Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greenup County 41 Russell 21
Guys this is high school football!! Our kids get on here and read this! How about we hit the pause button a little and get back to having fun with this site..cause that’s what it’s supposed to be....FUN!!
THINBLUELINE411 Wrote:And so the anarchy has begun! The curse of Ivan is will live until Russell gets a coach of integrity.

Integrity? What has he done to show a lack of integrity? Please explain your rationale.
Coach Maynard has had some highs as coach of Russell so far that are being forgotten. In 2014, his first year, he broke a six-year losing streak against Ashland that included some of the worst losses in Russell history by beating Quinton Baker and the Tomcats by 2 in Putnam Stadium. He went undefeated in the district which Russell hadn't done in many seasons leading up to that and he won the regional title and earned a trip to Belfry for a state semi game against the eventual state champ.

He came out the next season in 2015 and beat Ironton at Ironton, a previously unthinkable feat for Russell. He had the bad fortune again of running into state champ Belfry in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

In 2016, he beat Ironton again, establishing the only 2-year winning streak for the Devils against Ironton probably ever. He only lost by 1 at Ashland to a very good Tomcat team. He went undefeated in the district again, beat Raceland at Raceland, and again ran into the eventual state champ Belfry in the regional final.

The only real downer in his first 3 years at Russell was the loss at home to Fleming in a monsoon.

Additionally, attendance picked up at the games as interest in the program had gone down the tubes with the enthusiasm level in the final years of McGlone's regime. The Russell teams under Coach Maynard showed up in shape and not dropping all over the field with cramps all the time as they were during the final years of McGlone's regime.

I think Russell fans are forgetting just how bad things had gotten for Russell football. I recall hearing Russell fans complain about McGlone's wing-T as area coaches had figured it out and were stopping it with ease. Coach Maynard was one of those coaches at the time at Raceland. Russell fans wanted a spread offense. Now they want to go back to a wing-T.

What has happened last season and this season? 2017 was a bad year for the Devils. The loss to Greenup hurt. They followed that with losses to Ironton and Ashland. That set the stage for a bad season which included another loss to Fleming at home where they blundered the game away, a near loss to Bath at home, and a 1st round playoff exit to Western Hills.

Starting 2018 off losing big at Greenup isn't a good look for this season, especially with enthusiasm building behind the Ironton program, Ashland having one of their better teams, Raceland having one of their better teams, and district teams like Bath and West looking competitive as well. Coach Maynard faces quite a challenge to keep the Devils ship afloat, particularly while he is depending on sophomores and juniors to lead the way.

It looks to me like Russell just has had a few classes come through with some not so great football players. Maybe when the sophomore backfield becomes juniors and seniors Russell can look good again. Russell never seems to get transfers like other area schools do that help them, so they are always depending on whatever talent they have within their school system to maintain a good program.

I think the jury is still out on Coach Maynard's regime at Russell. The odds are stacked against him, but I'm interested to see what happens this season.
Took this one in last night. Best Greenup team since at least 2010 and I think they’re better than that senior laden group too. They can run it or pass it and the defense plays with fire and wants to HIT!
On the other sideline, this is easily the least talented Russell team I can remember them putting on the field. I agree with what was said earlier, the spread does not fit this team and if they run the wing-T and play keep away from other teams they might be able to win a game or two they aren’t supposed to win.
The better team won last night. Greenup could be looking square in the face of easily a 7-3 or 8-2 campaign.
No chance to beat Ironton! Russell will get killed by the Tigers! Russell has no chance against Ironton Raceland or Ashland and will be lucky to avoid embarrassing losses to West Boyd and Bath. The misery doesn’t end here you can expect it every single year with the current regime.
And to all you out there what is the point of senior night if your not going to play the seniors? Ivan, vanderhoof, Ed Miller. Lutz, or Marsh all the greats never cheated their seniors on senior night!
nekysportsfan Wrote:Coach Maynard has had some highs as coach of Russell so far that are being forgotten. In 2014, his first year, he broke a six-year losing streak against Ashland that included some of the worst losses in Russell history by beating Quinton Baker and the Tomcats by 2 in Putnam Stadium. He went undefeated in the district which Russell hadn't done in many seasons leading up to that and he won the regional title and earned a trip to Belfry for a state semi game against the eventual state champ.

He came out the next season in 2015 and beat Ironton at Ironton, a previously unthinkable feat for Russell. He had the bad fortune again of running into state champ Belfry in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

In 2016, he beat Ironton again, establishing the only 2-year winning streak for the Devils against Ironton probably ever. He only lost by 1 at Ashland to a very good Tomcat team. He went undefeated in the district again, beat Raceland at Raceland, and again ran into the eventual state champ Belfry in the regional final.

The only real downer in his first 3 years at Russell was the loss at home to Fleming in a monsoon.

Additionally, attendance picked up at the games as interest in the program had gone down the tubes with the enthusiasm level in the final years of McGlone's regime. The Russell teams under Coach Maynard showed up in shape and not dropping all over the field with cramps all the time as they were during the final years of McGlone's regime.

I think Russell fans are forgetting just how bad things had gotten for Russell football. I recall hearing Russell fans complain about McGlone's wing-T as area coaches had figured it out and were stopping it with ease. Coach Maynard was one of those coaches at the time at Raceland. Russell fans wanted a spread offense. Now they want to go back to a wing-T.

What has happened last season and this season? 2017 was a bad year for the Devils. The loss to Greenup hurt. They followed that with losses to Ironton and Ashland. That set the stage for a bad season which included another loss to Fleming at home where they blundered the game away, a near loss to Bath at home, and a 1st round playoff exit to Western Hills.

Starting 2018 off losing big at Greenup isn't a good look for this season, especially with enthusiasm building behind the Ironton program, Ashland having one of their better teams, Raceland having one of their better teams, and district teams like Bath and West looking competitive as well. Coach Maynard faces quite a challenge to keep the Devils ship afloat, particularly while he is depending on sophomores and juniors to lead the way.

It looks to me like Russell just has had a few classes come through with some not so great football players. Maybe when the sophomore backfield becomes juniors and seniors Russell can look good again. Russell never seems to get transfers like other area schools do that help them, so they are always depending on whatever talent they have within their school system to maintain a good program.

I think the jury is still out on Coach Maynard's regime at Russell. The odds are stacked against him, but I'm interested to see what happens this season.

The Ironton win was not against the real Ironton team. You kool aid drinkers are grasping at straws to attempt to rationalize Maynard’s shortcomings as a football coach. You can go legitimize him somewhere else, because the silent majority isn’t listening to anymore excuses!
THINBLUELINE411 Wrote:No chance to beat Ironton! Russell will get killed by the Tigers! Russell has no chance against Ironton Raceland or Ashland and will be lucky to avoid embarrassing losses to West Boyd and Bath. The misery doesn’t end here you can expect it every single year with the current regime.
And to all you out there what is the point of senior night if your not going to play the seniors? Ivan, vanderhoof, Ed Miller. Lutz, or Marsh all the greats never cheated their seniors on senior night!
you might be the most negative person on this site and that says a lot #hater #obsessed #getoveryourself
THINBLUELINE411 Wrote:And so the anarchy has begun! The curse of Ivan is will live until Russell gets a coach of integrity. You all keep thinking I’m nuts although every SINGLE thing I have said has come true! This was our worse loss to Greenup ever and get ready cause Ashland is capable of hanging 70 on this team. The rail cities bowl won’t even be a contest this year. I never thought I would see the day when Russell was by far the worst team in Greenup County. Thank you TJ Maynard for officially ruining football in Flatwoods! God it was such an awesome decision by Sean Horne to fire Ivan....not!
Look at Russell vs GC @ GC in 1986. GC put 50+ points on Ivan. That was a way worse team than the one that played @ GC last night. Btw, I was at the 1986 game, too.
They need to clean house everywhere except Head Coach. If Russell would have let TJ pick his own staff like they were supposed to, things would be going a lot smoother on the hill and chances are Grizzle would be on the hill instead of in Lloyd turning the Mouseketeer program around. I guarantee you that TJ would still be at the helm in Ramland if he’d known they weren’t gonna let him hand pick his coaching staff. But as always, when things go sour, the Head Coach takes the heat. But if you don’t get to choose you’ staff, are you really the man in charge?
You’ll miss him when he’s coaching somewhere else and putting a butt whipping on the Devils
I don’t miss him ....JS
16th_Region_Fan Wrote:I believe we are getting carried away. You are speaking of Raceland as if they can’t be touched at all. I haven’t seen them play this season but have heard from reliable sources that they are not near as talented as the team last season. The D line may be good but it doesn’t sound like the DB are as good as they have been in the past. I’m not saying GC is going to win or lose that game in a couple weeks but I don’t believe it will be a blowout like your saying. Like I previously said Greenups O is nice. Skill players are really good and have a nice balance of run and pass. O line play is better then I have seen it in many years. D could use some work but they could figure it out. They still play physical so that helps. Raceland vs. GC will be a great game that a lot of people in the area will want to see.

Your reliable source isn’t very reliable
16th_Region_Fan Wrote:I believe we are getting carried away. You are speaking of Raceland as if they can’t be touched at all. I haven’t seen them play this season but have heard from reliable sources that they are not near as talented as the team last season. The D line may be good but it doesn’t sound like the DB are as good as they have been in the past. I’m not saying GC is going to win or lose that game in a couple weeks but I don’t believe it will be a blowout like your saying. Like I previously said Greenups O is nice. Skill players are really good and have a nice balance of run and pass. O line play is better then I have seen it in many years. D could use some work but they could figure it out. They still play physical so that helps. Raceland vs. GC will be a great game that a lot of people in the area will want to see.

I know I’m going to take some flak for saying this but last year’s Raceland team really wasn’t that good and we just got hot in the playoffs. Last year was a rebuilding year and that team really overachieved. I’m not saying this year’s team is untouchable but right now we are light years ahead of where we were at this time last year.
Orange Blaze Wrote:I know I’m going to take some flak for saying this but last year’s Raceland team really wasn’t that good and we just got hot in the playoffs. Last year was a rebuilding year and that team really overachieved. I’m not saying this year’s team is untouchable but right now we are light years ahead of where we were at this time last year.

By no means am I saying they are a bad team this year. I am one that believes they are better than what people are claiming. However, they lost some key pieces last year and a lot of experience. I haven’t seen this years team play yet but from what I have read the Laks kid is a really good running back. The only point I was ever trying to make is, I don’t think it’s a done deal in Lloyd come the 7th. I think it will be a hard fought game for both teams. Both have some nice weapons that are explosive. If Greenup beats Fleming as well that makes them 3-0 and having a lot of confidence. I couldn’t tell you the last time GC would have been 3-0 entering Raceland week. Like I said though, this will be a tough game for both teams. This isn’t going to be a gimmie for either.
RAMDAD50 Wrote:I don’t miss him ....JS

No, y’all should wish that he left a year or two later so Grizzle could be the HC!
Snyder set the stage for this game when he ranked greenup ahead of raceland in the super 7. Talk about some motivated rams when they come into lloyd in a couple weeks!
Orange Blaze Wrote:I know I’m going to take some flak for saying this but last year’s Raceland team really wasn’t that good and we just got hot in the playoffs. Last year was a rebuilding year and that team really overachieved. I’m not saying this year’s team is untouchable but right now we are light years ahead of where we were at this time last year.

What are you basing this on? A loss to an over hyped Ashland team? Lets let the season unfold before we start declaring who's great, good or bad. One or two games won't tell you much.
16th_Region_Fan Wrote:By no means am I saying they are a bad team this year. I am one that believes they are better than what people are claiming. However, they lost some key pieces last year and a lot of experience. I haven’t seen this years team play yet but from what I have read the Laks kid is a really good running back. The only point I was ever trying to make is, I don’t think it’s a done deal in Lloyd come the 7th. I think it will be a hard fought game for both teams. Both have some nice weapons that are explosive. If Greenup beats Fleming as well that makes them 3-0 and having a lot of confidence. I couldn’t tell you the last time GC would have been 3-0 entering Raceland week. Like I said though, this will be a tough game for both teams. This isn’t going to be a gimmie for either.

They will be 3-0.

Greenup Co and Raceland are both solid on offense and are going to score. It will come down to who's defense can get a stop. Can Greenup slow down Lacks on the ground? Can Raceland slow down Sammons thru the air?
Dont forget judd adkins. Mouseketeers are going to get a double dose
mightydog Wrote:What are you basing this on? A loss to an over hyped Ashland team? Lets let the season unfold before we start declaring who's great, good or bad. One or two games won't tell you much.

I didn’t say we were great but I do think we will be better than we were last year. Last year we were fortunate and caught some breaks but it was a rebuilding year we weren’t what I would call a great team. Not saying we will make it back to Lexington or even win the district but let’s not base this year’s team off of last year’s team that caught some lucky breaks in the playoffs.
Orange Blaze Wrote:I didn’t say we were great but I do think we will be better than we were last year. Last year we were fortunate and caught some breaks but it was a rebuilding year we weren’t what I would call a great team. Not saying we will make it back to Lexington or even win the district but let’s not base this year’s team off of last year’s team that caught some lucky breaks in the playoffs.

I hope you do make it back and win the thing. I want all the area teams to do well. I just think it's too soon to determine who's going to do what.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:Snyder set the stage for this game when he ranked greenup ahead of raceland in the super 7. Talk about some motivated rams when they come into lloyd in a couple weeks!

Is it true Snyder hates Raceland? LOL
FootballGuy Wrote:you might be the most negative person on this site and that says a lot #hater #obsessed #getoveryourself

Someone has to stay sober and be the voice of reason among all you drunk kool aid drinkers! 😂😂
You all are just to kind, is that really the best you can come up with Foosball Boy?
THINBLUELINE411 Wrote:Someone has to stay sober and be the voice of reason among all you drunk kool aid drinkers! 😂😂
You all are just to kind, is that really the best you can come up with Foosball Boy?
Thinbluewhiner 😂
FootballGuy Wrote:Thinbluewhiner 😂

Just keep on only people gonna be doing the whining is you kool aid drinkers when all the booze runs out and Russell once again has another dismal end to a poor season! Don’t worry AA ain’t going anywhere there’s hope for you all yet!
All I hear about is TJ won at Greenup and Raceland.. Well I hate to say this but neither of those programs are even close to the rich tradition of Russell..
Hell Jim Mclwain won at Colorado state but couldn’t win at Florida 🤷🏻*♂️ The point is some systems are built differently and I think another losing season may do TJ in.. like I said they ran cover 4 and cover 2 the entire game and made ZERO adjustments. Say what you want I think Russell is athletic and talented but you’d never know it
Coming from a Red Devil
We Hang 8 Wrote:All I hear about is TJ won at Greenup and Raceland.. Well I hate to say this but neither of those programs are even close to the rich tradition of Russell..
Hell Jim Mclwain won at Colorado state but couldn’t win at Florida 🤷🏻*♂️ The point is some systems are built differently and I think another losing season may do TJ in.. like I said they ran cover 4 and cover 2 the entire game and made ZERO adjustments. Say what you want I think Russell is athletic and talented but you’d never know it
Living in the past will get you nowhere. Just like ironton 😩
Living in the past? You mean last Friday night? lol Ironton will still kill Russell. (Because are coaching is ass)
We Hang 8 Wrote:All I hear about is TJ won at Greenup and Raceland.. Well I hate to say this but neither of those programs are even close to the rich tradition of Russell..
Hell Jim Mclwain won at Colorado state but couldn’t win at Florida ����*♂️ The point is some systems are built differently and I think another losing season may do TJ in.. like I said they ran cover 4 and cover 2 the entire game and made ZERO adjustments. Say what you want I think Russell is athletic and talented but you’d never know it

Unfortunately, as long a Horne is there, TJ will be also. Morris should have been given the job. Not sure if it was ever presented to him or not but he would've been the best option.