Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pikeville 2018
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Thoughts and predictions?
Sky is the limit with this group. They return everyone except one Senior. Big, Strong and now experienced line anchored by junior center Caden Slater who reminds me of his predecessor, Logan Coleman. A Senior QB playmaker in Connor Roberts whose confidence only seemed to grow as the season progressed last season. You’d be hard pressed to find a more gifted receiver corps in 1A than Jackson Hensley, Christian Billiter, Seth Pugh, and Campbell Dawahare who returns after suffering an ACL injury in preseason practice last year. This group presents a serious matchup nightmare. Hensley and Billiter have the size and speed to victimize DBs at will. Pugh has the height and hands to be a serious threat in the red zone. Dawahare out of the slot has the speed to get behind LBs and make the tough catches to keep the sticks moving. Zach Roberts took a step forward @ RB last year and I look for more of the same this year.

Defensively it’s more of the same: Speed and Athleticism at every position. Jessie Sparks and Bull Hunter anchor the D-Line. Caden Caudill and Conner Wright should continue to be forces @ Linebacker. Billiter, Hensley and Dawahare will be playmakers @ DB.

Special Teams will see Tanner Hamilton @ K who had a good season last year and Seth Pugh continue to handle punting duties which he improved at last season.

Coaching: We have the best in the State in 1A w/ Coach Mac and a staff that every bit as good top to bottom as any we’ve had since the late ‘80s/ Early ‘90s.

What has always impressed me about this group from the time they were in Little League is their competitiveness and that showed last year in the playoffs as they gained valuable experience and improved from a 1-4 start to ending a last second field goal away from going to Kroger Field. Now that team is all back a year older and stronger. Add in a incoming Freshman class who finished as the State Runner-Up in Jr High last season with a couple of players who could see the field a little bit, especially on Special Teams. That gives you something that even the best 1A teams would kill for: Depth!
I know anything can happen and I’m not sizing the rings up yet by any stretch. But it’s hard to not be excited about this season.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Sky is the limit with this group. They return everyone except one Senior. Big, Strong and now experienced line anchored by junior center Caden Slater who reminds me of his predecessor, Logan Coleman. A Senior QB playmaker in Connor Roberts whose confidence only seemed to grow as the season progressed last season. You’d be hard pressed to find a more gifted receiver corps in 1A than Jackson Hensley, Christian Billiter, Seth Pugh, and Campbell Dawahare who returns after suffering an ACL injury in preseason practice last year. This group presents a serious matchup nightmare. Hensley and Billiter have the size and speed to victimize DBs at will. Pugh has the height and hands to be a serious threat in the red zone. Dawahare out of the slot has the speed to get behind LBs and make the tough catches to keep the sticks moving. Zach Roberts took a step forward @ RB last year and I look for more of the same this year.

Defensively it’s more of the same: Speed and Athleticism at every position. Jessie Sparks and Bull Hunter anchor the D-Line. Caden Caudill and Conner Wright should continue to be forces @ Linebacker. Billiter, Hensley and Dawahare will be playmakers @ DB.

Special Teams will see Tanner Hamilton @ K who had a good season last year and Seth Pugh continue to handle punting duties which he improved at last season.

Coaching: We have the best in the State in 1A w/ Coach Mac and a staff that every bit as good top to bottom as any we’ve had since the late ‘80s/ Early ‘90s.

What has always impressed me about this group from the time they were in Little League is their competitiveness and that showed last year in the playoffs as they gained valuable experience and improved from a 1-4 start to ending a last second field goal away from going to Kroger Field. Now that team is all back a year older and stronger. Add in a incoming Freshman class who finished as the State Runner-Up in Jr High last season with a couple of players who could see the field a little bit, especially on Special Teams. That gives you something that even the best 1A teams would kill for: Depth!
I know anything can happen and I’m not sizing the rings up yet by any stretch. But it’s hard to not be excited about this season.

Great information. Is Seth Pugh Daric's younger brother?
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:Great information. Is Seth Pugh Daric's younger brother?

Yes. More similar build and skill set to their brother, Wes, who is arguably Pike Central’s best WR in school history.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Yes. More similar build and skill set to their brother, Wes, who is arguably Pike Central’s best WR in school history.

Daric was great at Pikeville but I think he may wind up being better at G'town! They have a real shot at a national title over the next 2-3 years.
Does anyone happen to know their schedule?
jgrlzz Wrote:Does anyone happen to know their schedule?
Not 100% sure about all of it, but they should have LCA (Pike County Bowl) Paintsville, Hazard, and Belfry all @ Home this year.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Yes. More similar build and skill set to their brother, Wes, who is arguably Pike Central’s best WR in school history.

I don’t think there much argument to it...
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Sky is the limit with this group. They return everyone except one Senior. Big, Strong and now experienced line anchored by junior center Caden Slater who reminds me of his predecessor, Logan Coleman. A Senior QB playmaker in Connor Roberts whose confidence only seemed to grow as the season progressed last season. You’d be hard pressed to find a more gifted receiver corps in 1A than Jackson Hensley, Christian Billiter, Seth Pugh, and Campbell Dawahare who returns after suffering an ACL injury in preseason practice last year. This group presents a serious matchup nightmare. Hensley and Billiter have the size and speed to victimize DBs at will. Pugh has the height and hands to be a serious threat in the red zone. Dawahare out of the slot has the speed to get behind LBs and make the tough catches to keep the sticks moving. Zach Roberts took a step forward @ RB last year and I look for more of the same this year.

Great summation HP. Depth ,talent, and great coaching will pay dividends as the season progresses.
Love this thread and the posts are spot on. I just want to add that Pikeville D improved by leaps and bounds from beginning of year to playoffs last year and was playing at a very high level. This bunch reminds me of 80s when Pikeville was climbing the mountain to greatness...
jetpilot Wrote:Love this thread and the posts are spot on. I just want to add that Pikeville D improved by leaps and bounds from beginning of year to playoffs last year and was playing at a very high level. This bunch reminds me of 80s when Pikeville was climbing the mountain to greatness...

Was thinking the same thing earlier jp. If this team is anywhere close to those teams of the late 80's, then we're in for a ride. Can't wait !
Should be big favorite in the East. As good as they were last year I look for them to take a big step forward.

Great post HP! Is Watkins going to be back? Another speedy, excellent receiver, and excellent defensive player as well.
jetpilot Wrote:Great post HP! Is Watkins going to be back? Another speedy, excellent receiver, and excellent defensive player as well.
Yes.

Only losses are Jake Wilkerson, Zach Hamilton, and Wyatt Battaile (DNP in 2017)
Panther Thunder Wrote:Yes.

Only losses are Jake Wilkerson, Zach Hamilton, and Wyatt Battaile (DNP in 2017)

Thanks for the info PT. I was hoping HP didn't have any inside info that Watkins had decided not to play his senior season. Good player.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Not 100% sure about all of it, but they should have LCA (Pike County Bowl) Paintsville, Hazard, and Belfry all @ Home this year.
As well, I believe Calloway County pays a return visit to Pikeville, but I’m not sure if the Tolsia game was set up as a two year agreement? If so, Tolsia at Home. Road games look to be at Covington Holy Cross, at Grundy, at Phelps? Anyone have confirmation on any of those? Be nice to see them pick up one more if these are set
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Not 100% sure about all of it, but they should have LCA (Pike County Bowl) Paintsville, Hazard, and Belfry all @ Home this year.
As well, I believe Calloway County pays a return visit to Pikeville, but I’m not sure if the Tolsia game was set up as a two year agreement? If so, Tolsia at Home. Road games look to be at Covington Holy Cross, at Grundy, at Phelps? Anyone have confirmation on any of those? Be nice to see them pick up one more if these are set
jetpilot Wrote:Great post HP! Is Watkins going to be back? Another speedy, excellent receiver, and excellent defensive player as well.

Thanks Jet! Yes Watkins will be back! Knew I was forgetting someone...
Watkins is a very good player!
Pikeville will be a handful this year
Don't forget about Jon Collum on D! Stout OLB.
Jon Collum is ight too
KettleKorn Wrote:Don't forget about Jon Collum on D! Stout OLB.

Yes, really liked his play as well. He was constantly making plays on defense!
This is going to be a great year for football in 1A in the east. Raceland.Hazard,Paintsville and Pikeville will be battling it out again to see who represents the east. Hope that all teams stay healthy. Can’t wait for it to get started, but I love them Panthers.
I like the upcoming Juniors. Lots of talent
PHSForever Wrote:As well, I believe Calloway County pays a return visit to Pikeville, but I’m not sure if the Tolsia game was set up as a two year agreement? If so, Tolsia at Home. Road games look to be at Covington Holy Cross, at Grundy, at Phelps? Anyone have confirmation on any of those? Be nice to see them pick up one more if these are set

At Grundy. Last season Grundy came into Hambley with a chip on their shoulder, and the game got chippy. Panthers won though.
Big Five-0- Wrote:At Grundy. Last season Grundy came into Hambley with a chip on their shoulder, and the game got chippy. Panthers won though.

That’s gonna be tough at their place.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:That’s gonna be tough at their place.

Exactly. truly believe with the discipline that Coach Mac teaches, and with the talent that will be there this season, the Panthers will overcome and win just like last season.
I understand the excitement. It has been earned, but I don’t want to hear this talk about them being like the late ‘80s teams. 87 Pikeville was just an unfair assembly of talent and heart. I will stick by this if they win the next 3 state titles. Unfair comparison.

As for 2018 Pikeville will be a tough out for anyone. Plus they would have homefield in the semi state. Coach Mac is as good as it gets. How in the world did Pikeville let him go!?
2000PHS Wrote:I understand the excitement. It has been earned, but I don’t want to hear this talk about them being like the late ‘80s teams. 87 Pikeville was just an unfair assembly of talent and heart. I will stick by this if they win the next 3 state titles. Unfair comparison.

As for 2018 Pikeville will be a tough out for anyone. Plus they would have homefield in the semi state. Coach Mac is as good as it gets. How in the world did Pikeville let him go!?

You didn't hear it. I said reminds me of when Pikeville was CLIMBING the mountain to greatness. Doesn't mean they will achieve greatness. But from someone who saw both groups come up through the ranks, there are some similarities. This year they will have 3 classes that played in the middle school state championship. Next year all 4 classes will have played for a middle school state championship. This bunch is special. How special is yet to be seen.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12