ......Corbin would be fortunate to get him. Style of play aside. Kids want to play for a winner. Preston is definitely that.

You sound like someone who has a particular agenda. Just sayin.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:You sound like someone who has a particular agenda. Just sayin.

I don’t at all, unless you consider being concerned about the immediate future of the program an agenda. I am nothing more than a fan nowadays, don’t even have children in school anymore.
With that said, I am smart enough to realize that a QB and 2 WR type players with D1 aspirations would be crazy to stay with a coach that goes games without passing the ball.
I believe Preston would eventually be successful as he’s proven but his effect on the program the first year or 2 would take a while to recover from. Eventually people would fall in line with his style and start winning again. Your ability to acknowledge this possibility makes you seem to have more of an agenda than myself.
fansville Wrote:I don’t at all, unless you consider being concerned about the immediate future of the program an agenda. I am nothing more than a fan nowadays, don’t even have children in school anymore.
With that said, I am smart enough to realize that a QB and 2 WR type players with D1 aspirations would be crazy to stay with a coach that goes games without passing the ball.
I believe Preston would eventually be successful as he’s proven but his effect on the program the first year or 2 would take a while to recover from. Eventually people would fall in line with his style and start winning again. Your ability to acknowledge this possibility makes you seem to have more of an agenda than myself.

No dog in this fight. Just sharing info that’s been shared with me. But....when I see someone with under 50 posts suddenly throwing a coach under the proverbial bus that’s won 2 state championships in the past 3 years ......well.....it speaks volumes. Especially with all the drama that usually swirls around the Corbin program from a sports politicalization standpoint. 😂😂😂
I was told this morning the job has been offered to Greer.
fansville Wrote:Couldn’t possibly disagree more. He would be a terrible fit in the immediate future as you would likely lose at least the 3 of the top players currently on the roster. As was previously said on here, Preston’s team sometimes will go multiple games without even throwing a single pass. You can’t beat JC or even make it out of your district if all of the talent transfers.

If you look at his teams back when he was at Western High School he was almost all spread and some power game in certain situations. I would guess he will use the players he has to win and not try to force a square peg into a round hole. That is my guess.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:No dog in this fight. Just sharing info that’s been shared with me. But....when I see someone with under 50 posts suddenly throwing a coach under the proverbial bus that’s won 2 state championships in the past 3 years ......well.....it speaks volumes. Especially with all the drama that usually swirls around the Corbin program from a sports politicalization standpoint. 😂😂😂

I get it but honestly I didn’t even know this site existed until people around town started talking about the coaching change and how people on here were discussing it. I’m not big on computers.

And I’m not bashing Preston, he’s been highly successful and is obviously a great coach. I just have a different opinion than you with him being a good fit at Corbin. Do you feel like my reasoning is bad or is something that is not a concern? if so please explain, I’m open to the discussion and different views.
fansville Wrote:I get it but honestly I didn’t even know this site existed until people around town started talking about the coaching change and how people on here were discussing it. I’m not big on computers.

And I’m not bashing Preston, he’s been highly successful and is obviously a great coach. I just have a different opinion than you with him being a good fit at Corbin. Do you feel like my reasoning is bad or is something that is not a concern? if so please explain, I’m open to the discussion and different views.

I think you have some good points. But i wonder if anybody cared how many passes were being thrown each time they boarded the bus to play for the state championship. Not meant to disrespect your opinion. I think you do have some good questions.
Mingo Wrote:I think you have some good points. But i wonder if anybody cared how many passes were being thrown each time they boarded the bus to play for the state championship. Not meant to disrespect your opinion. I think you do have some good questions.

I get it, I bet they didn’t care at all and we’re happy to do whatever. As the saying goes, winning takes care of everything. My concern is the fit and it being such a drastic change that it could have initial negative consequences that may take a few years to recover from. It has been a great last few years to see the program return to a top tier one. Sounds like it may not matter and the candidate was chosen before applications were even taken.
OldColonel Wrote:What’s Joker Phillips doing these days?

He wont be at Corbin, that's for sure. :welcome:
I’m not trying to bash anyone whether it be a coach or kid, but I’ll say this. If a kid transfers/quits before they even give the new coach a chance they weren’t the type that could be counted on anyway. That being said, I don’t think anyone is gonna go anywhere and I haven’t heard that anywhere other than this site. I can guarantee that keeping kids from transferring is not going to factor into the decision as to who is hired. Corbin doesn’t beg kids to stay and doesn’t coddle kids into playing. Either get on the train or get off. It’s gonna roll on either way. If what I’m hearing comes to fruition I think the redhounds will be in great shape going forward, and they’ll keep their kids.
fansville Wrote:I get it, I bet they didn’t care at all and we’re happy to do whatever. As the saying goes, winning takes care of everything. My concern is the fit and it being such a drastic change that it could have initial negative consequences that may take a few years to recover from. It has been a great last few years to see the program return to a top tier one. Sounds like it may not matter and the candidate was chosen before applications were even taken.

I think whoever gets the job will have instant success this year coming. I know these players, and I know what everyone else in 4A brings back. Now if they hire a rookie coach, then yeah, a major setback. But with a experienced coach and someone who has the vision to run the spread offense, then its on like Donkey Kong. Now this team is a championship caliber team, just got to make sure the rest of the puzzle comes together. I believe they will be just fine Redhound Nation. :rockon:
I need this job.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:I’m not trying to bash anyone whether it be a coach or kid, but I’ll say this. If a kid transfers/quits before they even give the new coach a chance they weren’t the type that could be counted on anyway. That being said, I don’t think anyone is gonna go anywhere and I haven’t heard that anywhere other than this site. I can guarantee that keeping kids from transferring is not going to factor into the decision as to who is hired. Corbin doesn’t beg kids to stay and doesn’t coddle kids into playing. Either get on the train or get off. It’s gonna roll on either way. If what I’m hearing comes to fruition I think the redhounds will be in great shape going forward, and they’ll keep their kids.

A lot of kids got off the train during the Jewell years as kids left or decided not to play and the program stalled. Haddix comes in without your train philosophy and encouraged kids to play and the results speak for it's self. If Corbin goes back to the old ways you will see a lot of them gone or decide not to play, a simple pat on the back and a smile will do more than begging or coddling.
I heard Bert Browne would be in town soon. He has a style like Haddix and kids love playing for him.
1/4bak Wrote:A lot of kids got off the train during the Jewell years as kids left or decided not to play and the program stalled. Haddix comes in without your train philosophy and encouraged kids to play and the results speak for it's self. If Corbin goes back to the old ways you will see a lot of them gone or decide not to play, a simple pat on the back and a smile will do more than begging or coddling.

Here’s what I’m gonna say. The old ways you speak of have more to do with kids not getting a fair chance to compete before Haddix got here than offensive scheme. Having a mommy or daddy who was well connected or on the school board went a long way for a period of time right before Haddix got here. That was the biggest change. Haddix is a great at scheming and play calling, and he was a great recruiter in the hallways. The next guy can be the same even if he doesn’t run the spread. Like I said, if what I’m hearing comes to pass I think everyone will be happy, including the kids.
Same respect to you- and should that be true, it was done outside the committee, who had not met as of Wen. Things can change quickly so I’m not discounting anyone’s knowledge.
I agree with what you are saying about influence = playing time, but never underestimate kids and parents these days that don't have that influence football is not as important as the past. The old train crap is not a good way to express your self it's as if you are drawing a line. I believe you are a true fan and intentions are good just got to be careful about drawing the line because each line has 2 sides. If your son is watching a kid play that everyone in the stands knows that he is 2X as good don't expect them to stay around long.
pjdoug Wrote:I need this job.

Your willing to finally wear a Corbin shirt?
I’m hearing now that Jerry Herron is in talks with officials. The administration doesn’t want any of his assistants but he has none other to reach out to. They are trying to put together a staff for him.
1/4bak Wrote:A lot of kids got off the train during the Jewell years as kids left or decided not to play and the program stalled. Haddix comes in without your train philosophy and encouraged kids to play and the results speak for it's self. If Corbin goes back to the old ways you will see a lot of them gone or decide not to play, a simple pat on the back and a smile will do more than begging or coddling.

I was told Haddix told parents to take their kids to Lynn Canp if they wanted to see the field, not sure how that’s encouraging them to play.
I don't know if Larry French has any interest in the position at all. But I do know this, when he was hired at Boyle they were poised for a run. He and the Rebels went 43-1 over the next 3 seasons including the '09 and '10 4A state titles. He was exactly what they needed at that time. He is an older coach, I get that but with the right young OC, and maybe HC in waiting I could see Corbin going on that same type of run. Then the OC takes over. Boyle had a great group of assistant coaches during that run. Larry, with Greer and new OC with their other assistants would be a pretty formidable group.
64black&gold Wrote:I don't know if Larry French has any interest in the position at all. But I do know this, when he was hired at Boyle they were poised for a run. He and the Rebels went 43-1 over the next 3 seasons including the '09 and '10 4A state titles. He was exactly what they needed at that time. He is an older coach, I get that but with the right young OC, and maybe HC in waiting I could see Corbin going on that same type of run. Then the OC takes over. Boyle had a great group of assistant coaches during that run. Larry, with Greer and new OC with their other assistants would be a pretty formidable group.

That sounds pretty good. Any idea why didn't Larry stay at Boyle?
Yes I do, and it had very little to do with football.
Can't wait to get on with the new coach! These kids are dialed in and workouts are good, with good numbers showing out especially with other sports like baseball and track happening! Anybody heard anything since committee has met?
fridaynightfights Wrote:I was told Haddix told parents to take their kids to Lynn Canp if they wanted to see the field, not sure how that’s encouraging them to play.

This is taken out of context and honestly isn’t fair to Haddix. He always had the best interests of the kids in mind.
  •  Previous
  • 10(current)
  • Next