Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pulaski County 41 Highlands 31
Blair went to Ball State Boone went to Ohio university.

I agree Johnson could play D1 somewhere. He just needs to find the right fit.

I thought Alex Abner was as good an athlete as anyone mentioned above but he went to Lindsey Wilson.

I agree with Warrior that Johnson, Hall, Helton, Gregory, Whitaker and a host of others could really excel at that level.
Jaxkait Wrote:So I guess if Damian Harris had lived 30 miles further south he would be playing for Union or Campbelsville? It's not like nobody from this area hasn't gone D1 before, Mitten from SW went to UK,Cole from SHS went to Vandy(and Johnson is better than Cole was),Massy,Price older players but still went to UK! That's just to name a few! Daulton from SW is on a visit to UK today as we speak! So tell me again why a Kid from Eastern KY can't go D1? O yeah wasn't their a guy by the name of Couch from Eastern Ky?

Minton*, and he never saw the field at UK.

Judging by your certainty in your statements I'm guessing you never saw Cole play. He was easily one the top 3 WRs in Kentucky since the turn of the century. I'll give you his stats at Vandy weren't great but he was on a triple option team and was hurt his entire time at Vandy. He did lead them in receiving his redshirt freshman year. If he had gone to Stanford which he almost did (Jim Harbaugh was at his home in Somerset multiple times his senior year) we may be singing a different tune about Cole at this point. As it stands he is statistically THE BEST WR to play in Kentucky. Johnson I'm sure is a great high school WR, but Cole wasn't exactly chopped liver.
RoShamBo Wrote:Minton*, and he never saw the field at UK.

Judging by your certainty in your statements I'm guessing you never saw Cole play. He was easily one the top 3 WRs in Kentucky since the turn of the century. I'll give you his stats at Vandy weren't great but he was on a triple option team and was hurt his entire time at Vandy. He did lead them in receiving his redshirt freshman year. If he had gone to Stanford which he almost did (Jim Harbaugh was at his home in Somerset multiple times his senior year) we may be singing a different tune about Cole at this point. As it stands he is statistically THE BEST WR to play in Kentucky. Johnson I'm sure is a great high school WR, but Cole wasn't exactly chopped liver.
To me, stats don't matter. Both were and are great receivers for this area. Who's the best comes down to college coaches. Cole was good enough to play at Vandy. If Johnson can play somewhere better I'll say he is the best, but for now with Cole playing in the SEC I'll go with him. I will take college coaches opinions on how good someone is over BGR posters every time. Johnson still has one more season, so we'll see.
RoShamBo Wrote:Minton*, and he never saw the field at UK.

I did see Cole play but didn't really keep up with his stats! I'm not trying to compare him to Johnson! I do believe Johnson is the best receiver in the state but that's not the point! The point is that people that are saying kids from this area can't go D1 is ridiculous.
Congrats to PC. Definitely the better team. Really impressed with a lot of their players, but particularly numbers 16, 2, 7 and 44. Ball players.

Highlands got to where I expected them to get. I saw good effort out of the Birds. Which is all an adult can (should) ask of kids playing a game.

As a fan of Coach Hines, I hope PC takes the title. My younger son played on the Highlands 09 team that beat PC in the semis that year. Saw Coach Hines the following week at the state games. While the sting of the loss the prior week had to still be very fresh, he was amazing gracious and complimentary of my son (and his teammates, especially Highlands O line). He didn't need to do that, but did. Made a great impression on me.

So, GO MAROONS. TAKE STATE.
I just heard through rumors or through the grapevine. Hines is a class act. Great coach and great person. I think he's well respected through out the state.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:So many picking Highlands on here this week when PC is as good as they are. Idk why people think a close game with a good NL team did them in. NL could have beaten Highlands.

Congrats PC. Looking forward to that BG matchup. Should be a dandy

I'm with you, I never understood it either. Highlands didn't improve all that much at all this season. all they did was play some really bad teams the second half of the schedule. The Highland fans want everyone to believe they were going to make it to BG again but it seems only those with non biased eyes could clearly see Highlands was not very good and was fortunate to have a very weak schedule the second half of the season.

Lets take a look at what they did this year. Every team they lost to during the regular season, they lost to by at least 3 TD's. Every single one of them.

Highlands losses in the regular season came to teams with a combined record of 51-13. Every one of those teams beat Highlands by at least 21 points.

Highlands wins in the regular season came against teams with a combined record of 14-44. That is horrible.

Highlands did not beat a single team with a winning record. To claim how much Highlands improved is just false. Maybe it's just their way of making themselves feel better about their team, I don't know, but the arrogance of them claiming all year long that they would still make it to BG and that Pulaski Co. wasn't good enough as they claimed the entire year was a joke.

Teams in NKY have taken it from Highlands fans for years about how great Highlands was and that no NKY team outside of their district was brave enough to play them. Then this year several teams took scheduled them to finally squash their arrogance and claims that teams have ducked them and what happens? They get beat, and not by just a Field Goal or TD, but they get destroyed in every game against good NKY teams. I sat back and just watched and predicted exactly what would happen because we know the fan base oh so well. I knew as soon as they got to the second half of the schedule where they had 0 win teams and 1 win teams and 3 win teams scheduled they would win because they were playing teams just a little worse than they were and that would convince the fans that they were improving and would start making statements about how much they improved and they would be in BG once again. They didn't improve much at all, they were just beating bad teams, teams worse than they were. They beat a Campbell Co. team that only had 1 win and that was against a winless Boone Co. team who by the way was another team Highlands beat. They beat a 3 win Dixie team, so they beat 3 teams with a total of 4 combined wins, yet that was enough to make many of their fans think they were improving. Just wasn't the case at all. I think the only thing it did was give the players some confidence they needed and that was a great sign. The problem was, the fans were wrong and they will never admit it.

Highlands had a down year, it happens. Re group and get better for next year. They will have a great chance to improve a lot record wise next year because many of the teams that crushed them this year will be down next year. Just don't tell us how great your team was when reality was they didn't improve from the beginning of the year at all. the only difference is they didn't have to play the teams that had a combined win loss record of 51-13 anymore the last half of the season. Instead they got teams that spent most of their season playing with running clocks hung on them.
Forever Maroon Wrote:Can't really say for all the others but, if Highlands QB is going to Central Michigan, Riley Hall is definitely D1 talent. If you watched that game last night Riley Hall was better than the D1 QB from the Bluebirds.

Justs about every team Highlands played this year had a better QB than their DI QB, that is just a fact. It's who you know sometimes, not how good you are.
HHellBird Wrote:I'm with you, I never understood it either. Highlands didn't improve all that much at all this season. all they did was play some really bad teams the second half of the schedule. The Highland fans want everyone to believe they were going to make it to BG again but it seems only those with non biased eyes could clearly see Highlands was not very good and was fortunate to have a very weak schedule the second half of the season.

Lets take a look at what they did this year. Every team they lost to during the regular season, they lost to by at least 3 TD's. Every single one of them.

Highlands losses in the regular season came to teams with a combined record of 51-13. Every one of those teams beat Highlands by at least 21 points.

Highlands wins in the regular season came against teams with a combined record of 14-44. That is horrible.

Highlands did not beat a single team with a winning record. To claim how much Highlands improved is just false. Maybe it's just their way of making themselves feel better about their team, I don't know, but the arrogance of them claiming all year long that they would still make it to BG and that Pulaski Co. wasn't good enough as they claimed the entire year was a joke.

Teams in NKY have taken it from Highlands fans for years about how great Highlands was and that no NKY team outside of their district was brave enough to play them. Then this year several teams took scheduled them to finally squash their arrogance and claims that teams have ducked them and what happens? They get beat, and not by just a Field Goal or TD, but they get destroyed in every game against good NKY teams. I sat back and just watched and predicted exactly what would happen because we know the fan base oh so well. I knew as soon as they got to the second half of the schedule where they had 0 win teams and 1 win teams and 3 win teams scheduled they would win because they were playing teams just a little worse than they were and that would convince the fans that they were improving and would start making statements about how much they improved and they would be in BG once again. They didn't improve much at all, they were just beating bad teams, teams worse than they were. They beat a Campbell Co. team that only had 1 win and that was against a winless Boone Co. team who by the way was another team Highlands beat. They beat a 3 win Dixie team, so they beat 3 teams with a total of 4 combined wins, yet that was enough to make many of their fans think they were improving. Just wasn't the case at all. I think the only thing it did was give the players some confidence they needed and that was a great sign. The problem was, the fans were wrong and they will never admit it.

Highlands had a down year, it happens. Re group and get better for next year. They will have a great chance to improve a lot record wise next year because many of the teams that crushed them this year will be down next year. Just don't tell us how great your team was when reality was they didn't improve from the beginning of the year at all. the only difference is they didn't have to play the teams that had a combined win loss record of 51-13 anymore the last half of the season. Instead they got teams that spent most of their season playing with running clocks hung on them.

All I can say is that they turned in their equipment after your beloved Cooper team did now didn't they?
HHellBird Wrote:Justs about every team Highlands played this year had a better QB than their DI QB, that is just a fact. It's who you know sometimes, not how good you are.

Maybe he could go and play Division 3 football with your kid. Would be a great combination. Fact is again, Highlands was playing deeper into the playoffs than your beloved Cooper Jags were not weren't they?
mantax Wrote:Maybe he could go and play Division 3 football with your kid. Would be a great combination. Fact is again, Highlands was playing deeper into the playoffs than your beloved Cooper Jags were not weren't they?

Sad thing is he couldn't start for my boys DIII team
Fact is they got their butts handed to them by that Cooper team also didn't they?

Don't hate the teams better than yours, just accept the facts that this year was a down year for Highlands instead of trying to suggest they were one of the best teams in the state, when the fact is they weren't even the best team in the area.

You want to talk facts? I'm all for it. Instead of you trying to bash other programs that were clearly better than yours, tell us how they improved over the year. I'd love to hear your logic on that. I will give you one thing, the only improvement I seen was instead of losing to a team with a winning record by 3 scores, they only lost to a winning team in their last game by 2 scores. There you go.
HHellBird Wrote:Sad thing is he couldn't start for my boys DIII team
Fact is they got their butts handed to them by that Cooper team also didn't they?

Don't hate the teams better than yours, just accept the facts that this year was a down year for Highlands instead of trying to suggest they were one of the best teams in the state, when the fact is they weren't even the best team in the area.

You want to talk facts? I'm all for it. Instead of you trying to bash other programs that were clearly better than yours, tell us how they improved over the year. I'd love to hear your logic on that. I will give you one thing, the only improvement I seen was instead of losing to a team with a winning record by 3 scores, they only lost to a winning team in their last game by 2 scores. There you go.

Nah. That's okay. I will let you enjoy your offseason and get ready for next year. Maybe Cooper will finally be playing later in the season than Highlands. That is the only fact that matters in this conversation.
Nothing for me to say. It's already been said. I can't top HHellbird
I'm taking Highlands in this p!ssing contest. Their tradition is much greater than that of Cooper.
PC coaches made half time adjustments. HHS really didn't need to make any. Other than a few minor ones. They were playing well enough. But once PC adjustments started to work. (Kendall over 100 yards at half. And about 5 the entire 2nd half) And PC offense dominating. HHS coaches had no answer on either side of the ball. It's not just me. About 4 or 5 other people told me the exact same thing. And unlike me. They were at the game.
mantax Wrote:Nah. That's okay. I will let you enjoy your offseason and get ready for next year. Maybe Cooper will finally be playing later in the season than Highlands. That is the only fact that matters in this conversation.

I actually think Cooper will be down next year. See that is something that unbiased fans of the game can admit about their teams. Unlike the blind lemmings in FT Thomas.
bo67 Wrote:Cooper??? Has nothing to do with PC coaches making half time adjustments. HHS really didn't need to make any. Other than a few minor ones. They were playing well enough. But once PC adjustments started to work. (Kendall over 100 yards at half. And about 5 the entire 2nd half) And PC offense dominating. HHS coaches had no answer on either side of the ball. It's not just me. About 4 or 5 other people told me the exact same thing. And unlike me. They were at the game.

Bingo!! Exactly! This thread has nothing to do with Cooper but when Highlands fans can't admit they were wrong they have to try and spin it in another direction.

PC is the defending 5A state champions. This is 5A Highlands, not the easiest of all classes 4A.
Wildcat18 Wrote:I'm taking Highlands in this p!ssing contest. Their tradition is much greater than that of Cooper.

Never once said anything about their tradition or history. What was said was the FACT that after all the highlands fans touted how improved the team was from the first half of the season to now was totally false. The facts show they still couldn't win against any team with a winning record this year. They didn't improve yet their fanbase seems to think they were something special this year when in fact they were one of the worst Highlands teams in the programs history. Don't let the facts get in the way of the illusion of how great they were this year I guess.
Before we can compare traditions. How old of a school is Highlands vs Cooper???
bo67 Wrote:Before we can compare traditions. How old of a school is Highlands vs Cooper???

Let him go. If he has to use a school that is only in their 8th season as a comparison to tradition then there is no helping him. Although what the school has accomplished in only 8 seasons is pretty impressive. 5 district championships, 2 regional championships and state final game is not too shabby in a short time frame.

What he misses is I didn't bring Cooper into this conversation about comparing one to the other, he did. I was simply talking about Highlands team this year and how they were down compared to what their fanbase would have you believe when they talked about how much they improved over the season as they predicted another state title game once they beat a 1 win team in Campbell County.
HHellBird Wrote:I'm with you, I never understood it either. Highlands didn't improve all that much at all this season. all they did was play some really bad teams the second half of the schedule. The Highland fans want everyone to believe they were going to make it to BG again but it seems only those with non biased eyes could clearly see Highlands was not very good and was fortunate to have a very weak schedule the second half of the season.

Well said. Spot on.

Don't know a lot about the Northern schools but the win against Cov Catholic in the regional final was impressive I thought!!
Gotta give those Highland fans credit. They sure know how to write a novel expressing their feelings about their Bluebirds!
Slotback22 Wrote:Gotta give those Highland fans credit. They sure know how to write a novel expressing their feelings about their Bluebirds!

The novel is from a Cooper blowhard. And Hell, how do you know if Highlands improved or not if you were not at any of the games? That is right, you cannot. Again Highlands was still wearing their equipment when Cooper was getting ready for next year.

And Bo, sorry cannot help you with your butt hurt my friend. Perhaps if you were the coach they would not have lost a game in the last 100 years of football.

Carry on with the discussion and take everything Bird has to say with a pinch of salt because his HATE simply speaks volumes.

Time to move on and get ready for next year. And Hellbird, if you ever want some tickets to come up to Central Michigan and watch big boy football let me know.
LOL. I just love it. Words words and more crap. No no. Wouldn't be undefeated. But for a fact. Could out coach him.
Lol Cooper fans...god bless them..talking about how bad Highlands was this year then bragging about how Cooper beat Highlands like 5 months ago.

Its a weird feeling for this Highlands fan, being the first time in 9 years that Highlands hasn't been in a state game. And before you chest thumpers say "welcome to 5A", yes Highlands has won multiple 5A championships.

But congrats to PC. Now lets keep the State Title on the East side of the state.
Willie Turnover Wrote:Blair went to Ball State Boone went to Ohio university.

I agree Johnson could play D1 somewhere. He just needs to find the right fit.

I thought Alex Abner was as good an athlete as anyone mentioned above but he went to Lindsey Wilson.

I agree with Warrior that Johnson, Hall, Helton, Gregory, Whitaker and a host of others could really excel at that level.
I agree completely with Willie Turnover. PC has some major talent being overlooked by schools every where. Those you named may be the most underrated group of players in the state.
Jaxkait Wrote:Don't know a lot about the Northern schools but the win against Cov Catholic in the regional final was impressive I thought!!

Cov Cath's record was 5-8
mantax Wrote:. And Hellbird, if you ever want some tickets to come up to Central Michigan and watch big boy football let me know.

I may take you up on that Smile although I'd rather go up and watch a game he's playing in and not sitting the bench. So just pm me when he is playing and I'll go up with you and I will even supply the tailgate supplies!

I honestly hope he has a great career, never once said I ever wanted to see him fail. I support all kids from the area who go on to play at the next level no matter where they are playing. I think you misconstrue what has been said about whether or not he is a DI caliber QB to people hating on him which couldn't be further from the truth. If you take off your blue colored glasses for once and simply understand what has been said yo may not think everyone is hating on your boy. I hope he becomes the greatest QB ever to play the game. The thing that more and more people are bringing up is simply the fact that he was given a DI scholarship before even taking a Varsity snap as a starter. He has the size, but the games he has played the opposing QB's more times than not have been better and they aren't DI scholarship players. Thats all that has been stated, he is not what many would say is a DI QB. Everyone knows why he got his offer and as I said the time it was first announced he got an offer I stated he needed to sign it then and there and this was long before the season started. Sign it because we didn't see other DI offers coming his way. Take advantage of who you know and where you play if that will help and he did exactly that. Nothing wrong with that at all and is what I would have done also. That does not mean that everyone who said he didn't look ready for DI was wrong this year and that is where you are confusing this with.

Hope he has a great college career. With that said, he played against better QB's than him this year, all season long.
I know Austin well. 1 of only 2 players I really know well on this years team. I spoke with Austin through text a few times this year. He wasn't sometimes happy with his play. I just told him to stay focused, work hard and stay in the fight. He's a great kid. Told him to keep working hard in the classroom. I hope he does well in college. We will just have to see how things play out. I've known him since he played for the Red Devils. I helped coach the Union Jags against him.