Poll: Who wins it?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Paintsville
75.00%
Shelby Valley
25.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paintsville Vs. Shelby Valley
BigMelon63 Wrote:I don't see Coach Chirico letting off the gas at this point. The Starters will start. They just came off a bye week.
Tigers 38
Wildcats 14

At this point I see both teams playing their starters, but not very long :moon:
If the starters due play for both teams this could be a great game, or a blow out. I think if sv can run the ball on the Tigers and eat a lot of clock it could be a close one. If the tigers jump out to and early lead and shut down sv run, it's going to get ugly for the wild cats.
Tigers 35
Wildcats 21
Paintsville - 42

Shelby Valley - 20
Paintsville has one of the best 1A teams that I have seen in a while. Had Mayfield not moved up I wonder if this team could have knocked them off?
Orange Blaze Wrote:Paintsville has one of the best 1A teams that I have seen in a while. Had Mayfield not moved up I wonder if this team could have knocked them off?

Let's see if they can knock Pikeville off in the semis before we play the what if game. Geez then Beechwood. Double geez SV first Friday.

Go hype go.:Cheerlead

Here's how SV shredded Paintsville D last year:

Hampton, Jordan
1 6 0
Layne, Donavon
1 8 0
Rowe, Chandler
21 175 1
Tackett, Kasey
14 158 2
jetpilot Wrote:Let's see if they can knock Pikeville off in the semis before we play the what if game. Geez then Beechwood. Double geez SV first Friday.

Hampton, Jordan
1 6 0
Layne, Donavon
1 8 0
Rowe, Chandler
21 175 1
Tackett, Kasey
14 158 2

That's almost 10 yards per carry for those who have arithmetic skills.
jetpilot Wrote:Let's see if they can knock Pikeville off in the semis before we play the what if game. Geez then Beechwood. Double geez SV first Friday.

Hampton, Jordan
1 6 0
Layne, Donavon
1 8 0
Rowe, Chandler
21 175 1
Tackett, Kasey
14 158 2
"Shredded" equaled a loss. We'll take it every time. A win is a win.
I'm sure you will take 6 turnovers every time too. My point was SV backs can/did/will shred Paintsville.

Hampton, Jordan
1 6 0
Layne, Donavon
1 8 0
Rowe, Chandler
21 175 1
Tackett, Kasey
14 158 2
Both teams have to make it to the semi's first. If they do, we could be witnesses to the biggest Class A football game to ever be played in these mountains.
Redneck Wrote:Both teams have to make it to the semi's first. If they do, we could be witnesses to the biggest Class A football game to ever be played in these mountains.

I totally agree and think it will happen. You will have to eat your Thanksgiving dinner and go straight to the field to get a seat lol.....Love it for both schools.
jetpilot Wrote:Here's how SV shredded Paintsville D last year:

Hampton, Jordan
1 6 0
Layne, Donavon
1 8 0
Rowe, Chandler
21 175 1
Tackett, Kasey
14 158 2

TigerFan3 Wrote:"Shredded" equaled a loss. We'll take it every time. A win is a win.

jetpilot Wrote:I'm sure you will take 6 turnovers every time too. My point was SV backs can/did/will shred Paintsville.

The backs for Valley had 37 carries for a total of 347 yards last year. They were able to move the ball pretty much at will. But it's hard to walk away with a win over any good team when you have 6 turnovers. SV coughed it up way too much, and because of that they didn't deserve the win.

But TigerFan is missing the point. Sure, any team will take a win any way they can get it (shoot, I would've loved it if NewCath had put it on the ground 8-9 times last year and let us sneak away with a win). But when you win despite giving up nearly 350 yards on the ground, it doesn't give you a lot of confidence in your defense.

Rowe and Tackett won't go into this game scared of the Paintsville defense. They know they can run on them because they just did it last year.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:The backs for Valley had 37 carries for a total of 347 yards last year. They were able to move the ball pretty much at will. But it's hard to walk away with a win over any good team when you have 6 turnovers. SV coughed it up way too much, and because of that they didn't deserve the win.

But TigerFan is missing the point. Sure, any team will take a win any way they can get it (shoot, I would've loved it if NewCath had put it on the ground 8-9 times last year and let us sneak away with a win). But when you win despite giving up nearly 350 yards on the ground, it doesn't give you a lot of confidence in your defense.

Rowe and Tackett won't go into this game scared of the Paintsville defense. They know they can run on them because they just did it last year.

Exactly. And now SV is distributing it to 3 backs. And Paintsville is finally on the road.
Orange Blaze Wrote:Paintsville has one of the best 1A teams that I have seen in a while. Had Mayfield not moved up I wonder if this team could have knocked them off?

Paintsville is a very good team. But I don't see how you can make that statement about them without lumping Pikeville into that same sentence. I watched the game between them earlier this year, and Pikeville actually outplayed the Tigers most of the game. But some untimely turnovers were Pikeville's undoing, and now Paintsville is the team riding the wave of publicity while the Panthers are quietly trucking along in the shadows.

I don't see how anyone could say that Paintsville is DEFINITIVELY better than Pikeville. Both teams seemed pretty evenly matched to me, and if they meet again it would have to be considered a toss-up.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:The backs for Valley had 37 carries for a total of 347 yards last year. They were able to move the ball pretty much at will. But it's hard to walk away with a win over any good team when you have 6 turnovers. SV coughed it up way too much, and because of that they didn't deserve the win.

Last year was last year, totally different team(s) although it may not matter depending on how long the starters play but the reminiscing does make for good theories :argue:
Paintsville/Pikeville will be very different next time. Both teams are improved and will have more players involved in the offense. I'm really interested to see how Paintsville defense looks against SV running attack. Didn't look good at all last year. Another thing, Raceland's 2 backs who aren't as good as SV's 3 averaged 9+ yards/carry last week. I know they got blown out but it's because they got behind and had to pass.
TigerBlues Wrote:Last year was last year, totally different team(s) although it may not matter depending on how long the starters play but the reminiscing does make for good theories :argue:

SV is the same team + another very tough RB getting the ball. If the starters play at all we will see if the Tigers can slow down a decent running game.
TigerBlues Wrote:Last year was last year, totally different team(s) although it may not matter depending on how long the starters play but the reminiscing does make for good theories :argue:

No theories here. Valley lost because they turned the ball over 6 times, plain and simple. When you turn it over that many times, you don't deserve to win. And you definitely won't if you're playing a solid team like Paintsville. Fortunately for Valley, they seem to have gotten away from the fumble problems that seemed to follow them in 2014.

But even though that game was last year, the teams are not TOTALLY different. I know that Valley only graduated a handful of seniors and returned pretty much all their offensive skill players. One positive difference for Valley is that their 2-headed rushing attack from last year has expanded into a 3-headed attack as Hampton has gotten more involved with the offense.

My understanding is that Paintsville also returned the majority of their team from last year as well. Obviously Daniel, Phelps, and Trimble all are back. With an added year of growth and experience, both teams should be even stronger than their 2014 versions.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
jetpilot Wrote:SV is the same team + another very tough RB getting the ball. If the starters play at all we will see if the Tigers can slow down a decent running game.

I suppose we will, but if I'm betting the defense won't play long and I've lost bets before :blondetea
TigerBlues Wrote:I suppose we will, but if I'm betting the defense won't play long and I've lost bets before :blondetea

You haven't lost any this year lol...
jetpilot Wrote:You haven't lost any this year lol...

I'm waiting on huge melons to chime in with the breakdown :pondering:
jetpilot Wrote:Paintsville/Pikeville will be very different next time. Both teams are improved and will have more players involved in the offense. I'm really interested to see how Paintsville defense looks against SV running attack. Didn't look good at all last year. Another thing, Raceland's 2 backs who aren't as good as SV's 3 averaged 9+ yards/carry last week. I know they got blown out but it's because they got behind and had to pass.

Well I guess by using last year logic if there is a Paintsville v pikeville rematch the Tigers will increase their win margin considerably
BlueCrew34 Wrote:Well I guess by using last year logic if there is a Paintsville v pikeville rematch the Tigers will increase their win margin considerably

I guess.:biggrin:
TigerBlues Wrote:I'm waiting on huge melons to chime in with the breakdown :pondering:

Giant Melons will say the film breakdown favors Paintsville. But he hasn't lost any bets this year either.:truestory:
I should be going to the game on Friday. Will I see giant melons there? :biggrin:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
These agreements to not play starters will not work. At least I hope not, play the game. Don't the fans deserve this? As far as injuries, I don't think either team has any right now. This 6th grade psychology trick of starting rumors of injuries is a joke. If you save skill players for play-offs,just say that is what you are doing,nothing wrong with that. I think in the end that egos will take over and total yards and a no loss season will determine who plays. I remember a similar situation and coaches tried to change jerseys and everything.
JUST PLAY THE GAME!!!!!!! AND PLEASE STOP THIS MADE UP INJURY GAME
More Cowbell Wrote:I should be going to the game on Friday. Will I see giant melons there? :biggrin:

Yes! And BigMelon63 will be there as well!:Cheerlead
Mjolnir Wrote:These agreements to not play starters will not work. At least I hope not, play the game. Don't the fans deserve this? As far as injuries, I don't think either team has any right now. This 6th grade psychology trick of starting rumors of injuries is a joke. If you save skill players for play-offs,just say that is what you are doing,nothing wrong with that. I think in the end that egos will take over and total yards and a no loss season will determine who plays. I remember a similar situation and coaches tried to change jerseys and everything.
JUST PLAY THE GAME!!!!!!! AND PLEASE STOP THIS MADE UP INJURY GAME

Agreed. These teams have won 17 straight games between them this year and I can't see either one giving up their momentum to not try to win this game. And if either team thinks they don't need to be tested before the playoffs they are kidding themselves. Don't hear any other teams saying they will not play their starters! You think Johnson Central and Belfry won't be getting after each other in a big way? Don't think so! Big boy football time! If you are afraid of getting hit stay at the house!:rockon:
Would like to know which game to watch,sounds like JC/Belfry may be best choice. Play the game!!!
jetpilot Wrote:Agreed. These teams have won 17 straight games between them this year and I can't see either one giving up their momentum to not try to win this game. And if either team thinks they don't need to be tested before the playoffs they are kidding themselves. Don't hear any other teams saying they will not play their starters! You think Johnson Central and Belfry won't be getting after each other in a big way? Don't think so! Big boy football time! If you are afraid of getting hit stay at the house!:rockon:

Actually, if you read the JC/Belfry thread, the exact same speculation is going on as to how much each team will play their starters. Hopefully (for the fans' sake) both teams will play their starters and see where they are.

But if the coach of any of these teams feels like a dinged-up player could use a week of rest before the playoffs, who are we to argue? If that's what they feel will give them the best chance to get to Bowling Green...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Actually, if you read the JC/Belfry thread, the exact same speculation is going on as to how much each team will play their starters. Hopefully (for the fans' sake) both teams will play their starters and see where they are.

But if the coach of any of these teams feels like a dinged-up player could use a week of rest before the playoffs, who are we to argue? If that's what they feel will give them the best chance to get to Bowling Green...

Why did they schedule the game then? Dinged-up player is one thing, making it a JV game is very different. Just schedule Berea if you don't feel like playing.