Poll: Who Wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
BELFRY
61.90%
Huntington, WV
38.10%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huntington, WV at Belfry (Pike County Bowl) 8/25/17
64SUR Wrote:Going with 3A Champs Belfry in this one. Confusedalute:

Belfry 42
Huntington WV 21

Hope your right Ol Buddy, especially with that score. This is going to be a knock down drag out fight, in my opinion. I sure hope we dont lose the season opener on Pond Creek! We'll see.
#55PirateFan Wrote:Hope your right Ol Buddy, especially with that score. This is going to be a knock down drag out fight, in my opinion. I sure hope we dont lose the season opener on Pond Creek! We'll see.

I think your right knock down drag out fight in this one and I think we'll win if we don't put ourselves in a hole early with penalties or turnovers but it's both teams first game so it can't go perfect for ether team but I do think we win
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:I think your right knock down drag out fight in this one and I think we'll win if we don't put ourselves in a hole early with penalties or turnovers but it's both teams first game so it can't go perfect for ether team but I do think we win

I'm with you brother. And your right, it's BOTH teams first game. So they'll be as sloppy as us, if we even are. I believe if this game was played week 4 or 5 instead of week 1, we'd win by 2 or 3 touchdowns.
#55PirateFan Wrote:I'm with you brother. And your right, it's BOTH teams first game. So they'll be as sloppy as us, if we even are. I believe if this game was played week 4 or 5 instead of week 1, we'd win by 2 or 3 touchdowns.

I agree we just got to play our game and we'll be fine
is wymt going be there live?
cuppett777 Wrote:is wymt going be there live?

I'm not sure I think EKB does the Pike Co.Bowl
cuppett777 Wrote:is wymt going be there live?

Well they co-sponsor the Pike County Bowl, I'd say so lol.

They'll be there for both nights.
Ton of excitement from the Belfry faithful about the team this year. Can't wait to get out and see this one. In typical Haywood fashion, this team will get better and better every week. I still look for Belfry to win in a close one but no need to push the panic button if a loss occurs. Great early test for the Pirates.
After reading this thread......It appears the buzzards are circling....and the obituary is almost done. Belfry Football....aka Pond Creek Nation....is dead. The naysayers are sticking out their chest and the rest of the state is taking a collective sigh of relief that the Beast from the East has officially fallen on it's sword.

Not so quick my high-minded and jealous football fanatics. The names have changed a bit....but, it would be a mistake to write off the Big Red....regardless what happens Friday against Huntington.

Offensively....Belfry looks quicker than ever. The offensive line is coming around....very good size....good quickness. They just need time to jell. The skill positions look better than ever.

Defensively....Belfry is Belfry. LB's appear to be much quicker than last year. Fields and Wellman just need to stay healthy. Secondary looks to be in very good hands with Devin Varney leading the way. The D-Line is coming together....much like the O-Line.

No predictions for Friday. What I will say is that Belfry's best Football is still a few weeks away. But....big improvement was made from the Richlands scrimmage to this past Friday's with Hazard.

So...for all the naysayers on this thread......I wouldn't go purchase a black suit and condolence wreath just yet Smile
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:After reading this thread......It appears the buzzards are circling....and the obituary is almost done. Belfry Football....aka Pond Creek Nation....is dead. The naysayers are sticking out their chest and the rest of the state is taking a collective sigh of relief that the Beast from the East has officially fallen on it's sword.

Not so quick my high-minded and jealous football fanatics. The names have changed a bit....but, it would be a mistake to write off the Big Red....regardless what happens Friday against Huntington.

Offensively....Belfry looks quicker than ever. The offensive line is coming around....very good size....good quickness. They just need time to jell. The skill positions look better than ever.

Defensively....Belfry is Belfry. LB's appear to be much quicker than last year. Fields and Wellman just need to stay healthy. Secondary looks to be in very good hands with Devin Varney leading the way. The D-Line is coming together....much like the O-Line.

No predictions for Friday. What I will say is that Belfry's best Football is still a few weeks away. But....big improvement was made from the Richlands scrimmage to this past Friday's with Hazard.

So...for all the naysayers on this thread......I wouldn't go purchase a black suit and condolence wreath just yet Smile

Well said my friend well said
I'm pulling for Belfry and Philip Haywood as always. Go Pirates!
Just got finished looking at some stats and info about Huntington.

This game won't be a cake walk, but I think Belfry will pull it off. They are normally well disciplined and conditioned even at the beginning of the season.

I'll take the Pirates by 12!!

Hope for an injury free contest.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:After reading this thread......It appears the buzzards are circling....and the obituary is almost done. Belfry Football....aka Pond Creek Nation....is dead. The naysayers are sticking out their chest and the rest of the state is taking a collective sigh of relief that the Beast from the East has officially fallen on it's sword.

I pronounce them dead with rigor mortis. stick a fork in em .
Who is rigor mortis?

Confusednicker:
Granny Bear Wrote:Who is rigor mortis?

Confusednicker:

somebody from West Virginia. I didn't mean to talk trash ,but I just couldn't help my self :biglmao:
Good luck to belfry, always a fan of Haywood and the kids.
Belfry is gonna spank that a$$! Pirates by 21!
I think a game like this will only help Belfry in the long run, regardless if they win or lose. Coach Haywood continues to play a top notch schedule and this has been proven to be beneficial to the overall success of the Pirate program. I don't think any one who is associated with the Belfry program, pays a lot of attention to a loss during the regular season, especially, when you have ran off four straight state championships.
They had a great practice today they will go over somethings toworrow and then it's time to get it on
Belfry 36-13
Belfry 35-17
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:Yea that's why mingo wont schedules a top team in WV because they know what would happen they would get destroyed

Was just gonna sit back and watch this thread but had to jump in here on
this one. Mingo Central is playing Point Pleasant tonight, who has won
43-Straight Regular Season Games, the longest in WV currently....powerhouse team, hasn't lost a home
season opener in 10 years....yeah, "not a top team". :Clap:
MCMiner247 Wrote:Was just gonna sit back and watch this thread but had to jump in here on
43-Straight Regular Season Games, the longest in WV currently....powerhouse team, hasn't lost a home

Not taking any credit away from that streak, but West Virginia football just isn't the same in my opinion. Last census I could find Point Pleasant has around 1200 kids. A bit more than half of them are males. A school similar in Kentucky to this number is Bowling Green. Top tier in West Virginia is not the same as top tier in Kentucky. Just my opinion though in the good spirit of debate.
MCMiner247 Wrote:Was just gonna sit back and watch this thread but had to jump in here on

To be fair:
- Point Pleasant is probably the best regular season foe Mingo has played since the days when Wayne was actually up. Definitely kudos for stepping up their out of conference games.

- With that said, I still wouldn't quantify PP necessarily as a "top team". Regular season wins or not, PP hasn't reached but only one Semi-Finals during this run of the past 5 years and has had a handful of blowout playoff losses.

A "very good" team? Certainly.

- All told though this is what Mingo Central needed to do to continue to build their program. Now that they have tasted success at the highest level it is about sustaining that path and stiffer competition is where it begins.
3sporteagle Wrote:Not taking any credit away from that streak, but West Virginia football just isn't the same in my opinion. Last census I could find Point Pleasant has around 1200 kids. A bit more than half of them are males. A school similar in Kentucky to this number is Bowling Green. Top tier in West Virginia is not the same as top tier in Kentucky. Just my opinion though in the good spirit of debate.

Aside from enrollment that is where the comparison ends between Bowling Green and Point Pleasant.

Bowling Green would traditionally be the top team in WV if not second (by a slim margin) to the WV 3A Champion.

I would compare Point Pleasant to a Christian County or Owensboro in Kentucky during their better teams.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Aside from enrollment that is where the comparison ends between Bowling Green and Point Pleasant.

Bowling Green would traditionally be the top team in WV if not second (by a slim margin) to the WV 3A Champion.

I would compare Point Pleasant to a Christian County or Owensboro in Kentucky during their better teams.

Im actually going to eat some crow on this one. After talking to a close friend who coaches at Mingo I have been informed that Point Pleasant has taken a large drop in enrollment and is now 2A in WV with around 750 kids in the school. Still would be around a 3A size school here though.
Will WYMT be streaming this game?

That's a laugh point Pleasant had a good season last year but they got killed by James Monroe and I got to watch them and they sucked
I give the Belfry/Lenore/Matewan/ Mingo Central/ Tug Valley PIRATES a chance......with all the WV kids on the field should be fun to watch
Hookedonhoops Wrote:I give the Belfry/Lenore/Matewan/ Mingo Central/ Tug Valley PIRATES a chance......with all the WV kids on the field should be fun to watch

Where you from JC sounds about like one of those lol