Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greenup County 41 Russell 21
Final
Tonight’s result is only the tip of the iceberg. Devils are in for a really long year. Fair play to Muskies organized well coached and it showed tonight.
Congrats Greenup County
Greenup is the far better team this season. They should be 3-0 headed into the big Raceland matchup.

Russell may be in for a rough season. Next week’s game against Ironton is huge for both programs.
Russell was flat out coached tonight.
They tried a fake punt with the game tied at 7 on they’re own side of the field and Greenup scores 3 plays later..Russell ran almost nothing but cover 2 tonight and Greenup gashed them,just run cover 3 and make them beat you in the flats. I’ve gone to every Russell home game the last 8 years but I refuse to attend another Russell game until they Fire TJ the guy is a flat joke as a head coach
Ironton will crush this Russell team. Russell will be 0-3 soon and may not even beat teams like west carter and bath county etc.
We Hang 8 Wrote:Russell was flat out coached tonight.
They tried a fake punt with the game tied at 7 on they’re own side of the field and Greenup scores 3 plays later..Russell ran almost nothing but cover 2 tonight and Greenup gashed them,just run cover 3 and make them beat you in the flats. I’ve gone to every Russell home game the last 8 years but I refuse to attend another Russell game until they Fire TJ the guy is a flat joke as a head coach

And he doesn’t play seniors on senior night! The curse of Ivan lives and strong Flatwoods. Maynard’s comments on the radio of acceptancing responsibility is to little to late and not genuine! Obviously someone in the school system rebuked him for his final post game comments at the end of last year.
He’s steering our great proud tradition straight into the Bermuda Triangle!
THINBLUELINE411 Wrote:And he doesn’t play seniors on senior night! The curse of Ivan lives and strong Flatwoods. Maynard’s comments on the radio of acceptancing responsibility is to little to late and not genuine! Obviously someone in the school system rebuked him for his final post game comments at the end of last year.

Half the boys don’t even know the plays called from the sidelines. They need to clean house up at Russell. They have some very skilled athletes but the awful coaching overshadows them.
Dang...
I don't agree with the Ivan curse that ThinBlueLine keeps throwing out there against Russell. I do believe that it was handled wrong with how Ivan left and TJ was hired. I just don't believe in Ivan Curse. Its pretty simple for Russell right now is to go with Wing T and run offense. We have outstanding RB's from last year back this year. We have Conley, Duvall, Sharp, Anderson, and more. We only lost Bates from the RB's from last year. We can't let teams throw 3-4 TD Bombs a game like tonight with Sammons and GC.
I believe if TJ goes to the Wing T or more of a conventional Run offense with some passing mixed in and Russell would be fine on offense. The Defense is going to have to get a fix in the Pass Defense. I know I heard one fan say Russell has always been weak on Pass Defense but not this weak letting a QB throw 4-5 easy long bomb TD's. If Russell can fix the Pass Defense and TJ goes to the Wing T or conventional Run offense with our Running backs we have we could have a Decent team with the players we have this year. TJ is going to have to suck it up and go to the Run game and Wing T offense this year.
david5164 Wrote:I don't agree with the Ivan curse that ThinBlueLine keeps throwing out there against Russell. I do believe that it was handled wrong with how Ivan left and TJ was hired. I just don't believe in Ivan Curse. Its pretty simple for Russell right now is to go with Wing T and run offense. We have outstanding RB's from last year back this year. We have Conley, Duvall, Sharp, Anderson, and more. We only lost Bates from the RB's from last year. We can't let teams throw 3-4 TD Bombs a game like tonight with Sammons and GC.
I believe if TJ goes to the Wing T or more of a conventional Run offense with some passing mixed in and Russell would be fine on offense. The Defense is going to have to get a fix in the Pass Defense. I know I heard one fan say Russell has always been weak on Pass Defense but not this weak letting a QB throw 4-5 easy long bomb TD's. If Russell can fix the Pass Defense and TJ goes to the Wing T or conventional Run offense with our Running backs we have we could have a Decent team with the players we have this year. TJ is going to have to suck it up and go to the Run game and Wing T offense this year.

TJ is just an awful coach it’s that simple.
Sure won a lot of games at Raceland.
The 1st half was the killer when Russell comes out and moves right down the field and takes a 7-0 lead. Then we get an Int. and was driving again and if we can score then we are up 14-0 and that would have been huge. Then the next we get the ball he calls for a Fake punt at the 35. You punt the ball there and try to back GC deep in there territory. We could have easily score 2-3 TD's and could had a 14-0 or 21-0 halftime lead if it wasn't for the GC made on downs when we were driving the 2nd time we had the ball after the Int. Then the Fake punt at the 35 was the killer and then GC and Sammons throw 2 long throws down to the 1 and score and GC goes in at Half up 14-7. Then the 2 long TD's to start the 2nd half to go up 27-7 stinks. There is no way you let your Pass Defense throw what 4 or 5 easy long TD's for GC. Russell could have won this game if we establish the offense that we need to be running right now and if our Pass Defense didn't give up 4-5 long TD passes. TJ if running the Wing T with our RB's we have and we did see tonight we went to Wing T and a conventional run offense instead of No Huddle offense we moved the fine tonight. We could have easily score 35 or 40 points tonight if we run the offense that fits this team. Then on Defense if we don't give up 4 or 5 long TD passes and not going for Fake punts on your own 35 Russell would had a chance to win this game tonight.
May get worse for the evils because the Mousketeers aren’t very good either.
nekysportsfan Wrote:Greenup is the far better team this season. They should be 3-0 headed into the big Raceland matchup.

Russell may be in for a rough season. Next week’s game against Ironton is huge for both programs.

That’s the matchup where the mousketeers get taken down a notch or two
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:Sure won a lot of games at Raceland.
I was just about to type the same thing. He also was good enough at GC before that for Raceland to have wanted him. So after successful stints at both those schools now all of a sudden he can't coach?
I Agree with you Ram-A-Devil that TJ did win at Raceland and was an outstanding Head Coach for not only Raceland but did fine at GC before moving to Raceland. ThinBlueLine and some of the Russell Fans won't let go of Ivan. I do believe that it was handled wrong when letting Ivan go back in 2014 and then hiring TJ but we did get an outstanding coach. Ivan was 75 in 2014 and Russell knew he would be retiring soon and that is why they went out and got TJ as Head Coach. I do agree with ThinBlueLine & We hang 8 that TJ and Russell should be running the Wing T or a conventional run offense with the Backs we have this year. We lost Bates from last year and returned 5-6 good running backs so yes we should run the Wing T offense. Then on Defense it was simple tonight the Pass Defense was horrible and Sammons and GC threw what 4or 5 long TD passes tonight and make it look easy. We have to improve or change up the Pass Defense and change the Offense to a Wing T or a Running game. We saw tonight especially on Offense when we ran the Conventional offense or the Wing T we moved the ball. TJ, before last season was 29-9 in 3 seasons from 2014-2016 at Russell and last year we had some major Injuries before the start of the season and went 5-6.
THINBLUELINE411 Wrote:And he doesn’t play seniors on senior night! The curse of Ivan lives and strong Flatwoods. Maynard’s comments on the radio of acceptancing responsibility is to little to late and not genuine! Obviously someone in the school system rebuked him for his final post game comments at the end of last year.
Cry me a river
We Hang 8 Wrote:TJ is just an awful coach it’s that simple.

Not true #fakenews
I watched this one in person. I was at Ashland last night. What a difference in teams and quality of play. Russell is in trouble because they just got beat by 3 scores by an average football team. But hang in there Russell fans. District play brings tough opponents like Pendleton Co and Lewis Co and Fleming Co.
Another funny thing is that some of these Russell fans even though TJ going 29-9 from 2014-2016 wasn't beating Belfry and many were upset with that in the playoffs. Belfry went 41-4 from 2014-2016 and won 3 straight 3A Championships beating Central twice and Lexington Catholic once in those 3 years. Belfry also beat Russell each time in the Playoffs from 2014-2016 and that is another reason why fans have been upset with TJ by not beating Belfry in the playoffs. There was no 3A team in those 3 years 2014-2016 that was going to beat Belfry and that is why Belfry won the 3A championship 4 years in a row!
david5164 Wrote:I Agree with you Ram-A-Devil that TJ did win at Raceland and was an outstanding Head Coach for not only Raceland but did fine at GC before moving to Raceland. ThinBlueLine and some of the Russell Fans won't let go of Ivan. I do believe that it was handled wrong when letting Ivan go back in 2014 and then hiring TJ but we did get an outstanding coach. Ivan was 75 in 2014 and Russell knew he would be retiring soon and that is why they went out and got TJ as Head Coach. I do agree with ThinBlueLine & We hang 8 that TJ and Russell should be running the Wing T or a conventional run offense with the Backs we have this year. We lost Bates from last year and returned 5-6 good running backs so yes we should run the Wing T offense. Then on Defense it was simple tonight the Pass Defense was horrible and Sammons and GC threw what 4or 5 long TD passes tonight and make it look easy. We have to improve or change up the Pass Defense and change the Offense to a Wing T or a Running game. We saw tonight especially on Offense when we ran the Conventional offense or the Wing T we moved the ball. TJ, before last season was 29-9 in 3 seasons from 2014-2016 at Russell and last year we had some major Injuries before the start of the season and went 5-6.
Got to give it time for the spread offense to get better. Raceland was horrid for about six years before things started to get better. Vanderhoof almost got fired because of it. Same thing all of the wishbone guys wanted him fired.
FootballGuy Wrote:Not true #fakenews

Change my mind? Winning with a good good roster doesn’t prove your a good coach. Winning with an average team makes you a good coach.. point is anybody could’ve won with those teams
david5164 Wrote:Another funny thing is that some of these Russell fans even though TJ going 29-9 from 2014-2016 wasn't beating Belfry and many were upset with that in the playoffs. Belfry went 41-4 from 2014-2016 and won 3 straight 3A Championships beating Central twice and Lexington Catholic once in those 3 years. Belfry also beat Russell each time in the Playoffs from 2014-2016 and that is another reason why fans have been upset with TJ by not beating Belfry in the playoffs. There was no 3A team in those 3 years 2014-2016 that was going to beat Belfry and that is why Belfry won the 3A championship 4 years in a row!
Nobody was beating Belfry during that time period. And Russell does not have the athletes like they had in the early 2000’s. Not even close to resembling any of that talent.
Ivan will always be the best coach Russell will ever get but it was definitely time for him to go.
The 2002 Russell team was the best Russell team I've ever saw play even though we lost in ot by 1 to Breathitt.
We Hang 8 Wrote:Ivan will always be the best coach Russell will ever get but it was definitely time for him to go.

Anybody could have won with a lot of the talent he had too
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:The 2002 Russell team was the best Russell team I've ever saw play even though we lost in ot by 1 to Breathitt.

And this years team does not remotely have that kind of talent.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:Sure won a lot of games at Raceland.

And so has the next coach they got? What’s your point? Raceland has always had pretty tough teams (always)