•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville 2018
jetpilot Wrote:You didn't hear it. I said reminds me of when Pikeville was CLIMBING the mountain to greatness. Doesn't mean they will achieve greatness. But from someone who saw both groups come up through the ranks, there are some similarities. This year they will have 3 classes that played in the middle school state championship. Next year all 4 classes will have played for a middle school state championship. This bunch is special. How special is yet to be seen.

They will not have a team considered the best, regardless of class, ‘87 was. That’s all I was saying. Pikeville will be the favorites next year out of the east.
jp has a good point here. There are similarities between this team and the teams of the late 80's. Pikeville football etched it's name into Ky. School High football greatness by being the first Ky. High School to threepeat. ( regardless of class ) Jmo, the 87 Pikeville team was the best in Pikeville football history. That team had it all ! Will this 2018 team be as good ? At this point, nobody knows. It was said back then, after the 87 season was over " There will never be another team at Pikeville High School as good as this one ". One thing is for certain, We honor the past, but look to the future.
The Panthers will be tough this year.
I don’t worry much about who is the best from 3 decades ago until now. Watching these young men from the first part of the season last year until the end of the season was a great feat in my eyes on how much they improved. Someone earlier in this thread said they would be one of the favorites this year and I believe that is true but it don’t coming from me saying it or anyone else. 3 of these 1A School teams in these regions beat Pikeville last year. One was redeemed when Pikeville beat Hazard but Raceland beat Pikeville in a great game and I know JP but they still won. It’s all about putting the work in in off-season and in the heart. Yes I believe these Panthers can go all the way (but I am biased) but forget about the old Panthers and lets enjoy these knew Panthers and they have to make their history good or bad
What impressed me the most in the semis last year, when Pikeville came to our place, as always, was their heart, discipline and class. Especially for such a young team, that is a testament, not only to Coach Mac and his staff, but the people within the school system and community, that surround and raise these kids. The game got a little chipoy at times, but neither side let it go further than a shove or two after the play was over, but it ended there.

To touch on this whole who is better than who among teams 30 years apart. We have alot of the same discussions in Ramland, but does it really matter? The three peat Panthers are among the best 3 consecutive teams for a school in the history of KY high school football. Its unfair to compare this squad to any of that.

This years panthers remind me alot of the 05-08 Hazard team in terms of age, depth, and tallent. They also remind me alot of the Lec Christian teams with Witt, Hayden, and Burdett. Strong their freshman seasons, but really came on in their Jr and Sr seasons. I wont say i am "penciling" it in bc the season hasnt even started, but I am already looking foward to another great match up in the state semis. Pikeville has for years been my 2nd favorite HS football team, simply bc of the way they do things. Good luck to the 2018 Panthers, unless I should see you on an opposing sideline, in that case, your on your own and dead to me lol
Lots of praise and glory for this bunch that had what I'd consider 1 quality win last year, which was the Hazard game. Please don't tell me Grundy was good either. Wake me up on this thread when they actually give Paintsville a game. The Tigers have owned this bunch over the last couple years. Also tired of hearing the "youth' excuse. They're not young anymore. Looking forward to when the Pirates roll over to Pikeville to see if the Panthers have any more fight than last years debacle. I'll decide at that point if these "Young " Panthers deserve the hype, until then comparisons to those Panther teams of the late 80's are ridiculous. Vince Lombardi once said potential means you ain't done it yet.......
I don’t agree with this self proclaimed favorite in the east . Raceland team that beat them returns a ton and they can’t beat Paintsville for some reason
Micro-Brew Wrote:Lots of praise and glory for this bunch that had what I'd consider 1 quality win last year, which was the Hazard game. Please don't tell me Grundy was good either. Wake me up on this thread when they actually give Paintsville a game. The Tigers have owned this bunch over the last couple years. Also tired of hearing the "youth' excuse. They're not young anymore. Looking forward to when the Pirates roll over to Pikeville to see if the Panthers have any more fight than last years debacle. I'll decide at that point if these "Young " Panthers deserve the hype, until then comparisons to those Panther teams of the late 80's are ridiculous. Vince Lombardi once said potential means you ain't done it yet.......

Confusednicker:
anotherfootballnut Wrote:I don’t agree with this self proclaimed favorite in the east . Raceland team that beat them returns a ton and they can’t beat Paintsville for some reason

Raceland lost a bunch of good players, game is at Pikeville where Raceland has never won and penalties won't be 10 on Pikeville and none on Raceland next time...
Micro-Brew Wrote:Lots of praise and glory for this bunch that had what I'd consider 1 quality win last year, which was the Hazard game. Please don't tell me Grundy was good either. Wake me up on this thread when they actually give Paintsville a game. The Tigers have owned this bunch over the last couple years. Also tired of hearing the "youth' excuse. They're not young anymore. Looking forward to when the Pirates roll over to Pikeville to see if the Panthers have any more fight than last years debacle. I'll decide at that point if these "Young " Panthers deserve the hype, until then comparisons to those Panther teams of the late 80's are ridiculous. Vince Lombardi once said potential means you ain't done it yet.......
http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/sho...stcount=22:snicker::shh:

http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/sho...stcount=18

:biglmao:

While you're at it decide if Belfry can hold Central under 60 next year.Confusednicker:
anotherfootballnut Wrote:I don’t agree with this self proclaimed favorite in the east . Raceland team that beat them returns a ton and they can’t beat Paintsville for some reason
Kind of hard to have another shot at beating Paintsville this past year when Paintsville didn’t even advance to the semifinals....
jetpilot Wrote:Raceland lost a bunch of good players, game is at Pikeville where Raceland has never won and penalties won't be 10 on Pikeville and none on Raceland next time...
With one TD called back too...
PHSForever Wrote:Kind of hard to have another shot at beating Paintsville this past year when Paintsville didn’t even advance to the semifinals....

Beating Paintsville? Don’t you mean scoring a single point? Don’t you mean gaining over 80 yards of offense?

Just having a little fun in March. I fully except Pikeville to much better against Paintsville next season, but Paintsville will still have an elite defense.
2000PHS Wrote:Beating Paintsville? Don’t you mean scoring a single point? Don’t you mean gaining over 80 yards of offense?

Just having a little fun in March. I fully except Pikeville to much better against Paintsville next season, but Paintsville will still have an elite defense.

That was early September. Paintsville was bouncing basketballs when Pikeville was peaking. Just having fun too 2000. Paintsville will be right in the thick of it again...
jetpilot Wrote:That was early September. Paintsville was bouncing basketballs when Pikeville was peaking. Just having fun too 2000. Paintsville will be right in the thick of it again...
I don’t keep up with the schedule, they back at Pikeville this year? I’m assuming they are on the schedule.
2000PHS Wrote:I don’t keep up with the schedule, they back at Pikeville this year? I’m assuming they are on the schedule.
Yes
jetpilot Wrote:http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/sho...stcount=18

:biglmao:

Exactly !

I'd call all of those Soph. and Jr.s last season young. This season they won't be. The tough out of district schedule made them grow up fast. They took their lumps early, but look at how they finished. Last second field goal away from Kroger field. Nope, they won't be young this season, and will be ready for another tough schedule. NO one was comparing this team to those of the late 80's, that wouldn't be fair to this team. Just seeing some similarities, that's all. As far as playing Belfry, at least Coach Mac is not afraid to schedule them, or anyone like them. So don't get your panties in a wad concerning these Panthers, and when they're playing at Kroger Field in early Dec., you can "decide" if you want to listen to the game on the radio or not.
Micro-brew is a troublemaker. Pikeville will be a tough out for anyone this year but it comes down to preparing and having the heart. I will agree that game at Belfry was a let down for me because even they were better than Pikeville, these young men played with no effort what so ever.
I appreciate the love JP, rehashing my past and all. Yeah I def ate some crow in my past. @ Big 5-0, I can guarantee you I won't have to 'decide' to listen to it on the radio if they make it to Kroger.... I may find some maroon undies in my drawer somewhere and roll on down from the 606 myself.....And Pat1, I got two words for you pal.....Nick Foles
Micro-Brew Wrote:I appreciate the love JP, rehashing my past and all. Yeah I def ate some crow in my past. @ Big 5-0, I can guarantee you I won't have to 'decide' to listen to it on the radio if they make it to Kroger.... I may find some maroon undies in my drawer somewhere and roll on down from the 606 myself.....And Pat1, I got two words for you pal.....Nick Foles

There is a big game in the 15 region tonight in basketball, Micr-brew you might stick to basketball because anyone against the Pats couldn’t love football or maybe you are a closet fan of the Patriots and don’t want anyone to know
Micro-Brew Wrote:I appreciate the love JP, rehashing my past and all. Yeah I def ate some crow in my past. @ Big 5-0, I can guarantee you I won't have to 'decide' to listen to it on the radio if they make it to Kroger.... I may find some maroon undies in my drawer somewhere and roll on down from the 606 myself.....And Pat1, I got two words for you pal.....Nick Foles

Spare us the maroon undies, just a maroon ball cap will do,Micro. :biggrin:
Rumor has it... The Ville is LOADED!!!! I have seen them live and in color and they should be shopping at Kroger in early December.
Sky is the limit for this group of Panthers. I look for nothing less than a trip to Kroger Field
To my knowledge, Raceland & Pikeville playing in the regular season in 2019. Looking forward to this series. Good early competition, & Pikeville has a classy team & coaching staff.
I loved to see that happen would be a great game if it really happens
That game is a done deal. Also if the rumors I’m hearing are true better go ahead and get me that maroon ball cap then. It’s about to get real in the Ville!!
I will be glad to buy you a maroon cap but they have been real since the last part of last season just have to step it up one more notch
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next