Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Class 2 A Championship Somerset 34 Mayfield 31
Walt Longmire Wrote:I hope #2 heals up well and has a great college career. I wish him and Alex Miller could have both gotten to play out the championship in their senior seasons.

Thanks for the backhanded compliment. Just what I expect from your fanbase. I wouldn't worry too much about the gum flapping. That pretty much all came from the red and black all week. Stats don't win games, points do. I'd wager the stats would be a little but closer if Mayfield didn't keep grabbing the Somerset receivers when they ran by them. But they did the smart thing and took the pass interference penalties instead of giving up the 6 points.

And yes, Mayfield has 24 Title game appearances and 12 Championships. But this one, this one right here is ours. You can get #13 some other time. It wasn't today. Make sure and keep all that bitterness balled up in there, it's healthy.

You know without the gumflapping you wouldn't be as entertained.If no Mayfield fans at all got on here, you would have no opinion but you base your opinion on Mayfield fans on 15 or so posters, lol.
Walt Longmire Wrote:You do not. Congratulations on a great season. Hopefully we can do it again soon .

Thanks Walt, and congrats again, somerset was definitely very good, I was actually surprised the FEW times we did stop their offense. Enjoy the win, I know how good it feels, and to win like that,,, they deserved it.
mysonis55 Wrote:One important thing I forgot. I was very impressed with the sportsmanship shown. After the last play of the game, several Mayfield players were dejected on the ground. I noticed several of the Somerset players consoling them. That was real class.

And I also witnessed Grundy and a lineman go up to Kade Neely as he was coming out at halftime and console him, class right there.
Hate the way Mayfield lost, but we've been on the other end of that with the 2nd Williamsburg game a few years back. Beaten in the stat game, but winners on the scoreboard. Same story here, but shoe on the other foot. The last two years Danville and CAL were truly better than Mayfield, Somerset is pretty equal. Somerset needed every second of the 48 minutes, plus a little more to get the win. Penalties were really what hurt Mayfield the most, almost 100 yards of them, several at the worst possible time. No false start in the last minute and Mayfield is on their way to victory formation.
Congratulations Somerset! Nothing like divine intervention!
WHO'S NEXT? Wrote:Hate the way Mayfield lost, but we've been on the other end of that with the 2nd Williamsburg game a few years back. Beaten in the stat game, but winners on the scoreboard. Same story here, but shoe on the other foot. The last two years Danville and CAL were truly better than Mayfield, Somerset is pretty equal. Somerset needed every second of the 48 minutes, plus a little more to get the win. Penalties were really what hurt Mayfield the most, almost 100 yards of them, several at the worst possible time. No false start in the last minute and Mayfield is on their way to victory formation.

If we were better, it wasn’t showing from where I was setting. Maybe with Kade we could be close. But, how would it have been if they had their starting RB that got hurt. I was really impressed with the Jumpers. Congrats
Ok truth...

As a Somerset fan I figured one of two outcomes were possible. Mayfield by 17 or Somerset by 3. Here’s why I felt as much.

First, the Mayfield passing game is outstanding. Stinson is a gamer and his receivers are just smart well coached route runners. I hate Neeley was hurt but I don’t think he was the difference. The difference was the supporting cast. Maybe they are better with him but SHS is also better with Miller. Next man up is correct.

Second, Mayfield doesn’t win 12 by accident. That’s what elite teams that are well coached teams do. They win at a high level. Mayfield is to be respected. They’ve earned it.

That said this Somerset team is just different. Balanced, big, strong, physical and with enough speed and finesse to beat teams. Every game I watched I kept thinking to myself they have a real chance if they can get past LCA and play to their strengths against Mayfield.

This is the first title for SHS in over 100 years of football. When we went up 10 in the 4th I figured it was over. Mayfield showed grit and took a lead.

That last play however is one for the ages.
CowboyDad Wrote:Ok truth...

As a Somerset fan I figured one of two outcomes were possible. Mayfield by 17 or Somerset by 3. Here’s why I felt as much.

First, the Mayfield passing game is outstanding. Stinson is a gamer and his receivers are just smart well coached route runners. I hate Neeley was hurt but I don’t think he was the difference. The difference was the supporting cast. Maybe they are better with him but SHS is also better with Miller. Next man up is correct.

Second, Mayfield doesn’t win 12 by accident. That’s what elite teams that are well coached teams do. They win at a high level. Mayfield is to be respected. They’ve earned it.

That said this Somerset team is just different. Balanced, big, strong, physical and with enough speed and finesse to beat teams. Every game I watched I kept thinking to myself they have a real chance if they can get past LCA and play to their strengths against Mayfield.

This is the first title for SHS in over 100 years of football. When we went up 10 in the 4th I figured it was over. Mayfield showed grit and took a lead.

Good post.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I said it would be close for a half and then picked MHS 42-21. I thought the speedy receiving corps would wear them down. I knew Somerset was strong but, I have seen us beat strong with speed many times. You guys deserved this win.
Killer in the Sun Wrote:Congratulations Somerset! Nothing like divine intervention!

Divine intervention???Killer i don't think God takes sides in a football game!!!!!
Congratulations Somerset. Great win.
Somerset's players are very classy.
Proud of the Cardinals for not quitting while being down on the scoreboard. Every team I pulled for has won this week but my Cards. This one hurts. My sons are done playing but they feel this. Once a Cardinal always a Cardinal.
A couple of notes: The win today was win number 100 for Robbie Lucas at Somerset. What a way to get it.

Tate Madden, who caught the game winner, is normally just a defensive back. He had the game clinching interception against LCA but had only caught 2 passes on offense all season until that last drive. Then he caught the last 2 of the year.
This was a great game. Gutsy call by ref on the PI. Most in that situation would let it go. It looked like PI in person and after seeing 2 different angles of it on social media it clearly was. The DB just shoves the receiver rather than make a play on the ball.

Really surprised at how open 12 was on the last pass. I had Somerset pulling the upset and it proved true. Crazy way it happened though!

This game and the following game with JC and Boyle were terrific!
Fifteen to Six Wrote:This was a great game. Gutsy call by ref on the PI. Most in that situation would let it go. It looked like PI in person and after seeing 2 different angles of it on social media it clearly was. The DB just shoves the receiver rather than make a play on the ball.

Really surprised at how open 12 was on the last pass. I had Somerset pulling the upset and it proved true. Crazy way it happened though!

This game and the following game with JC and Boyle were terrific!

There is no shove, you can watch it over and over, slow it down whatever.
Alright, I'm going to have to break this down into more than one post to keep my thoughts straight. I may not sleep after today.

Mayfield, I'm glad it was you guys. That's out of respect. We've been carrying the weight of being around for so long and not ever being able to get over the hump that it weighs on every single player that has ever wore the Purple and Gold. To get that 1000lb silverback gorilla off of our back is huge, but to do it against the gold standard for small school football in Kentucky makes it all the more special. This is why I didn't post this week, I didn't want to build and sort of resentment or bitterness with any of the Mayfield fans as I truly do have great respect for your fans and programs. From what I read this week it seemed like the discussion was cordial and friendly.

You guys have got a special team. As I stated before, I hate that Neely went down and hope that it's not as bad as it looked. Best of luck to that young man moving forward. Stinson is an absolute stud at QB. I was talking about him after the game with another Somerset fan that said he was 17-19 passing. My only response was "when the hell were those two incompletions?" #11, Jackson, is an absolute monster out there. He was a beast on defense and at RB. 100% respect intended, Galbreath doesn't look like much standing on the sidelines, but that kid is all heart. I would say all of these kids were fun to watch today, but as a Somerset fan, all they provided me was stress and frustration for most of the game. :biggrin:

Mayfield, it was fun. One of those games you almost hate that either team has to lose. I look forward to 2A with us, Mayfield, Danville, Beechwood, and LCA for years to come.

OK, nice stuff over. Let's do it again next year!
Somerset should be the favorite in 2020. Said that before this game. Y'all have a lot coming back at least compared to Mayfield. I know Grundy, and Sharon are back.. Not sure about what everyone else returns. LCA? I'm sure Mayfield will still be in the mix, but don't think next year will be the year to get it done. I think Caldwell County will be pretty strong.
For the Jumpers, thank you all for an amazing season. It's been a blast watching you all and you're a great group of kids that really deserved to be the ones that won the first title for Somerset. This Somerset team just removed a huge weight off the shoulders of every single player that has ever wore the Purple & Gold. We've all carried the weight of being a historic program, top 10 all time in Kentucky in wins, some of the greatest players in Kentucky high school football title history, but failing to bring home the ultimate prize. Enjoy this moment, and I hope that one day you realize how much this win means for all those that came before you.

On top of all of that, you should take pride in it for yourselves. You guys had adversity punch you in the face multiple times this season and each and every one of you just bowed your necks and fought until literally the very last whistle.

And I'd be remiss if I didn't give props to the community for showing out for this game. I saw friends of mine that played at Pulaski or Southwestern come out to the game, and even a few folks that were wearing Pulaski or Southwestern gear, but when push came to shove they were rooting on the Jumpers just as much as the rest of us.
killbilly usmc Wrote:Somerset should be the favorite in 2020. Said that before this game. Y'all have a lot coming back at least compared to Mayfield. I know Grundy, and Sharon are back.. Not sure about what everyone else returns. LCA? I'm sure Mayfield will still be in the mix, but don't think next year will be the year to get it done. I think Caldwell County will be pretty strong.

We lose 20 something Seniors, so we'll feel some growing pains. I think at one point this season, there were 54 players on the roster, and 40 of them were either Freshman or Seniors. The good news is, a lot of our playmakers were Juniors (Sheron, Grundy, Garland), and a lot of Freshman got significant playing time this year, so we will be strong next year, but we lose a lot as well.
These 2 teams gave it 110% on that field today. Someone has to win and someone has to lose. In a game like this, you feel bad for the one that comes up short. I felt both teams played with class and both fan bases should be proud. This was a heavyweight championship for the ages, going blow for blow, getting put on the mat and getting back up and coming up clutch time and time again, from both sides and not giving in.

I was texting updates to a friend of mine; actually my daughter who had to work. I told her Mayfield (first time I've seen them play this year) was soooo football smart, quick AND fast and played like a well oiled machine.
On the other hand, Somerset was big, strong and powerful with a whole lot of speed as well. The live feed did a close up on their center with shoulder length hair. He scared me a little. Wink Seriously, he was so danged intense looking!!
My live feed buffered at the end of the game, so I didn't see the winning score. I'm still burning a little about that one!!

Walt Longmire Wrote:A couple of notes: The win today was win number 100 for Robbie Lucas at Somerset. What a way to get it.

Tate Madden, who caught the game winner, is normally just a defensive back. He had the game clinching interception against LCA but had only caught 2 passes on offense all season until that last drive. Then he caught the last 2 of the year.
What great memories he has made for himself!!!

KYHSFBFan Wrote:These 2 teams gave it 110% on that field today. Someone has to win and someone has to lose. In a game like this, you feel bad for the one that comes up short. I felt both teams played with class and both fan bases should be proud. This was a heavyweight championship for the ages, going blow for blow, getting put on the mat and getting back up and coming up clutch time and time again, from both sides and not giving in.
You know, I said the same thing. As much blood sweat and tears that both of these teams gave over the year, it's a shame that one had to lose!! But that's just the game.
I am SO proud of Somerset, and yes!, I consider them a mountain team!
MY thoughts. I was waiting at the gate to get in and two Mayfield fans said to a Somerset fan, were going to win this game by two touchdowns. Most would automatically say arrogance but, I really thought at that point man, Mayfield is ready to play. Fans were confident and it was going to be a battle. I talked to the Mayfield fans and they was good people, just love there team and deservingly so. What a history. Somerset in my opinion was winning the battle and the big turnover that give the momentum to Mayfield I thought was going to be too much to overcome for a team that had played so well in a championship game. I think for a few minutes, you could have said it was over. I am still in shock at what I saw. I cant believe Somerset scored to win the game with that much time remaining. I do want to say, I believe this game will go down in history as one of the greatest last minute comebacks of all time. I really enjoyed the game. We had a similar game at home with Somerset earlier in the year. Congratulations to both teams for putting on a show. Mayfield, I saw a well coached team out there with a ton of tradition and history. Hard to beat those type teams but when it happens you know a team like Somerset has to be the real deal too. Somerset congratulation on a heck of a year. We came and watched the Breathitt County game, Knew what happened against Corbin, and now you are State Champions. Wow, again Congratulations and enjoy the moment for both teams win or lose.
Just a Big Congrats to Somerset. Making local people proud.
Killer in the Sun Wrote:Congratulations Somerset! Nothing like divine intervention!

Real classy better team won
Way to go Jumpers!
WestRedWings Wrote:D1 UofL commit goes out in first quarter makes some difference but think if you look at my post said was going to be close and didn't really see what you are talking about. Yall won on scoreboard but before u flap you gums might want to check stats because Mayfield won every statistical category. Congratulations on your 1st State enjoy come back and talk when you catch up on titles and wins.

You got that hind end smoked
great game!!!!
oldcardfan Wrote:Somerset congratulations on your well deserved victory, Mayfield what a great season, sounds like a classic ball game both communities have something to be proud of and from Far far western Ky to northern and eastern Ky there are several schools that would have loved to be in the shoes of champs to runner ups thanks to both teams for a great season. Merry Christmas and happy new year
Oldcardfan
Well said. Merry Christmas!
Jackson Purchase Wrote:Mayfield's announcers portrayed PI as terrible call? Opinions ???

Sure they did, it went against Them,I was right there, the PI called was dead on, Mayfield got away with a lot of calls early..
around a hundred yards in bs penalties and we got away with stuff.Somerset had very few so who got away with more check the stats.
Really Glad I went back online and watched this one unfold! Summerset QB looked BIG TIME in the closing minute. Happy For the Briar jumpers. New field, great season and to cap it off with a state title? Wow! Congrats!