Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Huntington, WV at Belfry (Pike County Bowl) 8/25/17
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Belfry -28
HHS -14
Beat down. Belfry just reloads.
I think the game will be 14-7 at half. I look for Belfry to struggle a bit offensively as far as turnovers and silly penalties go. I think Belfry pulls away in the end and HHS adds a garbage TD late in the 4th.
I don't know much about Huntington. Belfry 21-7.
Here's an excerpt from the Williamson Daily News:

Belfry returns several skill players including junior quarterback Avery Browning (5'9", 160 lbs.), senior fullback Derek Wellman (6'2", 194 lbs.), and senior running backs Taveon Hunter (5'10", 175 lbs.) and Devin Varney (6'1", 160 lbs.)

Belfry, which normally likes to run the football, has two receivers expected to see action in 2017. They will be senior Ryan Jessie (6'2", 174 lbs.) and senior Koleston Blankenship (5'11", 170 lbs.)

Belfry lost several linemen via graduation, four that signed to play Division One college football.

Huntington's top player is junior OL/DL Darnell Wright (6'6", 275 lbs.). Wright is ranked as the No. 1 offensive tackle and No. 12 overall national prospect in the Class of 2019 by Rivals.

Jadon Hayes (5'11", 180 lbs.) is a senior running back and safety with lots of experience. Hayes can break a game open offensively, but he's one of the top safeties in W.Va.

Senior quarterback Luke Zban (6'0", 175 lbs.) returns for his second year as the starter and possesses a solid arm to balance the offense. His top targets will be senior Mikal Dawson (6'4", 215 lbs.), junior Bryce Damous (6'3", 220 lbs.), senior Cordell Pitts (6'3", 200 lbs.) and senior Brett Christian (5'11", 165 lbs.).

Defensively, Hayes will lead on the back-end while Wright is a mainstay on the D-Line. The top returning linebacker is Shymeik Burger (6'0", 200 lbs., Sr.).
I think this is going to be a good test for our Pirate team for a season opener this is most definitely the best team we've had in the Pike Co. Bowl in a few years we are very capable of winning this game we just got to play smart and not to have a lot of turnovers or penalties I like our schedule we play some quality teams but this will make us better this is what gets you ready for the playoffs
Should be a great game. Huntington is a HUGE School and will have the size and athletes to play with and even beat Belfry. Gotta go with Belfry but will not shock me if this game is very very tight and Huntington wins.
The Highlander's by a touchdown over the Pirates in the battle of West Virginia!
Tomcat Pride Wrote:The Highlander's by a touchdown over the Pirates in the battle of West Virginia!

HAHA! :Shaking:
Pirates 27-14.
Huntington sounds like they have some damn good and highly ranked athletes. Could be a big test for the Pirates.
And some big physical receivers.
Do-double-gg Wrote:Huntington sounds like they have some damn good and highly ranked athletes. Could be a big test for the Pirates.

it will be a big test for belfry but one that they need. This could possible be a loss for Belfry but these kinds of games helps later in the season and pays dividends. Its not a district game or means nothing to the playoff seeding so...
BelfryPride Wrote:it will be a big test for belfry but one that they need. This could possible be a loss for Belfry but these kinds of games helps later in the season and pays dividends. Its not a district game or means nothing to the playoff seeding so...

I don't think Huntington is tough enough to stop a run game like Belfry has. My question is how good is the Pirates going to be at stopping the pass this year. If Huntington can throw it with good athletic receivers that size they could be a big problem for the defense
I still think Belfry will win this game. I have a lot of ties to the Huntington area and I can't stand it either.
Do-double-gg Wrote:I don't think Huntington is tough enough to stop a run game like Belfry has. My question is how good is the Pirates going to be at stopping the pass this year. If Huntington can throw it with good athletic receivers that size they could be a big problem for the defense
I still think Belfry will win this game. I have a lot of ties to the Huntington area and I can't stand it either.

Not sure if Huntington is a team that likes to spread things out with the pass. The last few years Belfry has had the personnel to be able to shut the pass down for the most part, the only game I can think of last year that Belfry got burnt through the air was the Corbin game. Central wasn't as effective passing the ball much either in the title game. It'll be interesting to see how Belfry covers the pass this season.
Huntington rolls in this one. I don't know if it will be the same type of beat down and humiliation that another West Virginia foe, Cabell Midland, put on the Pirates a couple years ago when they blew the pirate ship completely out of the water. I wish the Pirates luck, but I'm afraid this one will be over before the ship even sets sail.
Westside Wrote:Huntington rolls in this one. I don't know if it will be the same type of beat down and humiliation that another West Virginia foe, Cabell Midland, put on the Pirates a couple years ago when they blew the pirate ship completely out of the water. I wish the Pirates luck, but I'm afraid this one will be over before the ship even sets sail.

Cabell Midland is a WV powerhouse and would be a 6A school in Kentucky. HHS finished 6-4 including a loss to Cabell Midland last year and lost in the first round of the playoffs last year to South Charleston.

HHS would be a AAA school in Ky. Cant compare any 6A school to a 3A school, apples and oranges don't match.
Westside Wrote:Huntington rolls in this one. I don't know if it will be the same type of beat down and humiliation that another West Virginia foe, Cabell Midland, put on the Pirates a couple years ago when they blew the pirate ship completely out of the water. I wish the Pirates luck, but I'm afraid this one will be over before the ship even sets sail.

Let's also remember that Belfry handled Midland fairly easily at Belfry last year.
BelfryPride Wrote:Cabell Midland is a WV powerhouse and would be a 6A school in Kentucky. HHS finished 6-4 including a loss to Cabell Midland last year and lost in the first round of the playoffs last year to South Charleston.

HHS would be a AAA school in Ky. Cant compare any 6A school to a 3A school, apples and oranges don't match.
Was there not a post comparing Belfry to Trinity a few months back? I totally agree with you, different level of football.
BelfryPride Wrote:Cabell Midland is a WV powerhouse and would be a 6A school in Kentucky. HHS finished 6-4 including a loss to Cabell Midland last year and lost in the first round of the playoffs last year to South Charleston.

Midland is good but calling them a powerhouse in my book is a bit of a stretch. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they have never won a state title in their history and are coming off a 6-5 record last year. Powerhouse status in my book is reserved for teams that win championships like your Belfry Pirates.

I honestly hope Belfry wins. I find it hard to root against Phillip Haywood. I sure don't want to see another humiliating loss like their 49-7 loss to Midland. I'm not taking a shot at Belfry here because I thought the blowout against Midland, regardless of school size, made our whole state look bad considering Belfry went on to win a state title in dominating fashion and Midland couldn't even make it to the title game. Like I said I hope you're right and I'm wrong. We will see this coming weelend.

Thanks for the good luck wish I thank it will be a very competitive game to different styles of ball and if we don't turn it over we will pull this one out but opinions are like a--holes we all have one some of us know what we're talking about and some of us like yourself don't Know much about what we're talking about but I guess we'll see you have a blessed day :1::1::1::1::1::1:
bucslover68 Wrote:Let's also remember that Belfry handled Midland fairly easily at Belfry last year.

Let's remember that Midland went 6-5 last year.
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:Thanks for the good luck wish I thank it will be a very competitive game to different styles of ball and if we don't turn it over we will pull this one out but opinions are like a--holes we all have one some of us know what we're talking about and some of us like yourself don't Know much about what we're talking about but I guess we'll see you have a blessed day :1::1::1::1::1::1:

You have a blessed day too and are those trophies for me?
So many one-liners, so little time...Confusedinglepar
jetpilot Wrote:So many one-liners, so little time...Confusedinglepar

Yes they are that's what I like about getting on here Lol
jetpilot Wrote:So many one-liners, so little time...Confusedinglepar

I saw a few shots I could have taken, but I'm trying to be good. :eyeroll:
Westside Wrote:You have a blessed day too and are those trophies for me?

Nope that's six State Championships and going to go get another one lol
Westside Wrote:Midland is good but calling them a powerhouse in my book is a bit of a stretch. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they have never won a state title in their history and are coming off a 6-5 record last year. Powerhouse status in my book is reserved for teams that win championships like your Belfry Pirates.

I honestly hope Belfry wins. I find it hard to root against Phillip Haywood. I sure don't want to see another humiliating loss like their 49-7 loss to Midland. I'm not taking a shot at Belfry here because I thought the blowout against Midland, regardless of school size, made our whole state look bad considering Belfry went on to win a state title in dominating fashion and Midland couldn't even make it to the title game. Like I said I hope you're right and I'm wrong. We will see this coming weelend.

Yes but pound for pound Kentucky football is stronger then West Virginia. West Virginia has 4 or 5 schools that are huge and draw from talent all over the state. At the top you have teams like Midland, Capital, South Charleston, Parkersburg and Morgantown then you have a huge drop off after that with everyone else. Kentucky has plenty of huge schools of similar size that would compete with those schools easily. Teams like Trinity, Male, St.Xavier, Lafayette and Scott County just to name a few would not only compete with those schools but are a step or two better most years if you ask me. I can promise you if a Belfry-v- Trinity game happened as strong as Belfry is it would not be close. I would say that Trinity's second team most years would be a strong contender for a title in 3 or 4a most years. Teams like that have so much talent and depth to choose from it's crazy. Most schools in this area have every other year a player or two that might be D1 talent but those Schools like Trinity have that at almost every position on the field. It would be like Belfry going up against an All Star team that has had time to work together and practice every day. That kinda puts things into prospective of what it's like for a small school around here trying to compete with a team like that. Whole different level of football.
Do-double-gg Wrote:Yes but pound for pound Kentucky football is stronger then West Virginia. West Virginia has 4 or 5 schools that are huge and draw from talent all over the state. At the top you have teams like Midland, Capital, South Charleston, Parkersburg and Morgantown then you have a huge drop off after that with everyone else. Kentucky has plenty of huge schools of similar size that would compete with those schools easily. Teams like Trinity, Male, St.Xavier, Lafayette and Scott County just to name a few would not only compete with those schools but are a step or two better most years if you ask me. I can promise you if a Belfry-v- Trinity game happened as strong as Belfry is it would not be close. I would say that Trinity's second team most years would be a strong contender for a title in 3 or 4a most years. Teams like that have so much talent and depth to choose from it's crazy. Most schools in this area have every other year a player or two that might be D1 talent but those Schools like Trinity have that at almost every position on the field. It would be like Belfry going up against an All Star team that has had time to work together and practice every day. That kinda puts things into prospective of what it's like for a small school around here trying to compete with a team like that. Whole different level of football.

I think Kentucky's elite teams would beat West Virginia 's elite teams almost every time.
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:Nope that's six State Championships and going to go get another one lol

Darn
Pages: 1 2 3 4